Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Soviet space based weapons

    Share

    Mindstorm

    Posts : 771
    Points : 948
    Join date : 2011-07-20

    Soviet space based weapons

    Post  Mindstorm on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:44 pm

    http://www.arms-expo.ru/articles/124/77265/

    A brief ,mostly historical, article on the first ASAT systems (with the first working sample and successfull space intercept  by part of Полет-1 by ЦНИИ Комета in the 1968.)
    avatar
    jhelb

    Posts : 433
    Points : 500
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Re: Soviet space based weapons

    Post  jhelb on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:26 pm

    Mindstorm wrote:
    http://www.arms-expo.ru/articles/124/77265/

    A brief ,mostly historical, article on the first ASAT systems (with the first working sample and successfull space intercept  by part of Полет-1 by ЦНИИ Комета in the 1968.)

    I think it makes far more sense for Russia to have some spaceship or unmanned combat aerial vehicle in space that is armed with anti sat missiles. In that way Russia can target both enemy ICBMs and enemy satellites.

    I suspect the US is trying to do something similar with the X-37 spacecraft.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5420
    Points : 5524
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Soviet space based weapons

    Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:18 pm

    jhelb wrote:
    Mindstorm wrote:
    http://www.arms-expo.ru/articles/124/77265/

    A brief ,mostly historical, article on the first ASAT systems (with the first working sample and successfull space intercept  by part of Полет-1 by ЦНИИ Комета in the 1968.)

    I think it makes far more sense for Russia to have some spaceship or unmanned combat aerial vehicle in space that is armed with anti sat missiles. In that way Russia can target both enemy ICBMs and enemy satellites.

    I suspect the US is trying to do something similar with the X-37 spacecraft.

    Stuff like that is still banned according to Outer Space Treaty.
    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Soviet space based weapons

    Post  max steel on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:38 am

    X-37 is used to launch satellites just like Buran did and nope they are not meant for delivering nukes Russia made a buran just to test whether nukes can be delivered via space and they got their answers.

    US is not interested in keeping space weapons free as earlier both Russia and China suggested bit US refused the proposal.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16514
    Points : 17122
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Soviet space based weapons

    Post  GarryB on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:19 am

    Of course the X-37 will deliver nukes...

    The Buran and the Space Shuttle could both deliver nuclear weapons... it would just be more efficient to put those nukes on an ICBM most of the time.

    The US wants space weaponised... but with US controlled weapons only...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    jhelb

    Posts : 433
    Points : 500
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    A brief ,mostly historical, article on the first ASAT systems

    Post  jhelb on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:21 am

    PapaDragon wrote:Stuff like that is still banned according to Outer Space Treaty.

    But the US designed the X 37 despite being a signatory to OST. Similarly THAAD-ER is actually banned under the treaty. So if the US can carry out such work despite bans so should Russia.
    avatar
    max steel

    Posts : 2967
    Points : 2998
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Funny Russia flew its Unmanned OTV in 1980's whereas US flew its X-37 OTV in 2010.

    Post  max steel on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:06 pm

    Funny Russia flew its Unmanned OTV in 1980's whereas US flew its X-37 OTV in 2010.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Soviet space based weapons

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am