Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

BMP-1/BMP-2 Upgrades and Variants

0nillie0
    Private
    Private

Re: BMP-1/BMP-2 Upgrades and Variants

Post  0nillie0 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:08 pm

GarryB wrote:Why not apply the Berezhok upgrade?

You can't remove the turret and replace it with a RWS... where would the commander and gunner sit?

Its main purpose is troop transport... let it continue to do that...

I agree on that. My personal opinion on the matter is that with the advances in computerized FCS and digital battlefield monitoring systems, a personnel carrier shouldn't require both a gunner and a commander. I think the commander can fulfill both roles from a single station, which would create additional space for a fully equipped dismount. As seen in the picture below, the BMP-2 can be converted for remote weapon station integration, while still maintaining a fairly large area available for dismounts. However, i do understand that there is a difference in doctrine and tradition between East and West, and that such as a drastic modification of the vehicle hull comes at a cost and may not be as efficient in practice.

Inside of the BMP-2 upgraded by Excalibur Army : (note the commander and gunner stations at the front. The reconfigured hull reduces the transport capacity to just 6 fully equipped dismounts).

With Kornets and RPG-28s about no western IFV is safe either...

Yes this is true, and it is exactly the reason why Berezhok is so lethal. But this should not stop Russia from trying to improve the protection of its BMP-2 crews either. This can be done in a number of ways
    - Add active protection suite used in Kurganets/T-15
    - Add new addon armor used in Kurganets/T-15
    - Add addon armor kits already developed for previous iterations of the BMP-2M
    - Reconfigure the chassis so that there is no ammunition near the crew, and there are safer ways to exit the vehicle (replace the rear doors). IMHO is the main problem of the Berezhok upgrade. Ammo remains near crew, while side and rear armor remain equally vulnerable.  

Or a combination of the above.

Taking in to account doctrine and cost efficiency, the best way to go would probably be to add active protection in combination with increased firepower of the Berezhok. So in conclusion, i agree to that.
    But i also look at other possibilities.

Edit*
    One other issue i have with Berezhok is the fixed grenade launcher. I rather wish they could integrate a commander sight similar to that on the T-14 and T-90MS, which is combined with a weapon station. Imho the grenade launcher is more efficient if it can operate independently from the turret. But this off course is wishful thinking.
    VladimirSahin
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  VladimirSahin on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:34 am

So the upgraded BMPs are the BMP-2M variant (berezhok turret)??
    AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 am

GarryB wrote:
    Looks like the "Berezhok" upgrade, not really wise to keep working on BMP-2s anymore since Kurganets is on the way, but still a good choice for exports to upgrade to, although BMP-3s would probly be a better investment for them.

Upgrading the enormous existing fleet of vehicles makes rather more sense than saving money and spending it on the new vehicles to trickle into service in a year or twos time.

It is a way to get existing forces used to more advanced and capable systems and also to get work for companies that will soon be producing new equipment for the new vehicles too.

Looks like i was dead wrong, that's not the Berezhok upgrade, not sure what 2M variant that is, Vanilla 2M+cage/side armor?? scratch

Well if they can get them upgraded at a good pace, than sure.

kopyo-21
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  kopyo-21 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 am

AlfaT8 wrote:
    GarryB wrote:
    Looks like the "Berezhok" upgrade, not really wise to keep working on BMP-2s anymore since Kurganets is on the way, but still a good choice for exports to upgrade to, although BMP-3s would probly be a better investment for them.

Upgrading the enormous existing fleet of vehicles makes rather more sense than saving money and spending it on the new vehicles to trickle into service in a year or twos time.

It is a way to get existing forces used to more advanced and capable systems and also to get work for companies that will soon be producing new equipment for the new vehicles too.

Looks like i was dead wrong, that's not the Berezhok upgrade, not sure what 2M variant that is, Vanilla 2M+cage/side armor?? scratch

Well if they can get them upgraded at a good pace, than sure.
    BMP-2M: three projects with the same name:

1. Joined project with BMP-3 turret (100mm combined 30mm gun)
    2. Tula "Berezhok" upgrade with 30mm 2A42 gun, Ags-30 30mm grenade and Kornet laser beam riding ATGM
    3. Kurgansky "Brezhok" upgrade with embodiment, 30mm 2A42 gun and Ataka radio guided ATGM

https://topwar.ru/21909-bmp-2m-tri-proekta-s-odnim-imenem.html

Last edited by kopyo-21 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Book.
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  Book. on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 am

Ru do the Moderna. Berezhok
    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2517253.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 am