Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Share

    victor1985

    Posts : 723
    Points : 764
    Join date : 2015-01-02

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  victor1985 on Mon May 25, 2015 7:44 am

    medo wrote:I couldn't answer you exactly here, because I'm now behind the time. I'm now some years out of military and I never worked with digital PESA or AESA radar, only with analogue mechanical one generation from eighties. But I think some things are the same.

    You have to know, that radar signal, which go from emitter become weaker, before it reach target and than signal, which go back from target to receiver again become weaker. Ergo, if RWR detector is the same sensitive as is radar receiver, than could detect radar emissions in twice of radar range. It only depend in which frequencies it listen. The jammer is most effective, when its emitting in the same frequency is stronger, than signal, which radar send and come back from target. As I hear in past it was a big problem with OSA (SAM-8 ), that it was actually unjammable, because it have so high power radar, that jammers on planes could not overcome with noise the power of returning signal. But it need very skilled operators, who know to look in crude radar picture.

    AESA and PESA radars have lower power signals, so old RWR detectors could not register them and ignore hem as noise. But newer RWR detectors sensitivities could be suited for those radars. Jammers could easily overcome with power of noise the power of returning signal, but AESA and PESA radars could easier change frequencies with frequency hoping, so the jamming noise is not in the proper frequency as returning signal and radar then easily ignore jamming noise in wrong frequency and see target. But in peace time all radars work only in peace time frequency without hoping. But I think modern radars with modern digital computers could quite effectively do with jamming in constant frequency with coding signals.
    Maibe if the radar would use short pulses of strong signal.....thus prevent energy loosing and test the jammer capability. Also if the signal become weaker whit yhw distance is true for jammers too....that could tell a strategy to make. When you are far away from jammers use much power when you are close use less. Also if the enemy dont know wich frecvency and power do you operate will try it all include the end and start wich can perform. In this you could see fast what enemy can. And is not only about power. Noise means must add same signals. That depend of the algorithm you use on on emitting signals. Jumping fast in signals to cover all the posibilityes has a limit. Thus for blocking a x ghz signal mean that they must fast changing frecvency. You could simply do the trick whit staying on same frecvency. Then a cpu will calculate the algorithm of noise. And use correct algorithm for you.

    victor1985

    Posts : 723
    Points : 764
    Join date : 2015-01-02

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  victor1985 on Mon May 25, 2015 9:00 am

    sepheronx wrote:
    Giulio wrote:Hello.
    I'm sorry, but I do not have time to read all the forums.
    By dint of reading in the West about the supposed "backwardness" of Russia, I would like to hear some other bells.
    In short, could you explain briefly what a PESA radar and what an AESA radar are and, above all: is it true that the first AESA radar was on a Mig-31? Thanks for the replies.

    PESA

    AESA

    In short, PESA is a consentration of energy at a single point that produces a massive beam.  AESA is where you got multiple transmitters creating a beam.  Advantage of AESA is that it is harder to fight against in terms of electronic warfare and pick up its transmissions.  PESA is a lot simpler to make and cheaper too.  As well, what is not mentioned, is that PESA tends to be more accurate in its readings due to high amount of power concentrated at one point.  Problem is that it is easier to pick up its transmissions and easier to combat in EW.  In modern times, most aircrafts are equipped with ECM/ECCM subsystems so that can counter this issue.

    MiG-31 radar is PESA radar.  Zaslon radar.

    Irbis-E radar is a hybrid radar (bit of both worlds).

    Phazotron has its Zhuk-A series of AESA radar and Tikhomirov NIIP has their Byelka radar which is AESA.  Zhuk-A has already been tested and flown in the MiG-29M2 for India and is being placed on Ka-52K helicopters.  Byelka is being made for PAK FA and has already been tested/flown.  Possibly can be used as well for current gen aircrafts as well.

    Ground based AESA radar systems are apparently different.  Russia has various ones, one being the NEBO SVU radar.
    The PESA work by the rule that two or more radar or other waves when they meet each other become one single wave whit longer wavelenght? A PESA/AESA combination can be maked? Oh that is irbis....
    But then just free up space in the plane make in bigger and make a big PESA radar....
    Also a user from forum said that noise come in spikes...just transmit on that spike frecvencies and you get no jamming. But then the enemy would try to reach lots of spikes....that consume battery...but aircrafts have electric generators that work non stop.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16302
    Points : 16933
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  GarryB on Tue May 26, 2015 1:01 pm

    Seems to be the trend today.... the Eurofighter entered service well before all its capabilities and systems were ready.

    I think people are not appreciating the problems with AESA production... the MiG-35 has an array of over 1,000 by 1,000 transmit/receive modules... that is 1 million modules per aircraft... which is a lot to produce.

    the first ones can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars each to make but over time and improvements in production the quality and production capacity goes up and the dud rate goes down... remember a dud module costs the same amount to make as a good module... you just can't use it on a radar antenna.

    At the end of the day if the first 30 aircraft don't have an AESA that is not the end of the world... as later planes get the AESA radars the production numbers will increase as will production capacity and new designs and new technology to make them better and cheaper... once that happens those first production aircraft can get replacement radar antenna fitted for rather less money than it would cost if they sold them with under tested and under developed experimental models.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 2:08 pm

    GarryB wrote:Seems to be the trend today.... the Eurofighter entered service well before all its capabilities and systems were ready.

    I think people are not appreciating the problems with AESA production... the MiG-35 has an array of over 1,000 by 1,000 transmit/receive modules... that is 1 million modules per aircraft... which is a lot to produce.

    the first ones can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars each to make but over time and improvements in production the quality and production capacity goes up and the dud rate goes down... remember a dud module costs the same amount to make as a good module... you just can't use it on a radar antenna.

    At the end of the day if the first 30 aircraft don't have an AESA that is not the end of the world... as later planes get the AESA radars the production numbers will increase as will production capacity and new designs and new technology to make them better and cheaper... once that happens those first production aircraft can get replacement radar antenna fitted for rather less money than it would cost if they sold them with under tested and under developed experimental models.

    Well actually there are other problems in that AESA radar other than its delay . One of them is its limited range compared to western AESA radars . the range of the radar with 960 modules is up to 160 km for air targets . This was shown by KRET at Aero India 2015 and was offered to India



    http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/aero-india-2015-dfi-meet-with-saurav-jha.65727/page-8
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 2:44 pm

    And? 160Km range is within similar ranges for western radars (aesa as well).

    http://www.arabic-military.com/t18249-topic

    Aesa on F-35 and F-22 are better due to more T/R modules of course.
    avatar
    mack8

    Posts : 953
    Points : 1013
    Join date : 2013-08-02

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  mack8 on Tue May 26, 2015 3:23 pm

    160 km range must be surely for FIGHTER size target (3 or 5 sqm can't recall now). The Zhuk-ME can already do 120 or 130 km for same.

    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 3:26 pm

    sepheronx wrote:And? 160Km range is within similar ranges for western radars (aesa as well).

    http://www.arabic-military.com/t18249-topic

    Aesa on F-35 and F-22 are better due to more T/R modules of course.


    Could u refer to a single AESA radar with about 1000 modules with range less than or equal to 160 Km ?

    Operational Rafale AESA radar which have less modules have a range more than 200 km

    Captor-E radar intended for Typhoon have 1200-1500 modules with a range up to 360 Km

    FGA-35 and Captor-E radars both have nearly the same diameter of about 600 mm . But as u can see much more modules at Captor-E

    By the way the standard Russian target is 5m2 . So when they say the range is up to 160 Km this means against 5m2 target .
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 3:26 pm

    mack8 wrote:160 km range must be surely for FIGHTER size target (3 or 5 sqm can't recall now). The Zhuk-ME can already  do 120 or 130 km for same.

    Standard measurement for russia is about 5m^2 but have seen 3m^2 mentioned too. All previous Zhuks were measured between these two besides old ones.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 3:29 pm

    house200888 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:And? 160Km range is within similar ranges for western radars (aesa as well).

    http://www.arabic-military.com/t18249-topic

    Aesa on F-35 and F-22 are better due to more T/R modules of course.


    Could u refer to a single AESA radar with about 1000 modules with range less than or equal to 160 Km ?

    Operational Rafale AESA radar which have less modules have a range more than 200 km

    Captor-E radar intended for Typhoon have 1200-1500 modules with a range up to 360 Km

    FGA-35 and Captor-E radars both have nearly the same diameter of about 600 mm . But as u can see much more modules at Captor-E

    By the way the standard Russian target is 5m2 . So when they say the range is up to 160 Km this means against 5m2 target .

    And Russian N036 AESA has around 400km range (its AESA based off of Irbis-e at around 1500t/r modules.

    Rafale isnt even equipped with AESA yet and we dont really know. APG-80 is roughly less than 160km with similar diamaters to MiG-29 radar.

    The AESA FGA radar with over 1000 t/r modules is still undergoing tests, so lets see what they come up with. Test of MiG-35 in India had roughly a little over 600 t/r modules with similar performances listed as the one with 900 so it could be some other issue.

    if the two (rafale and captor) are true, they outmatch American AESA at similar sizes greatly. So let us wait and see what is really happening. If there is an issue with lack of power from the T/R modulss supplied to Phazotron, then they can get similar to ones used on N036 which I think is already the case. Or wait till the photon based aesa radars are testing/operational.


    Last edited by sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    mack8

    Posts : 953
    Points : 1013
    Join date : 2013-08-02

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  mack8 on Tue May 26, 2015 3:34 pm

    Yes just did a quick research and Zhuk-ME does 120km for a 5 sqm target, presumably Zhuk-M2E does a bit more. To compare of course one needs rough similar data from competitor's radars, but of course they hardly ever are open as russian companies are on these things (ironically). They only say they are "unmatched" and hide behind the "classified" mantra and other blah blah. Doubtful similar radars to Zhuk-ME and Zhuk-AE are that much better, physics work the same everywhere.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 3:37 pm

    mack8 wrote:Yes just did a quick research and Zhuk-ME does 120km for a 5 sqm target, presumably Zhuk-M2E does a bit more. To compare of course one needs rough similar data from competitor's radars, but of course they hardly ever are open as russian companies are on these things (ironically). They only say they are "unmatched" and hide behind the "classified" mantra and other blah blah. Doubtful similar radars to Zhuk-ME and Zhuk-AE are that much better, physics work the same everywhere.

    The difference is how much power per t/r module can really help performance as well.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 3:54 pm

    Besides forum posts, and some rumors, I cant find detection/tracking ranges for western aesa radars. Nothing official at least.

    If some rumors are true, then I dont know where house got his numbers for both Captor and RBE2-AA radar from, cause others state less.
    avatar
    Russian Patriot

    Posts : 1169
    Points : 2063
    Join date : 2009-07-21
    Age : 26
    Location : USA- although I am Russian

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  Russian Patriot on Tue May 26, 2015 3:58 pm

    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2015/05/mil-150525-sputnik03.htm?_m=3n%2e002a%2e1426%2edd0ao031i6%2e1b5c 2 Billion  dollars  for the 46 MIG 29 Fulcrum
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3193
    Points : 3283
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  medo on Tue May 26, 2015 4:12 pm

    It's not only about t/r number, but also about radar peak power. Irbis radar from Su-35, which is hybrid between PESA and AESA have a peak power of 20 kW and have a range around 400 km against 3 m2 RCS (fighter size) targets. There is no doubt, that Irbis could detect larger targets like AWACS, tankers, bombers, transport planes, etc at far larger distances like 600+ km, but other question is, to which distance radar display is calibrated and at what distance it will start showing targets on display.

    I wonder, what peak power will those AESA radars on Rafale and Eurofighter have, but I doubt they will be as powerful as Irbis or Bars-M radar. Maybe their radars will have range of 200 km and 360 km, but in what mode and for what size of RCS. They could detect big planes at that distance or big ships, but not fighter size targets.

    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 4:16 pm

    And Russian N036 AESA has around 400km range (its AESA based off of Irbis-e at around 1500t/r modules.

    Absolutely it is a great radar benefiting from big Sukhoi noses and power
    But I am talking about FGA-35

    Rafale isnt even equipped with AESA yet and we dont really know. APG-80 is roughly less than 160km with similar diamaters to MiG-29 radar.

    No Rafale is using its AESA radar for 2-3 years now . The current standard of the Rafale is called F3.4 (to be F3R in 2018)

    APG-80 has a range of up to 120 Km for 1m2 target . Which means it is much more than 160 Km for 5m2 target
    http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/aesa-radars-for-fighters-brief-review.html


    The AESA FGA radar with over 1000 t/r modules is still undergoing tests, so lets see what they come up with. Test of MiG-35 in India had roughly a little over 600 t/r modules with similar performances listed as the one with 900 so it could be some other issue.

    The one used in MMRCA had a range of up to 130 Km (and Indians even said it shows less than that)
    The goal was to increase the range to exceed 200 Km . But what they offered to India in AERO INDIA 2015 was much less


    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 4:21 pm

    "AN/APG-80 is Northrop-Grumman's AESA radar which developed for export with F-16E/F block 60 and intended for 4th gen. fighters modernization programs too. In comparison with older slotted array F-16C/D radar AN/AGP-68(V)7 the range of fly target detection is as twice as longer while synthetic aperture mode is added for ground strike capability."

    It has a range nearly up to 300 Km
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 4:28 pm

    house200888 wrote:
    And Russian N036 AESA has around 400km range (its AESA based off of Irbis-e at around 1500t/r modules.

    Absolutely it is a great radar benefiting from big Sukhoi noses and power
    But I am talking about FGA-35

    Rafale isnt even equipped with AESA yet and we dont really know. APG-80 is roughly less than 160km with similar diamaters to MiG-29 radar.

    No Rafale is using its AESA radar for 2-3 years now . The current standard of the Rafale is called F3.4 (to be F3R in 2018)

    APG-80 has a range of up to 120 Km for 1m2 target . Which means it is much more than 160 Km for 5m2 target
    http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/aesa-radars-for-fighters-brief-review.html


    The AESA FGA radar with over 1000 t/r modules is still undergoing tests, so lets see what they come up with. Test of MiG-35 in India had roughly a little over 600 t/r modules with similar performances listed as the one with 900 so it could be some other issue.

    The one used in MMRCA had a range of up to 130 Km (and Indians even said it shows less than that)
    The goal was to increase the range to exceed 200 Km . But what they offered to India in AERO INDIA 2015 was much less


    N036 has nothing to do with size when it carries the same amount of T/R modules as what you are saying as Captor-E, yet has greater range.

    I dont know where they get that 1M^2 figures from because other sites list 3 - 5 m^2. Also, look at the amount of T/R modules mentioned too.

    Not saying it is wrong, it could be right, but I checked out the companies websites and couldnt find official data.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 4:29 pm

    house200888 wrote:"AN/APG-80 is Northrop-Grumman's AESA radar which developed for export with F-16E/F block 60 and intended for 4th gen. fighters modernization programs too. In comparison with older slotted array F-16C/D radar AN/AGP-68(V)7 the range of fly target detection is as twice as longer while synthetic aperture mode is added for ground strike capability."

    Yet your link states something else. So what is it? A lot of conflict in information.

    Your igor blog post states 110-140 or whatever km in 1m^2 yet now you are saying 300? If you are gonna use a link to try to prove your point, dont try to change the articles claims then with your own. It would be considered disinformation.
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 4:47 pm

    House, from what you linked me, I checked out the site and found this: http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/some-questions-about-fazotrons-aesa-are.html?m=1

    According to the small talk, the Zhuk-AE technically can detect at 250km with 680 or so modules. He stated that they greatly underplay the performance charactoristics. He also said the problem is that the radars modules are meant to transmit at 5mw per module but only do so at 3-3.5mw, and is a powerplant issue.

    edit: replace mw with w in my comment and it starts to make sense.


    Last edited by sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 4:53 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    house200888 wrote:"AN/APG-80 is Northrop-Grumman's AESA radar which developed for export with F-16E/F block 60 and intended for 4th gen. fighters modernization programs too. In comparison with older slotted array F-16C/D radar AN/AGP-68(V)7 the range of fly target detection is as twice as longer while synthetic aperture mode is added for ground strike capability."

    Yet your link states something else. So what is it? A lot of conflict in information.

    Your igor blog post states 110-140 or whatever km in 1m^2 yet now you are saying 300? If you are gonna use a link to try to prove your point, dont try to change the articles claims then with your own. It would be considered disinformation.

    There is No conflict my friend Smile
    This quote is from the same blog and the same page Smile

    The detection range against 1m2 target is different than that of 10m2 target or maximum range

    My speculation that the max range is around 300 Km (actually that what a friend from UAE told me . As they own the radar)

    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm

    sepheronx wrote:House, from what you linked me, I checked out the site and found this: http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/some-questions-about-fazotrons-aesa-are.html?m=1

    According to the small talk, the Zhuk-AE technically can detect at 250km with 680 or so modules. He stated that they greatly underplay the performance charactoristics. He also said the problem is that the radars modules are meant to transmit at 5mw per module but only do so at 3-3.5mw, and is a powerplant issue.

    Yes I read that before
    That was the goal back in 2009 as I mentioned before
    But what we have seen as a fact in 2015 is totally different
    I think their was difficulties in practical side


    The one used in MMRCA had a range of up to 130 Km (and Indians even said it shows less than that)
    The goal was to increase the range to exceed 200 Km . But what they offered to India in AERO INDIA 2015 was much less


    Last edited by house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 4:59 pm

    house200888 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:
    house200888 wrote:"AN/APG-80 is Northrop-Grumman's AESA radar which developed for export with F-16E/F block 60 and intended for 4th gen. fighters modernization programs too. In comparison with older slotted array F-16C/D radar AN/AGP-68(V)7 the range of fly target detection is as twice as longer while synthetic aperture mode is added for ground strike capability."

    Yet your link states something else. So what is it? A lot of conflict in information.

    Your igor blog post states 110-140 or whatever km in 1m^2 yet now you are saying 300? If you are gonna use a link to try to prove your point, dont try to change the articles claims then with your own. It would be considered disinformation.

    There is No conflict my friend Smile
    This quote is from the same blog and the same page  Smile

    The detection range against 1m2 target is different than that of 10m2 target or maximum range

    My speculation that the max range is around 300 Km (actually that what a friend from UAE told me . As they own the radar)
     

    So at 10m^2, they can detect at 300km? Hmm, I dont believe that, but it is possible.

    So according to phazotron chief in the article I posted, the Zhuk AE is capable of detection at 250km for 3m^2 but only if the modules operate at 5 watts, which they dont due to powersupply issue.

    As for info from friend, it isnt considered reliable as it is word of mouth so we can only presume.

    Edit: i am wrong again. 220Km 3m^2 250km 5m^2
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  sepheronx on Tue May 26, 2015 5:05 pm

    house200888 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:House, from what you linked me, I checked out the site and found this: http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/some-questions-about-fazotrons-aesa-are.html?m=1

    According to the small talk, the Zhuk-AE technically can detect at 250km with 680 or so modules. He stated that they greatly underplay the performance charactoristics. He also said the problem is that the radars modules are meant to transmit at 5mw per module but only do so at 3-3.5mw, and is a powerplant issue.

    Yes I read that before
    That was the goal back in 2009 as I mentioned before
    But what we have seen as a fact in 2015 is totally different
    I think their was difficulties in practical side


    The one used in MMRCA had a range of up to 130 Km (and Indians even said it shows less than that)
    The goal was to increase the range to exceed 200 Km . But what they offered to India in AERO INDIA 2015 was much less

    You disnt read it then. The phazotron chief stated it is due to powersupply and that they undervalue their stats.

    He explain me, that initially figured 120 km detection range – is highly downplayed, and reflect the real capability of the radar in very initial stage of work, already overcome. According to him, the planned capability of standard flying target detection for Zhuk-AE (with 680 emitting units) is 250 km, and he is in no doubt to achieve it.

    So he is stating they already outpassed that performance with 680 t/r modules at that time. If this is the case, then at 900+ t/r modules, should be much more. But we need to figure too that they are not running at 5w but at 3-3.5w and thus could greatly depreciate performance. If the other one is correct, that means they didnt solve the initial issue of the wattage issue and just added more t/r modules, which could be running at even lower output as adding more on will stress the powersupply.

    Edit: you say indians confirmed, but that was rumor mill that phazotron denied. Shouldnt read too much into that indian forum...

    house200888

    Posts : 24
    Points : 25
    Join date : 2015-03-11

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 5:16 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    house200888 wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:House, from what you linked me, I checked out the site and found this: http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/some-questions-about-fazotrons-aesa-are.html?m=1

    According to the small talk, the Zhuk-AE technically can detect at 250km with 680 or so modules. He stated that they greatly underplay the performance charactoristics. He also said the problem is that the radars modules are meant to transmit at 5mw per module but only do so at 3-3.5mw, and is a powerplant issue.

    Yes I read that before
    That was the goal back in 2009 as I mentioned before
    But what we have seen as a fact in 2015 is totally different
    I think their was difficulties in practical side


    The one used in MMRCA had a range of up to 130 Km (and Indians even said it shows less than that)
    The goal was to increase the range to exceed 200 Km . But what they offered to India in AERO INDIA 2015 was much less

    You disnt read it then. The phazotron chief stated it is due to powersupply and that they undervalue their stats.

    He explain me, that initially figured 120 km detection range – is highly downplayed, and reflect the real capability of the radar in very initial stage of work, already overcome. According to him, the planned capability of standard flying target detection for Zhuk-AE (with 680 emitting units) is 250 km, and he is in no doubt to achieve it.

    Edit: you say indians confirmed, but that was rumor mill that phazotron denied. Shouldnt read too much into that indian forum...

    No I really read it before
    Actually until I saw that pic from AERO INDIA I  always was convinced that the range of FGA-35 is more than 200 km relying on this interview and another link that said back then nearly the same
    even WIKI say nearly the same

    But that PIC is official and up to date


    Last edited by house200888 on Tue May 26, 2015 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    medo

    Posts : 3193
    Points : 3283
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  medo on Tue May 26, 2015 5:18 pm

    sepheronx wrote:
    house200888 wrote:
    And Russian N036 AESA has around 400km range (its AESA based off of Irbis-e at around 1500t/r modules.

    Absolutely it is a great radar benefiting from big Sukhoi noses and power
    But I am talking about FGA-35

    Rafale isnt even equipped with AESA yet and we dont really know. APG-80 is roughly less than 160km with similar diamaters to MiG-29 radar.

    No Rafale is using its AESA radar for 2-3 years now . The current standard of the Rafale is called F3.4 (to be F3R in 2018)

    APG-80 has a range of up to 120 Km for 1m2 target . Which means it is much more than 160 Km for 5m2 target
    http://igorrgroup.blogspot.in/2009/08/aesa-radars-for-fighters-brief-review.html


    The AESA FGA radar with over 1000 t/r modules is still undergoing tests, so lets see what they come up with. Test of MiG-35 in India had roughly a little over 600 t/r modules with similar performances listed as the one with 900 so it could be some other issue.

    The one used in MMRCA had a range of up to 130 Km (and Indians even said it shows less than that)
    The goal was to increase the range to exceed 200 Km . But what they offered to India in AERO INDIA 2015 was much less


    N036 has nothing to do with size when it carries the same amount of T/R modules as what you are saying as Captor-E, yet has greater range.

    I dont know where they get that 1M^2 figures from because other sites list 3 - 5 m^2. Also, look at the amount of T/R modules mentioned too.

    Not saying it is wrong, it could be right, but I checked out the companies websites and couldnt find official data.

    It's not only about the number of T/R modules, but also about peak power of radar. As N036 is developed from Irbis radar, so we could assume it will have the same 20 kW peak power as Irbis and AN/APG-77 and same caracteristics with the range around 400 km as Irbis and AN/APG-77 have. Irbis is PESA radar, but have same capabilities as AN/APG-77 AESA radar, because they are the same powerful.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian PESA and AESA Radars

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 pm