Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 7908
    Points : 8000
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  PapaDragon on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:19 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:...
    If China is the biggest threat, which they are, how are we going to stop them without carrier strike groups? Have you looked at the PLAN lately?

    In what fictional universe is China bigger threat than USA and/or Europe?

    You have collection of clowns in Europe who are actively working on taking you all out even without USA in the mix and somehow China is the problem?

    If China wanted to do anything about Russia last thing they would be wasting money on would be Navy, ships don't matter in conflicts between two nuclear nations on the same continent.

    If you are so hell bent on going to war with China then you better invest in Army with loads of intermediate range missiles and not in some redundant ego boats because for both of you navy will not be doing squat in that situation.

    Chinese population is jam packed on the coast and infrastructure is insanely interdependent and sensitive. Several missiles in the power grid and traffic system and whole place will be back to stone age with a dash of Black Death once cholera sets in and societal collapse when food and water go tits up.




    Vladimir79 wrote:...A smaller carrier and corvettes... how are the corvettes going to protect the carrier?

    They won't. Their job it to go after submarines AKA main naval threat Russia is facing and which has to be monitored.




    Vladimir79 wrote:...Hmeimim air base doesn't move, we needed a mobile air coverage that was provided by Moskva. And what missile do modern jets fire greater than 100km that can hit a moving target?

    Plenty of missiles do, both​ aerial and land based. And calling Moskva moving target is bit generous in modern environment.

    If Turks wanted to sink Moskva they would have. Nobody is afraid of some overbloathed obsolete rust bucket you keep around to remember the good old days, they are afraid of your airforce, land based missiles and nukes and what it would do to their population.

    We didn't tap out in 99 because we were afraid of American fleet or cruise missiles, we did it because we didn't want them to make good on the promise to carpet bomb our population centers with strategic aviation (promise delivered in no uncertain terms by Finnish emissary, look it up)

    They were already carpet bombing areas with suspected military targets, Vietnam style. Didn't hit anything but you can't hide cities.

    Fleet is a joke. Any fleet. That is if you aren't Afghan level cave man.

    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:30 am

    PapaDragon wrote:Up until 2008 you were acting like there will never again be an armed conflict in your future and between 2008 and 2014 you were still expecting everything to be smooth and silky with couple of speed bumps at most.

    How would anyone be able to justify expenditures required for development, construction sites, infrastructure and building of carrier navy?

    How did the French justify the infrastructure for building carriers?  They also use it to build cruise ships, LNG carriers and offshore oil platforms.  We could use it to build the last two and large cargo ships.

    Plenty of missiles do, both​ aerial and land based. And calling Moskva moving target is bit generous in modern environment.

    Name one with 100km+ range.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 7908
    Points : 8000
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  PapaDragon on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:...Name one with 100km+ range.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(missile)


    To say that Moskva would have been way out of her league on her own would be epic understatement

    And this is just one


    Vladimir79 wrote:...How did the French justify the infrastructure for building carriers?

    Easy, they have you
    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:19 am

    PapaDragon wrote:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(missile)

    To say that Moskva would have been way out of her league on her own would be epic understatement

    And this is just one

    The air launched version has 90km range, the Exocet even less.

    ...How did the French justify the infrastructure for building carriers?

    Easy, they have you

    Disrespect will not be tolerated.  Enjoy your time out.
    avatar
    Tingsay

    Posts : 125
    Points : 129
    Join date : 2016-12-09

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Tingsay on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am

    If your gonna temporarily ban somebody for trash talking, you better start banning more than half this forum. This is unprofessional.
    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:28 am

    Tingsay wrote:If your gonna temporarily ban somebody for trash talking, you better start banning more than half this forum. This is unprofessional.

    I have already had 3 perm bans and 5 temp bans this month.  Just because you don't always see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. Read my announcement, I wasn't joking.
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 183
    Points : 189
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  marcellogo on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:Up until 2008 you were acting like there will never again be an armed conflict in your future and between 2008 and 2014 you were still expecting everything to be smooth and silky with couple of speed bumps at most.

    How would anyone be able to justify expenditures required for development, construction sites, infrastructure and building of carrier navy?

    How did the French justify the infrastructure for building carriers?  They also use it to build cruise ships, LNG carriers and offshore oil platforms.  We could use it to build the last two and large cargo ships.

    Plenty of missiles do, both​ aerial and land based. And calling Moskva moving target is bit generous in modern environment.

    Name one with 100km+ range.

    Easy, our standard service one.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otomat

    Introduced in 1978 , had 180km range then, now exceed 250km.

    About your own tirade on Corvettes, what exactly you refer to?

    Steregushchy have an hely hangar, so they would be better considered light frigates than just plain corvettes, they are located most in Baltic and Pacific, for Northern fleet i.e. for blue sea roles they would acquire Derzky/Merkuriy instead, that with a 3400 announced tonnage would be at same level of Cold war era standard frigates.
    Buyan_M were for Caspian flottilla missile boats and were called corvettes only when they were enlarged with USKS installation, they ordered some for Baltic also but now they are ordering more sea Worthy Karakurt instead.

    All in all they are just the right size for Baltic/Black Sea/Caspian fleets, maybe just a little smaller for Pacific.

    No one is scheduled instead to operate with the Northern one, so IMHO no big fuss about them.


    Last edited by marcellogo on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:54 am

    marcellogo wrote:

    Easy, our standard service one.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otomat


    Not so easy when the criteria is air-launched from a Western fighter.
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 183
    Points : 189
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  marcellogo on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:
    marcellogo wrote:

    Easy, our standard service one.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otomat


    Not so easy when the criteria is air-launched from a Western fighter.

    Original quote was air and sea launched.
    So we have made half of the work, blame the rest to lack of support from our supposed partners.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 3277
    Points : 3275
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Isos on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:22 am

    The air launched version has 90km range, the Exocet even less.

    Have you heard of something called radar horizon ? Moskva won't see the fighter more than 50km away if it flies low.

    Aircraft will always be superior to ships. That's why ships should have air defence specially made for use against swarme missile attacks.

    Anyway the conversation was about engines. I stop here.
    avatar
    marat

    Posts : 247
    Points : 245
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  marat on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am

    Nothing is more important for Russia if Russia want to be global power then ocean going navy. And only if you become global power countries will chose you for "protector" and then fruits of economic, politic, science etc cooperation will come to Russia.

    Being global power means that you have allies around the world like USA have. And why would any country chose Russia for its protector if Russia cannot protect them? To protect allies you need to be near them, and to have open sea lines.

    That's why Russia now have strong naval forces in Mediterranean see. Tomorrow you could enter Jemen or Libya, or some other conflict way you have entered in Syria and start to building your naval presence and bases around the globe.

    When you will become global naval power then countries will approach to you, and you will not need conflict to find new allies.

    You need ocean going navy and bases to be capable to protect new allies.

    At this moment Russia almost have no allies at all.

    When you will have allies then economic politic and science cooperation with that country will be increased.

    Take Serbia as example, what Russia could offer to us? Protection? No we know you will not protect us. Economy? Just oil and gas, but we could by it from others. But you are still main member of UN. And that is main reason why Serbia want to be near Russia, and voila, we have sell our oil industry to you, we have engaged your companies and banks to finance and repair our railroads, we didn't joined any sanctions against you. We are buying some weapons from you. We are piss poor country but jet you have some fruits from having us as ally.

    Just look China France GB and USA, do you really think that they are stupid but jet rich and powerful?

    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am

    marcellogo wrote:

    Original quote was air and sea launched.
    So we have made half of the work, blame the rest to lack of support from our supposed partners.

    The original quote I was responding to was "Slava is old and its S-300 are old ones with less than 100km range. Totally useless against stand off attacks from modern jets."

    ...nothing about sea launched.

    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 am

    Isos wrote:Have you heard of something called radar horizon ? Moskva won't see the fighter more than 50km away if it flies low.

    Aircraft will always be superior to ships. That's why ships should have air defence specially made for use against swarme missile attacks.

    Anyway the conversation was about engines. I stop here.

    In order for the fighter to lock her it would have to fly high enough that the Moskva would see it.  It goes both ways.  The Moskva is not defenceless against such attacks anyways.
    avatar
    marat

    Posts : 247
    Points : 245
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  marat on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:53 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:
    Isos wrote:Have you heard of something called radar horizon ? Moskva won't see the fighter more than 50km away if it flies low.

    Aircraft will always be superior to ships. That's why ships should have air defence specially made for use against swarme missile attacks.

    Anyway the conversation was about engines. I stop here.

    In order for the fighter to lock her it would have to fly high enough that the Moskva would see it.  It goes both ways.  The Moskva is not defenceless against such attacks anyways.

    That could be done by another aircraft from bigger distance far away from reach of S300, and in same time attacking aircrafts could be under radar horizont and safe.
    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:59 am

    marat wrote:

    That could be done by another aircraft  from bigger distance far away from reach of S300, and in same time attacking aircrafts could be under radar horizont and safe.

    And another ship or aircraft could relay data to the Moskva, it goes both ways.
    avatar
    marat

    Posts : 247
    Points : 245
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  marat on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:18 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:
    marat wrote:

    That could be done by another aircraft  from bigger distance far away from reach of S300, and in same time attacking aircrafts could be under radar horizont and safe.

    And another ship or aircraft could relay data to the Moskva, it goes both ways.  
    Could S 300 be guided via proxy? Or Moskva would have to guide them? For ASM just location of Moskva should be send.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 20668
    Points : 21222
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  GarryB on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 am

    I think the point is that it is not so easy.

    On paper the Exocet should not have been any where near as successful as it was in the Falklands war... both the Sea Dart and the Sea Wolf should have been perfectly capable of shooting them down in numbers, but for various reasons they failed to be 100% effective.

    BTW the Moskva... if she wanted to, could carry a Ka-31 as one of her helicopters and therefore have excellent over the horizon detection of aircraft and surface ships via radar.

    The S-300 system is a vertical launch system... if you cut that out of the deck you should be able to fit rather a lot of vertical SAM launchers in its place because the original system had a lot of internal space so the missile tubes could be accessed from beneath deck and also clusters of them rotated into position beneath a launch hatch. Those mechanisms and all that free space is redundant with the new missiles so you could pack a lot more launch tubes in the available space.

    The main problem with the upgrade of the Slava class ships is that the main armament is angled and external so standard UKSK launchers which are vertical and installed under the deck would be an issue... except on the roe.ru web page it mentions the launchers in question can be angled or vertical and can have any number of launch tubes from 2, 4, 6, or 8 missiles either fixed angled or elevating... it can launch the standard Club missiles including the Calibr land attack missile and the Club subsonic anti ship missile and the combined subsonic supersonic Club anti ship missile too.

    Here is the export page for it:

    http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/naval-systems/shipborne-weapons/klab-u/

    Just replacing the Vulcan missiles with Calibrs or Clubs, and the Rif missiles with modern S-350s would seriously improve performance without much modification at all.

    Of course it makes sense to replace the electronics anyway... just for the new systems being so much more superior.... otherwise the single gun turret 30mm weapons could be replaced with Duets and improved radars and EO systems, and of course the short range missile Klintok can be replaced with new model TOR missiles (twice as many in the same space with much better range, ceiling, and accuracy).

    Would probably replace the old gun with a 152mm gun turret... getting these things in to service in an upgrade would be much quicker than waiting for new builds, but would not be too expensive and offer serious performance improvements and large boat capabilities that the frigates and corvettes built so far just can't manage... no matter how impressive their armament is.

    Could S 300 be guided via proxy? Or Moskva would have to guide them? For ASM just location of Moskva should be send.

    The new Sigma battle management system shares data across the navy so any aircraft or satellites or subs nearby as well as any ships will share information about nearby threats or targets.

    The helicopter the Moskva carries has a radar (even the Ka-27 has an air and surface search radar) and high flying radar platforms that would be detecting the Moskva could be detected by Moskvas own radars too... with that information shared to other Russian platforms in the area.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 20668
    Points : 21222
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  GarryB on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:35 am

    Note the ship pictured in that link I posted regarding upgrading older ships showed a Udaloy class ship that retains its 100mm gun but adds a front deck mounted 8 tube launcher, plus two 6 tube angled launchers replace the previous quad angled launchers for SS-N-14, but it also has two quad launchers amid ships angled like they angle Kh-35 launchers with four pointed out each side... that would be 8+8+12 missiles, which is a pretty good upgrade for that ship even without any other changes.

    The Vulcan tubes on the Slava class are bigger so could probably have 8 angled tubes for each two Vulkans, so that would be 64 launch tubes fairly easily mounted on the ship. I can't see the electronics for the new system being bigger or heavier than the electronics for the Vulcans... these tubes are specifically designed to upgrade older ships...

    BTW here is a photo from below the deck of a Rif naval SAM missile system (basically S-300).
    As you can see there is a lot of wasted space there... in the volume taken up by 96 odd missiles you should be able to fit quite a few launch tubes in a VLS that is more efficient of space:

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Fe217f10
    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:39 am

    marat wrote:
    Could S 300 be guided via proxy? Or Moskva would have to guide them? For ASM just location of Moskva should be send.

    It is a terminal command to active SARH guidance.  As long as a radar is painting the target in the same frequency it can detect it as long as it is within LOS of the seeker.  The bottom line is a NATO fighter launching either Harpoons or Exocets are in danger of being shot down.  That would make them think twice about launching an attack.  The Slava class could shoot down volleys of Harpoons all day.  It is only a saturation attack that would overwhelm her defences.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 3277
    Points : 3275
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Isos on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 am

    You have only one slava per fleet. Your other ships have weak long range defences. It will operate alone and no other ship have the radar of s-300 to be used for terminal SARH. Saturation would come very quickly. 1 f-18 can carry 4 harpoons.

    The Slava class could shoot down volleys of Harpoons all day.

    Go on youtube and search for "s-300 missile fails". With such an old ship and system it will happen for sure during massive launches.

    What you need is more Gorshkovs.

    Steregouchshy also have 12-16 redut. Having a group of 4 means 48 SAMs and 4 ships with smaller rcs to deal with for the same price as one Gorshkov. That's a harder target for US navy than a single Slava or even a single Gorshkov.

    Karakurts have pantsir which can deal with harpoons just just as good as a slava for cheaper.

    From your own words, a Us carrier is 40 f-18.

    1 gorshkov, 4 steregushchy with 80 Redut to keep aviation away and 12 karakurts around them with 12×8. = 96 ready to fire pantsirs missiles to  destroy any incoming missile, can destroy a carrier group. In total it is 144 uksk for 600km range oniks.

    You are underestimating small ships. They can now carry tte same weapons as big one for much smaller price, smaller rcs and higher speed. Bad point is less endurence and less weapons but you can buy more of them which kinda counter that.
    Vladimir79
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2900
    Points : 3778
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:07 pm

    Isos wrote:You have only one slava per fleet. Your other ships have weak long range defences. It will operate alone and no other ship have the radar of s-300 to be used for terminal SARH. Saturation would come very quickly. 1 f-18 can carry 4 harpoons.

    What does that have to do with what Moskva did in Syria?  First it provided AAW coverage for the northern half of our forces, second it provided 16 "carrier-killing" missiles to keep NATO at bay, and lastly it made sure to keep Turkish air power on their side of the border.

    The Slava class could shoot down volleys of Harpoons all day.

    Go on youtube and search for "s-300 missile fails". With such an old ship and system it will happen for sure during massive launches.

    Do you know how many batteries of CIWS are on that ship?  6X AK-630s, not to mention a twin OSA launcher on top of its S-300F system.  That ship can defend itself.

    What you need is more Gorshkovs.

    Since we aren't getting any cruisers then that is the best we can get.

    Steregouchshy also have 12-16 redut. Having a group of 4 means 48 SAMs and 4 ships with smaller rcs to deal with for the same price as one Gorshkov. That's a harder target for US navy than a single Slava or even a single Gorshkov.

    None of our "stealth" ships are actually stealthy.  There are far too many accouterments on it much less keeping up with the RAM coat before it rusts and peels.  12 redut doesn't equal 64 5V55RM.  When you can buy two Gorshkovs for the price of four Steregushchiy, corvettes looks like a huge waste.  

    1 gorshkov, 4 steregushchy with 80 Redut to keep aviation away and 12 karakurts around them with 12×8. = 96 ready to fire pantsirs missiles to  destroy any incoming missile, can destroy a carrier group. In total it is 144 uksk for 600km range oniks.

    I don't know what you are arguing, of course Moskva is out of date and headed for scrap, but it is what we had.  The ship we have worth buying are Gorshkovs.  

    You are underestimating small ships. They can now carry tte same weapons as big one for much smaller price, smaller rcs and higher speed. Bad point is less endurence and less weapons but you can buy more of them which kinda counter that.

    Your problem is you don't understand how much Steregushchiy costs, fully armed it is 10 billion RUB.
    avatar
    marat

    Posts : 247
    Points : 245
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  marat on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:11 pm

    Vladimir79 wrote:
    Your problem is you don't understand how much Steregushchiy costs, fully armed it is 10 billion RUB.

    And what is cost of Gorshkov? Or Mercury? Generaly where I could find price of Russian ships?
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 1295
    Points : 1293
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:11 pm

    Eh iso you are wrong there, Yes on paper smaller ships are cheaper to produce but when you need to group tons of them to equal the firepower of a single frigate it suddenly becomes much more expensive.

    1 ship is easier to manage in the sea then several.

    Also smaller ships aren't effective in a major naval battle, you seem to forget the Escorts with the carrier will be able to overwhelm any AA defense the corvettes have due to simply having much more weapons on board.

    Between the Planes and the carrier's escorts, sorry a fleet of corvettes is nothing but a joke, good at taking a pot shot here and there sure, and good at defending the coast but bad in the blue sea.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 1295
    Points : 1293
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:14 pm

    marat wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:
    Your problem is you don't understand how much Steregushchiy costs, fully armed it is 10 billion RUB.

    And what is cost of Gorshkov? Or Mercury? Generaly where I could find price of Russian ships?

    Around 250m fully loaded out for a Gorshkov.

    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

    Posts : 229
    Points : 231
    Join date : 2015-12-30

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Rodion_Romanovic on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:29 pm

    Vladimir79 wrote:

    None of our "stealth" ships are actually stealthy.  There are far too many accouterments on it much less keeping up with the RAM coat before it rusts and peels.  12 redut doesn't equal 64 5V55RM.  When you can buy two Gorshkovs for the price of four Steregushchiy, corvettes looks like a huge waste.  

    1 gorshkov, 4 steregushchy with 80 Redut to keep aviation away and 12 karakurts around them with 12×8. = 96 ready to fire pantsirs missiles to  destroy any incoming missile, can destroy a carrier group. In total it is 144 uksk for 600km range oniks.

    I don't know what you are arguing, of course Moskva is out of date and headed for scrap, but it is what we had.  The ship we have worth buying are Gorshkovs.  

    You are underestimating small ships. They can now carry tte same weapons as big one for much smaller price, smaller rcs and higher speed. Bad point is less endurence and less weapons but you can buy more of them which kinda counter that.

    Your problem is you don't understand how much Steregushchiy costs, fully armed it is 10 billion RUB.
    One of the biggest part of cost of a modern military ship are the weapon systems, the sensors and the electronics.

    That's why a Steregushchiy corvette cost more than a grigorovich frigate.

    They are nice ships and they were also the only modern multipurpose ship that Russia could build without ukrainian engines before Saturn and Zvezda completed the import substitution work for gas turbine and reduction gear for the gorshkov class frigates.

    However, if now the issue with the engine is solved, and they are able to produce enough engines for the hulls that they will be building, it would be very important to build modern frigates in all navy shipyards that are big enough for the task and leave corvettes for the smaller shipyards (e.g. zelenodovsk in tatarstan and vostochnaya verf in Vladivostok (Pella and Feodosia probably can only build ships up to around 800 tons instead).

    Yantar, Zaliv (Kerch) and Amur shipyards should all be capable of building Gorshkov (and even Gorshkov-M) class frigates.

    Sponsored content

    Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update - Page 19 Empty Re: Russian Naval Construction Plans and Update

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 pm