Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Share

    auslander
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 859
    Points : 913
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  auslander on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:47 am

    Yes, and you used the term 'annexed', which is patently false. I just gave you a tiny spot of truth. There was no annexation, it was the free will of the citizens of Krimea and the Federal City of Sevastopol to quit the coup d'etat installed government of Ukraine after specific threats of extreme violence were promulgated concerning the citizens of Krimea and Sevastopol. We took those threats very seriously, and they were very serious to the point a 'freedom train' was being prepared in Kiev the Monday after the coup to 'go to Krimea and teach those people how to be loyal citizens of Ukraine'.

    Erk
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 473
    Points : 484
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Erk on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:49 am

    auslander wrote:Yes, and you used the term 'annexed', which is patently false. I just gave you a tiny spot of truth. There was no annexation, it was the free will of the citizens of Krimea and the Federal City of Sevastopol to quit the coup d'etat installed government of Ukraine after specific threats of extreme violence were promulgated concerning the citizens of Krimea and Sevastopol. We took those threats very seriously, and they were very serious to the point a 'freedom train' was being prepared in Kiev the Monday after the coup to 'go to Krimea and teach those people how to be loyal citizens of Ukraine'.

    The "annexed" term is used continuously in the western media as a propaganda tool to make it sound like Russia forcefully took Crimea. When in fact Crimea on 11 March 2014 declared it was an independent republic because there was no longer a legitimate government in Ukraine after the coup, then some time later Republic of Crimea held a referendum to decide if the people wanted to join the Russian Federation. On 18 March 2014, the Republic of Crimea signed a treaty of accession to the Russian Federation. Not that is has anything to do with Syria.



    Latest South Front update.

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 440
    Points : 442
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  calm on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:50 pm

    #SAA cut to 2 W #Ghouta Pocket & Khan Shih now sieged from All sides

    zorobabel
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 171
    Points : 171
    Join date : 2015-09-21

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  zorobabel on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:25 pm

    Jihadists have captured Al-Assad suburb in West Aleppo.

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 440
    Points : 442
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  calm on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:47 pm

    338000 civilians are in danger after rebels/Jihadist attack on Hamadaniyah district, W. #Aleppo

    https://twitter.com/warsmonitoring/status/792007471594438656

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1189
    Points : 1207
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:03 pm

    SAA being SAA once again Shocked
    They lost an entire Chistian neighborhood in a matter of hours and all of 1070 district.
    In a city where their opponent has been advertising an attack for weeks.

    They are terrible.

    PS. waiting for the blame to be put on "lack of Russian CAS and selfie sticks"

    Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3221
    Points : 3345
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Vann7 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:24 pm

    Russia is not properly arming the Syrian army to deal against lighting fast attacks of Suicide bombers in armored trucks.  Kornets are not the ideal weapons to deal with this , you need direct fire ,like from tanks armed with computer guided automatic targeting or you need a heavy caliber gatling gun.  A simple Tank fire will have blow out that suicide bomber 5km away , with a direct hit and cut in half the truck. But using stupid Kornets not only are incredibly slow in flying ,takes an eternity for them to reach their target ,but also can miss ,since the same smoke of the missile and the irregular zig zag fly path of the missile ,makes it no ideal for such important targets that you cannot miss.

    For people saying Russia is not to blame for this i disagree.  I saw a video of a Russian attack helicopter guided by lazer ,missing a simple pickup truck traveling at normal speed, with an air to ground anti armor missile. and they had to use like 2 or 3 missiles to finish him. It was very depressing to see the whole video ,how incompetent they were. This is totally ridiculous. This very simple and very lethal tactics of suicide bombers in armored pickup trucks ,have been largely the reason Syrian army lose a territory very fast . They can use a Dozen of suicide bombers or even way more to open a breach any plane. And the Russian Government sits on its hands ,not doing anything to make more efficient the way the Syrian army fight or the way they Russian military fights there. Regular artillery is also not ideal because if miss ,it will raise a lot of dust that will help hide the truck. Russia needs direct heavy caliber fire Fire to deal with fast suicide bombers. A trench to stop in cold any moving vehicles can also do wonders.

    Americans developed high caliber Gatling guns to stop suicide bombers fast attacks. is much better than wait for a kornet an eternity to hit anything.  Russia could also develop lazer weapons or a rail gun that drive projectiles at hypersonic speed and will be faster.  All this mediocre Combat tactics Russia is using ,deserve people to be fired from their job in the Russian army. No only Syrian army in 5 years of war ,have been unable to adapt to this type of warfare ,but also the Russian Airforce have failed miserably to adapt too. based on the video i saw of a failing kornet of a Russian hellicopter on a pickup truck. and based on another video that shows how one Russian soldier was killed. The soldier was firing with guess what? with a regular ak-74 rifle at a reinforced armored suicide bomber pickup truck. with a Syrian T-62 tank with manual aiming ,trying to hit the advancing suicide bomber but missing. It was a total scene of Amateurs ,the whole thing ,using the most idiotic tactics ,to counter very fast suicide bomber,fully armed to the teeth with TNT. I can't believe why the Russian military does not ban the use of Kornets for everything and do more thinking into the way they fight.





    Last edited by Vann7 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1189
    Points : 1207
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:30 pm

    ^^ No excuses. A few SVBIEDS are akin to be on the receiving end of 1,000 or 2,000 lb bombs in an urban area. 5 or 6 or 10 of them exploding does not automatically mean an entire friendly neighborhood is lost. Add to that the fact that the assault and its direction were expected and known.

    SAA lacks both the numbers and quality to deal with very simple assault scenaria.

    Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3221
    Points : 3345
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Vann7 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:49 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:^^ No excuses. A few SVBIEDS are akin to be on the receiving end of 1,000 or 2,000 lb bombs in an urban area. 5 or 6 or 10 of them exploding does not automatically mean an entire friendly neighborhood is lost. Add to that the fact that the assault and its direction were expected and known.

    SAA lacks both the numbers and quality to deal with very simple assault scenaria.

    Russia neither use Attack Drones ,which could have totally obliterated their enemies, because they are very silent, difficult to target by most manpads for its very low heat signature and does not reveal their presence in air as easy like a turbine jets can do. So many things Russia can do ,but it continues fighting terrorist in the most difficult and inefficient way. i reach the conclusion Russia military is not designed to fight very fast mobile terrorist at close range ,but large range fights. at close range ,It rely too much in shoulder fired slow and not very precise weapons. . Russian tactics will work well against NATO but not so good against terrorist ,that do not mind dying and attach a bomb to their ass and charge into their positions. Iranian have attack drones ,but their bombs are unguided and not very precise. Perhaps Russia will have to invest more in attack drones ,because they are having too much problems into countering terrorist.


    Last edited by Vann7 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1189
    Points : 1207
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:51 pm

    Vann7 wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:^^ No excuses. A few SVBIEDS are akin to be on the receiving end of 1,000 or 2,000 lb bombs in an urban area. 5 or 6 or 10 of them exploding does not automatically mean an entire friendly neighborhood is lost. Add to that the fact that the assault and its direction were expected and known.

    SAA lacks both the numbers and quality to deal with very simple assault scenaria.

    Russia neither use Attack Drones ,which could have totally obliterated their enemies, because they are very silent, difficult to target by most manpads for its very low heat signature and does not reveal their presence in air as easy like a turbine jets can do. So many things Russia can do ,but it continues fighting terrorist in the most difficult and inefficient way. i reach the conclusion Russia military is not designed to fight very fast mobile combat at very close range ,but large range. That will work well against NATO but not so good against terrorist ,that do not mind dying and attach a bomb to their ass and charge into their positions.




    Fighting somebody else's war is setting yourself to loose it. Russian are doing enough as it is. SAA is not pulling its weight at all.
    These are loyalist areas the insurgents never set foot since the start of this war.  Rolling Eyes


    Vann7
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3221
    Points : 3345
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Vann7 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:59 pm



    4 suicide bombers breach into Syria defensive lines..
    and the most saddest thing is that they were aware of the attack
    was about to happen. No


    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/islamist-suicide-bombers-burst-open-syrian-armys-defences-west-aleppo/





    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1189
    Points : 1207
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:13 pm

    AFP news agencyVerified account
    ‏@AFP
    #BREAKING Putin says 'not right time' to resume Aleppo strikes: Kremlin

    storm333
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 36
    Points : 40
    Join date : 2016-08-31

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  storm333 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 pm

    Vann7 wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:^^ No excuses. A few SVBIEDS are akin to be on the receiving end of 1,000 or 2,000 lb bombs in an urban area. 5 or 6 or 10 of them exploding does not automatically mean an entire friendly neighborhood is lost. Add to that the fact that the assault and its direction were expected and known.

    SAA lacks both the numbers and quality to deal with very simple assault scenaria.

    Russia neither use Attack Drones ,which could have totally obliterated their enemies, because they are very silent, difficult to target by most manpads for its very low heat signature and does not reveal their presence in air as easy like a turbine jets can do. So many things Russia can do ,but it continues fighting terrorist in the most difficult and inefficient way. i reach the conclusion Russia military is not designed to fight very fast mobile terrorist at close range ,but large range fights. at close range ,It rely too much in shoulder fired slow and not very precise weapons. . Russian tactics  will work well against NATO but not so good against terrorist ,that do not mind dying and attach a bomb to their ass and charge into their positions. Iranian have attack drones ,but their bombs are unguided and not very precise. Perhaps Russia will have to invest more in attack drones ,because they are having too much problems into countering terrorist.

    Iran does possess UCAV. A good example is the Shahed 129 which weapons payload is the Sadid-1 missile. They probably use unguided munitions as well. However GCHQ specialist in the JSOC and CIA operations center in Ebril was able to decrypt Iranian drones video feeds, so they are able to monitor the targets of the drones.



    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 440
    Points : 442
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  calm on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:18 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:SAA being SAA once again Shocked
    They lost an entire Chistian neighborhood in a matter of hours and all of 1070 district.
    In a city where their opponent has been advertising an attack for weeks.
    They are terrible.
    PS. waiting for the blame to be put on "lack of Russian CAS and selfie sticks"

    What is motto of SAA? "Fuck it up and let tiger fix it" ? why is it so hard to prepare ATGMs and half-decent defenses for SAA?
    https://twitter.com/001_Konrad117/status/791999577499004928



    Peskov: Despite the request of the General Staff, #Putin believes it is now inappropriate to the resume air strikes on #Aleppo #Syria

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 440
    Points : 442
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  calm on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:26 pm

    Vann7 wrote:Russia is not properly arming the Syrian army to deal against lighting fast attacks of Suicide bombers in armored trucks.

    lighting fast buldozers on tracks - 10km/h


    And tank



    And then, on captured checkpoint terrorist found this in the basement...


    Little reminder

    In this photo published Oct 25, you can see the anticipated jihadist attack on W #Aleppo in the background, which looks something like this



    Skandalwitwe
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 21
    Points : 23
    Join date : 2016-10-22
    Location : beer breweries are numerous here

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Skandalwitwe on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:46 pm

    Only the Syrian side be it civilian or military high brass has to be blamed...after 5 1/2 years they are still handling the mess like a minor rebellion. They lack the will to conscript, train and equip the necessary numbers to bolster the ranks of SAA and NDF to the level needed. And don't bring that crap argument of "Alawis and other minorities are bleeding out and Sunnis can't be trusted because they are always deserting." The losses im manpower over those long years are moderate at best considering the endless stream of blunders on SAA side.

    West Aleppo again...well it harbors a population of at least 1.2 million, certainly considerably more because of many refugees from the eastern part. More than enough to send several 10k grunts into the SAA ranks or NDF...eventually it's their own city shelled on daily basis. But no we let foreigners doing the much fighting and and if the shyte hits the fan we're packing our bags and fleeing like güp-sies to another still safe neighbourhood.

    Well at least at other theaters of that war SAA is doing better...Rif al-Dimashq governorate is largely decontaminated to name one example. But that doesn't change the fact that the SAA has to undergo deep reforms to transform it into a force well-suited for that kind of war. I'm not talking about un-needed fancy stuff. Promote capable commanders to higher ranks, weed out the corrupt and incompetent (or execute them when failing repeatedly or grossly). Bring in some barrier troops if needed. Hezbollah would be more useful in training big numbers of green Syrian boys to a better overall level than wasting their own rather limited manpower in costly operations.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3659
    Points : 3771
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 pm


    Idiots every last one of them.

    I say hold the airstrikes until Selfie Army fixes this fuckup.

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1189
    Points : 1207
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:00 pm

    Ru embassy got shelled in Damascus and Russia issued this statement:

    Sputnik ‏@SputnikInt  11m11 minutes ago
    Moscow will monitor int’l response to Russ Embassy attack to see which ‘[foreign] partners justify terrorism' http://sptnkne.ws/c8pp  #Syria

    Sounds like the Su-34s are taking off.

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Idiots every last one of them.

    I say hold the airstrikes until Selfie Army fixes this fuckup.

    +1

    The insurgents seem to be overrunning simple roads and checkpoints. No footage from their side shows breaching any complex SAA fortifications or trenches. No barbed wire, no mines or fences.

    zorobabel
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 171
    Points : 171
    Join date : 2015-09-21

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  zorobabel on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:14 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Idiots every last one of them.

    I say hold the airstrikes until Selfie Army fixes this fuckup.
    I agree. The rebels had been talking about this for weeks, and they had plenty of time to prepare. They knew where they were going to hit. They were given good weapons. And their primary line of defense fell in, what, an hour or two in an urban area?

    They don't need airstrikes. If there really are 500,000+ civilians in West Aleppo, that means 100,000 fighting age men. Give them AKs and Mosin-Nagants.

    Skandalwitwe wrote:Well at least at other theaters of that war SAA is doing better...Rif al-Dimashq governorate is largely decontaminated to name one example. But that doesn't change the fact that the SAA has to undergo deep reforms to transform it into a force well-suited for that kind of war. I'm not talking about un-needed fancy stuff. Promote capable commanders to higher ranks, weed out the corrupt and incompetent (or execute them when failing repeatedly or grossly). Bring in some barrier troops if needed. Hezbollah would be more useful in training big numbers of green Syrian boys to a better overall level than wasting their own rather limited manpower in costly operations.
    I honestly believe there is no way that Syria will not be partitioned if the performance of the Syrian armed forces does not increase dramatically and soon.


    Last edited by zorobabel on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

    zorobabel
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 171
    Points : 171
    Join date : 2015-09-21

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  zorobabel on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:30 pm

    According to Leith, the jihadists have entered the 3000 Housing Project: https://twitter.com/leithfadel/status/792043449587335168

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1189
    Points : 1207
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:59 pm

    zorobabel wrote:According to Leith, the jihadists have entered the 3000 Housing Project: https://twitter.com/leithfadel/status/792043449587335168

    They entered it a few hours ago.

    Concerning the Syrian citizens, it seems Assad prefers not to displease them rather than enforce conscription on them and their sons/daughters. This results in huge chucks of urban areas being impartial to this war.

    Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 894
    Points : 951
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 25
    Location : Oldenburg

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:12 pm

    Guys - creating a huge army costs money. A lot of it. Troops need to be first trained, then paid, fed and resupplied continuosuly.

    Syria does not need hordes of militiamen. It needs a well trained core of mechanized troops that are able to move quickly and then provide overwhelming firepower to break the enemy and then move somewhere else if needed.

    When war broke out, SAA wasn't a meritocratic army by any standards. It was an army where some cousin's uncles were promoted to high ranks regardless of their martial and managerial prowness. How did all of this impact SAA capabilitoes?

    Airman
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 139
    Points : 163
    Join date : 2016-10-15
    Location : Republic of Turkey

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Airman on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:42 pm

    Walther von Oldenburg wrote:
    Syria does not need hordes of militiamen. It needs a well trained core of mechanized troops that are able to move quickly and then provide overwhelming firepower to break the enemy and then move somewhere else if needed.

    SAA already has a well-trained soldiers called "Tiger Force". Apparently, Tiger Forces aren't enough to defend Aleppo City.

    Edit: or Tiger Forces doesnt fight in Aleppo.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3659
    Points : 3771
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:25 pm

    Airman wrote:.........

    SAA already has a well-trained soldiers called "Tiger Force". Apparently, Tiger Forces aren't enough to defend Aleppo City.

    Edit: or Tiger Forces doesnt fight in Aleppo.

    Can you blame them? I mean just look at those morons up there, who would want to fight alongside them?

    Walther von Oldenburg
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 894
    Points : 951
    Join date : 2015-01-23
    Age : 25
    Location : Oldenburg

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Walther von Oldenburg on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:30 pm

    It is too small.

    SAA is already faire large - about 250,000 people if we include the NDF. Only a small part of this force takes part in offensive operations - the 4th Mechanized Division, the Republican Guard, Tiger Forces and that's it, the rest are defence troops, guarding government areas.

    Shouldn't an effort be made to strengthen those standing formations rather than creating conscript units of limited combat strength?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #10

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:16 pm


      Current date/time is Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:16 pm