Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian VSHORADS Thread

Hole
    Hole

Russian VSHORADS Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Russian VSHORADS Thread

Post  Hole on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 am

Sosna will replace Strela-10.

Gibka-S will replace some of the hand-held Iglas and Verbas. The rest will be transported by Taifun-PVO.

The ZU-23 will stay. Forever! Very Happy It is a last resort weapon. And just to versatile, as GarryB said.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am

GarryB wrote:I suspect the Sosna will be replacing most twin 23mm towed mounts, though I think they will hang on to them after seeing first hand how useful such weapons are in Syria... in Afghanistan the Soviets used twin barrel 23mm cannon mounts as base protection, they certainly were valuable in that war...

i agree the Zu-23-2 has been very handy i Syria but that was as a direct fire role. I have never seen the ZOM series in any configuration strela-2, igla, or strela 10, just the radar controlled gun version. I wasnt sure if this was in service or if it was just export only. I havent seen strelets in service either. I remember seeing greek BMP-1 having their turrets removed and replaced with zu-23-2 although i think they could have done a better job and made a enclosed turret
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Hole wrote:Sosna will replace Strela-10.

Gibka-S will replace some of the hand-held Iglas and Verbas. The rest will be transported by Taifun-PVO.

The ZU-23 will stay. Forever! Very Happy  It is a last resort weapon. And just to versatile, as GarryB said.

i think the Zu-23-2 is a great weapon and although its mostly used as a direct fire role now. SOSNA i knew was replacing strela 10. just not heard any planned orders. And as i said i havent seen strelets or and ZOM series in service with Russia. which made me think is it export only.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm

In afghanistan in the 80s and other wars since the VDV in particular liked to lash twin 23mm cannon to trucks and APCs as direct fire mobile fire support, but I suspect they might be interested in upgrading... once the Shilkas are gone from service there will only be the twin 23mm towed guns firing that powerful round... it is a 23 x 152mm round with high velocity... the other weapons in 23mm calibre are the 23mm guns on the new model Hinds with chin turrets mounting twin barrel 23mm cannon but that gun is the same as the twin 23mm gun of the MiG-23 and MiG-21 and the six barrel gatling of the MiG-31 and Su-24 and fires a much lower velocity heavy shell that is 23x115mm. This enables it to be used at high rates of fire with a potent effect on target with its HE charge without enormous recoil or taking up too much space on the platform.

A while back they showed a towed mount with an enclosed cabin and four SOSNA missiles ready to fire and a single twin barrel 2A38M cannon from a Tunguska (which uses two of these guns). Longer range, 2,500 rpm so comparable rate of fire to the twin 23mm mount but heavier projectile and already in use on Havoc and Hokum and Hind helicopters as well as Tunguska and Pantsir as well as BTR-82A APCs, 30mm RWS for vehicles, and of course BMP-2 and 3.

They would retain a gun mount but it would use standard ammo already widely used and have better performance.

So a ZU-30-1 technically.

Heavy calibre guns are a useful way of stopping an attack before it fully gets going... the Americans knew that from Vietnam with Vulcans in the Jungle...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 am