Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Space Anti-satellite systems

Viktor

Re: Russian Space Anti-satellite systems

Post  Viktor on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Russian Federation is testing something big in space ....  thumbsup  thumbsup

I would go for the ASAT.

Kosmos-2499: Is it a spy or an assassin... or both?
    kvs

Post  kvs on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Viktor wrote:Russian Federation is testing something big in space ....  thumbsup  thumbsup

I would go for the ASAT.

They just have to demonstrate to the chauvinist moron leadership of NATO that they have the ability for ASAT.
    I recall all of the awe at the fact that China took out a satellite with a missile (leaving yet more debris hazard in
    LEO) and I got the impression that people actually thought Russia could not do the same.   The Bulava, RS-24 and
    other launches are not just for testing, they are to remind Russia's foaming at the mouth enemies that Russia has
    the capacity to inflict serious harm to them and their ambitions.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:32 pm

kvs wrote:
    Viktor wrote:Russian Federation is testing something big in space ....  thumbsup  thumbsup

I would go for the ASAT.

They just have to demonstrate to the chauvinist moron leadership of NATO that they have the ability for ASAT.
    I recall all of the awe at the fact that China took out a satellite with a missile (leaving yet more debris hazard in
    LEO) and I got the impression that people actually thought Russia could not do the same.   The Bulava, RS-24 and
    other launches are not just for testing, they are to remind Russia's foaming at the mouth enemies that Russia has
    the capacity to inflict serious harm to them and their ambitions.

I remember actually reading somewhere that Russia was the primarily reason why China has that capability in the first place.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:27 pm

I would go for the ASAT.

I have no clue to be honest... Space-based ASAT systems have never really been attempted before, and one now would be quite the shocker (more so to the West).
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Russia, more specifically USSR had asat capabilities. But where missiles attached to MiG-31's. What China did is nothing amazing as it was a shotgun effect from a large missile.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Mike E wrote:

I would go for the ASAT.

I have no clue to be honest... Space-based ASAT systems have never really been attempted before, and one now would be quite the shocker (more so to the West).

Take another guess Very Happy

LINK
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Viktor wrote:
    Mike E wrote:

I would go for the ASAT.

Take another guess  Very Happy

LINK
    Completely forgot about that one...  Embarassed But it was never actually used in space, was it?

Seph, that is like how the US used to do it before the SM-3 (via plane which launches an ASAT missile).

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Major problem with the China way of intercepting satellites is that US have Thousands of them in Orbit.. So China will go bankrupt after the 20-30 rocket launched to intercept one satellite each. The real practical way to shut down enemy satellites in case of a major war.. is militarization of space.. to have battle stations in space with satellites armed with hundreds of mini missiles each that can intercept satellites.. the advantage in space for such system is the no gravity ,significantly help the design of any interceptor ,because they dont require powerful boosters to defeat stationary targets in orbit..Any cheap rocket grenade with fragmentation explosives will be enough to neutralize any satellite .
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    Major problem with the China way of intercepting satellites is that US have Thousands of them in Orbit.. So China will go bankrupt after the 20-30 rocket launched to intercept one satellite each. The real practical way to shut down enemy satellites in case of a major war.. is militarization of space.. to have battle stations in space with satellites armed with hundreds of mini missiles each that can intercept satellites.. the advantage in space for such system is the no gravity ,significantly help the design of any interceptor ,because they dont require powerful boosters to defeat stationary targets in orbit..Any cheap rocket grenade with fragmentation explosives will be enough to neutralize any satellite .

US has about 250 satellites and thats it and there is no need to shoot down all of them to criple US abilities to wage war.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Viktor wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

US has about 250 satellites and thats it and there is no need to shoot down all of them to criple US abilities to wage war.
    Yep, plus only a select few of those satellites are military, and even less are reconnaissance... 

China would go bankrupt? They probably already have hundreds of these missiles, and I wouldn't be surprised if they (or Russia for that matter) could destroy them via technology. 

Battle is space would be a complete disaster, ever heard of the Kessler effect? The ship that would fire the missile would be completely destroyed within hours unless it de-orbits.

What is up with your recent posts?
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Pentagon Alarmed With Russia’s Military Satellite 'Maneuvering Too Much'

The maneuverability of Russia’s Cosmos-2504 military satellite launched on March 31 from the Plesetsk test site has alarmed the US Air Force, which thinks it may potentially be an “on-orbit anti-satellite weapon.”
    “A Russian military satellite launched in March has made at least 11 close approaches to the rocket upper stage that released it into orbit,” SpaceNews website quotes a spokesman for the US Air Force as saying.

“Such maneuvering capability is consistent with, but not necessarily indicative of, an on-orbit anti-satellite weapon,” he added.

Strategic Command’s Joint Space Operations Center (JFCC) at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California is closely watching the satellite, which, it claims, “in at least one case appeared to have nudged the upper stage to a higher orbit “
    Cosmos 2504 was launched along with three communications satellites aboard a Rockot vehicle with a Briz-KM booster stage from Russia’s Plesetsk Cosmodrome on March 31.
    Since then JFCC has been “keeping a close eye” on the satellite. It says on one occasion the satellite approached an unidentified piece of orbital debris. However It has not approached any active satellites.

kvs

Post  kvs on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:20 am

Good stuff. Let the chauvinist western "planners" stain their underwear. It's some sort of western disease to always dismiss Russia's
    technological capacity and its military capacity. I have been reading and watching this inane propaganda since the 1970s and it clearly has a long
    history.

It would have been a nice world if after 1991, the west reached out to Russia and engaged it fairly. Instead it wallowed in
    triumphalist masturbation and expected Russia to get on its knees and lick its boots. You reap what you sow, numbskulls!
    GarryB

Russian Space Anti-satellite systems

Post  GarryB on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am

If the US wants to ban anti satellite systems I am sure the Russians would sign on the dotted line... the problem is that the US wants to have its own anti satellite systems and ABM systems but it doesn't want anyone else to have them... shame it wont work out for them...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm