Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Share
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1747
    Points : 1787
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:36 pm

    A1RMAN wrote: This. Plus having the big fleet there makes it easier to negotiate with nearby countries. angel

    Also off Yemen´s coast Smile
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:14 pm

    Good training reaction by NATO.

    There is a 3 day naval exercise starting today with around 8 NATO nationalities in Bergen. Clearly waiting to intercept the carrier task force that should be past them tonight/tomorrow.

    Photos are out there now showing a Su-33 overhead.



    This is in Bergen this morning



    Last edited by JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    zardof

    Posts : 16
    Points : 22
    Join date : 2016-01-04
    Age : 58
    Location : France

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  zardof on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:15 pm

    New adds to the current fleet near Tarlous : (http://flot.com/2016/%D0%A1%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F302/)
    BDK "N Filchenkov" (with patrol craft on board)
    BDK "G Pobedonosets"
    Tar class  Missile craft "Ivanovets"
    Hydrographic ship "Donuzlav"
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:38 pm

    Also looks like there is a gathering of USN P-8A aircraft at RAF Lossiemouth. One landed yesterday from the US, another just now from Italy.

    As well as a big gathering of Russian aircraft just south of the carrier task group. Looks like an in journey training opportunity being taken.



    Mark ‏@Mark_swl 18h18 hours ago

    RUSSIAN NAVY TRAINING FLTS IN HIGH SEA AREA OF THE NORTH SEA FROM 19 Oct 2016 TO 21 Oct 2016. SCHEDULE: DAILY 0700-1600 GMT
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm

    This is a brilliant showing of the seabed that they are heading for, wonder what's lurking down there at the edge?

    avatar
    zg18

    Posts : 881
    Points : 957
    Join date : 2013-09-26
    Location : Zagreb , Croatia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  zg18 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:53 pm

    JohninMK wrote:This is a brilliant showing of the seabed that they are heading for, wonder what's lurking down there at the edge?



    Somehow, this image gives me creeps...
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5610
    Points : 5651
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  Militarov on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:19 pm

    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:47 pm

    zg18 wrote:


    Somehow, this image gives me creeps...
    It certainly gives one a pretty good idea of where the SOSUS went.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:37 pm

    The Norwegian Navy is saying that there is routine communication between vessels and there has been any special events. Since yesterday evening they have been accompanied by NATO's standing maritime forces (Standing Naval Maritime Group 1 - SNMG1). The Norwegians are also saying that the air exercise I mentioned before was cancelled. They are currently south of the Shetlands heading into the North Sea. Eight ships confirmed.

    More pictures from the Norwegian Coastguard.





    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 pm

    This seems to be that NATO group of ships. Its getting mighty crowded out there Laughing

    https://twitter.com/GeneraalVerkerk/status/788733974017347584
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1434
    Points : 1435
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  AlfaT8 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:15 am

    JohninMK wrote:This seems to be that NATO group of ships. Its getting mighty crowded out there Laughing

    https://twitter.com/GeneraalVerkerk/status/788733974017347584

    Stomme sukkelaars, so much hoopla over this.
    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 642
    Points : 640
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  hoom on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 am

    The Norwegian Navy is saying that there is routine communication between vessels and there has been any special events
    No doubt.
    But no doubt the English language media is gonna do their best to make it sound like unprecedented aggression as if they're about to sail up the Thames & raise the Hammer & Sickle over Westminster sunny
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 867
    Points : 885
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  Big_Gazza on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:34 am

    hoom wrote:But no doubt the English language media is gonna do their best to make it sound like unprecedented aggression as if they're about to sail up the Thames & raise the Hammer & Sickle over Westminster  

    Is that an option?  Can we call it a "training exercise"?   Twisted Evil
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4488
    Points : 4661
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:07 am

    JohninMK wrote:This is a brilliant showing of the seabed that they are heading for, wonder what's lurking down there at the edge?


    Kanyon.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:03 pm

    The UK is shadowing the fleet with the frigate HMS Richmond whilst the air defence destroyer HMS Dragon has left Portsmouth.

    It appears that the two, I assume Black Sea ships, quoted to be corvettes, are now out in the Atlantic possibly going to meet the fleet further north with Dragon going to intercept them.

    This is Richmond, looks to be barely underway.



    Dragon leaving Portsmouth yesterday

    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 pm

    From the Guardian paper.

    The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and its accompanying contingent of seven ships is understood to be sailing for the Syrian coast to take part in the assault on Aleppo. Separately, two Russian ships are heading north from Portugal to join up with the taskforce.

    An MoD spokesman said it seemed certain the main flotilla would pass through the Channel soon. “They’re in the North Sea and they’re not going to turn west now – they are going to go through the Channel. It’s hard to say when,” he said.

    With bad weather building in the Bay of Biscay, the Russian ships had the option of either speeding up to stay ahead of it or hanging back to let it pass, the spokesman said. “Depending which of one of those they do will vary their time at Dover by potentially up to a day.”

    On current course and speed, the Kuznetsov and the other ships would pass by Dover first thing on Friday, whereas a “sprint” could see this happen around midnight, the spokesman said.

    When the Russian ships pass near Britain the MoD has promised to “man-mark them every step of the way”. The Kuznetsov taskforce is being tracked by HMS Richmond, a type 23 frigate, and HMS Duncan, a type 45 destroyer.

    “They will track them through Dover,” the MoD spokesman said. “The frigate will peel off at some point, and the destroyer will stay with them.”
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5760
    Points : 5864
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:23 pm

    JohninMK wrote:From the Guardian paper.

    The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and its accompanying contingent of seven ships is understood to be sailing for the Syrian coast to take part in the assault on Aleppo. Separately, two Russian ships are heading north from Portugal to join up with the taskforce.
    ...........

    Those would be Buyans right? What are they doing outside Med? They are not rated for ocean conditions.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:29 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:From the Guardian paper.

    The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and its accompanying contingent of seven ships is understood to be sailing for the Syrian coast to take part in the assault on Aleppo. Separately, two Russian ships are heading north from Portugal to join up with the taskforce.
    ...........

    Those would be Buyans right? What are they doing outside Med? They are not rated for ocean conditions.
    Think so, they are probably staying in a 'smooth' part of the Atlantic tracking the storm mentioned by the Guardian moving NE. They should be able to handle the Atlantic, ships that size did in WW2. Just need a few sick bags Smile
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:34 pm

    The Belgian Navy now on the job, interestingly on the UK not Belgium side of the fleet. The K will will building up quite a photo scrapbook!

    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5760
    Points : 5864
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:38 pm

    JohninMK wrote:...............
    Think so, they are probably staying in a 'smooth' part of the Atlantic tracking the storm mentioned by the Guardian moving NE. They should be able to handle the Atlantic, ships that size did in WW2. Just need a few sick bags Smile

    Yeah, I remember watching documentary about Atlantic convoys and how they had to go with mass produced corvettes during the early days.

    Just watching those tiny ships getting pummeled by waves is enough to make you feel uneasy. Now imagine being on-board. affraid  respekt
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm

    Now been joined by HMS Duncan, a type 45 destroyer, on the non UK east side of the fleet. Still a lot of smoke from the carrier.

    There is a pretty bad storm off Northern Spain and Portugal which the fleet seems to be going to run straight into, feel sorry, as you said Papa, for the crews of those corvettes.

    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 642
    Points : 640
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  hoom on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:03 am

    Those would be Buyans right? What are they doing outside Med? They are not rated for ocean conditions.
    If they've really gone out there it'll be very interesting to see how they cope.
    I'm wondering if they're Onyxed up to deter someone from trying something stupid.
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1747
    Points : 1787
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:13 am

    hoom wrote:
    Those would be Buyans right? What are they doing outside Med? They are not rated for ocean conditions.
    If they've really gone out there it'll be very interesting to see how they cope.
    I'm wondering if they're Onyxed up to deter someone from trying something stupid.

    Kalibrs with final phase on 3Ma is no that bad either


    JohninMK wrote:The Belgian Navy now on the job, interestingly on the UK not Belgium side of the fleet. The K will will building up quite a photo scrapbook!

    meeh they just want revenge " Belgian F-16 blooper" in Syria Razz
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1747
    Points : 1787
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:49 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:...............
    Think so, they are probably staying in a 'smooth' part of the Atlantic tracking the storm mentioned by the Guardian moving NE. They should be able to handle the Atlantic, ships that size did in WW2. Just need a few sick bags Smile

    Yeah, I remember watching documentary about Atlantic convoys and how they had to go with mass produced corvettes during the early days.

    Just watching those tiny ships getting pummeled by waves is enough to make you feel uneasy. Now imagine being on-board. affraid  respekt

    Or Columbus´  "ships" with 100t displacement Smile


    Last edited by GunshipDemocracy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5240
    Points : 5303
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:09 pm

    Start of a few pictures in the Channel. They are travelling really slowly, I estimate well under 10 knots. Perhaps because they can see a really nasty storm in their path and they are trying to let it die out a bit. Trouble is that that storm seems to be slow moving as well and the Black Sea corvettes could well be bouncing up and down at this moment in it off Portugal.

    The Su-33 well strapped down.










    This is the BBC news report http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37725327

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #3

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:36 am