Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+69
OminousSpudd
zorobabel
BKP
PapaDragon
calm
TheArmenian
KomissarBojanchev
Benya
d_taddei2
franco
kvs
JohninMK
eehnie
miketheterrible
ATLASCUB
Big_Gazza
MMBR
ultimatewarrior
0nillie0
crod
par far
starman
Airman
AbdulhamidtheSecond
ali.a.r
arpakola
Walther von Oldenburg
airstrike
Mindstorm
RTN
Zastel
George1
Grazneyar
VARGR198
KiloGolf
jhelb
Austin
Vann7
Visc
Azi
whir
higurashihougi
Teshub
Erk
max steel
AlfaT8
medo
Hannibal Barca
rambo54
Karl Haushofer
Kimppis
MilitaryAttractions
Firebird
onwiththewar
A Different Voice
VladimirSahin
Project Canada
storm333
The Ottoman
ult
Odin of Ossetia
Neutrality
Airbornewolf
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
auslander
Isos
cochiloco
KoTeMoRe
73 posters

Syrian War: News #12

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 Empty Re: Syrian War: News #12

Post  PapaDragon Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 pm

SAA getting hammered

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 C7tIg6EXkAEMblu
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 pm

The map is the same as two days ago. It looks like the jihadi breakthrough has stalled.

The NATO fake news propaganda chorus is making much of these "rebel" drives, but this ain't 2015 no more. The
    SAA is in a vastly better position. But people should not expect everything to be over in a few weeks.
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:25 am

Beardies claiming a shot on T-90 with TOW in Hama, but looks like T-72 to me...
    Either way, survives nicely.
    Isos
    Isos

Post  Isos Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:48 am

From 2013, T-72 suviving shots of rpg. Even without add-on armor it is still very well protected from the front. It would have been a very dangerous foe in the big steps of europe during cold war.

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Isos wrote:From 2013, T-72 suviving shots of rpg. Even without add-on armor it is still very well protected from the front. It would have been a very dangerous foe in the big steps of europe during cold war.

Nuclear armageddon aside, I am almost sorry Fulda gap never happened just so I could drink some Soviet tank-hater's tears... Cool
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 XQahLzi
    storm333
    storm333

Post  storm333 Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:49 pm

OminousSpudd wrote:Beardies claiming a shot on T-90 with TOW in Hama, but looks like T-72 to me...

Based on the topography, the atgm attack on infantry units seemed to be in the same area

Concentrate forces on a modern battlefield, especially without proper cover, expect them to be, detected and destroyed by long range weapons. This scenario keeps getting repeated over and over again with the SAA. I would have thought by now their tactics would have adapted to mitigate this attack by the terrorist.

So questions to those who have faced such a threat:

From a technical view point the missile in the above video travels at 240ms slower than the speed of sound in air of 340ms, for 14s. Wouldn't sound of atgm firing be audible and thus detected?

Additionally could a sentry detect visually the flare and smoke trails of the missile?

What other tactics could be employed for defeating the ATGM threat to infantry?
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:31 pm

storm333 wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:Beardies claiming a shot on T-90 with TOW in Hama, but looks like T-72 to me...

Based on the topography, the atgm attack on infantry units seemed to be in the same area

Concentrate forces on a modern battlefield, especially without proper cover, expect them to be, detected and destroyed  by long range weapons. This scenario keeps getting repeated over and over again with the SAA. I would have thought by now their tactics would have adapted to mitigate this attack by the terrorist.

From a technical view point the missile in the above video travels at 240ms slower than the speed of sound in air of 340ms, for 14s. Wouldn't sound of atgm firing be audible and thus detected?

Additionally could a sentry detect visually the flare and smoke trails of the missile?

as a former NATO Soldier familiar with the TOW-fammily of ATGM's myself:

No, ATGM's are not audible enough to be detected by the receiving party. with the Launch most of the sound is directed away from the enemy with the rocket engine igniting backwards. they also do not see the rocket's engine as it's in-flight. at best they see the launch flame exhaust in some cases if they happen to look in the right direction with optics. but outside of that for a soldier/sentry its like trying to spot something coming straight at you in an environment where you try to keep an 360 degree situational awareness. chances you see it flying at you are low.

the Tow or any ATGM in general is an very poor weapon to use against infantry. because of its shaped-charge warhead it focuses all its destructive energy into an narrow focused forward attack.
    im sure most know, but for those that do not a shaped-charge attack it is in layman's therms basically an copper-cone surrounded with explosives that when ignited results in an extremely hot stream of molten metal that is forced straight at the armor it's impacting.

So you could stand very close to an ATGM strike, but unless you take the missile to your chest odds are good you survive. there is little explosive force going outwards and no shrapnell from the missile itself. as its missile design is not intended to be anti-infantry, but anti-armor.

its more of an waste to use ATGM's on infantry, as they have almost zero effect. its an expensive waste of ordnance and you have a big chance of giving away your position after the enemy figures out its probable launch location after impact. it's command wire's connecting the missile to the launch unit do not incinerate upon impact. even during exercises they had a habit to keep hanging in fences and wash lines. giving a nice trail for the enemy to take a rough guess where it came from.

I was glad we got rid of TOW's at the time and went over to the Panzerfaust-3. it's practical, can be fired from indoors, defeats most armour, you can set its warhead to either Anti-infantry or Anti-Tank and can shoot an low-flying helicopter out of the sky if you want with its Dynarange computer.

but do not even get me started about the GILL we got as an medium to long range AT weapon in return. that's just over-hyped, over-priced Israeli garbage that can't even distinguish an shipping container from the desert surrounding it.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

Post  Neutrality Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:46 pm

These videos in where modern offensive weapons are measured against modern defensive/protective weapons are always interesting to watch. Very impressive from the T-90 and evidence that Russian arms manufacturers' marketing isn't bullshit.

Why are they not using those infrared decoys though?
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 pm

storm333 wrote:

Concentrate forces on a modern battlefield, especially without proper cover, expect them to be, detected and destroyed  by long range weapons. This scenario keeps getting repeated over and over again with the SAA. I would have thought by now their tactics would have adapted to mitigate this attack by the terrorist.

With the numbers you are giving (240 and 340), it would mean only 4 seconds of advantage. The sound would need 10 seconds to reach the distance that the missile advances in 14 seconds. And still the launch would be very weak to hear at 3360m combined with the own sound of the tank. The sound only would increase when the missile is very near, just a little before the impact.

The commented by the former NATO military sounds right to me.
    Odin of Ossetia
    Odin of Ossetia

Post  Odin of Ossetia Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:23 am

Airbornewolf wrote:
    storm333 wrote:

as a former NATO Soldier familiar with the TOW-fammily of ATGM's myself:

No, ATGM's are not audible enough to be detected by the receiving party. with the Launch most of the sound is directed away from the enemy with the rocket engine igniting backwards. they also do not see the rocket's engine as it's in-flight. at best they see the launch flame exhaust in some cases if they happen to look in the right direction with optics. but outside of that for a soldier/sentry its like trying to spot something coming straight at you in an environment where you try to keep an 360 degree situational awareness. chances you see it flying at you are low.

the Tow or any ATGM in general is an very poor weapon to use against infantry. because of its shaped-charge warhead it focuses all its destructive energy into an narrow focused forward attack.
    im sure most know, but for those that do not a shaped-charge attack it is in layman's therms basically an copper-cone surrounded with explosives that when ignited results in an extremely hot stream of molten metal that is forced straight at the armor it's impacting.

So you could stand very close to an ATGM strike, but unless you take the missile to your chest odds are good you survive. there is little explosive force going outwards and no shrapnell from the missile itself. as its missile design is not intended to be anti-infantry, but anti-armor.

its more of an waste to use ATGM's on infantry, as they have almost zero effect. its an expensive waste of ordnance and you have a big chance of giving away your position after the enemy figures out its probable launch location after impact. it's command wire's connecting the missile to the launch unit do not incinerate upon impact. even during exercises they had a habit to keep hanging in fences and wash lines. giving a nice trail for the enemy to take a rough guess where it came from.

I was glad we got rid of TOW's at the time and went over to the Panzerfaust-3. it's practical, can be fired from indoors, defeats most armour, you can set its warhead to either Anti-infantry or Anti-Tank and can shoot an low-flying helicopter out of the sky if you want with its Dynarange  computer.

but do not even get me started about the GILL we got as an medium to long range AT weapon in return. that's just over-hyped, over-priced Israeli garbage that can't even distinguish an shipping container from the desert surrounding it.

I guess I am not a military expert, but such missiles can be excellent anti-infantry weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqph30lis-c

There is or was a video on Youtube of four Alawite regime troops walking on a road getting hit with such a missile fired by the FSA; three of them do not get up, while one gets up but is clearly seriously wounded (he does not even bother to check on the other three if they are still alive or not and they are right beside him).

Sorry, but as of now I cannot find this video anywhere.

It is possible that the road's hard pavement created significant shrapnel, which resulted in the missile being more effective against infantry.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:08 am

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 C73bp1wW0AE9o1n
    KomissarBojanchev
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:53 am

So this where the TOW menace began. I hope Trump won't make such deals.
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/12/12/why-is-saudi-arabia-buying-15000-u-s-anti-tank-missiles-for-a-war-it-will-never-fight/

Can good estimates be made on what fraction of moderate owned ATGM stockpiles are being destroyed by russian airstrikes? Also I saw a chart in 2016 that showed the steady decrease of TOW launches by rebels. Why are there still so much launches in 2017?
    Visc
    Visc

Post  Visc Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:06 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:So this where the TOW menace began. I hope Trump won't make such deals.
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/12/12/why-is-saudi-arabia-buying-15000-u-s-anti-tank-missiles-for-a-war-it-will-never-fight/

Can good estimates be made on what fraction of moderate owned ATGM  stockpiles are being destroyed by russian airstrikes? Also I saw a chart in 2016 that showed the steady decrease of TOW launches by rebels. Why are there still so much launches in 2017?

Constant resupply (underground tunnels, airdrops). It's not really up to Trump, the weapons will keep flowing in.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Events at Tabqa dam. From looking at the dam it seems as if the water flow has stopped, but there must be some kind of emergency overflow. A local engineer has apparently said that if the river's flow is not reduced then there will be a serious problem in about 30 days.

Dam control buildings 23rd March

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 C74R9LWVAAAHLL0

Believed to be Coalition air strike

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 C74Ks2TVsAAmttG

Current condition

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 C74PdE6UwAAA-3z

Control room damage (looks like it might have been like that for a while)

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 C74MXhVVMAEe1gW
    ult

Post  ult Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 pm

It is T-62M. It is obvious. I understand that stupid jihadists have 3 years of school on average, and trying to exaggerate their wins. But the rest of the people who spread those fake claims are just the worst. Worse than the jihadists. Fucking morons giving a T-90 a bad name.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:02 pm

So, panic is over, everything is safe with the dam then.

US Central Command announced that Tabqa dam that lies on the Euphrates River upstream from the Syrian city of Raqqa remains structurally intact, as claimed earlier by anti-government forces advancing on the city about 25 miles to the south.

WASHINGTON (Sputnik) – The Tabqa dam that lies on the Euphrates River upstream from the Syrian city of Raqqa remains structurally intact, as claimed earlier by anti-government forces advancing on the city about 25 miles to the south, US Central Command announced in a Twitter message on Monday.

"The Coalition is taking every precaution to ensure the integrity of Tabqa Dam, the tweet stated. "To our knowledge, the dam has not been structurally damaged."

Earlier on Monday, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced a temporary pause in its advance on the Russia-outlawed terror group Islamic State's stronghold of Raqqa to allow its engineers to inspect the dam.

Local media reported on Sunday that the dam had been damaged, taking its electricity generators off line and prompting fears that the dam had been structurally weakened by US airstrikes.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 pm

SAA captured Ma'arzef in Northern Hama
    Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 QeEvW4J
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am

ult wrote:

It is T-62M. It is obvious. I understand that stupid jihadists have 3 years of school on average, and trying to exaggerate their wins. But the rest of the people who spread those fake claims are just the worst. Worse than the jihadists. Fucking morons giving a T-90 a bad name.

Hamster armour pretty evident. And tank looks still up? Not bad for the black sheep of the T-family.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:59 am

Odin of Ossetia wrote:
    There is or was a video on Youtube of four Alawite regime troops walking on a road getting hit with such a missile fired by the FSA; three of them do not get up, while one gets up but is clearly seriously wounded (he does not even bother to check on the other three if they are still alive or not and they are right beside him).

So you call the  Legitimate Syrian Government fighting ISIS and Alqaeda that NATO
    for many years have been supporting an "alawi regime"  but the terrorist groups ,
    who have been beheading women and children and eating human flesh ,gets
    a pass by calling them just FSA.   Neutral

i though by this time ,even the biggest retard will know there is not such a thing
    like "moderates rebels". they are financed and armed by the same people and they
    work together too  whenever they need too, for fight the government.

FSA switch back and forth from any terrorist groups and cooperate with them too directly.
    since day one they are terrorist ,no different than Alqaeda or ISIS. the only difference
    between ISIS,Alqaeda and FSA, is who pay their salaries ,and which zones they have been requested to hold in Syria by NATO major powers. The reason for a split terrorist opposition
    in many groups ,is so that if one collapse ,the others continue fighting.

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 Fsa-nusra-daesh-terrorist-11

Here is the FSA Commander ,who was popular for eating human flesh.  lol1

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23190533

Not even the corrupt BBC deny it . an FSA commander uploaded his own video of
    eating a human heart ..so this are your "moderates fighters."  lol1

Syrian War: News #12 - Page 4 Mccain-with-isis

This is why i said , the US government are not fools ,they do not commit mistakes in their funding of "moderates" this is how they can get away with financing terrorism.. By calling
    them "moderates" of "Free Syrian army" etc. Now their latest tactics is to use combine former
    terrorist with YPG kurds and call them, "Syrian democratic forces". but for doing that ,they had
    to kill the kurds leader ,who opposed any kind of alliance with former jihadist group fighting
    Assad.

in the picture TOP US senator McAin with the leader of ISIS ,Alqaeda fighters and the leader of FSA.. it was a meeting of all the jiahdist demons heads and representatives in just one place.
    The war in Syria is the biggest fraud ever in the fight against terrorism. after 911 which was
    ANOTHER monumental fraud. And nothing of this will be known by anyone if Russia did not had RT to counter western propaganda ,that have ruled the world with disinformation for so many decades. RT even tried to awaken zombies americans but no one blinked their eyes. too many zombies in the west.

RT which is a Russian Government funded media hinting that 911 was an inside job.  Wink
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ugCIjzHptA

for the people saying that the WTC attacks by the government was a "conspiration theory"
    Nothing less than Trump saying how the Builders of the wtc were saying it was a bomb.

What happens in Syria is only possible ,because the of the shadow government in US-UK and Israel were allowed to get away with that mass crime. So this is why terrorism flourish in any part that NATO goes. NATO major powers supports terrorism in the world ,fact. and World Trade center attacks was a a controlled demolition with nano bombs and the planes were used as a distraction to hide the bombs. With TRump now in power , he have one chance in a lifetime to fix US corruption and terrorism .but he have a hand tied . He is trying to push towards a world of little bit more sanity ,law and order ,and avoid a world war 3 ,but nobody expect him alone to do much.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 am

Blast from an explosion can kill anyone, but HEAT warheads are focused explosions are are designed to punch a small calibre hole in very very hard materials and that is what they do.

HEAT warheads can kill people but they are not particularly efficient in doing that. Larger missiles like Hellfire can do it because they have 10kgs of HE, but they are primarily designed to punch through armour.

the Soviets/Russians have dedicated HE Frag versions of their anti tank missiles with a much more effective HE Frag warhead... a Shturm missile with a 5kg HEAT round could punch through 500mm of armour but will likely only kill the guy its plasma beam goes through. The same missile with a HE warhead could hit a light jeep and kill all 6 people inside... the HE round will do nothing to a tank target, while the HEAT model might kill one person and injure 2-3 others in both vehicles.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:25 am

I'd say that the General's final comment was spot on but he did not mention the effective partitioning of Syria down the Euphrates. That's probably above even his pay grade.

The US-led coalition destroyed four bridges in Syria, which interrupted the communication between the north and south of Raqqa, with 200 thousand people, head of the Main Operations Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, Colonel-General Sergei Rudskoy stated.

"On February 3, the coalition's aviation destroyed four bridges: two in Raqqa and two in the settlements of El-Calta and El-Abbara. As a result of these actions, the communication between the northern and southern parts of the city, with over 200 thousand inhabitants, has been completely interrupted. On February 18, a bridge in El Megle was completely destroyed in the vicinity of the city of Maadan, 60 kilometers east of Raqqa," he said.

He also stated that the Russian General Staff was concerned by the strikes carried out by the international coalition on the dam in the Euphrates River in the area of Raqqa. "Our greatest concern is the airstrikes performed by the coalition's aviation forces on the dam in the Euphrates River west of Raqqa," Rudskoy told journalists on Tuesday. According to Rudskoy, as a result of the March 26 airstrikes, two dampers in the southern part of the dam were damaged, designed for the prevention of the reservoir's overflow. "These actions could lead to a large-scale environmental catastrophe, the flooding of vast areas and numerous victims among civilians," Rudskoy stated.

He summarized by saying that the US-led coalition seems straining after the destruction of Syria's critical infrastructure. "It seems like the international coalition has a goal to damage the critical infrastructure in Syria, aggravating the post-war reconstruction of the country as much as possible," the general said.

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201703281052029568-raqqa-transport-coalition/
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:18 pm

At least 800 militants have left the Iraqi city of Mosul and headed toward the Syrian border over the past week, chief of the Russian General Staff Main Operational Directorate Col. Gen. Sergei Rudskoy said Tuesday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Russian military has repeatedly said that Daesh terrorists leave Mosul for Syria amid an Iraqi offensive supported by the US-led coalition. "According to our data, at least 800 militants have left Mosul over the past week toward the Syrian border," Rudskoy said at a briefing.

Militants continue infiltrating Deir Ez-Zor in Syria from Iraq despite the US-led coalition's assurances of fully surrounding Mosul, he said. "Despite coalition assurances on the complete encirclement of Mosul, the infiltration of militants from the city into the Syrian region of Deir Ez-Zor continues." He said the Deir Ez-Zor "garrison has been fighting for several years while being surrounded."

Last December, the Russian Defense Ministry said that intelligence data suggested that up to 5,000 Daesh terrorists have been moved to Syria’s Raqqa and Deir ez-Zor from Iraq’s Mosul.

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201703281052032546-daesh-syria-mosul/
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Can you imagine the reaction in Damascus and Moscow if this actually happens?

Nasir Hec Mansur, commander of a unit of the Syrian Democratic Forces told Sputnik Turkey in an interview that the US-led coalition forces will use the recently liberated Tabqa military base during the operation in Raqqa.

The Syrian Democratic Forces in the course of fierce clashes with Daesh managed to take back control of the strategically important Tabqa military base situated near Raqqa.

In an interview with Sputnik Turkey Mansur said, “The military base in Tabqa is of great importance to us. The planes of the coalition forces will take off from there during the operation for the liberation of Raqqa.” He further said that the military base in Tabqa is important because of its geographical location, as it is situated west of the Euphrates River. “At present, our forces have surrounded the city of Tabqa and we expect to take it under our control in the near future,” Mansur said.

With the capture of Tabqa, the number of military bases at the disposal of the Syrian forces has increased to two. Last year, the forces established control over the Minig air base, south of Aazaz.

Earlier, it was reported that the US-led coalition conducted 30 strikes consisting of 72 engagements against Daesh in Syria and Iraq on Monday, including five strikes near Tabqa, Operation Inherent Resolve said in a press release. Furthermore it was reported that the ongoing operations to isolate Raqqa are proceeding satisfactorily and are gaining momentum, a senior Department of State official announced Monday.

"Things are moving toward Raqqa," the official said. The isolation phase is proceeding very well, and in fact, accelerating," the official stated.

Following the isolation of the city, the battle for its liberation will begin. At present, Daesh controls vast territories of Syria's Raqqa province, including the regional capital itself.

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/201703281052053201-us-coalition-use-tabqa-base-near-raqqa/

Last edited by JohninMK on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    par far

Post  par far Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 pm

The next big issue is going to be how to deal with the asshole Kurds, the bastards willl be used against Iran and Russia(more specifically Iran).

Iran better be ready and do more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm