Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

US-Indian defense ties

Indian Flanker
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Re: US-Indian defense ties

Post  Indian Flanker on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:10 am

GarryB wrote:I think he meant it would be better endowed and therefore... well you can work it out...
    Well I think he meant that the current stage one prototype with 117 engine would **** F-35, so the FGFA- which shall have more powerful engine would do it much better..ahem....Very Happy

Indian Flanker
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Indian Flanker on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

Once the IAF MRCA contract is finalised(this year), after that the Indian Navy will also launch a tender for procuring around 50 MRCA's(that can take of from Aircraft-carriers), and according to most people back home -only Rafale and F-35 would be allowed to participate(STOBAR compatibility required).

Wonder what the Russian offer will be if they were asked to participate as Mig-35 is still not ready(of course even F-35 isn't either).
    , also am not sure about its STOBAR compatibility?

So, all in all looks like Dassault will sell more Rafales to India in due course(much to increase the ire of Garry Twisted Evil ).

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 am

So, all in all looks like Dassault will sell more Rafales to India in due course(much to increase the ire of Garry Twisted Evil ).

Doesn't bother me.. India can p!ss its money away on anything it likes...

I am a fairly easy going guy but can be very unreasonably stubborn, and I think if I asked France to buy more M2Ks and they refused, and then asked to licence produce them at home as was refused and given the offer of incredibly expensive Rafales which I refused and then wasted years on a competition whose ultimate goal was to allow me to buy the Rafales at a specific price (ie 126 aircraft for 10 Billion dollars) and I find myself inking a document that results in me paying twice that... not only would I not sign, I would seriously consider why I dealt with that supplier... if they couldn't supply the aircraft for the required price they should not have entered the competition.

Once the IAF MRCA contract is finalised(this year), after that the Indian Navy will also launch a tender for procuring around 50 MRCA's(that can take of from Aircraft-carriers), and according to most people back home -only Rafale and F-35 would be allowed to participate(STOBAR compatibility required).

Hehehehehehe... 50 planes... that will be at least 6 billion for the aircraft. The Gorshkov was criticised and the air compliment cost 700 million... this should be funny.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

type055
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  type055 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:59 am

Indian Flanker wrote:Once the IAF MRCA contract is finalised(this year), after that the Indian Navy will also launch a tender for procuring around 50 MRCA's(that can take of from Aircraft-carriers), and according to most people back home -only Rafale and F-35 would be allowed to participate(STOBAR compatibility required).

Wonder what the Russian offer will be if they were asked to participate as Mig-35 is still not ready(of course even F-35 isn't either).
    , also am not sure about its STOBAR compatibility?

So, all in all looks like Dassault will sell more Rafales to India in due course(much to increase the ire of Garry Twisted Evil ).

if I was India I will chose F35 for sure , F35B is best fit for India navy, but I am not sure how much India can absorb the technology from F35 . If China have a chance to buy F 35 ,China will defiantly resolve F35 and learn technology. no matter how expensive F35 is ~

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:51 pm

Russia is increasing military cooperation with India

Russia and India have systematically increased their cooperation in the military and military-technical cooperation spheres in 2014, within the ‘privileged strategic partnership’ the two countries share. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation detailed this cooperation in its Annual Report on Activities for 2014, posted on the Ministry’s official website.

“Against the background of anti-Russian sanctions pressure, being imposed by the West, Moscow continued to increase cooperation with countries in the Asia-Pacific Region (APR),” the report noted. “The main focus was placed on this cooperation leading to a positive impact on Russia’s regions, and in particular the Far East and Siberia.”

In relations with India, Russia continued the highly dynamic dialogue within the ‘privileged strategic partnership’ of the two countries.
    According to the report, on December 11, 2014, during the annual Russia-India Summit, in New Delhi, the new Indian leadership reaffirmed the country’s commitment to intensify bilateral relations.

“As part of the implementation of the flagship project in the energy sector – the construction of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in India – the first energy block was connected to the electricity grid of the country, and work on the second block is continuing. Military and military-technical cooperation also grew steadily; in Russia, joint exercises were held by all branches of the Indian armed forces, and the aircraft carrier Vikramaditya (earlier the Admiral Gorshkov) entered into service in the Indian Navy,” the Foreign Ministry report said.

Commenting on development of relations with China, the report stated that one of the priorities was to ensure continued peace and stability on the borders, creating a positive environment to stimulate further development of cross-border cooperation.

“Based on an agreement between heads of the two governments, the first joint verification is being carried out along the border between the two countries (between 2012 and 2016). The goal is to determine the changes that have occurred in the topography during the more than 10 years since demarcation was completed,” the document states.

“The mechanism of confidence-building measures in the military field, and monitoring the reduction of armed forces in areas bordering China is proceeding successfully.”On relations with Japan, the report stated that, despite broad involvement of Japan in the “sanctions war” of the West, the 6th meeting of the Russia-Japan Investment Forum was held, during which 11 memoranda and agreements were signed. Additionally, on December 5, 2014, the fourth meeting of the Russia-Japan Advisory Council took place in Vladivostok. This meeting focused on modernization of the Russian economy, and saw presentation of several dozen major projects aimed at modernization and expansion of exports of high-value- added products.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue May 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Green With Envy: US Military Lobby Wants to Outstrip Russia in India

Russo-Indian military collaboration has seemingly become a thorn in the United States' side as Washington has decided to bolster US-Indian defense ties.

It is expected that during his upcoming visit to India US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter will offer New Delhi a new US tactical aircraft and sign a 10-year bilateral India-US Defense Framework Agreement, Franz-Stefan Gady, an expert in military affairs and cyber diplomacy, emphasized.

"We are looking to do more in terms of [military] exercises and joint training and interoperability with our Indian counterparts," said US Ambassador to India Richard Rahul Verma as quoted by the expert.

The US' move can be regarded as backlash against the increased military cooperation within the BRICS. Indeed, Moscow and New Delhi have been steadily strengthening their ties in the military and military-technical field over the past years.

The Kremlin has repeatedly stated that it values its "privileged strategic partnership" with India and expressed confidence that the countries will boost economic and political relations.

According to the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC), in 2014, New Delhi was the largest buyer of Russian arms, receiving $4.7 billion worth weapons and military equipment from Russia.

Moreover, Russo-Indian joint military projects also include manufacturing of the fifth generation fighter aircrafts, T90 tanks, Smerch multiple launch rocket systems and the supersonic Brahmos missiles.

The BRICS cemented by Russia's military expertise and might is currently emerging as a self-sufficient global player, not just as an economic alliance.

Crispin Rovere, an Australian expert in Asia-Pacific affairs, even went so far as to suggest that "in the long-term, an anti-US coalition consisting of China, Russia and India cannot be discounted."

It seems that the increasing Russo-Indian military cooperation has become a thorn in Washington’s side. On the other hand, by bolstering its defense ties with India, the United States apparently hopes to kill two birds with one stone: to downplay Moscow's diplomatic success in Asia and intensify contradictions between New Delhi and Beijing.

However, according to Crispin Rovere, such a strategy is doomed: although there are certain frictions between China and India, their competition is "certainly nothing like the strategic competition that exists between China and the US."

On the other hand, Russia remains India's "sole strategic partner," while all three countries – Russia, India and China – "have a strong preference for a multipolar world order and the dilution of American hegemony," the expert pointed out.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20150505/1021745687.html#ixzz3ZIB24tP0

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue May 05, 2015 7:30 pm

No matter what ties that develop between India and the US... that factor called Congress has huge potential to be a Thorn in the US's side...

Depending upon who controls Congress at the time and what the then president wants to achieve it is possible Congress controlled by one party might act against a president of the other party just to embarrass them... the potential for sanctions on India are reasonably high...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Wed May 06, 2015 3:52 am

US-India defense ties are more of hot balloon ( PR Stunt basically ) . Under DTTI they will share basic surveillance drones co-production , the DTTI, which Carter initiated as deputy defence secretary in 2012, the US was expected to offerthe Textron AirLand Scorpion light-attack and intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft currently being developed to the Indian Air Force (IAF).

To co-develop and jointly manufacture AeroVironment RQ-11 Raven battlefield unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and roll-on/roll-off ISR modules for the IAF's 11 Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 transport aircraft.

Two additional technologies - to develop and build mobile electric hybrid power systems (MEHPS) and integrated Protection Ensemble Increment-2 clothing for protection against nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare - are also being transferred.
    The two technical working groups set up earlier in 2015 to jointly develop aircraft engines and electromagnetic aircraft launch systems (EMALS) for aircraft carriers will also be reviewed during the defence secretary's visit.
    Meanwhile, Carter is expected to push India to sign a USD2.5 billion contract for 22 Boeing AH-64E Apache and 15 Boeing CH-47F Chinook helicopters for the IAF, negotiations for which were completed in late 2013.

But US has overtaken Russia as the largest arms supplier to India in the last three years. But in terms of overall numbers, Russia still remains the biggest weapons exporter to India, having notched military sales worth over $40 billion since the first MiG-21 jets and T-55 tanks in the 1960s to the present-day Sukhoi-30MKI fighters and T-90S main-battle tanks. The US has bagged Indian defence deals worth almost $10 billion since 2007-2008. The deals include ones for 12 C-130J 'Super Hercules' aircraft ($2 billion), eight P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft ($2.1 billion) and 10 C-17 Globemaster-III giant strategic airlift aircraft ($4.1 billion) .

India has consciously tried to diversify its arms imports since the 1999 Kargil conflict due to Russia's propensity to not adhere to delivery schedules, jack up costs midway through execution of contracts, create hurdles in transfer of technology and unreliable spares supply. The long-delayed delivery of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov) as well as the huge jump in its refit cost to $2.33 billion was just the most prominent example of it

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed May 06, 2015 4:44 am

The long-delayed delivery of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov) as well as the huge jump in its refit cost to $2.33 billion was just the most prominent example of it

Yeah... that was Russias fault... Russia offers to upgrade an old carrier for India for a gap filler and India then takes 10 odd years to decide and negotiate the agreement. The original price was 1.8 billion including 700 million for the aircraft... Ka-31 and MiG-29K. After opening up the carrier it was found further work was needed than expected to make her sea worthy... basically all the piping and wiring needed to be redone, for the additional cost of what would be 630 million.

Then there was much whining and complaining for an increase in cost of just over half a billion... half a billion is what they paid for EACH C-17 transport aircraft from the US!

The MMRCA competition for 10 billion dollars for 126 aircraft won by France was going to be 10 billion dollars over budget... that is 20 times the increase of the Gorshkov... where are the complaints about that?

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 am

GarryB wrote:
    The long-delayed delivery of aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov) as well as the huge jump in its refit cost to $2.33 billion was just the most prominent example of it

Yeah... that was Russias fault... Russia offers to upgrade an old carrier for India for a gap filler and India then takes 10 odd years to decide and negotiate the agreement. The original price was 1.8 billion including 700 million for the aircraft... Ka-31 and MiG-29K. After opening up the carrier it was found further work was needed than expected to make her sea worthy... basically all the piping and wiring needed to be redone, for the additional cost of what would be 630 million.

Then there was much whining and complaining for an increase in cost of just over half a billion... half a billion is what they paid for EACH C-17 transport aircraft from the US!

The MMRCA competition for 10 billion dollars for 126 aircraft won by France was going to be 10 billion dollars over budget... that is 20 times the increase of the Gorshkov... where are the complaints about that?

India has a huge corruption and US asslickers in in its government so much is beyond doubt.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Wed May 06, 2015 10:41 am

I quoted newspaper article . These arent my words . Rest apache and chinooks outperforming Mi helicoptors is doubtful as usa used russian helicoptors . India wants to diversify its military equipment and i read that india is getting frustrated with russia's pak-fa delays also . Rest corruption is for sure exists . I'm from India i can guarantee you on that .

AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Wed May 06, 2015 5:16 pm

max steel wrote:I quoted  newspaper article . These arent my words . Rest apache and chinooks outperforming Mi helicoptors is doubtful as usa used russian helicoptors . India wants to diversify its military equipment  and i read that india is getting frustrated with russia's pak-fa delays also . Rest corruption is for sure exists . I'm from India i can guarantee you on that .

Ok, I've been meaning to ask this, but what delays are they b#tching about, last i heard it was still on schedule or did i miss something??

jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Thu May 07, 2015 4:35 am

Werewolf wrote:India has a huge corruption and US asslickers in in its government so much is beyond doubt.

Unfortunately for Russia ,a majority of the countries that purchases Russian military hardware are corrupt, uncouth third world countries like India. Hopefully the Kremlin realizes that this is a PR disaster as well. Just look at the number of Mig, Sukhoi crashes in India or the number of times a Kilo sub is destroyed by untrained staff.

The Belarus AF flies the same Su-30 that the Indians fly and yet not a single Su-30 has crashed due to pilot error.

Rosoboronexport  has to do a better job in finding markets in Europe, Middle East and South America.  There is a great demand for hi-tech weapons in these countries and so Rosoboronexport  will not find it very difficult to penetrate these markets.

These countries are far more developed and far less corrupt than countries in Africa and Asia.

AlfaT8 wrote:Ok, I've been meaning to ask this, but what delays are they b#tching about, last i heard it was still on schedule or did i miss something??

This is one major problem with poor countries like India. They cannot make payments on time. Payments have to be made either in US$ or in Euros. Countries like India do not have decent foreign reserves. So naturally Rosoboronexport cannot deliver on time either.

Like I said, if Rosoboronexport has any intention to improve its bottomline it should penetrate markets in Middle East, South America and Europe and rely less on Asian markets like India.

type055
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  type055 on Thu May 07, 2015 6:21 am

jhelb wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:India has a huge corruption and US asslickers in in its government so much is beyond doubt.

Unfortunately for Russia ,a majority of the countries that purchases Russian military hardware are corrupt, uncouth third world countries like India. Hopefully the Kremlin realizes that this is a PR disaster as well. Just look at the number of Mig, Sukhoi crashes in India or the number of times a Kilo sub is destroyed by untrained staff.

The Belarus AF flies the same Su-30 that the Indians fly and yet not a single Su-30 has crashed due to pilot error.

Rosoboronexport  has to do a better job in finding markets in Europe, Middle East and South America.  There is a great demand for hi-tech weapons in these countries and so Rosoboronexport  will not find it very difficult to penetrate these markets.

These countries are far more developed and far less corrupt than countries in Africa and Asia.

AlfaT8 wrote:Ok, I've been meaning to ask this, but what delays are they b#tching about, last i heard it was still on schedule or did i miss something??

This is one major problem with poor countries like India. They cannot make payments on time. Payments have to be made either in US$ or in Euros. Countries like India do not have decent foreign reserves. So naturally Rosoboronexport cannot deliver on time either.

Like I said, if Rosoboronexport has any intention to improve its bottomline it should penetrate markets in Middle East, South America and Europe and rely less on Asian markets like India.

No, India has enough money to pay the bill, they are No.1 importer in weapon market. U.S. France ,Russia and Iseral all want this big market.
    about Ru-Ind CV deal , we can not blame Inida. It's not like Rafale deal , rafale deal is an agreement, India did't pay in first place.
    Ru-Ind deal , India is already on board, Russia say they want to increase price.....it's like..... and this deal delayed for years.

India problem is their poor management ,airfraft destroyed , submarine sunk , not only Russia weapon, but also Western ones(c-17, Sea Harrier)
    From recent deals , I see India don't want to rely on importer weapons for ever, they want to learn tech from every deal. It's good,
    India has ambitions and potential to make decent weapons but it need a long way to go .

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri May 08, 2015 5:29 am

Rosoboronexport has to do a better job in finding markets in Europe, Middle East and South America. There is a great demand for hi-tech weapons in these countries and so Rosoboronexport will not find it very difficult to penetrate these markets.

I agree with Type055, you can't judge a whole country on a few minor issues.... they pay for the products they buy and they buy a lot of products.

More importantly you talk about finding markets in Europe and the Middle East, but the countries Russia currently doesn't sell to in these regions are unlikely to change positions any time soon.

I doubt the UK will ever be interested in buying a new Russian fighter... whether it is a MiG-35 or Su-35 or even PAK FA... and I really don't think Russia wants to sell them to the UK either.

Lots of countries in Europe have rejected Russia even for trading in food and other essentials there is no point wasting sales and marketing dollars on such lost causes... there are plenty of countries with the money wanting to buy from a country that wont slap sanctions on them at the drop of a hat.... that offers good weapons at a reasonable price.

Corruption is everywhere... it is not Russias job to fight that or reward or punish countries for their problems... countries need to deal with that themselves... Russia has its own problems in that direction like any other country.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sat May 09, 2015 6:07 pm

jhelb wrote:

LOL Calm your tits jhelb . You're uninformed on Indian Military . India has decent foreign reserves . I can't see any nation more developed than India in gdp wise neither in middle east or south america ( brazil is slight ahead . )

regarding crashes . well India NEVER CRASHED SUKHOI .It's Mig-27.

India statement : Mig-27 which is a single engine Strike optimised aircraft is powered by Soviet era Klimov R29B-300 engines, which according to IAF have Technical design flaws in its engines which leads to mid air engine failure . according to IAF it is common mechanical problem and a reoccurring problem found in all engines powering Mig-27.
    Mig-27 has been grounded by IAF many times in the past and once for four months at a stretch . in 2006 IAF had planned to replace Klimov R29B-300 engines with NPO Saturn-built AL-31FP turbofan which already powers the IAF’s Su-30MKIs. AL-31FP was lighter by 200kg and offered increased thrust, but re-engineering program was scrapped since IAF owns Internal technical assessment had found Mig-27 suffered from very poor built quality and had little air frame life left and financially it was not seen viable to replace them.
    IAF plans to start phasing out Mig-27 from this year and will only operate half of its current fleet (100) by year end will be retiring other upgraded Mig-27 by 2020. IAF also operated Air-superiority variant of Mig-23 which too were retired because of reliability and safety problems. Russian airforce too has retired Mig-23/27 since they were expensive to maintain and too dangerous to fly.
    IAF needs to speed up retiring process of Mig-27, in particular, which is proving to be a safety hazards not only to Pilots who fly them but also to Individuals who reside in its flight path.

Regarding Su-30 india is concerned because they do not have protection of hardened shelters in air bases which would save them from direct hits of bombs in the event of a war. hardened shelters are not available for even the limited numbers of aircraft that is available with the Service” . The IAF informed the committee in oral evidence that the aircraft are deprived of hardened shelters because the Sukhoi-30 MKI cannot be fit into the existing ones because of their large size. “It is a much bigger aircraft. Therefore some New Generation Hardened Aircraft Shelter (NGHAS) has to be made in which not only a SU-30 can fit but also servicing, loading of weapons and maintenance activities can be done inside the shelter,”

Alfa : http://www.ibcnews.in/2015/05/04/attrition-india-runs-out-of-patience-with-russia/ ( it's a western presstitute outlet so take it with grain of salt .)

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:27 am

India, United States Sign 10-Year Defense Cooperation Agreement

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20150603/1022909517.html#ixzz3c4HktHwm

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:15 am

Boeing, Tata JV to perform AH-64 work

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:49 am

"The US-based aircraft manufacturer Boeing has offered to manufacture its F/A-18 fighter jets — the mainstay of the US navy — in India through the government's Make in India programme, taking another stab at winning a potential multi-billion contract from one of the world's biggest military spenders. "We are taking a hard look at the opportunity for the F/A-18 fighter jet as an area where we can build industrial capacity, supply chain partnerships, technical depth, design and manufacturing capability in India, providing an operational capability that is useful for Indian defence forces," Boeing Chief Executive Officer Dennis A Muilenburg said in New Delhi on Tuesday.

"Make in India is an enabler aligned with that strategy," said Muilenburg. The F/A-18 lost out in the government's medium multi-role fighter aircraft (MMRCA) procurement programme — designed to replace ageing Indian Air Force jets — to French company Dassault Aviation's Rafale fighter jets. But the Rafale deal for 36 planes, estimated to be worth $9 billion, has been stuck over negotiations over price.

Boeing's latest offer to help the government create an industrial ecosystem to build its fighter planes signals it sees an opportunity in the delays over the Rafale deal. Military officials and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar have said the government is open to buying an alternative fighter jet. "Our intent here is to build an industrial framework for the long run that builds on the aerospace investments being made not only by programme by programme, but also by long-term industrial capacity that is globally competitive," said Muilenburg, who is visiting India for the first time since becoming CEO of the $91-billion aerospace giant last July. The government has long been looking to end its reliance on foreign arms makers and create a homegrown military manufacturing sector. The Make in India manufacturing programme is expected to be a springboard to these efforts."

Source: http://www.airrecognition.com/index.php/archive-world-worldwide-news-air-force-aviation-aerospace-air-military-defence-industry/global-defense-security-news/global-news-2016/february/2364-boeing-offers-to-produce-f-a-18-fighter-jets-under-make-in-india-program.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:29 am

Washington Sends Guided Missile Warships to Boost Ties to India - US Navy

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160205/1034255379/us-navy-warships-india-ties.html#ixzz3zGT0ieYU

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm

George1 wrote:Washington Sends Guided Missile Warships to Boost Ties to India - US Navy

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20160205/1034255379/us-navy-warships-india-ties.html#ixzz3zGT0ieYU

US trying hard to lure/influence Indians against China by sending phony tie boosting signals. Some countries just want to stay away from US, and, most of all, not to depend on them for anything. An example is India. U.S. government and private arms salesmen have worked for years to make India a big client for American weapons. India has chosen instead to smile at Americans but to continue to buy its arms from Russia.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:02 pm

India Considers US Lockheed Martin Offer to Manufacture F-16 Fighter Jets

Besides the F-16s, the US side has also offered other options for warplanes, whose production may be launched in India. The proposal includes aircraft production both for the domestic market and exports, The Economic Times noted.

On Saturday, Indian Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyam Jaishankar summoned US Ambassador Richard Verma to express dissatisfaction after Washington announced the US Department of State had approved the sale of eight F-16 combat aircraft and other equipment to Pakistan.

Lockheed Martin offers India to produce more advanced version of the jets than those that will be delivered to Pakistan, the newspaper said.

Lockheed Martin is not the only company that came up with a business proposal on military equipment. Swedish SAAB offered to set up the production of the Gripen multirole fighter aircraft, whereas the French-based Airbus company suggested launching the Eurofighter jets’ manufacture in India.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:50 pm

India, US Discuss Cooperation in Carrier Technology

India and the US discussed the possibility of cooperation in carrier technology this week, but sources in India's Ministry of Defence (MoD) said no agreement was reached.

The discussion took place from Feb. 15-18 in a second meeting of the Joint Working Group on Aircraft Carrier Technology Co-operation (JWGACTC), part of the Indo-US Defense Trade and Technology Initiative.

"Various aspects of cooperation in the field of aircraft carrier technology were discussed and a joint statement signed," the MoD said in a statement Feb.19.

India is exploring the possibility of US cooperation in building a second indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-2), INS Vishal, which is still on the drawing board.

The Indian Navy has kept the option open for use of an Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS), regarded as an advanced system, which the US offered to India for IAC-2 during US President Barack Obama's visit to India in January 2015.

EMALS is expected to be more versatile, allowing a variety of aircraft to be launched with the same system, which could include medium- and light-weight aircraft and India's homegrown Light Combat Aircraft.

Planned to carry more than 50 fighter jets and helicopters, IAC-2 will be built in India. The Indian Navy is deciding whether IAC-2 will have a conventional or nuclear propulsion system. The ship is expected to cost more than $6 billion.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:37 am

Parrikar rules out joint patrolling with the US in Asia Pacific

India on Friday ruled out the possibility of undertaking joint naval patrolling or hopping on board a quadrilateral security dialogue in the Asia Pacific region, which has been proposed by the US as a counter to China's aggressive behaviour in the South China Sea and elsewhere.

"Till now, India has never participated in joint patrolling. We do participate in joint exercises. So, the question of joint patrolling at this stage does not arise," said defence minister Manohar Parrikar.

India, for instance, will be undertaking the Malabar naval exercise with the US and Japan, off the Japanese coast in the Pacific, in June-July.

This comes three days after the visiting US Pacific command chief admiral Harry Harris pitched for a quadrilateral security dialogue among India, Japan, Australia and the US, even as he hoped that joint patrolling would materialise in the Asia-Pacific region in "the not too distant future", as was reported by TOI.

India has for long positioned itself as "a neutral player" in the ongoing geopolitical jostling between the US and China, especially in the South China Sea where the latter is locked in bitter territorial disputes with its neighbours.

"I am not responding to what the US admiral has said. Our viewpoint will come to you if we at all consider any such thing from our side,"
    said Parrikar.

Asked whether India was going to ink the nearly-finalised Logistics Support Agreement (LSA) when US defence secretary Ash Carter comes visiting India next month, Parrikar said the government would take all decisions in the interest of the country.

"It has to benefit the nation on various counts. We definitely would say that our government is very active on almost everything. We don't like to unnecessarily delay things. So, we definitely do paper work, discussions are going on many things," he said.

The US has been pushing the bilateral "foundational agreements" like the LSA, the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum Agreement (CISMOA) and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-Spatial Cooperation (BECA) for over a decade now.

Though the previous UPA regime had stonewalled them, the NDA government feels the LSA is "relatively easier to ink", while more clarifications and discussions are needed on the CISMOA and BECA, as was reported by TOI.

Modelled on the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreements the US has inked with scores of countries, the LSA envisages the two militaries providing logistic support, refuelling and berthing facilities for each other's warships and aircraft on a barter or an equal-value exchange basis.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:52 am

max steel wrote:Parrikar rules out joint patrolling with the US in Asia Pacific

Do US neocons actually think India would spill their blood, as a meatshield, to defend Anglo Saxon interests lmao.... lol1 lol1 lol1

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:29 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:29 pm