Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

New Automatic ΑΑ 57mm gun development

GarryB

Re: New Automatic ΑΑ 57mm gun development

Post  GarryB on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 am

Just at a glance I would say the pod on top of the turret is the commanders 360 degree optics system and the larger pod at the turret front is the equivalent EO pod for the gunner.

Not sure what the thing on the side of the turret is, or that flat plate thing... it could be the equivalent of the portable radars used by Soviet and Russian infantry, which would be interesting in terms of effective range for targets... probably a bit short ranged to detect small UAVs at more than 3km or so.

I would expect with modern EO systems it could detect targets easily out to about 10km, which should be plenty for the calibre.

A MMW radar related to those fitted to new attack helos might have been useful for night and all weather use though.... but probably not cheap.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

kopyo-21

Post  kopyo-21 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 am

I think it should have both radar & EO to support each other and to deal with any kind of targets such as low IR signature targets, low RCS targets, etc. in any condition of ECM in battlefield. The good thing is we see it has 2 separated EO systems for commander and weaponer.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 am

I agree that radar compliments EO systems, and the idea of having separate EO systems for commander and gunner is excellent in the sense that the commander can be searching for targets and prioritising while the gunner uses their optics presumably with better zoom but narrower field of view to engage specific targets as directed by the commander... much like a MBT.

However the last article I read regarding the new 57mm gun armed SPAAG for the Russian Military seemed to suggest no radar, which would reduce costs and emissions, though as we agree reducing performance too.

If it is linked to the network it should be able to receive data and target information from other platforms however and if it is operating with TOR or Pantsir-SM then they would have rather powerful and effective radars already so it would be a bit redundant also having them on the gun vehicles.

The laser ranging system on the MiG-29SMT is effective to 15km against air targets which should be plenty for a ground based vehicle to engage targets to 6-8km range effectively.

This is more of an anti swarm vehicle attached to SAM sites than a general vehicle to operate in Army units in my opinion.

In GDs post below he quotes:

A special feature of the complex is its low radio visibility, achieved through the use of passive means of reconnaissance, detection and tracking of air targets.

The SA-13 didn't have radar as such but had all sorts of radar antenna boxes that could detect the radar on enemy aircraft including ground mapping radar and terrain avoidance radar and of course low power altitude sensing radar. These sensors were enough to give the SA-13 system a bearing to look for incoming threats...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 am