Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

MiG-31D aircraft-based ASAT system

Austin

MiG-31D aircraft-based ASAT system

Post  Austin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks Garry for the wonderful Admin Work  Smile

Interesing post by arjtomh , Seems like Mig-31 was tested in ASAT configuration with live firing at LEO targets but without detonating its warhead

http://russianforces.org/blog/2013/01/another_old_anti-satellite_sys.shtml

Development of the original aircraft-based ASAT system, known as Kontakt, was approved almost 30 years ago, in November 1984 (as a direct response to the U.S. system that was first tested in 1984). The ground-based component was supposed to include the radio-optical Krona (45Zh6) complex as well as a command complex. The interceptor was carried by a modified MiG-31D aircraft (MilitaryRussia.ru has good photos of the radar and the aircraft). A three-stage interceptor was designed to hit targets at altitudes of 120-600 km (and up to 1500 km after the second stage of the project was completed). The system was supposed to attack up to 24 satellites within a 36-hour period (documents also mention 20-40 satellites in 24 hours).

Austin

Re: MiG-31D aircraft-based ASAT system

Post  Austin on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:29 am

From what it appears Russian are working on ASAT on 3 different fronts.

1 ) S-500 with ASAT capability for LEO Sats
    2 ) Mig-31D + Incerceptor with ASAT capability for LEO and Polar orbits ( 900 km and higher )
    3 ) Laser A-60 based aircraft with ASAT capability for LEO and Polar orbits.

I wonder if the A-60 laser is strong enough to take out the optics of satellite at Geostationary orbit i.e 36,000 Km ?
    medo

Post  medo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Is Mig-31D ASAT interceptor still alive?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Is Mig-31D ASAT interceptor still alive?

It likely never "died".

It was likely just suspended for lack of funds.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Austin wrote:From what it appears Russian are working on ASAT on 3 different fronts.

2 ) Mig-31D + Incerceptor with ASAT capability for LEO and Polar orbits ( 900 km and higher )

I wonder if the A-60 laser is strong enough to take out the optics of satellite at Geostationary orbit i.e 36,000 Km ?

There was also the 'Naryad' Soviet project for an anti-sat system to replace their old one (the IS).
    It was tested right in 1990 and/or 1991, just before the USSR collapsed.

I have no idea what the current status of it is. Anyone care to enlighten us?
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    Austin wrote:From what it appears Russian are working on ASAT on 3 different fronts.

There was also the 'Naryad' Soviet project for an anti-sat system to replace their old one (the IS).
    It was tested right in 1990 and/or 1991, just before the USSR collapsed.

I have no idea what the current status of it is. Anyone care to enlighten us?

I think as of now, no one can say for sure, although I doubt IS-MU/MD project is dead anymore than Nymrad.

It is likely if no agreement is meet with non-militarization of space that Russia might tests its own version of ASAT and at that point

we will know what type of ASAT it chose to push with.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:21 am