Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Share
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9991
    Points : 10481
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  George1 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:58 pm

    Nuclear-powered cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov" will join Navy at the turn of the 2020s

    MOSCOW, October 23 - RIA Novosti. The nuclear-powered missile cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov" at the turn of the 2020s will replace the flagship of the Northern Fleet, "Peter the Great", which in turn will go to repair, said Friday the TV channel "Russia-24", Deputy Chief of the Russian Navy, Vice-Admiral Victor Bursuc.


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9991
    Points : 10481
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  George1 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 am

    Universal vertical launchers ЗС-14 for the modernization of the cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov"

    The official website of procurement of "PO" Sevmash "contains information on the conclusion of the agreement with JSC" KB SM "(St. Petersburg, is a concern of "Almaz-Antey") for the manufacture and supply of 10 universal vertical launchers [UVLM] ЗС-14-11442М, for the modernization of heavy nuclear missile cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov" Project 11442.

    Production will be carried out on the basis of terms of reference "Modification UVLM 3C-14-22350 complexes 3K-14, 9K, 3M55, 3K-22 with respect to the order of 11442M" [3K14 - universal shipboard firing system (UKSK) "Calibre", 3M55 - anti-ship missiles "Onyx" , 3K22 - probably with antiship missile system / hypersonic (?) rocket "Zircon"].
    One UVLM unit is designed for eight rocket places, so after upgrading the cruiser will carry 80 anti-ship missiles, as previously reported Navy Commander Chirkov. Before upgrading anti-ship missile armament of the ship involved "Granit" (20 rockets on a launcher).

    The estimated price of the contract is defined in the 2559 mln.Τhe term of the contract is set to end ιν 2018. Enforcement will be carried out in stages. At the first phase, will be made one deliverable sample UVLM. In accordance with the decision, it will be subjected to standard tests, the first stage of which is carried out at the booth of the manufacturer (standard factory testing). After obtaining positive results of the design documentation UVLM ЗС-14-11442M will be assigned letter "O".

    In the second phase will be produced nine UVLM, scheduled on a monthly basis to produce one with the completion of the installation phase by May 2017. Cost of production - 2 217 million.

    The third phase will be issued technological equipment necessary for commissioning works at UVLM and the second phase of a type test sample UVLM first deliverable and deliverable set of sample loading means [SPC]. It includes the 3M-54T ORM [dimensions and weight layout antiship missiles 3M-54T "Caliber"] 3M55GMM [overall and a massive mock anti-ship missile 3M55 "Onyx"] 3M22GMM [overall and a massive mock anti-ship missile 3M22 "Zircon"] . Performance time for Phase 3 - December 2016, Price - 78 million rubles.

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1544307.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5373
    Points : 5418
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Militarov on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:23 pm

    George1 wrote:Universal vertical launchers ЗС-14 for the modernization of the cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov"

       The official website of procurement of "PO" Sevmash "contains information on the conclusion of the agreement with JSC" KB SM "(St. Petersburg, is a concern of "Almaz-Antey") for the manufacture and supply of 10 universal vertical launchers [UVLM] ЗС-14-11442М,  for the modernization of heavy nuclear missile cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov" Project 11442.

       Production will be carried out on the basis of terms of reference "Modification UVLM 3C-14-22350 complexes 3K-14, 9K, 3M55, 3K-22 with respect to the order of 11442M" [3K14 - universal shipboard firing system (UKSK) "Calibre", 3M55 - anti-ship missiles "Onyx" , 3K22 - probably with antiship missile system / hypersonic (?) rocket "Zircon"].
    One UVLM unit is designed for eight rocket places, so after upgrading the cruiser will carry 80 anti-ship missiles, as previously reported Navy Commander Chirkov. Before upgrading anti-ship missile armament of the ship involved "Granit" (20 rockets on a launcher).

    The estimated price of the contract is defined in the 2559 mln.Τhe term of the contract is set to end ιν 2018. Enforcement will be carried out in stages. At the first phase, will be made one deliverable sample UVLM. In accordance with the decision, it will be subjected to standard tests, the first stage of which is carried out at the booth of the manufacturer (standard factory testing). After obtaining positive results of the design documentation UVLM ЗС-14-11442M will be assigned letter "O".

    In the second phase will be produced nine UVLM, scheduled on a monthly basis to produce one with the completion of the installation phase by May 2017. Cost of production - 2 217 million.

    The third phase will be issued technological equipment necessary for commissioning works at UVLM and the second phase of a type test sample UVLM first deliverable and deliverable set of sample loading means [SPC]. It includes the 3M-54T ORM [dimensions and weight layout antiship missiles 3M-54T "Caliber"] 3M55GMM [overall and a massive mock anti-ship missile 3M55 "Onyx"] 3M22GMM [overall and a massive mock anti-ship missile 3M22 "Zircon"] . Performance time for Phase 3 - December 2016, Price - 78 million rubles.

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1544307.html

    This sounds good, versatility will be increased greatly.
    avatar
    Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1934
    Points : 2101
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Cyberspec on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:06 am

    Great news...

    Some more talk about the Nakhimov receiving Zircon hypersonic missiles...the missile is planned to be finished around 2020....it would be a pity if these ships don't receive the S-500

    http://warfiles.ru/show-98495-krylatye-rakety-cirkon-glavnaya-sila-kreyserov-1144.html
    avatar
    Kimppis
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 246
    Points : 252
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Kimppis on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:43 pm

    Wait... So Nakhimov has been delayed?
    avatar
    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5373
    Points : 5418
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Militarov on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 pm

    Kimppis wrote:Wait... So Nakhimov has been delayed?

    For about one year it seems.
    avatar
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4372
    Points : 4480
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:18 pm


    Can anyone elaborate?

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1573597.html
    avatar
    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7263
    Points : 7563
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  sepheronx on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Can anyone elaborate?

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1573597.html

    So the ship is going to have Fort-M which is a derivative of the S-300 for the navy.  So it will have the same SAM system as the Peter the Great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_battlecruiser_Pyotr_Velikiy

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_(missile)#FM
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15997
    Points : 16652
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  GarryB on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:45 am

    It talks about launchers front and rear for Fort-M... I wonder if that means they will have more launchers ready to fire?

    I was hoping they would go for a more elaborate new vertical launcher upgrade with fixed vertical tubes like Redut. It seems they are going with the older launcher with multi missile revovling vertical launch systems with 8 or so missiles for each hatch... rather more complicated IMHO.

    Instead of which a fixed grid of launch tubes where the missiles remain fixed and are not moved into alignment with launch hatches is simpler and a more efficient use of internal space.

    The Fort-M is a similar size to the large S-400 missiles so in terms of upgrading to the new missiles it would be much cheaper and simpler.

    The late model Fort-M has a range of 250km and active radar homing so is a potent enough SAM for the role.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2998
    Points : 3030
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  max steel on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:20 pm

    Largest missile cruiser to hold hypersonic missiles



    avatar
    AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1287
    Points : 1294
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  AlfaT8 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:29 pm

    max steel wrote:Largest missile cruiser to hold hypersonic missiles

    Zircium, already?? Suspect
    avatar
    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2177
    Points : 2215
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  franco on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:30 pm

    max steel wrote:Largest missile cruiser to hold hypersonic missiles




    80 cruise missiles of various types and 96 Fort-M... impressive thumbsup
    avatar
    Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1934
    Points : 2101
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Cyberspec on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:07 pm

    franco wrote:80 cruise missiles of various types and 96 Fort-M... impressive  thumbsup

    Floating 'Death Star' Smile

    But I doubt it will be equipped with the Zircon straight away...probably some time post 2020

    Tyloe
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 34
    Points : 33
    Join date : 2015-02-24

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Tyloe on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:21 am






    Pics from IMDS2015 of possible application of Zaslon MF AESA radar for upgrading the Kirovs.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15997
    Points : 16652
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  GarryB on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:22 am

    Regarding Zircon it is the replacement missile for Onyx and will be designed to fit in the standard UKSK vertical launch system... so presumably when it is ready for service every new Russian vessel and vessel upgraded with UKSK tubes will be able to carry and use it... from corvette to carrier...

    I would assume in addition to replacing Onyx with a hypersonic missile they will also likely upgrade Kalibr with a longer ranged model too.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Firebird
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

    Posts : 932
    Points : 964
    Join date : 2011-10-14

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Firebird on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:45 pm

    Is that pic of an upgraded Kirov class?
    Or is it some concept art for an enlarged Leader class cruiser/similar?

    There seems to be quite a lot of changes vis a vis the current Kirovs.

    Also, I wonder if a Kirov could be "stealthified"?

    Finally, I wonder what long term plans they have for the Kirov hulls.
    Maybe ICMB or intercontinental cruise missile carrying? Maybe they could hold the huge generators for laser defence and EM guns? Maybe as a launch base for smaller satellites?

    Tyloe
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 34
    Points : 33
    Join date : 2015-02-24

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Tyloe on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:06 am

    Firebird wrote:Is that pic of an upgraded Kirov class?
    Or is it some concept art for an enlarged Leader class cruiser/similar?

    There seems to be quite a lot of changes vis a vis the current Kirovs.

    Also, I wonder if a Kirov could be "stealthified"?

    Finally, I wonder what long term plans they have for the Kirov hulls.
    Maybe ICMB or intercontinental cruise missile carrying? Maybe they could hold the huge generators for laser defence and EM guns? Maybe as a launch base for smaller satellites?

    The pictures were for marketing and a rough concept of how Zaslon's naval radar can applied in various systems. Such as being included in the modernisation program for Nakhimov and Pyotr Velikiy and other naval ship projects. No news about a contract being awarded to Zaslon for possible new radar systems for the kirovs.. yet.

    Modern phased arrays would generate a much higher quality search and targeting over what they have now, and  would drastically help with target discrimination and less susceptible to jamming if it works with other radar systems operating at different bands. Like the Poliment 5P-20K AESA on the Gorshkov-class frigate, they also have a much higher surface and air search volume, and can track many times more targets, and detect them at longer range, than Kirov's current systems. So it would make sense if the navy was looking to upgrade the electron systems to work with new missile systems as well, and companies like Zaslon, want a piece of the pie.


    As for stealth re-construction of Kirov's superstructure, it's probably unlikely since the main focus of the refit and upgrades of Nakhimov are its armament. Also funds.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15997
    Points : 16652
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  GarryB on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:47 am

    The kirov class vessels were already considered rather stealthy in terms of RCS.

    I remember a british naval professional once said that when tracking a Kirov the radar return was much smaller than would be expected from such a large vessel and that it was the size of the wake that usually identified the vessel as being a Kirov as opposed to being a much smaller vessel.

    This was mainly due to the internal nature of all the primary weapons.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Big_Gazza
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Posts : 621
    Points : 643
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Big_Gazza on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 am

    Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumour that the hull and reactor/propulsion of the Ural SSV-33 intelligence ship (a Pr 1144 hull) is being preserved rather than scrapped? "Recent" photos of the hulk show the superstructures almost completely removed, but the hull appears intact.

    Could the Russian military be mothballing the Ural with a mind to rebuilding her in the future as a Kirov Mk 2?
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1501
    Points : 1539
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:58 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:Does anyone know if there is truth to the rumour that the hull and reactor/propulsion of the Ural SSV-33 intelligence ship (a Pr 1144 hull) is being preserved rather than scrapped?  "Recent" photos of the hulk show the superstructures almost completely removed, but the hull appears intact.

    Could the Russian military be mothballing the Ural with a mind to rebuilding her in the future as a Kirov Mk 2?

    Orr nuclear sysatem-6 drones mother ship Smile More seriously building a warship on her IMHO is no good idea costs can be prohibitively high comparing to results.

    Maybe something like EW/ Railgun / Laser ship?
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9991
    Points : 10481
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  George1 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:34 am

    Currently, the company "Sevmash" is undergoing renovation and modernization of heavy nuclear missile cruiser "Admiral Nakhimov", work on it is scheduled for completion in 2018. repair of the cruiser "Peter the Great" will be held in 2019.

    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=3&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20160208/1371310443.html&usg=ALkJrhis_3Bbb-UmznllRfuoVCYoUzS3mA


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    zardof
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 15
    Points : 21
    Join date : 2016-01-04
    Age : 58
    Location : France

    Kirov Admiral Lazaref

    Post  zardof on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:10 pm

    I check (https://maps.yandex.ru) and Nuclear Cruiser Admiral Lazarev left recently dry dock in Dunay for Bukhta Abrek bay after basic repair and paint.
    I wish he will go soon for overhault like Admiral Nakhimov.  Very Happy
    Not far from him is Ivan Rogov BDK A Nikolayev .... another goog candidate for overhault after Mistral collapse and BDC Ivan Green delays.
    avatar
    Isos
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 587
    Points : 591
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Isos on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:47 pm

    Will the upgraded kirov have still 800 people on board or less (by automatisation like they did on alpha subs)?
    avatar
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1949
    Points : 2072
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 am

    Considering the sophistication of this class and the large number of sophisticated systems that it incorporates, its complement of 700-800 is already a tiny complement and is a result of extreme automation.

    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5997
    Points : 6399
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Austin on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:20 am

    Can some one tell me what is the final weapons configuration for upgraded Nakhimov if its known officially ?

    Like number and types of SAM , SSM , CIWS , Torpedoes etc

    Sponsored content

    Re: Upgraded Kirov class: Project 11442 [Admiral Nakhimov]

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri May 26, 2017 5:40 am