Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Question Thread: Russian Army

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Question Thread: Russian Army

Post  TR1 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:59 am

US has far more precision weaponry in service. It is not even a comparison....

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:04 am

TR1 wrote:US has far more precision weaponry in service. It is not even a comparison....

I never actually seen any numbers on the amount of KAB and Kh weaponry in storage.  I know they love to use dumb bombs as the nation is probably swimming in them, but I never seen any estimates on the guided munitions.  But they have been stockpiling for decades but rarely use them.  So I cannot comment on the number of precision guided munitions in terms of numbers.  But weapons like Iskanders and Tochka's fall under that too and they have far more of these short range BM's than the west.

I remember reading how France had ran out of guided munitions when in the Libya campaign and had to use concrete bombs.

Now with this said, is there any news regarding guided kits for dumb bombs in Russia? I know there was something proposed but never heard beyond that.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:07 am

LOL @ whoever down-voted that.

You have to be utterly delusional to not think the US has a massive lead in precision weapons. Compare the number of Russian precision weapons bought in past few years, to what the US has since the end of the Cold War.
    Tactical Missile corps has published the number of guided weaposn they sold for a number of years. Not impressive numbers by any stretch.

US has far more platforms that can use precision weapons as well.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:09 am

TR1 wrote:LOL @ whoever down-voted that.

You have to be utterly delusional to not think the US has a massive lead in precision weapons. Compare the number of Russian precision weapons bought in past few years, to what the US has since the end of the Cold War.

Well, I didn't do it so doing point at me.

But I am curious about the numbers. Cause KAB series and Kh series have all existed for decades and I imagine the soviet government purchased a ton of them and probably stored them, and now I know recently Russia has been purchasing a lot but curious what the numbers are from the soviet era to now in storage.

And I edited my last post, but I am wondering if you know TR1, but are there any known guidance kits for dumb bombs for Russia? I know something was proposed and shown but heard nothing beyond that.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:14 am

So having more precision bombs is the only factor which makes US army better in quality ? Whqt all precision weapons do they use ?

I guess they are many factors .dunno

I think one reason can be their troops are more battle hardened . Ofcourse they are better compare the deaths of soldiers in Afghan war .

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:15 am

Did not think it was you. I have a cabal of butthurt followers who try to down-vote anything not resembling Russia-strong posts.

USSR never purchased massive precision weapons stocks, not for tactical aircraft. No one really did back then- just look how many guided bombs the US dropped in Desert Storm. A handful of the total. More laser guided, but still.
    Not to mention weapons bought in the 80s....its 2015 now.

Plenty bomb kits shown at exhibits, but to date I have not seen any serial orders for them.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:15 am

max steel wrote:So having more precision bombs is the only factor which makes US army better in quality ? Whqt all precision weapons do they use ?

I guess they are many factors .dunno

I think one reason can be their troops are more battle hardened . Ofcourse they are better compare the deaths of soldiers in Afghan war .

Well, if one is constantly at war with someone, then I suppose they will have a lot more experience, so in that case, it does go to the US for sure. Not sure if that is good though.....

I like the snap drills that Shoygu has pushed. Very useful.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:17 am

TR1 wrote:Did not think it was you. I have a cabal of butthurt followers who try to down-vote anything not resembling Russia-strong posts.

USSR never purchased massive precision weapons stocks, not for tactical aircraft. No one really did back then- just look how many guided bombs the US dropped in Desert Storm. A handful of the total. More laser guided, but still.

Plenty bomb kits shown at exhibits, but to date I have not seen any serial orders for them.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I have not heard a whole heck of a lot regarding the bomb kits. Something like these though could benefit Russia since it seems like Russia has a massive stockpile of dumb bombs. But since the stockpile is high, I imagine many are duds now due to being of old stock. Guided kits for newer dumb bombs could be beneficial. Could you please link me (if you got any) of the kits shown?

Thanks.

higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  higurashihougi on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:45 am

sepheronx wrote:Well, if one is constantly at war with someone, then I suppose they will have a lot more experience, so in that case, it does go to the US for sure.

But it does not go into the head of US weapon making system, which is dominated by oligarchs, lobbyist, addicted gamers, and rabies dogs rather than scientists and technicians.

Proof ? M16.

The harsh truth is that teh US goverment does not wage war to win, but for the oligarchs to make money on blood and flesh of dead people... for example selling overpriced stupid weapons to the army.

TR1 wrote:You have to be utterly delusional to not think the US has a massive lead in precision weapons.

I don't really agree with you, thought. For example Tomahawk BMG-109 using GPS which can be easily jammed, or LRASM / AGM-158 JASSM, a copy of Kh-59 with sextoy GPS guided and camera. Not good weapons for me.

Last edited by higurashihougi on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:57 am

higurashihougi wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Well, if one is constantly at war with someone, then I suppose they will have a lot more experience, so in that case, it does go to the US for sure.

But it does not go into the head of US weapon making system, which is dominated by oligarchs, lobbyist, addicted gamers, and rabies dogs rather than scientists and technicians.

Proof ? M16.

The harsh truth is that teh US goverment does not wage war to win, but for the oligarchs to make money on blood and flesh of dead people... for example selling overpriced stupid weapons to the army.

This was most evident during the Iraq war more so than any other war, through groups like Haliburton and private military companies like Blackwater, Executive Outcomes, etc.  A lot of people became very wealthy during the war.  Then Lockheed obtained many contracts.  After the wars are faught, then the companies get further contracts - Iraq obtaining M1's, sales of F-16's (which they never obtained yet), more M16's and M4's, ammunition, etc.  Lot more money made.  I wouldn't say M16 is a bad rifle as it has its ups as well, but reliability was apparently an issue, but doesn't seem as so much now.  The M4 was a good contribution and models like the Canadian C7 was high quality, but apparently expensive.  That is the major issue of US made military gear vs any other (besides european) is the costs.  M16's, M1's, Bradly's, Humvees, etc are all quite expensive compared to the Russian and Chinese counterpart (AK-74M and newer models/Type 95, T-90A(AM)/Type 98, BTR-82, TigerM, etc) and while there are benefits to one, there are benefits as well to the others.  Worth the price differences though? Probably not since you can get a T-90A for a lot cheaper and AK's are made all over the world with various qualities at various prices, and a humvee was problematic regarding maintenance and protection even during Operation Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom.  Now the company who makes them, HUMMER, is a Chinese company.

Edit: I think TR1 is aiming at the number of guided munitions really. Which may very well be true (I have no numbers so I don't know).

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:28 am

Precision guided weapons are expensive and without the C4IR network to find enemy targets and pass that precise location data to armed assets there is little use for guided weapons.

In the conflicts the Soviet Union and Russia have fought most of the time aircraft like the Su-24 and Su-25 bore the brunt of fighting and often delivered dumb weapons at targets they could see... and were generally quite effective in their role.

Ironically the main precision guided weapon use was AAMs and anti ship missiles and of course strategic land attack cruise missiles that have had money spent on them.

With the introduction of new aircraft and new training aircraft into the Russian AF there were claims that 14 different types of guided weapons have been introduced in numbers.

Now I would speculate that at least 2 of those 14 types were Vikhr ATGMs and Krisantema ATGMs fitted to Ka-52 and Mi-28M attack helos respectively, but that leaves at least 12 weapons entering service in numbers... now that GLONASS works and much more capable aircraft are entering service the Russian military today is vastly more powerful than it was even in the late 1980s.

Sure the US has rather more systems in service to murder people all round the world on the whim of whomever is currently in power, but those drones that are so effective in the third world would be useless in Russian air space, and much of the rest of their forces would likely not perform very well against a much more modern and capable force.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:36 pm

TR1 wrote:Did not think it was you. I have a cabal of butthurt followers who try to down-vote anything not resembling Russia-strong posts.

This exactly is a perception created through the Iraq war propaganda. They filmed only rarely their B-52 Bombing campaigns where they just leveled areas with it old Vietnam style, just ball park figure and start throwing it, but for propaganda purposes they played the same videos over and over again, with some hangars, radars and fortifications how they used precision weapons. Both US and Russia have very thin stock piles of precision weapons for aircraft plattforms (Air-to-Ground). We need direct numbers to compare entire stockpile of bombs and how many of them are actual precision weapons and not some propaganda perception like the same perception they have created with invincible tank here and there, reality is much further away from believes and perceptions.

Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

Russian Ground Forces procurements - 2014 and later

Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 pm

What did Russian Ground Forces get in 2014, what did it get in 2015 and what does it plan to get later? I'm talking about all kinds of equipment from small arms to tanks - modernizations included.

Captain Nemo
    Private
    Private

Ural and Komandirskie

Post  Captain Nemo on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:44 am

Question 1: Are the Ural bikes and/or sidecars still used by the Russian army?

Question 2: Are the Vostok Komandirskie watches still the official watches in the Russian army? Do they have any official army status?

Were they given to officers in the USSR, or did they have to buy them themselves?

Cplnew83
    Private
    Private

Water purification and supply

Post  Cplnew83 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:22 am

Hi gents,

I know the SKO-10 (СКО-10) purification complex, but there is also a mobile bottling complex in service with the Russian armed forces whom I can't any references nor data.
    Has someone got this kind of info ?

Thanks.

EDIT : Found it cheers

http://www.polymerfilter.ru/production/?id=7

atiboss
    Private
    Private

Please help identify this jumpsuit.

Post  atiboss on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:58 pm

What type is this jumpsuit?

Is really russian military coverall?What is the type and year?And where to use this coverall?
    Thanks in advance!

russianrisk
    Private
    Private

Russian Military Energy Consumption

Post  russianrisk on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:48 am

The US Defense Department estimates that its energy usage is at its lowest in 40 years. It releases a report every year on the US military's energy consumption.

I went looking for the Russian military equivalent, but could find absolutely nothing. Can anyone suggest where I would find this? Doing a report on global military energy conservation, and Russia is the 2nd height funded military.

Captain Nemo
    Private
    Private

Post  Captain Nemo on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:46 pm

How good are Russian tanks at firing (and hitting targets) while in movement?

I didn't watch many videos of the sort, but I realized that on those I saw, I never saw a Russian tank firing at a specific target while in movement.
    In all the videos I saw, the tank was immobile, generally stopping for firing, and only then resuming movement...

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:46 am

Current models are able to fire on the move... not just hitting moving ground targets while moving, but also hitting moving aerial targets while moving.

The T-90 has autotracking targeting system and fully stabilised main gun and optics and upgraded T-72s do too.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:51 am

I think firing ATGM while on the move is easier than firing HEAT. Judging by tank biathlon T-72 family can shot ok while on the move

jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Question: How Should Russia Deal With the US "Raid Breaker" Program?

Post  jhelb on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Just like the "Assault Breaker" program of the Cold War era the US military is now working on the RAID BREAKER program

Under this program the US Joint Electronic Warfare Center  intends to neutralize 100s of incoming missiles with Electronic Warfare.

How can Russia respond to such a program?

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:47 pm

I hear over and over how anti missile missile systems are limited in scope and numbers since potential adversaries have an advantage via saturation salvo attack.OK, but that threat is viable for 30 something years (Russians were deploying that tactics since 70-ties with their anti ship missiles) and now all of a sudden they find themselves threatened by the same threat that was there for some time now. Go figure EW is not effective as a deterrence weapon. Deterrence needs effects that can be demonstrated. EW methods cannot be demonstrated because the enemy will learn about them and develop effective countermeasures.

Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Vann7 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:27 am

jhelb wrote:Just like the "Assault Breaker" program of the Cold War era the US military is now working on the RAID BREAKER program

Under this program the US Joint Electronic Warfare Center  intends to neutralize 100s of incoming missiles with Electronic Warfare.

Electronic warfare have limits.. they have a max distance that they can operate.
    Ballistic missiles that comes from near space can fly exactly over their target and have
    optics with target identification and satellite guidance. By the Time the Ballistic missile
    like Iskander or any other enters in the jamming environment range..it will be too late..since the missile will be right above the target its intend to bomb..so the jamming could work in interrupt the guidance but it will be too late. we are speaking of a ballistic missile that could travel in free fall 50km in ~4 second. So it will be jammed for 1 or 2 at best.. and it will be to late.

To counter ballistic Missiles that travel to space and return ,you need very long range
    electronic jamming that can jam satellites in space. Russia is already working on that.
    About RAid breaker.. Russia is not working on something like that. already have it in service.
    their counter electronics have up to 300km range apparently and being used in Syria.
    That said. Russia have in service the capabilities to jam 100 missiles and block its signal.
    and apparently can turn off missiles too.. or make them explode early. So US military is playing
    catchup with Russia in electronic warfare. But eventually they will get there in the future to the level russia is now.. but Russia is now working in space jamming and satellite killing with counter electronics.. something like that will be really game changing. i can't imagine how scary
    and panic will be for US and NATO that Russia develop an Antenna that can shut off in a small time their expensive Gps and spy satellites in space. Basically anyone that control space can defeat the enemy nuclear missiles and cut all their communications and precision weapons.

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:45 am

Assault Breaker is still in US service and you know it with the name AGM-158 JASSM. Now JASSM isn't an issue for Russian Air threat preventing vehicles.

Rest it is meant to release multiple package in order to destroy tank divisions but i guess with T-14 coming it can handle such threats.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:51 am

Under this program the US Joint Electronic Warfare Center intends to neutralize 100s of incoming missiles with Electronic Warfare.

The Russians have already displayed EW systems for interfering with enemy aircraft and weapons... no doubt they have consulted with their own makers of aircraft and weapons even just for testing purposes and have shared information for counter counter measures.

Note phonic systems (ie fibre optics instead of electronics) should be an enormous step forward in rendering EMP weapons impotent...

For every measure there is a countermeasure.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:49 pm

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:49 pm