Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

UKSK VLS System

Big_Gazza

Re: UKSK VLS System

Post  Big_Gazza on Sat May 13, 2017 6:33 am

chicken wrote:I thought the Э meant it's for export?

In this case, the Э designation is added as its part of advertising material for export warships. Domestic Russian navy versions will drop the Э.
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza on Sat May 13, 2017 6:57 am

GarryB wrote:Not sure a containerless one would work as the missiles they carry are mostly hot launched...

Are they hot launched? The 3C-14 VLS deck layout doesn't appear to include any seperate flame vents as you would see with a USN VLS. Looking at both Oniks & Kalibre firings, I'm not convinced. To my eye, they appear be ejected from their containers by a low-pressure slow-burning "black powder" charge or similar, and the missile motors are ignited as soon as the missile leaves the tube. Oniks & Kalibre are simply too large and heavy to be ejected from their tubes by a low-energy method like compressed air (which is OK for relatively low mass SAMs, but not practical for heavy AShMs). "Cold" launch is a bit of a misnomer - "warm" launch is a better description.

Admittedly its hard to see... does anyone have a reliable reference that describes the launch sequence?

Big_Gazza

UKSK launchers

Post  Big_Gazza on Sun May 14, 2017 4:34 pm

hoom wrote:I'd call it a pretty hot launch.

Hmmm.. I'm inclined to agree. Oniks clearly has a variable burn rate motor as seen by its initial low-energy vertical launch, transition to horizontal, then full thrust boost. I suspect the Oniks motor provides a second or so of slow-burn, to get the round out of the tube, and the exhaust is clearly vented via the tube annulus (ie between the tube wall and the round). Likely Kalibre also uses this technique.

Thanks for links Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 pm