Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Navy: Status & News #4

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Navy: Status & News #4

Post  TheArmenian on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 am

Head of the Navy, Admiral Korolev announced today:

-Another Yasen class will be laid down in Sevmash this year.
    -2 Kilo class submarines will be laid down for the Pacific fleet at the Admirality shipyard.
    -Admiral Makarov frigate will be commissioned this year.
    -Ivan Gren landing ship will be commissioned this year.
    -Ilya Murometz naval icebreaker will be commissioned this year.
    -Construction of Rezkyy, Derzky, Karakurt, ivan Kurs etc. will continue
    -Kazan will be launched this year
    -Knyaz Vladimir will be launched this year

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 am

Veteran of the Black Sea Fleet, last remaining ship in service of this project, "Smetlivy" (upgraded project 01090 Kashin-class) is tracking by camera the new American nuclear aircraft carrier CVN 77 George H.W. Bush in February 2017 (the frame of the TV coverage of the American TV company NBC on February 24).

The US aircraft carrier group led by the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush entered the Mediterranean Sea, 2 February. Patrol ship "Sharp-witted" left Sevastopol on combat duty in the Mediterranean Sea is still October 28, 2016.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2459963.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 pm

MURMANSK, March 10. /TASS/. The Russian Northern Fleet’s submarines Yuri Dolgoruky and Obninsk held an exercise to fire torpedoes against an underwater target, the fleet’s press office reported on Friday.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/934869

PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Russian Navy vessels could soon see female crew members

In 2015 Russian naval schools began accepting women. Take a look at the training procedure in the RBTH gallery.............

http://rbth.com/multimedia/pictures/2017/03/10/russian-navy-vessels-could-soon-see-female-crew-members_717081
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Ryazan Project 667BDR submarine is back in service

One of the three remaining Project 667BDR submarines, Ryazan, has returned to its base in Vilyuchinsk after an overhaul at the Zvezda plant in Vladivostok.

The submarine was transferred to the Pacific from the Northern Fleet in 2008. It began its overhaul in 2012 and its return to service was delayed a number of times.

Ryazan is an old submarine - it began service in 1982. It is not clear what is the reason submarines of this class are kept in service, but they seem to be doing reasonably well. Each submarine carries 16 R-29R missiles with three warheads, so the return of Ryazan will increase the New START warhead count.

http://russianforces.org/blog/2017/02/ryazan_project_667bdr_submarin.shtml

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Detailed results of the Northern Fleet's submarines in 2016;

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2499271.html
    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Ryazan is an old submarine - it began service in 1982. It is not clear what is the reason submarines of this class are kept in service, but they seem to be doing reasonably well. Each submarine carries 16 R-29R missiles with three warheads, so the return of Ryazan will increase the New START warhead count.

Holding the fort until the Borei's can replace...
    miketheterrible
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  miketheterrible on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 pm

It isn't that old. And lets be real here, its an SSBN. Those things do not have much more of a purpose than launching nukes somewhere in the Ocean. Not like it needs to go deep within the US to be able to launch its nuclear arsenal.
    Big_Gazza
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Big_Gazza on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 am

miketheterrible wrote:It isn't that old.  And lets be real here, its an SSBN.  Those things do not have much more of a purpose than launching nukes somewhere in the Ocean.  Not like it needs to go deep within the US to be able to launch its nuclear arsenal.

Agreed, and keep in mind the US Ohio Class construction started in 1976, so they are of a very similar vintage.
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:25 am

Like Franco said, holding the fort for a while longer until new stuff arrives.

And they can always be repurposed later as conventional land attack vessels (Zumwalt on the cheap so to say).

Just take out Sinevas and install Kalibrs. And no worries about noise in that role.
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Ryazan is a Delta III class SSBN. This type is being phased out with the introduction of Boreis. Delta IV class SSBNs are newer and will be in service alongside Borei class for a lot of years

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 am

BREAKING NEWS

Lead ship of navy icebreaker project 23350 will be laid down in Admiralsky Werf on the 20th of April.

https://life.ru/t/наука/987888/piervyi_rossiiskii_boievoi_liedokol_zalozhat_20_aprielia

This ship is around 5000T and is armed with the new 76mm gun and a helicopter. It also will carry KALIBR missiles.
    TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:16 am

TheArmenian wrote:BREAKING NEWS

Lead ship of navy icebreaker project 23350 will be laid down in Admiralsky Werf on the 20th of April.

https://life.ru/t/наука/987888/piervyi_rossiiskii_boievoi_liedokol_zalozhat_20_aprielia

This ship is around 5000T and is armed with the new 76mm gun and a helicopter. It also will carry KALIBR missiles.

And the name of the ship will be Ivan Papadragon.........sorry Ivan Papanin

By the way, it will have a displacement of around 6500 T

http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/1855546.html
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

TheArmenian wrote:........

And the name of the ship will be Ivan Papadragon.........sorry Ivan Papanin

By the way, it will have a displacement of around 6500 T

http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/1855546.html

It's OK, I fully expect them to name a Lider class destroyer after me. These patrol ships are bit small for such a significant name lol1

Also, any news on AA systems for these ships?
    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Laughing

Shucks I missed that the first time No

Good one at you Mr theArmenian thumbsup

miroslav
    Private
    Private

Post  miroslav on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:55 pm

[quote="PapaDragon"]
    TheArmenian wrote:........

Also, any news on AA systems for these ships?

I have bean wondering the same thing, I think it will be a great mistake to just follow the example of other similar ship's from other nations (Scandinavian ones primarily) and not install any capable air defense, at least good point defense, that is something that the Russian fleet is not lacking, PALASH, Naval Pantsir, AK-630....etc. These ship will perform important duties that will make other ship to theirs, so they are force multipliers, no question about that. But this will make them targets, a single 76mm gun, event if its a very good one is not enough. I say, a single gun, because that is the only thing that I can sea from the pictures so far.

At least put a pair of AK630 to cover the rear and the sides, it's cheap and it works, a single Palash or Pantsir in the middle of the superstructure would be great, it's just common sense.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:22 am

Even Duet would offer serious protection from a range of angles without demanding too much space.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

miroslav
    Private
    Private

Post  miroslav on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:22 pm

GarryB wrote:Even Duet would offer serious protection from a range of angles without demanding too much space.

Exactly, but then again, I just saw the video of the new Tor-M2 air defense module being tested on one of the Grigorovic class frigates (not sure if it's actually Adm. Grigorovic), there was room to put two of those things on the heli. pad on the Grigorovic and the new combat ice breaker will be just as wide if not slightly wider.

Looking ad the current pictures they can put one at the top of the hangar or rear superstructure or just put one Club module and one Tor. But I would definitely put at least one AK630, that's just me.
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:57 pm

TOR is impressive... but I think a helo would be more use most of the time.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

miroslav
    Private
    Private

Post  miroslav on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:27 am

GarryB wrote:TOR is impressive... but I think a helo would be more use most of the time.

Goes without saying, I was just truing to point out that it doesn't take up a lot of space.

One thing that I do mind is that the whole module has only 8 missiles, as far as I understood, I know that they made system that can take 16 missiles but I don't know will this be it. Problem with that is that it doesn't allow long term defense against multiple attack waves. If they can put 16 missiles into one module great. I guess that this is a general limitation of such an approach compare to making a dedicated naval system that would have the tracking and control systems separate from the missiles and their launch system, like on the Udaloy's Tor.

They could theoretically make it event more modular by making a separate control/radar module and a smaller firing module with 8-10 missiles, where every control module would have 2-3 firing modules connected to it, but all of it would be in a format that just needs to be bolted to the ships deck and covered with some sort of shielding.
    Isos
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Isos on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:08 am

The module on the Grigorovitch is just for testing I think. It's a land based Tor (typical green color of the system) with Naval part for testing them. Their is no way they put a system like that on ships as it's not connected to the ship's sensors and it takes the space for the helicopter.

A normal naval version would be much smaller than this as the radar would be on the mast and the VLS are really small that they could be fitted anywhere on any ship beeing build or even on older ships.

miroslav
    Private
    Private

Post  miroslav on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 am

Isos wrote:The module on the Grigorovitch is just for testing I think. It's a land based Tor (typical green color of the system) with Naval part for testing them. Their is no way they put a system like that on ships as it's not connected to the ship's sensors and it takes the space for the helicopter.

A normal naval version would be much smaller than this as the radar would be on the mast and the VLS are really small that they could be fitted anywhere on any ship beeing build or even on older ships.

Yes, this is just a test, and the final version will be much different, but, the module is already connected to the ship, evident by the cable running to it, this is primarily, the power supply that would otherwise be provided by the diesel engine/generator of the tracked/wheeled vehicle. But there could be an additional data link as well, we don't know, that would provide info from the ships main search radar.

My point is that if you separate the radar and tracking and put them on a ships mast and integrate them into the interior then its no different then any other system, it loses the, as I said "drag and drop" capability.

Now, they probably will do that for many ships so they can have more missiles per one tracking and targeting system, but they definitely need do have a "module" version for all the cargo, supply and logistics ships that they will be making, I think we can all agree on that.

As I mentioned it the only draw back is a limited number of missiles, 8 currently, 12 -16 would be ideal.
    hoom
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  hoom on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Looking ad the current pictures they can put one at the top of the hangar or rear superstructure
    Seems like the obvious place though some pics have a crane there.
    I think it'd be a good idea to develop a containerised version of some AA system, it could then be used on this, 22160, 20386 and any other modular types.
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 am

Russian anti-submarine warfare destroyer makes call at Namibia

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/937501

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Chinese diesel engines broke down at the first test of the anti-sabotage boat of Project 21980

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2515970.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 pm