Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Why weren't soviet pilots allowed to have noseart on their aircraft?

KomissarBojanchev
    Colonel
    Colonel

Why weren't soviet pilots allowed to have noseart on their aircraft?

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:51 pm

It seems extremely strange given that almost all other nations allowed their pilots or squadrons to personalize their planes? Why was this forbidden in the USSR? I know their were exceptions in WW2 with inscriptions being allowed, but during the cold war this practice completely disappeared. What was the harm in soviet aircraft to have noseart?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Why weren't soviet pilots allowed to have noseart on their aircraft?

Post  GarryB on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:41 am

what makes you think it was forbidden?

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I think I read in one of Yefim Gordon's book (can't remember which) that nose art was tolerated in some extent in WWII, but forbidden afterwards, can't remember the justification either. The only few which were allowed were those in training units, like the MiG-23, 25 and 29 in Turkmenistan which spotted big shark mouths and other markings, and this was allowed only because, as these were "agressor" fighters, it thus served to distinguish the "Soviet" ones.

KomissarBojanchev
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:23 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:I think I read in one of Yefim Gordon's book (can't remember which) that nose art was tolerated in some extent in WWII, but forbidden afterwards, can't remember the justification either. The only few which were allowed were those in training units, like the MiG-23, 25 and 29 in Turkmenistan which spotted big shark mouths and other markings, and this was allowed only because, as these were "agressor" fighters, it thus served to distinguish the "Soviet" ones.
    So the reason for this ban remains a mystery?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 am

I have seen no evidence there was a ban.

US Army vehicles are not painted with artwork either... is that banned?

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 am

I imagine it is not a ban, but something cultural: every armed force in the world has a code of discipline and projected image and Soviet/Russian army probably consider this to be foraneous to their traditions. In the 90's there was a boom of artwork on aircraft, with units painting them as they wished, now it is much more standardized with some few and usually discreet art (Tu-160 bombers are named after pilots and aviation engineers, Tu-95MS are named after cities, MiG-29 based in Armenia have been christened with the name of Orthodox saints and spot a modest noseart). But like I said, training and "agressor" units have more visible and flamoyant paintings, exactly so that their aircraft can be more visibly distinct in combat.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:02 am

KomissarBojanchev wrote:It seems extremely strange given that almost all other nations allowed their pilots or squadrons to personalize their planes? Why was this forbidden in the USSR? I know their were exceptions in WW2 with inscriptions  being allowed, but during the cold war this practice completely disappeared. What was the harm in soviet aircraft to  have noseart?

well answer is simple. USSR didnt promote personal ambitions/beliefs but common/peoples ones

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:02 am

Current date/time is Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:02 am