Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Μilitary Questions & Answers

GarryB

Re: Μilitary Questions & Answers

Post  GarryB on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 am

We have discussed this before but very simply all three can be thought of as long tubes that start out wide... get narrow in the middle and then get wider at the rear.

The Turbojet has a shaft down the centre with fan blades mounted on them all the way along the tube. The ones at the front are large and suck air into the engine. The ones in the middle are smaller but still fill the tube and are geared to the shaft at the front of the engine... so as fuel is added to the middle narrow section and burned it is forced back out the rear of the engine developing thrust.

The narrow bit in the middle of the tube is the high pressure section or hot section and as more fuel is added the air moves faster through the tube... making the blades at the front turn faster accelerating the engine.

There are lots of different engine types... a Turbojet is just that single tube of air flow, a low bypass turbofan has the front fan enlarged and another tube around the outside where air flows through. In a turbojet the air is hot and is flowing fast but by heating it is is lower in density than normal air. A low bypass turbofan directs some cold air around the outside and then blows it out the rear... the cold air being denser and offering more push and because it is still oxygen rich burning fuel in the exhaust in an after burner is more powerful and efficient.

A high bypass turbofan has a small turbojet driving a much larger fan and most of the thrust is from that larger fan blowing subsonic air... commonly used on subsonic transports and civilian airliners.

A ramjet has no blades and no shaft... air comes in the front and is compressed as the tube narrows... fuel is added and burned which heats the air and generates thrust... simple and cheap and very light.

The problem is that most jet engines burn fuel at subsonic speed and choke on supersonic airflows so a mach 2 fighter has ramps on its air intakes that open during takeoff when air is moving slowly so that more air can enter the intake. At high speed the ramp closes and reduces the amount of air entering the intake which reduces its speed to subsonic.

On a scramjet... or supersonic combustion ramjet, you have a tube of a design that allows fuel to burn at supersonic speeds so not complex air intake is needed and the only limit on speed is the heat capacity of the aircraft and the engines... a ramjet just needs forward movement... during WWII Polikarpov tested ramjet engines on an Il-15 biplane that could fly at about 200km/h. The ramjet engines added about 40-50km/h to the top speed but it shows forward speed does not need to be high to start a ramjet engine.

Top speed for a scramjet is orbital speed or higher.

Because of its design you could fit an aircraft with scramjets and close the intakes on takeoff and pump fuel and oxygen into the chambers to accelerate down the runway on rocket propulsion... once moving forward however the O2 could be cut off and the intakes opened to use air for the O2 and liftoff could be achieved using scramjet propulsion right up to space where the intakes could be closed again and rocket mode could be used.

Similarly a Turboscramrocket design could be used where on takeoff it could get airborne via a turbojet engine... once airborne the airflow through the jet engine could be cut off and airflow through the scramjet could accelerate the aircraft to altitude and orbital speed... once in orbit the intake could be closed off and rocket mode could be used to manouver in space till rentry and landing normally using turbojet and or scramjet.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Deep Throat

Just need to find out how Ramjet, Turbojet and Scramjet are different from one another and what advantages do each of these provide .

Post  Deep Throat on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 am

You the Man Garry . My Vote . respekt 
    IvanGrozny

How to plan warehouse guarding with dogs?

Post  IvanGrozny on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello!

I'm an officer in training in Slovenia, and as a part of my training I have to write a paper on a subject. I chose sentry/guard duty for warehouses with military working dogs (MWD), because Slovenian Army is planning to guard some of the warehouses with MWDs and I'm searching for other armed forces' plans how they do it.

So, does the Russian army guard their warehouses or buildings with dogs and how do they do it (SOPs, plans, pictures, schematics, anything Smile )

Or if anyone has info about other armed forces and their plans for this, I would appreciate it a lot!

Thank you very much,
    Ivan
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Actually, the specifics of sentry duty on/around millitary objects are detailed in the Russian military regulations, specifically "The Regulations on Garrison and Guard duty, of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation", which is one of the 3-4 main codexes of Russian military regulations if memory serves me right:
    http://ru.wikisource.org/wiki/%D0%A3%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2_%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%B8_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D1%81%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%B6%D0%B1%D1%8B_%D0%92%D0%A1_%D0%A0%D0%A4

There's a section on guarding objects with dogs: http://ru.wikisource.org/wiki/%D0%A3%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B2_%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D0%B8_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B9_%D1%81%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%B6%D0%B1%D1%8B_%D0%92%D0%A1_%D0%A0%D0%A4/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5_11

As for warehouses, and warehouses with dogs I can't help you Smile
    Stealthflanker

Iraqi Kh-22 Fate question.

Post  Stealthflanker on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:19 am

Well just from ACIG.

http://www.acig.info/CMS/?option=com_content&task=view&id=247&Itemid=47

The article stated that the Iraqi was also operate Kh-22 variant the Kh-22P and well those missiles does not worked as intended.

a weird thing i noticed however i wasn't able to found any photographs of the Iraqi's Kh-22. I wonder if anyone can help me in this did Iraqis already running out of their Kh-22 warstock ? Soviet withdraw them entirely after Iran-Iraq war ?.. Or perhaps as one ACIG member "SalmanRushdie" Said... Tom Cooper was making a fairytale there.
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 am

Tom has many fairy tales about the Iraqis.

sheytanelkebir

Post  sheytanelkebir on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 am

Iraq did not have Kh22s. unless somebody has evidence of it...

on the Iraqi Military Forum there are many discussions (with old Iraqi officers and their personal photos etc...) no one mentioned any Kh22s.

They did have some KSR-2 missiles, as well as chinese C-601, as well as ground launched and ship launched versions of them... all roughly the same "tech"... Iraq even developed some extended range shore launched versions of them the FAW-150 and FAW-180. If they had Kh22 or Kh26 surely they would have developed their upgrades based on those more modern missiles?
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Iraqi Kh-22 Fate question

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:06 pm

If it was Tom Cooper, then you should take it into consideration that he is a fiction writer. Maybe he was also mixing up the export model of Kh-28 with Kh-22.

Trexonian

Does Russia have stolen valor?

Post  Trexonian on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:27 am

As you may know, the U.S. has many incidents of where people...mostly civilians, people who have never served in the armed forces, are wearing uniforms, with medals. Most of the time they are claiming they are Ex-Navy Seals, rangers, or marines just so they can get respect, of which is something they don't deserve. Now recently this is starting to pop up in Canada as well. Recently U.S. veterans are becoming more aggressive with these "Stolen Valor" chaps, by filming them and calling them out in public. Where later they will be identified, put on the News and/or on Facebook. I imagine there are some cases where they are beat the crap out of them too, but that doesn't happen likely since everyone loves to sue people over there.

My question is, do Russians, have incidents where people are walking around, claiming they are Ex-VDV or Spetsnaz, while wearing fake uniforms? If they do, what do they do about it?
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Such phonies exist in every country but good thing is in very rare cases they actually walk around in fake uniforms, most of the part such phoneys just take pictures and brag with them with their fake facebook,vk or whatever profiles.

The 21st century is the age of phony people online, being superhereos, top models and geniuses like only Marvel comics can create but in real life all are as boring as they can only be.
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm sure it happens, although I can't say I've heard anything about the exposition of 'stolen valour' fraudsters in these parts.

Although it doesn't qualify as stolen valor as such, I witnessed quite an amusing episode myself when me, an army buddy and one of our other buddy's cousins were part of a big camping group, and at around 10 o'clock in the evening or so we took an inflatable dinghy out for a spin on the lake; bottle of whisky in hand of course.
    Our idea was basically to row ourselves up to the all the camping fires we spotted in the distance - and crash the party.
    We had quite a time doing it, but eventually we crashed the party of a few ex-VDV guys celebrating something or other. They started being a-holes when we asked if we could dry ourselves by the fire for a bit, but whatever. More seriously though, they started aggroing our buddy's cousin, who was wearing a telnyashka (part of the Naval and VDV uniform) - when he admitted that he hadn't served anywhere upon confrontation (he was barely 19).
    Well we quickly got in the way and the situation didn't escelate further; although one of them told us that if the kid was wearing a VDV telnyashka than he would have punched him out.

As it was though - he was wearing a naval one in fact. Note that both me and the other guy served in the Navy, and the telnyashkas were also part of our uniform - but neither of us gave a damn that the kid was wearing one too, live and let live, and all that.
    But for certain people it seems - they don't take kindly to anyone wearing something that they're not supposed to be.
    Stealthflanker

OPSEC "How far are they"

Post  Stealthflanker on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:47 am

Well as the title.. We know that for "security" Reason some images, tech specs and others may not be in public. The problem however is "How far"

Last time i visited arms show for anniversary of Indonesia Military, brought in new and better tool..and do repeat measurements i did last year for Leopard-2. Well i gotta admit i was wrong in my first measurement. The loader side of Leopard was really around 780-800 mm weld to weld (Me and my poor ruler missed over 20 cm last time)

Problem however it appears when i posted it online.. i got some ppl in Indonesian military forum mad Laughing Claiming about broken OPSEC...It's dangerous etc... Well i wonder if i really break anything. Our Polish brothers Militarysta repeated the same thing.. But i wonder if they ever got yelled etc..

I wonder if i really need to clarify matters to those ppl or i can just giggle on it.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:38 am

If they let people crawl all over it with a tape measure then it is not secret.

If there is a guy standing next to it with a rifle who steps between you and the vehicle every time you move towards it then don't measure and certainly dont post your results.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Skulleader

A little concerning the TK-4 helmet ...

Post  Skulleader on Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:03 am

Hello guys,

There's few days I bought one flight helmet TK-4 and I need your knowledge about the green cap with microphone.

With my TK-4 there's a rubber cap for the head and I would like to know of you can tell my the good method for put the green cap.

Is it good to put in first my head inside the rubber cap and after this I must put the green tab + microphone or in first put on my head the green tab + microphone and after this I must put the rubber tab ?

I'm very sorry for this question but it's not easy to found a good photo or manual for obtain the good result.

Please can you help me ?

PS: I'm very sorry for my poor English. Olivier
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:15 am

Skulleader wrote:Hello guys,

There's few days I bought one flight helmet TK-4 and I need your knowledge about the green cap with microphone.

With my TK-4 there's a rubber cap for the head and I would like to know of you can tell my the good method for put the green cap.

Is it good to put in first my head inside the rubber cap and after this I must put the green tab + microphone or in first put on my head the green tab + microphone and after this I must put the rubber tab ?

I'm very sorry for this question but it's not easy to found a good photo or manual for obtain the good result.

Please can you help me ?

PS: I'm very sorry for my poor English. Olivier

Please introduce yourself in the member introduction forum.
    Book.

ATGM low cost anti ship?

Post  Book. on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:14 am

ISIS v Egypt navy

look like wire anti tank

Book.

Post  Book. on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:59 am

No sure if thermo head

twitter say the kornet

Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:03 am

Book. wrote:No sure if thermo head

twitter say the kornet
    A Kornet doesn't produce such a big explosion...it seems more like a small AShM or something.
    Book.

Post  Book. on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:49 am

ISIS missile ATTACK on Egyptian navy deadly hit

Look like small anti ship

Mike u right ! clown
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:25 am

That is not an ATGM, this is explosion is vast and at least 100kg Warhead of explosives.
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:58 am

THis was just a small coast guard vessel - a 100kg warhead would rip it to pieces - but we only see some fire and then a burning ship. ATGM could cause this.
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Book. wrote:ISIS v Egypt navy

look like wire anti tank

Raytheon had developed a naval version of the Javelin ATGM. Probably it is one of those, that the US recently air dropped to ISIS.
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:THis was just a small coast guard vessel - a 100kg warhead would rip it to pieces - but we only see some fire and then a burning ship. ATGM could cause this.

The explosion of even heavy Helibrone ATGM's are roughly the same size as the tanks they hit. This ship is not only several times bigger than the biggest tank but also the explosion is 3-5 times bigger then the ship. The payload of the missile is in ten fold figure of usual ATGM's with their 8-12kg warheads.

In comperision ATGM with the highest warhead payload infantry could have is a Kornet which also is Laser Beam Rider meaning it has a very distingive trajectory whirling around within the Laser Beam.

Also the most exported Kornet's are all HEAT warheads with directed shaped charge, meaning the explosion should be smaller than HE-Frag or Thermobaric warheads.

Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:19 pm

jhelb wrote:
    Book. wrote:ISIS v Egypt navy

look like wire anti tank

Raytheon had developed a naval version of the Javelin ATGM. Probably it is one of those, that the US recently air dropped to ISIS.

Raytheon and Lockheed Martin also propagate that their Javelin and Hellfire are AShM's which they are not with lousy 8-10kg warheads with barely 8km range which would not make much more difference then using the normal HE-Frag warheads of Hellfire. Those are not AShM's.
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Werewolf wrote:Raytheon and Lockheed Martin also propagate that their Javelin and Hellfire are AShM's which they are not with lousy 8-10kg warheads with barely 8km range which would not make much more difference then using the normal HE-Frag warheads of Hellfire. Those are not AShM's.

The first pic shows that the missile was fired from the coast or from very close to the coast. We do not know what type of cargo the ship was carrying. If it was something inflammable then a ATGM can cause a lot of damage.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:59 pm