Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian ASAT development

Austin

Russian ASAT development

Post  Austin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks Garry for the wonderful Admin Work  Smile

Interesing post by arjtomh , Seems like Mig-31 was tested in ASAT configuration with live firing at LEO targets but without detonating its warhead

http://russianforces.org/blog/2013/01/another_old_anti-satellite_sys.shtml

Development of the original aircraft-based ASAT system, known as Kontakt, was approved almost 30 years ago, in November 1984 (as a direct response to the U.S. system that was first tested in 1984). The ground-based component was supposed to include the radio-optical Krona (45Zh6) complex as well as a command complex. The interceptor was carried by a modified MiG-31D aircraft (MilitaryRussia.ru has good photos of the radar and the aircraft). A three-stage interceptor was designed to hit targets at altitudes of 120-600 km (and up to 1500 km after the second stage of the project was completed). The system was supposed to attack up to 24 satellites within a 36-hour period (documents also mention 20-40 satellites in 24 hours).

Austin

Re: Russian ASAT development

Post  Austin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:29 am

From what it appears Russian are working on ASAT on 3 different fronts.

1 ) S-500 with ASAT capability for LEO Sats
    2 ) Mig-31D + Incerceptor with ASAT capability for LEO and Polar orbits ( 900 km and higher )
    3 ) Laser A-60 based aircraft with ASAT capability for LEO and Polar orbits.

I wonder if the A-60 laser is strong enough to take out the optics of satellite at Geostationary orbit i.e 36,000 Km ?
    medo

Post  medo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Is Mig-31D ASAT interceptor still alive?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Is Mig-31D ASAT interceptor still alive?

It likely never "died".

It was likely just suspended for lack of funds.

flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Austin wrote:From what it appears Russian are working on ASAT on 3 different fronts.

2 ) Mig-31D + Incerceptor with ASAT capability for LEO and Polar orbits ( 900 km and higher )

I wonder if the A-60 laser is strong enough to take out the optics of satellite at Geostationary orbit i.e 36,000 Km ?

There was also the 'Naryad' Soviet project for an anti-sat system to replace their old one (the IS).
    It was tested right in 1990 and/or 1991, just before the USSR collapsed.

I have no idea what the current status of it is. Anyone care to enlighten us?
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Austin wrote:From what it appears Russian are working on ASAT on 3 different fronts.

There was also the 'Naryad' Soviet project for an anti-sat system to replace their old one (the IS).
    It was tested right in 1990 and/or 1991, just before the USSR collapsed.

I have no idea what the current status of it is. Anyone care to enlighten us?

I think as of now, no one can say for sure, although I doubt IS-MU/MD project is dead anymore than Nymrad.

It is likely if no agreement is meet with non-militarization of space that Russia might tests its own version of ASAT and at that point

we will know what type of ASAT it chose to push with.
    franco

In Russia are developing the latest technology to defeat space targets

Post  franco on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:24 pm

GunshipDemocracy wrote:In Russia are developing the latest technology to defeat space targets

http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160319/1392757971.html
    MOSCOW, 19 Mar – RIA Novosti. Technology, allowing to hit targets in space from submarines are being developed in Russia, said Saturday the Deputy commander of the Navy for armaments Vice Admiral Victor bursuc.
    The construction of the submarine. Archive photo

"These technologies are really used, and working on that not only our scientists, but also abroad. Of course, this is one of the areas of future weapons submarines", — he told on air of radio station "Echo of Moscow".
    In 2008, Russia began large-scale military reform, the key point of which was the rearmament program of the Armed forces (AF) of the Russian Federation. In 2010 it was decided to allocate re-equipment by 2020 20 trillion rubles to increase the share of new military equipment to 70%

Dima wrote:Plz do not give the arseoles moscotimes extra clicks, thats why I posted the article in full here. There is another article w.r.t to two years of "annexation" of Crimea.

I just cannot f..ing believe such people can ber paid from Russian money! I wonder if they would say about annexation Crimea by Khrushchev ) or illegal annexation of Texas, Hawaii,California, Arizona, New Mexico...

Moscow Times is owned by Westerns, written by Westerns for the consummation of Western readers... the only thing Russian about it is it's name.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:14 am

Regarding weapons that can hit satellites... that would be S-500 and of course who are you going to blame for its existance... it was the unilateral withdrawl by the US that made the S-500 possible... they had nothing like that planned or could be planned at the time.

Now they have road mobile A-235s and soon S-500s to shoot down US satellites.
    Isos

Post  Isos on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:46 am

GarryB wrote:Regarding weapons that can hit satellites... that would be S-500 and of course who are you going to blame for its existance... it was the unilateral withdrawl by the US that made the S-500 possible... they had nothing like that planned or could be planned at the time.

wikipedia wrote:MiG-31D[edit]

Two aircraft were designated as Type 31D and were manufactured as dedicated anti-satellite models with ballast in the nose instead of radars, flat fuselage undersurface (i.e. no recessed weapon system bays) and had large winglets above and below the wing-tips. Equipped with Vympel ASAT missiles.[72]

wikipedia wrote:Russia[edit]

The successful flight test of Russia’s direct ascent anti-satellite missile, known as Nudol, took place Nov. 18, 2015, according to defense officials familiar with reports of the test.[16]

Mig 31 is ready t shoot them too Twisted Evil
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:14 pm

GarryB wrote:Regarding weapons that can hit satellites... that would be S-500 and of course who are you going to blame for its existance... it was the unilateral withdrawl by the US that made the S-500 possible... they had nothing like that planned or could be planned at the time.

True but article main topic was

Technology, allowing to hit targets in space from submarines are being developed in Russia, said

S-500 on subs?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:22 am

Mig 31 is ready t shoot them too

AFAIK they stopped that system, though it had potential it did violate the 1972 ABM treaty.

Of course now they are developing S-500, A-235, and other missiles able to reach satellites it just makes sense to have an air launched weapon too... a Mach 4.2 Mig-41 would be the ideal platform too... Smile

True but article main topic was

Technology, allowing to hit targets in space from submarines are being developed in Russia, said

S-500 on subs?

The question is what does the S-500 look like... if it is the same or similar size to S-300P/F then it could be loaded into Poliment Redut and most new Russian ships can carry it... and with lock on after launch capability it could easily be fitted to subs too.

Subs are currently very vulnerable to air power like MPAs, but the lock on after launch technology being developed for Morfei and the lock on after launch capability of ARH missiles like 9M96 would be very potent against MPAs and helos as well as UAVs...

And the ability to covertly send a sub to a region of the earth to fire anti satellite missiles before they pass over a sensitive region could be very useful to Russia.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 pm