Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Soviet era reserve vehicles.

d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

As many will know, that Russia has huge stock piles of vehicles in reserve the numbers are truely staggering and i wouldnt be surprised if Russia had the biggest reserves of vehicles.

Just a quick look at the numbers, these are approximate figures. Its always hard to tell how many are in reserve and in what state. If anyone has more accurate figures please share them.

4,500 T-80's
    8,000 T72's
    10,000 BMP 1's
    6,500 BMP 2's
    2,400 BMD 1's
    1,500 BMD 2's
    5,000 MT-LB's
    1,400 2S1's
    1,600 2S3's
    500 2S5's
    2,200 BM21's
    90 BM27's
    as well 3,000 field artillery pieces.
    and i am sure there will be many more various vehicles including the BTR 152/50/60/70/80, BDRM 2's, ZSU 23-4's, T-55's, T-62/64's, PT-76's, FROG-7's, Tochka's and air defence vehicles.
    And this is just for vehicles just think of the reserves for the Air forces, fixed wing, transport, helicopters etc.

so this makes me ask why??? and what to do with them???
    of course some need to be kept incase of war, but the rest and just rusting away or gathering dust. Some of the vehicles could have upgrades done to them and offered for export to poor nations, but some are too old to be of much use other than being used for riot control, sold for scrap, sold as collectors vehicles  or sold to museums.
    I read somewhere recently that the Russians were developing a new artillery recce vehicle based on the BMP 1.
    The MT-LB's are probably the most useful and versatile of the vehicles above they have been used for loads of different uses.
    when i was in Cambodia i saw a T-55 chassis with a 140mm BM-14 on top of it.  Very Happy 

So if anyone has any information, ideas for upgrades, or views on this please share.

Last edited by George1 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:54 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling and edit info)

etaepsilonk

Re: Soviet era reserve vehicles.

Post  etaepsilonk on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:As many will know, that Russia has huge stock piles of vehicles in reserve the numbers are truely staggering and i wouldnt be surprised if Russia had the biggest reserves of vehicles.

Just a quick look at the numbers, these are approximate figures. Its always hard to tell how many are in reserve and in what state. If anyone has more accurate figures please share them.

4,500 T-80's
    8,000 T72's
    10,000 BMP 1's
    6,500 BMP 2's
    2,400 BMD 1's
    1,500 BMD 2's
    5,000 MT-LB's
    1,400 2S1's
    1,600 2S3's
    500 2S5's
    2,200 BM21's
    90 BM27's
    as well 3,000 field artillery pieces.
    and i am sure there will be many more various vehicles including the BTR 152/50/60/70/80, BDRM 2's, ZSU 23-4's, T-55's, T-62/64's, PT-76's, FROG-7's, Tochka's and air defence vehicles.
    And this is just for vehicles just think of the reserves for the Air forces, fixed wing, transport, helicopters etc.

so this makes me ask why??? and what to do with them???
    of course some need to be kept incase of war, but the rest and just rusting away or gathering dust. Some of the vehicles could have upgrades done to them and offered for export to poor nations, but some are too old to be of much use other than being used for riot control, sold for scrap, sold as collectors vehicles  or sold to museums.
    I read somewhere recently that the Russians were developing a new artillery recce vehicle based on the BMP 1.
    The MT-LB's are probably the most useful and versatile of the vehicles above they have been used for loads of different uses.
    when i was in Cambodia i saw a T-55 chassis with a 140mm BM-14 on top of it.  Very Happy 

So if anyone has any information, ideas for upgrades, or views on this please share.

Simple. They take the vehicle to the local "goldhands" mechanic, who tear it apart, "upgrade", add all that protective frame structure (like in rally cars), generally try to create the design as creepy as possible. And then they drive around the roads, scaring people, and filming all that for youtube clip, which is usually titled "wonders of russia" or "russians having fun" or something like that  Smile 
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:13 am

On another thread it was mentioned that 14,000 vehicles will be withdrawn... didn't say what they were doing with them, but removing them from service and their logistics pool of parts and components and ammo types should free up money and storage space and personel... and be a very nice 2014 Xmas present...

Add your name to this list if you want a vehicle or two:

GarryB

Very Happy

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Stealthflanker

Post  Stealthflanker on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 am

honestly. i want to own T-80U and T-72.  Cool 

medo

Post  medo on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 pm

Reserve vehicles are meant for reserve units. In case of war, reserve units are mobilized and they need their equipment from reserve stocks. Active units could not give them their own. Russia have combined army whit professional and conscript units, which give them large reserve for case of war.
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:50 pm

gib T-72s plox. next time armatas plox.
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:27 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:gib T-72s plox. next time armatas plox.

Damn tank beggars.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm

TR1 wrote:
    collegeboy16 wrote:gib T-72s plox. next time armatas plox.

Damn tank beggars.

They're still better than oil or loan beggars, don't you agree? Smile

On another matter, if you want to actually use your vehicle (and not just place it in front of your dacha gates Smile ) tank may not be the best option, they're gas guzzlers. Much better would be lighter vehicles, like MT-LB, BTRs. I think, that in my country one dude owns an old M113, uses it as bulldozer or something Smile
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Give some T-80s and BMP-2s to Syria and maybe even bulgaria Razz ?
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:09 pm

T-80 would be a terrible choice, when Russia still has a metric shit-ton of T-72s.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:14 pm

TR1 wrote:T-80 would be a terrible choice, when Russia still has a metric shit-ton of T-72s.

Why?
    If the issue is engine, you could replace it fairly cheaply with Ukrainian 6TD.
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:38 pm

1.) Syria has no experience with T-80s. Crews have lots of experience with T-72.
    2.) Fuel consumption.
    3.) T-72B is better armored, and auto loader is a bit less exposed.
    4.) Urban combat makes the T-80s advantages (missile use, more advanced fire control) minimal.

Take your pick.

Replacing with 6TD is neither cheap not easy, and is especially non applicable in this scenario.
    Syria needs tanks it can fight with, for cheap.

etaepsilonk

Post  etaepsilonk on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:42 pm

TR1 wrote:1.) Syria has no experience with T-80s. Crews have lots of experience with T-72.
    2.) Fuel consumption.
    3.) T-72B is better armored, and auto loader is a bit less exposed.
    4.) Urban combat makes the T-80s advantages (missile use, more advanced fire control) minimal.

Take your pick.

Replacing with 6TD is neither cheap not easy, and is especially non applicable in this scenario.
    Syria needs tanks it can fight with, for cheap.

Oh, you meant Syria...

I was thinking more of just simple export Smile
    My bad...
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:58 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:Give some T-80s and BMP-2s to Syria and maybe even bulgaria Razz ?

There is a fear from the west that Russia-Iran oil for goods deal inculudes Syria also and if you look at Russian plans to withdraw 14 000 armour this year, much of it could end up in Syria as it should in that case. Excellent deal for Russia.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:44 am

There is a fear from the west that Russia-Iran oil for goods deal inculudes Syria also and if you look at Russian plans to withdraw 14 000 armour this year, much of it could end up in Syria as it should in that case. Excellent deal for Russia.

And excellent deal for Syria.

Of the 14,000 vehicles withdrawn this year only a small percentage will be MBTs... for every MBT there are dozens of other vehicles.

Personally I think a BTR-80 or BRDM-3 would be fun... the latter being the one with the fully retractable 5 tube launcher for the AT-4/AT-5 missile system.

A Shilka would be a hoot, and an OSA would be fun too.

A Scud missile truck would be fun... especially if you remodelled it into a campertruck with a fake missile that does not raise that can be used for extra internal volume.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 pm

thanks for the replies. does anyone an the article about the withdrawal of the 14,000 vehicles?

I wonder if they will upgrade any of the older stuff and sell as export to poorer countries, if they will just focus on selling modern stuff?

Id imagine that Syria, and some of the poor custom union countries may get some aswell as Tajkistan army more upto date vehicles or just more vehicles for when the pull out in Afhgan happens.

I suppose they can also be used as bargaining chips with poorer countries or to sweeten deals.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:18 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:thanks for the replies. does anyone an the article about the withdrawal of the 14,000 vehicles?

I wonder if they will upgrade any of the older stuff and sell as export to poorer countries, if they will just focus on selling modern stuff?

Id imagine that Syria, and some of the poor custom union countries may get some aswell as Tajkistan army more upto date vehicles or just more vehicles for when the pull out in Afhgan happens.

I suppose they can also be used as bargaining chips with poorer countries or to sweeten deals.

Here is the LINK

Than you have this link

Russia to Supply Arms to Kyrgyzstan in 2014

and I guess some of withdrawn arms will end up in Kyrgyzstan ...

and this link

Moscow to rearm Tajikistan’s army

so yes, I think on withdrawn weapons will be applied modernization and weapons transfered to its destination
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 am

I have a feeling by the time all BMP-2s and T-72s are gone from the fleet, the new vehicles will no longer be "without analogues".
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:00 am

TR1 wrote:I have a feeling by the time all BMP-2s and T-72s are gone from the fleet, the new vehicles will no longer be "without analogues".

TBH the next gen of armored vehicles is coming at a terribly slow rate. 

The US has the A3 Abrams and nothing even close to advanced development to replace that. Along with what is basically recycled crap to replace the legendary M113 etc. I mean they are still talking about a 80 ton Bradley-replacement if that tells you anything...

Germany has been talking about a Leo 3 but they seem to be prefer just upgrading the Leo 2 chassis. All their current vehicles except for maybe the Leo 2 will be in service till the 30's at least (Boxer, Puma etc are inter-gen).

And most other countries are doing the same thing... The Armata family should be the first true "next gen family" of armored vehicles. Kinda like the T-80 of next gen if you get what I mean.
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:16 am

TR1 wrote:
    I have a feeling by the time all BMP-2s and T-72s are gone from the fleet, the new vehicles will no longer be "without analogues".

They don't have to replace every single BMP2 and T-72, no country could afford replacing 7000 tanks with such new vehicle that will burn through 40 years military budget for procurement.
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Mike E wrote:
    TBH the next gen of armored vehicles is coming at a terribly slow rate. 

The US has the A3 Abrams and nothing even close to advanced development to replace that. Along with what is basically recycled crap to replace the legendary M113 etc. I mean they are still talking about a 80 ton Bradley-replacement if that tells you anything...

Germany has been talking about a Leo 3 but they seem to be prefer just upgrading the Leo 2 chassis. All their current vehicles except for maybe the Leo 2 will be in service till the 30's at least (Boxer, Puma etc are inter-gen).

everyone with designs for next gen AFVs are gonna be looking real hard at what the Russians will field in the coming years, and so there is real pressure on the them not to fck it up- any mistake made is another potential advantage for those taking notes.

ive read about the leo 3 being a french-german joint effort, leoclec or sumthin. tho whatever they produce would cost like an attack helo

Mike E wrote:
    And most other countries are doing the same thing... The Armata family should be the first true "next gen family" of armored vehicles. Kinda like the T-80 of next gen if you get what I mean.
    more like T-72, if talking about MBT which is sanitized version of the monster that is T-95.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

They don't have to replace every single BMP2 and T-72, no country could afford replacing 7000 tanks with such new vehicle that will burn through 40 years military budget for procurement.

exactly the T-72, BMP-2, BTR 80A/82 will be around for some time yet,
    i would imagine they will replaced units using older equipment first.
    i.e units still using BMP-1 first, theirs roughly 650 of them still in service, and 10,000 in reserve, Russia really needs to start selling these off to poorer nations.
    BMP-2 about 1,850 in service and 6,500 in reserve.
    1,100 BTR 80/80A/82 in service. Some BTR 60 and 70's are still in service in small numbers, nearly 4,000 BTR 60's in reserve these really need to sold of soon.
    T-72's in service roughly 2,200 (of various variants) and 8,000 in reserve.
    As for T-80 these are slowly being phased out 1,400 in service, 3,000 in reserve, these should be sold off i think and just keep T-72 in reserve.
    And of course the T-90 and BMP-3 roughly 700 of each in service will still be service for a long time.
    And MT-LB theirs roughly 1,500 in service, and 5,000 in reserve, these will also be replaced at a slow rate. And i haven't even covered the replacement of artilley units and the BMD's in airbourne units.
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:50 am

Mobile warfare that seems to be out of the Russian reserve by the begin of 2018:

Being in charge of the defense of some of the less advanced countries, and in the case of having some of them (not all, of course), this is the old mobile warfare that I would sale for fast use, without buy new units and without expend money on upgrades or repairs:

SU-122
    BM-13
    SU-100
    T-34
    BM-24
    BTR-40
    BTR-152
    BM-14
    BRDM-1
    PT-76
    BTR-50
    SA-9
    GT-MU

Il-28
    MiG-15
    Tu-16
    MiG-17
    Be-12

This is the old mobile warfare that I would keep, without spend money on upgrades basically because they are too old:

FROG-1
    ZSU-57-2
    FROG-2
    FROG-3/5
    ASU-85
    IS-10/T-10
    SS-12/22
    FROG-7
    T-54
    T-62
    T-55
    AT-T

MiG-19
    Yak-27
    Su-9
    Su-11
    Yak-28
    Su-7
    Yak-38
    Su-15

Some of the warfare of this group was not exported, but I wanted to put all them together. Also I wanted to include the aircrafts in all the groups.

And this would be the old mobile warfare that I would keep and where I would be open to upgrades:

T-64

MiG-21

Mobile warfare that seems to be in the Russian reserve by the begin of 2018:

I would be open to buy at the right price, every type of vehicle that Russia wants to quit from its reserve warfare, except the Il-38, that would go to the first group when retired.

Last edited by eehnie on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 am; edited 2 times in total
    d_taddei2

MT-LB another soviet hero

Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:50 am

when people think of soviet hero's (in terms of equipment etc) most will automatically think T-55, T-72, BMP-1, BM-21, Mig-21 and Mig-25 etc etc,

But one piece of equipment that often gets forgotten about and many people even over look it, is the MT-LB. Why is it a Soviet hero? i think it has to be said one word comes to mind versatility and the fact its still in wide spread use and in vast numbers, its been used in just about every form of armour vehicle variant known to man. Its also still being purchased by countries, Iraq recently placed an order for roughly 500 MT-LB's armed with ZU-23-2 23.

A brief description of the vehicle taken from source - The crew, a driver and a commander/gunner sit in a compartment at the front of the vehicle, with the engine behind them. A compartment at the rear enables up to 11 infantry to be carried or a cargo of up to 2,000 kg. A load of 6,500 kg can be towed. The vehicle is fully amphibious, being propelled by its tracks in the water.

A small turret at the front of the vehicle fits a 7.62 mm PKT machine gun with 360 degree manual traverse and an elevation of -5 to +30 degrees. The vehicle is lightly armoured against small arms and shell splinters with a thickness of 3 to 10 mm of steel. The infantry compartment has two hatches over the top, which open forwards. There are four firing ports - one in either side of the hull, the other two in the rear twin doors of the infantry compartment.

The driver is provided with a TVN-2 infra-red periscope, which in combination with the OU-3GK infra-red/white light search light provides a range of about 40 m. All vehicles include an NBC system.

Below is a list of some of its uses:

Artillery tractor
    Ambulance
    Arctic (climate) vehicle
    Ground surveillance radar vehicle
    Anti-tank version armed with AT-6
    NBC reconnaissance
    Engineer vehicle, with an hydraulic dozer blade and an extendable hydraulic arm with a bucket and armoured recovery and repair.
    Command vehicle
    Comms and SIGINT vehicle
    Artillery observer vehicle
    Mine-laying systems vehicle
    Electronic warfare system vehicle

and more common versions known to many

Anti air Strela-10 (SA-13 Gopher) system
    Artillery in the following forms of:
    2S1 122mm howitzer system,
    Chosta 120mm mortar system,
    system armed with the 82mm automatic mortar system 2B14 Podnos.

its also spawned the MT-LBu which shared some similar roles

it was also used as an APC and a form of cheap IFV having various turrets attached such as:
    14.5mm
    GSh-23V 23 mm
    AGS-17/AGS-30
    NSV/Kord 12.7 mm
    GSh-30K 30 mm
    ZSU 23-2
    ZSU 23-2 + Igla SAM system (anti air system)
    Kornet ATGM system
    turret from BTR 80
    and a various combinations of the above

so as you can see the list of uses are almost endless. I think despite its thin armour this vehicle used in APC/IFV form is a cheap decent alternative to more expensive IFV, for armed forces on budget this could be a great alternative and Russia has 1,000's in storage to sell. I have to say again that the key strength and success of this vehicle has been down to its versatility and as an added bonus its cheap.

it would be nice to see other peoples views on the MT-LB and do you think its worthy to be included in the long list of Soviet hero's??

some pics below including some different variants

Last edited by d_taddei2 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:04 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : pics)
    Book.

Post  Book. on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:36 am

I like MT-LBu. 15 ton 300hp. thumbsup

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:31 pm