Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Share

    T-47

    Posts : 211
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  T-47 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    The issue is the huge waste of human resources for such a low-capability ship (> 250 sailors). A small FAC can have 8 Urans and an OPV can perform the rest of its duties. And that keeping busy less people and having two vessels in its place, for much longer time.

    I highly doubt this vessel will be of any use to anyone past 2025. It's a waste of money to keep it afloat like that imo.

    I think it is rather good for training new sailors. 250 at once! Firing guns, Uran and sea-helo training package included.
    By 2025 there will be enough vessels to replace it. My opinion they should remove it from active front line duty but keep it as training ship by 2025.
    BTW 48years in service, she deserves her Golden Jubilee in active service.
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2146
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:29 pm

    [quote="T-47"]
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Smetlivy is a destroyer. Lots of new kids came, get old and get scrapped but this granny is still trolling around like a boss afro

    Easy there. It's a frigate, going by tonnage and capability. And not even a heavy one at that.

    T-47

    Posts : 211
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  T-47 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    T-47 wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:Smetlivy is a destroyer. Lots of new kids came, get old and get scrapped but this granny is still trolling around like a boss afro

    Easy there. It's a frigate, going by tonnage and capability. And not even a heavy one at that.

    Officially its a destroyer from the beginning. So it is a destroyer, always.
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2146
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:30 pm

    T-47 wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    The issue is the huge waste of human resources for such a low-capability ship (> 250 sailors). A small FAC can have 8 Urans and an OPV can perform the rest of its duties. And that keeping busy less people and having two vessels in its place, for much longer time.

    I highly doubt this vessel will be of any use to anyone past 2025. It's a waste of money to keep it afloat like that imo.

    I think it is rather good for training new sailors. 250 at once! Firing guns, Uran and sea-helo training package included.
    By 2025 there will be enough vessels to replace it. My opinion they should remove it from active front line duty but keep it as training ship by 2025.
    BTW 48years in service, she deserves her Golden Jubilee in active service.

    If it becomes a training ship, then sure it is useful. But it's definitely not fit for front line duty and even for anti-piracy missions, it just keeps a wasteful amount of sailors busy.
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2146
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:32 pm

    T-47 wrote:Officially its a destroyer from the beginning. So it is a destroyer, always.

    I know, like those 1940s and 1950s destroyers. Not anymore.
    For 2017, since it's used by RuN as active duty ship, it's essentially a frigate with very old SAMs and sensors and moderately capable SSMs.

    T-47

    Posts : 211
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  T-47 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:36 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    I know, like those 1940s and 1950s destroyers. Not anymore.
    For 2017, since it's used by RuN as active duty ship, it's essentially a frigate with very old SAMs and sensors and moderately capable SSMs.

    I agree but its not built in 2017. So its still a destroyer. No one reclassified it yet. But for todays term its a large patrol boat not even frigate.
    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2146
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  KiloGolf on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:45 pm

    T-47 wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    I know, like those 1940s and 1950s destroyers. Not anymore.
    For 2017, since it's used by RuN as active duty ship, it's essentially a frigate with very old SAMs and sensors and moderately capable SSMs.

    I agree but its not built in 2017. So its still a destroyer. No one reclassified it yet. But for todays term its a large patrol boat not even frigate.

    It has a basic SAM and SSM capability and it's within frigate tonnage, which is way over the ''patrol boat'' category.

    ''Large patrol boat'' is probably an old Russian term that nobody uses afaik. Unless it's code for ''look, we can't get them frigate built on-time so we keep this old 60s destroyer around, give it a fancy name".

    lol1

    T-47

    Posts : 211
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  T-47 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:46 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:

    It has a basic SAM and SSM capability and it's within frigate tonnage, which is way over the ''patrol boat'' category.

    ''Large patrol boat'' is probably an old Russian term that nobody uses afaik. Unless it's code for ''look, we can't get them frigate built on-time so we keep this old 60s destroyer around, give it a fancy name".

    lol1

    Well lets use the fancy name then Very Happy
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5611
    Points : 5715
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:06 pm

    .
    Just to add, once this ship is out of service it still won't be getting scraped.

    With it's age and being last of it's kind it will become museum ship more likely than not.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10666
    Points : 11145
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  George1 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:18 pm

    Infographics on the decision of the Navy of the task of protecting commercial maritime shipping

    Since 2008, the ships of the Navy have carried out 32 campaigns to the Gulf of Aden and other pirate dangerous directions, accompanied by 152 caravans and 727 ships (of which 56 are vessels under the Russian flag).
    Also, ten attempts to capture were prevented, seven boats and 80 pirates were detained. In addition to the Gulf of Aden, Russian military vessels surveyed the Singapore and Malacca Straits, the South China Sea and the Caribbean.

    Https://www.facebook.com/pg/mod.mil.rus





    http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/2006916.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3204
    Points : 3327
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  kvs on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:27 pm

    http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-is-why-the-russian-navy-is-such-a-basket-case

    referred to by https://amp.businessinsider.com/this-is-why-the-russian-navy-is-such-a-mess-2017-8

    Looks like the western media has a grip on the realities of the Russian navy....not. Especially funny is the yapping
    about Chinese replacements for the Ukrainian gas turbine engines on August 31, 2017. Under what rock has this
    Bellingcat wannabe been living...
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1420
    Points : 1421
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  AlfaT8 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:54 pm

    kvs wrote:http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-is-why-the-russian-navy-is-such-a-basket-case

    referred to by https://amp.businessinsider.com/this-is-why-the-russian-navy-is-such-a-mess-2017-8

    Looks like the western media has a grip on the realities of the Russian navy....not.    Especially funny is the yapping
    about Chinese replacements for the Ukrainian gas turbine engines on August 31, 2017.   Under what rock has this
    Bellingcat wannabe been living...

    Bhahaha.... that half wit again, first a forensics "expert", then recently a political "expert" (http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41036631) and now some military "expert", seriously, this guy can be whateve you want him to be, who knows maybe soon he'll be some cooking "expert". Laughing
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 630
    Points : 628
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  hoom on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:49 pm

    You can't even really call that an article.
    Guy watched the linked auto-voice vid & made a summary with mistakes the vid didn't make.
    avatar
    Benya

    Posts : 528
    Points : 532
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  Benya on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:08 pm

    Kalashnikov Group Showcased new BK-16 FAC and BK-10 RHIB at Army-2017

    Russia`s Kalashnikov Group (a subsidiary of the Rostec state corporation) has developed new fast attack craft (FAC). They were demonstrated at the Army-2017 international military-technical forum held outside Moscow from August 22-27.


    BK-16 FAC at Army-2017

    The company showcased the BK-16 FAC intended for offshore operations, troops transporting, fire support, counter-piracy and counter-terror missions and search-and-rescue (SAR) operations. According to the official catalogue of the Kalashnikov Group, the FAC has a full displacement of 19.5 t, a length of 16.45 m, a width of 4.0 m, a draught of 0.87 m, a height over waterline of 4.33 m. It has a crew of two members and can transport up to 19 servicemen. The craft features a cruising range of 400 nautical miles and an endurance of one day. The BK-16 is powered by two engines with a power output of 780 hp each. The FAC demonstrated at the Army-2017 international military-technical forum received a remote control weapon station (RCWS) with a heavy machinegun (HMG) and several medium machineguns


    Kalashnikov Group video

    Kalashnikov also exhibited the BK-10 craft also intended for offshore operations, personnel transportation, troop landing on unprepared beaches, fire support, counter-piracy and counter-terror missions, medical evacuation and salvage services. According to the official catalogue of the Kalashnikov Group, the BK-10 FAC has a full displacement of 6.6 t, a length of 10.48 m, a width of 3.7 m, a draught of 0.6 m, a height over waterline of 2.8 m, a maximum speed of 40 knots and an economical speed of 22 knots. It has a crew of two members and can transport up to 10 servicemen. The craft features a cruising range of 400 nautical miles and an endurance of one day. The BK-10 is powered by two engines with a power output of 300 hp each.

    The Kalashnikov Group has developed two more FAC not showcased at the Army-2017 international military-technical forum. The BK-18 multipurpose craft is intended for offshore operations, personnel transporting, troop landing on unprepared beaches, fire support, counter-piracy and counter-terror operations, salvage missions and medical evacuation. According to the official catalogue of the Kalashnikov Group, the BK-18 FAC has a full displacement of 25 t, a length of 18.6 m, a width of 4.55 m, a draught of 0.8 m, a height over waterline of 4.5 m, a maximum speed of 40 knots and an economical speed of 26 knots. It has a crew of three members and can transport up to 19 servicemen. The craft features a cruising range of 400 nautical miles and an endurance of two days. The BK-18 is powered by two engines with a power output of 1,300 hp each.

    The BK-9 fast boat also developed by the Kalashnikov Group is designed to accomplish a wide range of missions in forward and base areas including transportation of up to 10 equipped servicemen to a ship being inspected and to the shore, fire supporting of special forces and naval infantry units and conducting of patrol, sabotage and counter-sabotage actions. The boat can be made in medical evacuation, diving and armoured perimeter configurations. According to the official catalogue of the Kalashnikov Group, the BK-9 fast boat has a full displacement of 7.4 t with armour protection and 6.5 t in non-armoured configuration, a length of 9.9 m, a width of 3.07 m, a draught of 0.65 m, a height of 3.2 m, a maximum speed of 40 knots and an economical speed of 22 knots. It has a crew of two members and can transport up to nine servicemen. The craft features a cruising range of 400 nautical miles. The BK-9 is powered by two waterjet engines with a power output of 370 hp each.

    Arrow https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2017/september-2017-navy-naval-forces-defense-industry-technology-maritime-security-global-news/5536-kalashnikov-group-showcased-new-bk-16-fac-and-bk-10-rhib-at-army-2017.html

    Austin

    Posts : 6386
    Points : 6787
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  Austin on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:08 pm

    The Russian Navy in modern times

    avatar
    ZoA

    Posts : 36
    Points : 42
    Join date : 2017-08-20

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  ZoA on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 pm

    kvs wrote:http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-is-why-the-russian-navy-is-such-a-basket-case

    referred to by https://amp.businessinsider.com/this-is-why-the-russian-navy-is-such-a-mess-2017-8

    Looks like the western media has a grip on the realities of the Russian navy....not.    Especially funny is the yapping
    about Chinese replacements for the Ukrainian gas turbine engines on August 31, 2017.   Under what rock has this
    Bellingcat wannabe been living...

    Good. Let's hope they keep on doing it. If your enemy is making a mistake never correct him.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5163
    Points : 5226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 pm

    SeaWaves Magazine‏ @seawaves_mag 14h14 hours ago

    RFS Azov scheduled to make an affiliation visit to her namesake September 8th according to http://flot.com



    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5163
    Points : 5226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:49 pm

    Wonder what she is up to this time. Apart from mapping that hole of course.

    Steffan Watkins @steffanwatkins Sep 8
    Replying to @steffanwatkins

    Russian Navy RV #Yantar still at the ~same location, going on 3 days now, ~50NM from the Libyan shore, over a ~3600m deep spot. #RVYantar


    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5163
    Points : 5226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

    Numbers-Stations.com‏ @Spy_Stations 13m13 minutes ago

    New major map of the Russian Naval Bases and general assessment about Russian Navy by @Spy_Stations http://www.numbers-stations.com/russian-naval-bases/


    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5163
    Points : 5226
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:15 pm

    SeaWaves Magazine‏ @seawaves_mag 18h18 hours ago

    Iskatel, the Russian special operations protocraft, was unveiled during this year's IMDS in St Petersburg.


    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10666
    Points : 11145
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  George1 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:17 pm

    A detachment of warships returned to the main base of the Northern Fleet from the Arctic campaign''





    https://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/2056616.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10666
    Points : 11145
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  George1 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 pm



    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5611
    Points : 5715
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  PapaDragon on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:43 pm


    New polar observatory to be laid down:

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2886620.html



    Can anyone elaborate?
    avatar
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 1505
    Points : 1505
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  miketheterrible on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:04 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    New polar observatory to be laid down:

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2886620.html



    Can anyone elaborate?

    it's a polar observatory. It observes the Polar.

    T-47

    Posts : 211
    Points : 215
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  T-47 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:24 pm

    Mike says it all lol1 lol1

    Cute ship btw

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:12 am