Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #11

JohninMK

Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #11

Post  JohninMK on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Interesting claim from Lost Armour but the link given http://lostarmour.info/offtopic/east/ is in Russian but there looks to be some interesting info there for those of you who speak the lingo.

Wael Al Hussaini‏ @WaelHussaini Jul 10

S-300VM somewhere in #Syria
    CC link on the image.

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Map: The Russian Black Sea Fleet's Permanent Mediterranean Task Force near Syria, as of 13 July 2017 - @TheStudyofWar

https://syria.liveuamap.com/pics/2017/07/14/21494329_0.jpg
    Benya

Post  Benya on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:23 am

Four villages in Idlib reconcile with government: Russian MoD

(TASS) Four settlements in northwestern Syria’s Idlib Governorate have joined ceasefire over the past 24 hours, the Russian Defense Ministry said in its bulletin on Saturday.

“Within last 24 hours, four ceasefire agreements have been signed with representatives of Baraghita, al-Wasita, Rajal, and Tal al-Agar in the Idlib Governorate. Total number of inhabited areas, the leaders of which have signed reconciliation agreements has reached 2,015,” the bulletin said.

The number of armed formations, which have claimed to observe the ceasefire, is 153. Some 65 armed formations of the Syrian opposition have joined the ceasefire since the truce entered into force on December 30, 2016.

Talks on joining the ceasefire continue with field commanders of the armed opposition in the Aleppo, Damascus, Homs, Hama, Homs, and al-Quneitra Governorates.

Within last 24 hours, the Russian party of the Russia-Turkey Commission on violations of the Joint Agreement has registered nine cases in the Damascus and Latakia Governorates. The Turkish party has registered eight cases of ceasefire violations in the Damascus and Daraa Governorates.

Source: Arrow https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/four-villages-idlib-reconcile-government-russian-mod/
    calm

Post  calm on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 pm

RuAF airstrikes aroud Sukhan

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Battered and used gear. What's the sign on the door?

Morant Mathieu‏ @MathieuMorant 1h1 hour ago
    SAA BM-30 / 9A52 Smerch.

0nillie0

Post  0nillie0 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

JohninMK wrote:Battered and used gear. What's the sign on the door?

We have seen a variety of "second hand" vehicles for SAA with VDV markings in the past. I think at least some of these markings are not authentic.

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 pm

0nillie0 wrote:

We have seen a variety of "second hand" vehicles for SAA with VDV markings in the past. I think at least some of these markings are not authentic.
    Would VDV, I assume Russian airborne troops from the sign, have this gear?
    calm

Post  calm on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 pm

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Fuel tankers being the prime targets.
    franco

Post  franco on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    0nillie0 wrote:

Would VDV, I assume Russian airborne troops from the sign, have this gear?

No, too heavy.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 am

Normally I would agree that such vehicles would be too heavy for the VDV, but in Afghanistan the VDV did use some heavier vehicles from memory, including upgraded BMP-2Es because of their better protection and the fact that they did not perform any air assaults with armour except the initial attack in 1979.

Actually to be honest I have not read that much about their operations in Afghanistan... did they have heliborne formations... I don't honestly know.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:59 pm

GarryB wrote:Normally I would agree that such vehicles would be too heavy for the VDV, but in Afghanistan the VDV did use some heavier vehicles from memory, including upgraded BMP-2Es because of their better protection and the fact that they did not perform any air assaults with armour except the initial attack in 1979.

Actually to be honest I have not read that much about their operations in Afghanistan... did they have heliborne formations... I don't honestly know.

They used heliborne but nothing heavier then a Mi-8 to my knowledge. The Mi-26 was developed for this but it only can carry 20t while that Smerch is 44t. Not even sure if either system was used in Afghanistan.

PS; see you elsewhere still trying to educate the masses Smile Hard to fill a closed container No
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am

What I meant was that for airborne operations they need air portable vehicles and equipment, but when they are operating in theatre like Afghanistan, or in this case Syria they often use whatever equipment is there including heavy stuff that could never be air dropped by any means.

I remember seeing BMP-2Es with VDV markings in Afghanistan and I also vaguely remember seeing T-62s with extra armour and VDV symbols in photos that could not and would not be air dropped and would not normally form part of VDV equipment... but as they didn't use their air mobility heavier vehicles were clearly used on occasion.

Just to be clear... Smile

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    calm

Post  calm on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Benya

Post  Benya on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 pm

GarryB wrote:What I meant was that for airborne operations they need air portable vehicles and equipment, but when they are operating in theatre like Afghanistan, or in this case Syria they often use whatever equipment is there including heavy stuff that could never be air dropped by any means.

I remember seeing BMP-2Es with VDV markings in Afghanistan and I also vaguely remember seeing T-62s with extra armour and VDV symbols in photos that could not and would not be air dropped and would not normally form part of VDV equipment... but as they didn't use their air mobility heavier vehicles were clearly used on occasion.

Just to be clear... Smile

Maybe off topic, but... Off Topic

Actually, VDV is consisted of two types of units/formations, airborne and airmobile.

Airborne units are airdropped, they employ paratroopers and BMDs and BTR-Ds, 2S9 Nonas, 2S25 Sprut-SDs and so on, while airmobile units are not airdropped, they are more like regular mechanized infantry units, but they are deployed to combat zones by the use of different air mobility assets like transport helicopters/aircraft, thus they can use heavier equipment like T-72 tanks and BMPs.
    Benya

Post  Benya on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 pm

De-escalation zones to be set up in Homs, East Ghouta, and Idlib – MoD

BEIRUT, LEBANON (8:40 P.M.) – Head of the Main Operational Department of the Russian General Staff Sergei Rudskoi stated that several new de-escalation zones were set to be fully introduced in the future, speaking from a press briefing at the Russian Defence Ministry, in Moscow, Monday.

Rudskoi said that the boundaries of in the zones “to the north of the city of Homs and in the region of East Ghouta” had been defined during the consultations, with the specifications of the a similar zones in Idlib province underway.

He added that in July alone, “Over 2,000 militants were neutralised as well as about 20 tanks and infantry fighting vehicles, more than 40 pickup trucks with large-calibre machine and anti-aircraft guns were destroyed.”

Commenting on the Syrian government forces progress, Rudskoi noted that SAA “took control over the Syrian-Jordanian border in the provinces of Essaouira and Damascus,” adding that “6,500 square kilometres of territory to the east of the ez Zelaf have been cleared of militants.”

Source: Arrow https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/de-escalation-zones-set-homs-east-ghouta-idlib-mod/
    franco

Post  franco on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Two new maps of Syria and who controls what territory. First map is when the Russians arrived and the last map is today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFhDdYmWAAAwQO6.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFhDdYlXoAImqih.jpg
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 am

Your post is more descriptive this way. And really drives the point home:

franco wrote:Two new maps of Syria and who controls what territory. First map is when the Russians arrived and the last map is today.

kvs

Post  kvs on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 am

Yeah, some Russian quagmire it turned out to be.
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 am

kvs wrote:Yeah, some Russian quagmire it turned out to be.    

I've noticed online the lack of the comments on the people harping about "Afghanistan 2.0" for Russia. Guess they couldn't figure out why Russia was so successful here.
    Walther von Oldenburg

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Was there really so little territory under SAA control? The pocket in Homs in particular looks too large.
    franco

Post  franco on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Was there really so little territory under SAA control? The pocket in Homs in particular looks too large.

The West was anticipating Syria would fall by New Years as the Government forces were on the ropes. I too have also read that 19,000 km2 was under Government control when the Russians arrived. No matter how you cut it, quite a change.
    calm

Post  calm on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 pm

Walther von Oldenburg wrote:Was there really so little territory under SAA control? The pocket in Homs in particular looks too large.

No, both maps are wrong.

On that new map, there are no rebel pocket in Qalamoun, Manbij is in SAA hands SAA is in Afrin, east Daara is wrong, no IS/Nusra pockets on Lebanon border. Suwaida is wrong too. They just draw those maps like that.... No
    kvs

Post  kvs on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 am

calm wrote:

No, both maps are wrong.

On that new map, there are no rebel pocket in Qalamoun, Manbij is in SAA hands SAA is in Afrin, east Daara is wrong, no IS/Nusra pockets on Lebanon border. Suwaida is wrong too. They just draw those maps like that....  No

But you are wrong for insinuating that the territorial gains by the SAA between September 2015 and July 2017 are not even worth mentioning.
    calm

Post  calm on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 am

I have posted multiple maps of SAA gains in past 2 years. In my post above i wasn't insinuating anything.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:13 pm