Russian Navy: Status & News #1

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #1

Post  TR1 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Viktor wrote:Interesting. This is even sooner than I expected thumbsup 

The perspective for the Russian Navy destroyer can lay up to end of 2013
    To be exact they said "during 2013-2015" they are planning to start work on creating a new destroyer class.
    Ria ofc made the most sensationalist headline. Honestly I don't think a ship will even be laid down by 2015.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:06 am

1 out of 6 is in the water. project 636.3 thumbsup russia 

"Admiralty Shipyards" submarine launched the "Novorossiysk" for BSF

From the launching 

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Admiral Nakimov modernization will be done by 2018-2019

"Admiral Nakhimov" will return to the Russian Navy in 2018-2019 gg.

Modernization nuclear missile cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov" will introduce a modern Navy missile ship already in the years 2018-2019,
     at a price slightly higher than the planned cost of the new destroyer.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Yay!

http://bastion-karpenko.ru/6363-novorosiisk-20131128/

Full photo report on the launch.

Btw, am I the only one who thinks Karpenko's site layout is hilarious? He posts huge high res photo-reports about all sorts of interesting stuff, and the website he places them on looks like it was made in 1999.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:52 pm

TR1 wrote:Btw, am I the only one who thinks Karpenko's site layout is hilarious? He posts huge high res photo-reports about all sorts of interesting stuff, and the website he places them on looks like it was made in 1999.
    LOL, I was thinking the same. I think that people that draw sketches on the caves few thousand years B.C. where better organized than Karpenko that btw has the best info about everything. Someone should tell him to organize things at least like on a Dimi blog.Very Happy

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Viktor wrote:Admiral Nakimov modernization will be done by 2018-2019

Modernization nuclear missile cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov" will introduce a modern Navy missile ship already in the years 2018-2019,
    what about admiral lazarev?

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:25 pm

George1 wrote:
    Viktor wrote:Admiral Nakimov modernization will be done by 2018-2019

what about admiral lazarev?
    There was a report a few years back that Admiral Lazarev and Admiral Ushakov will be modernized too by 2020 but I dont know why are they not mentioned anymore.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Maybe it became clear to even the shitty journalists/"sources" that even if the other ships are actually brought back (big if!) there is no way it will happen until after 2020.

Although I am sure I will read somewhere about plan to modernize whole class before long.

Cost less than that of a destroyer? They havn't even figured out the scope of the project, there is no way final costs can be accurately guestimated yet.

The only thing I am trusting are Sevmash's own words here.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

russian navy news

Post  GarryB on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:56 pm

I suspect it will largely depend on how this upgrade goes... if it goes well and everything does as it says on the label then they might do as many upgrades as they can.

Most of the wiring will need replacing anyway... the real question is what are they going to do with the propulsion system.

I am hoping they will go all nuke with new more powerful nuclear reactors presumably developed for new large ships like carriers.

This will simplify the design and make it a more capable vessel, and likely leave more free space for other things.

I rather suspect a lot of the large sensors (ie radar arrays) and battle management systems as well as propulsion will be very similar to the new systems that would be being worked on for the new carriers and the upgrade of the Kuz.

In such a situation this will be an important test to give an indication of how smooth other upgrades might work out and also give some operational data for the new carrier designs.

Right now an updated cruiser with modern reliable propulsion is more valuable than a carrier upgraded, so it makes sense to upgrade at least one cruiser first so things can be tested and tried... they still have a carrier and an operational cruiser if they need one.

Once this upgrade is completed and tested then there will be more of an idea of cost and performance to make some serious decisions about further upgrades of Kirov/s and Slavas and the Kuz.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:40 am

Meeting on developing the Navy

Vladimir Putin held a meeting on developing nuclear submarine forces. Taking part in the meeting were Navy Commander Viktor Chirkov and heads of a number of defence enterprises.

PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA VLADIMIR PUTIN: Colleagues,

We will continue our meeting [on strategic missile forces] in reference to the Navy. I don’t need to talk about how important the naval component is within our three-pronged strategic nuclear deterrence forces. In Russia the Armed Forces, including strategic nuclear deterrence forces, must be balanced; for this reason we intend to and shall pay appropriate attention to the Navy in general, and its strategic component in particular.

As you know, in January 2013 the new nuclear-powered missile cruiser Yury Dolgoruky was commissioned into the Navy. Next year, in the near future, two more boats – Alexander Nevsky and Vladimir Monomakh – will be commissioned in, and by 2020 eight nuclear-powered submarines will be deployed.

What would I like to draw attention to? To deadlines, prices, and harmonising work to build and modernise the fleet, with that related to weapons. Weapons must become available simultaneously with the release of the carriers themselves, the submarines. And of course, coastal infrastructure too; but we talked about this with the Navy Commander and the Defence Minister, and today we’ll discuss it in even more detail.

I would like Mr Vilnit to say a few words, and then Mr Dorofeyev.

Please go ahead.

CEO OF RUBIN CENTRAL DESIGN BUREAU FOR MARINE ENGINEERING IGOR VILNIT: Mr President,

The Borei class strategic submarine cruiser has been built. The lead ship under this project has been commissioned into the Navy.

The first serial Borei class ship has completed the necessary tests, including state ones, and today is being prepared for deployment in the Navy.

The second ship under this project is currently undergoing sea trials; once those are finished it will undergo state tests later on this year.

At present, work is underway to create the new modernised Borei-A project, which provides for a whole range of improvements for Borei design ships.

Work to create such a ship is underway. All enterprises involved know their tasks and are ready to supply the appropriate weapons. Ongoing work to build these ships is proceeding according to plan.

Today non-nuclear ships are also being built for our Navy. All the work to build 636 and 677 Lada class submarines is being carried out according to plan.

Simultaneously, work is underway to establish a special air-independent propulsion power plant for these vessels, in order to significantly improve their capacities for future fifth-generation ships.

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Thank you.

CEO OF MALACHITE CENTRAL DESIGN BUREAU FOR MARINE ENGINEERING VLADIMIR DOROFEYEV: Mr President,

This year state tests of the Severodvinsk multipurpose nuclear submarine, the lead ship of the Project 885 [Yasen class] submarines, have been completed. Ongoing state tests are now finished.

During these tests we successfully simulated missile launches, both cruise missiles designed to destroy surface ships, and those designed to destroy long-range coastal targets.

Once this ship is deployed, our Navy, Defence Ministry, and the state will be able to use it to carry out a new function, namely non-strategic nuclear deterrence through the use of high-precision long-range cruise missiles.

Dozens of industrial enterprises and scientific organisations participated in building this ship, which was done at the Sevmash shipyard. That was my report.

VLADIMIR PUTIN: In October some submarines left the shipyard docks. In general, everything went very well. How would you evaluate this work?

RUSSIAN NAVY COMMANDER ADMIRAL VIKTOR CHIRKOV: Comrade Commander-in-Chief,

Under your leadership, we carried out strategic military exercises to manage our strategic nuclear forces. During these we conducted missile firing exercises in the Sea of ​​Okhotsk and the Barents Sea. Shooting exercises were completed normally, and all deviations were also within normal limits. Personnel accomplished the tasks they were set. The goals of these exercises were achieved.

VLADIMIR PUTIN: Good, thank you.

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:27 pm

The tanker/support fleet of Russian navy definitely require new ships and probably that is one area where not much is said about. So is there any new fleet tanker project going on??

Russia had offered their tanker design during Indian Navy's tender for fleet tanker few years back in which the Italians won the contract. Any info on the project number and picture of that replenishment ship offered by Russia would be very helpful.

TR1,
    thanks for the 636.3 launch photos. But no side profile photos. Any photo that show side profile slightly angled from top?

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Dima wrote:TR1,
    thanks for the 636.3 launch photos. But no side profile photos. Any photo that show side profile slightly angled from top?
    I hope this will do the trick Smile 

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:44 pm

So no changes from current 636 w.r.t to flood ports. Wanted to see the side profile to see if they have made any changes to the propulsion area. A clear side profile would have been better. Thanks for the pic anyway.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Still it counts 

Russian Black Sea Fleet will receive four diving boat project 23040

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Dima wrote:The tanker/support fleet of Russian navy definitely require new ships and probably that is one area where not much is said about. So is there any new fleet tanker project going on??

Russia had offered their tanker design during Indian Navy's tender for fleet tanker few years back in which the Italians won the contract. Any info on the project number and picture of that replenishment ship offered by Russia would be very helpful.

TR1,
    There was I think in 2012 article claiming that by 2020 Russian Navy will get 100 tug bouats, salvage and supply ships but there was no mention of how many of which type.

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 am

Project 18280 AGI "Yuri Ivanov" , "Admiral Gorshkov" and "Stoiky" (?)

"Ivanov"

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Project 21820 "Dugong" , Ivan Kartzov launched 30,09.2013 in Vladivostok

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/44626/

zg18
    Major
    Major

Post  zg18 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Buyan-M class ships , Grad Sviyazhsk and Uglich test fired Calibr-NK missiles in Caspian

http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/44631/

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:12 pm

http://flotprom.ru/news/?ELEMENT_ID=157863

Rostov-On-Don will be launched in May 2014.

http://astra-novosti.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/%D0%93%D1%80%D1%83%D0%BF%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B9-%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B9%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D1%84%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%B8-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%88%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%B0-%D1%83%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F-%D0%B2-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B5.jpg

Volgodonsk.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:07 am

Longish interview with General Director of the Center repair "asterisk" Vladimir Nikitin.

http://ria.ru/interview/20131213/983753332.html

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:13 am

Dat translation.....Zvezdochka....little star Wink

Interview is a nice overview btw, thanks.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Ustinov back in 2015.

Russia to Finish Slava-Class Missile Cruiser Refit in 2015

Akula-Class Nuclear Subs’ Overhaul Could Take Decade – Shipyard

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:09 pm

http://www.shipspotting.com/photos/big/7/2/2/1827227.jpg

Interesting photo, because it is Novorosiiisk.

Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Dima on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 am

Viktor wrote:
    Dima wrote:The tanker/support fleet of Russian navy definitely require new ships and probably that is one area where not much is said about. So is there any new fleet tanker project going on??

There was I think in 2012 article claiming that by 2020 Russian Navy will get 100 tug bouats, salvage and supply ships but there was no mention of how many of which type.
    Can you check if there is any specific details regarding the supply/replenishment tankers? Atleast any info on the tanker that was proposed by RosobornExport in the Indian Navy's tender would be a good lead. I can see almost all class of ships from harbor tugboats to aircraft carriers that are either being planned or already under construction but no details regarding the supply ships.

These are vital assets that are needed for sustaining a blue water fleet. But I dont see due priority being given. Even during the 2013 IMDS, I couldn't see any Russian models though there were German tankers on display. If anyone come across with any info on these ships, plz do post it.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Dima wrote:Can you check if there is any specific details regarding the supply/replenishment tankers? Atleast any info on the tanker that was proposed by RosobornExport in the Indian Navy's tender would be a good lead. I can see almost all class of ships from harbor tugboats to aircraft carriers that are either being planned or already under construction but no details regarding the supply ships.

Supply ships for Russian navy is in arms procurement program (this specifically referes to Artic but I guess it can be applied generally)

Russian Navy Declares Development Prospects

"First of all, such ships will be in need for protection of gas producing platforms in the Stockman deposit area, he explained. "The state arms program does provide procurement of such kind of ships, including supply vessels", said the Russian Navy's spokesman. "

From the TR1 post LINK

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:10 pm

Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 pm