Anniversary Days, Sevastopol 2017

auslander
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Anniversary Days, Sevastopol 2017

Post  auslander on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Soldiers Day Sevastopol

35th Battery Museum

Three generations of Russian Warriors, Great Patriotic War, Cold War and Syria. The elderly lady in the wheel chair was Partizan in Sevastopol for the entire war. The elderly gentleman served in and around Leningrad from beginning to end. The Lady is the basis of one of the major characters in my upcoming novel. The young Starshi Lutanant has just returned from Syria. The lady is sharp as a tack and lives alone in one of our outlying villages. Her grandson brought her to Museum today by invitation. He has served in Donetsk from the very beginning and is highly decorated. He is down here on leave and returns to the front soon. The Cold War vet, first time we met was last summer. There was and is no animosity between us, as he once said "You did your job, I did my job. It wasn't personal." And it wasn't.

A small part of the elderly lady's story:

“My husband and I met two months before the Germans came to our city. I was in Army Nurse School and he was in the Navy Academy, both of us in Sevastopol and both of us with eighteen years. S//////a was in the school with me. When the Germans and their Romanians came we had not a full day’s notice from our commanders. My husband and his entire class were given two hours training with old rifles, given five patroni for each and sent to the line to defend Sevastopol. They had nothing else, no grenades, no radios, no helmets, nothing but them and their teachers from the Academy. By the end of the first day half of them were dead but they stopped the Romanians who attacked them. By the end of the second day half of the remaining boys were dead and half of we student nurses were dead. By the end of the fourth day almost all of our comrades, his and ours, were dead. My husband had three school boys with him and only S//////a and I were alive from our Nurse School. We went on our own to the center of city and there we were taken in to a unit that was going in to the tunnels under City Center. That is where we fought them from for the next four years."

Second photo, y'all know what that is. On display today in City along with a complete S 300 complex.
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Anniversary Days, Sevastopol 2017

Post  PapaDragon on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:41 pm

This is nice. russia
    auslander
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post  auslander on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 am

It was a good day. Long, but good.
    auslander
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Victory Day Sevastopol, 09 May 2017

Post  auslander on Tue May 09, 2017 6:32 pm

4 weeks of very hard work boiled down to 30 minutes of actual parade for Red Army in Sevastopol. The day of the event is not easy. Sitter for the children arrived Monday evening and of course spent the night. We were up at 03:30 today, left the house for 35th Battery Museum at 05:15. Column formed at Battery and left for City Center at 07:15. Arrived at the top of Lenina Street at 07:45 and sat as the rest of Red Army arrived from outlying areas for the next 30 minutes. Parade started at 10:00, we moved at roughly 10:30. By 11:30 we were on the way back to Battery for the 'touchy feely' for the citizens. Long day but worth every minute of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNATPSw6IMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtu2JMQkv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LknlaZRPlrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdsuhFX9Na0

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 am