Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Question Thread: Soviet Military Equipment

Svyatoslavich

Re: Question Thread: Soviet Military Equipment

Post  Svyatoslavich on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I think I read in one of Yefim Gordon's book (can't remember which) that nose art was tolerated in some extent in WWII, but forbidden afterwards, can't remember the justification either. The only few which were allowed were those in training units, like the MiG-23, 25 and 29 in Turkmenistan which spotted big shark mouths and other markings, and this was allowed only because, as these were "agressor" fighters, it thus served to distinguish the "Soviet" ones.
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:23 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:I think I read in one of Yefim Gordon's book (can't remember which) that nose art was tolerated in some extent in WWII, but forbidden afterwards, can't remember the justification either. The only few which were allowed were those in training units, like the MiG-23, 25 and 29 in Turkmenistan which spotted big shark mouths and other markings, and this was allowed only because, as these were "agressor" fighters, it thus served to distinguish the "Soviet" ones.
    So the reason for this ban remains a mystery?
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

I have seen no evidence there was a ban.

US Army vehicles are not painted with artwork either... is that banned?

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 am

I imagine it is not a ban, but something cultural: every armed force in the world has a code of discipline and projected image and Soviet/Russian army probably consider this to be foraneous to their traditions. In the 90's there was a boom of artwork on aircraft, with units painting them as they wished, now it is much more standardized with some few and usually discreet art (Tu-160 bombers are named after pilots and aviation engineers, Tu-95MS are named after cities, MiG-29 based in Armenia have been christened with the name of Orthodox saints and spot a modest noseart). But like I said, training and "agressor" units have more visible and flamoyant paintings, exactly so that their aircraft can be more visibly distinct in combat.
    mangame5

Soviet shell casing identification

Post  mangame5 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello!
    I've had a pretty hard time identifying this shell casing that has been sitting around the house for quite a while. (We didn't even know what it was until it was cleaned up. For years it was used as an ashtray.)
    The tube itself has a diameter of about 82mm, which I think means that the projectile was of the 76.2 mm caliber.
    There are a few markings on the bottom. Sadly, they're not 100% clear, having suffered from some wear and tear across the years.
    Here are a few pictures:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I have found sites with various tables showing and explaining markings and such, but I couldn't put the clues together properly.
    What I have noticed is that the у is slightly distanced from the дk, which might be some affix or something.
    Hope someone can clear things up for me
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:20 pm

mangame5 wrote:Hello!
    I've had a pretty hard time identifying this shell casing that has been sitting around the house for quite a while. (We didn't even know what it was until it was cleaned up. For years it was used as an ashtray.)
    The tube itself has a diameter of about 82mm, which I think means that the projectile was of the 76.2 mm caliber.
    There are a few markings on the bottom. Sadly, they're not 100% clear, having suffered from some wear and tear across the years.
    Here are a few pictures:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I have found sites with various tables showing and explaining markings and such, but I couldn't put the clues together properly.
    What I have noticed is that the у is slightly distanced from the дk, which might be some affix or something.
    Hope someone can clear things up for me

I have no ideas as to the meanings of the markings, all I can only tell you that the font looks pretty old-school. Don't think they used that one any later than the 50s or so. And the standardization and quality of the markings themselves also lend themselves to the conclusion that the shell is from the earlier Soviet period rather than the later period; otherwise you wouldn't have had any trouble deciphering it.
    Don't think you had any Soviet munitions in Romania before WW2 so I'd say the shell is from the WW2 or very early Cold War era.

EDIT: Also I just found this; an inert ZiS-3 76.2mm round, manufactured 1950. The bottom looks very similar to your one.
    http://www.warstuff.com/Inert-Russian-Inert-762mm-Field-Gun-Arrow-Head-A-i1555755.htm

Looks like it fetches a nice price too. Shame you don't have the rest of the round Twisted Evil
    mangame5

Post  mangame5 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Thank you for your input.
    The markings really are confusing. They also seem to be placed at fairly random spots. (Or some have been added after production)
    I could only find markings that are either similar, present yet accompanied by others, or unclear:
    "БK" -  HEAT fin stabilized
    "Ж" - Sintered iron rotating band
    "M" - Copper liner (For HEAT)/Picric acid ammunition filler
    "Д" - Smoke

In the last picture, that 5-1 seems to have been something like 1945-1xxx, most likely.
    Zero clue on that encircled T3

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm