Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+32
flamming_python
Scorpius
Russian_Patriot_
Kiko
SeigSoloyvov
PapaDragon
PhSt
Hole
JohninMK
calripson
The-thing-next-door
Regular
kvs
Nibiru
dino00
Austin
Firebird
miketheterrible
GunshipDemocracy
magnumcromagnon
Book.
Kyo
zepia
GarryB
Project Canada
Werewolf
George1
Mike E
sepheronx
Viktor
BlackArrow
nemrod
36 posters

Russian Internet-related services and products

nemrod
    nemrod

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Russian Internet-related services and products

Post  nemrod Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/11/us-russia-internet-sputnik-idUSBRE99A0BI20131011

Very good news, I fed up with Google, and US hegemonic position in Internet.
    As I said, in previous message, following the Brics decision to deploy a cable between them, and independant from US technology, it was following by new steps, and a fair search engine, is a good beginning in order to cancel US cumbersome position.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Re: Russian Internet-related services and products

Post  Viktor Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Yandex is also good search engine.
    BlackArrow
    BlackArrow

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Re: Russian Internet-related services and products

Post  BlackArrow Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Viktor wrote:Yandex is also good search engine.
    And rambler.ru, and mail.ru.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty New internet search engine "Sputnik" launched in beta version

Post  Viktor Thu May 22, 2014 4:09 pm

New internet search engine "Sputnik" launched in beta version  thumbsup 

"Rostelecom" has launched a beta version of Internet search engine "Sputnik"
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 am

MTS launched in Khakassia first 4G network
    The company "Mobile TeleSystems" (MTS) has announced the commercial launch of the network 4G (LTE) in the Republic of Khakassia. Developing a network of "fourth generation" will allow MTS to provide an opportunity to use high speed data services via smartphones, tablets, modems or routers at speeds up to 75 Mbit / s.
    To date, the 4G network is deployed in the four largest cities of the country - in Abakan, Sayanogorsk Montenegrin as well as the village of Ust-Abakan. In Abakan network "fourth generation" MTS operates in all areas, including in the private sector - the Red Abakan Harbor Legmash, hotspots - Park Gardens dreams, Inspiration, Victory Park, Montenegrin and Transfiguration park, the shopping center of the field, in Khakassia State University and elsewhere.
    "Today MTS 3G network is available to over 96% of the population of the Republic of Khakassia. However, only in the last year the volume of traffic on the network downloaded MTS increased 2.5 times. To meet user demand for advanced internet services, a logical step for MTS was the launch of the LTE 4G network in the region. Until the end of the year, we plan to provide 4G network and residents claim Askiz White yar, so the most modern telecommunications services will be available to more than 55% of the population. We pay special attention to this region and because of the first operators started to provide here 4G-services " , - said the director of MTS in the Republic of Khakassia Gregory Chernov.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:59 am

The Internet of Things is coming to Russia

The Internet of Things, an interaction of devices, systems and services with millions of other such “things,” is being developed in Russia. A new cloud service, GO+, is aiming to grab a significant share of this new and emerging market.

“For example, let’s say you want the coffee machine to prepare a hot coffee for you when you enter the office,” Alexander Grankin, co-founder of GO+ explains. “It will determine your location using a GPS tracker. Then you’ll get a fitness bracelet like the Jawbone, and the coffee machine will, for example, be able to make your coffee with the wave of your hand.” According to Grankin, everything started with a project involving the development of GPS and geolocation services. At that time it was called machine to machine (M2M) because it was based on transferring data between sensors from one machine to another. 

Who will dominate this market?

At its core, GO+ utilizes the architectural concept of the social network. The user adds devices and can give other users access to their data. The user does not have to have a single real device, but can be signed on to hundreds of others in his or her social environment, such as weather stations, transport trackers, air conditioners and video cameras. With this concept, a person can come to a café, sign on to an air conditioner in their GO+ profile and operate it. Internet services such as Twitter and fitness apps like Moves also fit into the IoT concept. For example, if Twitter and a GPS navigator were joined up, it could automatically broadcast data on the user’s travel directly to their Twitter feed. Many large companies are procuring solutions in order to combine “things” with the Internet. Google, for example, recently bought Nest Labs, which produces sensors for “smart houses.” “It is possible that the major brands are planning to take over the market this way, so that later they can combine all of the vertical solutions they bought up into one horizontal one,” Grankin says. “Big corporations are preparing to pounce so they can occupy leading positions, because there isn’t a leader on the global market for the IoT yet.”

Vadim Chekletsov, Director of the IoT Russian Research Center and member of the Scientific Council of the Russia 2045 Initiative 

The GO+ project is one of the few solutions in the IoT field that has great potential on the international market. This IoT platform, which is convenient and, most importantly, compatible with many standards, is the basis of the coming era of interconnectivity among the objects of the world. GO+’s advantage lies in its unique social network architecture and its capability to connect with any type of device. Another IoT platform is being developed in Russia called Commandspot, which possesses unique and competitive advantages. Despite the fact that IT giants like Apple, Samsung and Google have greater opportunities to promote their IoT platforms by preinstalling them on their devices and integrating them into their products, small platforms can certainly find their niche.

Oleg Syutin, IT expert, Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) 

There will be 50 billion smart devices in the world by 2020. The Internet of Things has the attention of most technology companies – both giants like Google, Microsoft, Intel, and Qualcomm, as well as start-ups. This niche provides an excellent opportunity for budding companies. The potential is enormous. For example, Jasper, an American IoT platform developer, got more than $1 billion during its initial public offering. 

Today GO+’s aim is to create protocols for direct interaction among smart devices. A lot of development is under way in open source communities such as OpenHub, HomeSeer, and Connect2.me, as well as in large company alliances like AllSeen Alliance. But some challenges cannot be tackled in isolation. That’s why I like the idea of a platform that ensures cross-platformality. At this point, the security and reliability of inter-machine interaction is not being questioned very widely. I believe that interesting technological concepts in that direction will be in great demand.

- http://rbth.com/science_and_tech/2014/09/22/the_internet_of_things_is_coming_to_russia_39989.html
    George1
    George1

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Russian Post goes online, VKontakte plans to enter the international IT-market

Post  George1 Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:34 am

Russian Post goes online, VKontakte plans to enter the international IT-market
    nemrod
    nemrod

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Very Good news for us: A new independant wikipedia implemented by Russia

Post  nemrod Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 pm

I was reluctant to post that topic into Russia affaires, as it concerned the world wide, and especially a direct rival to wikipedia. I've been regularly complaining about wikipedia, and its pretended impartiallaty. Just a couple of minutes before I learned this news, I was about to post a new topic about the battle of Phase Line Bullet, and the strange US ' assertions in particular regarding the US arguments concenring M1 Abrams that would destroyed several T-72, against 0 tanks losses for US.

Immediatly, after the news, US and western leaders enraged
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/17/putinpedia-russia-will-create-alternative-to-wikipedia-amid-putin-internet-crackdown/
    They called it PutinPedia. Putinpedia ? Why ? Is Wikipedia objectiv ? I and my friends often complaining about the politics of Wikipedia.
    Now, we will a true reference about recent/old/present/future events, more neutral point of views rather than the only one POV of Wikipedia.

Its name will be Citizendium.

Very, very good news for us all. Thx Russia.

PS: Undoubtly, other projects will be implement next by Russia, China, Brasil, India concerning the Internet. 2015 will be the beginning of the end for US empire, begining with their soft power as wikipedia is ones.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Very Good news for us: A new independant wikipedia implemented by Russia

Post  Werewolf Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Well lets hope that it will not have easy access for writing crap or editing articles like it is the case with wikipedia which is the reason it is so often abused.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:05 am

Russian Telecom Ministry Suggests Switching to Domestic Internet Domains

Russia's Telecom and Mass Communications Ministry says that it is suggesting that legal entities switch to domestic internet domains in order to avoid the unilateral termination of functioning of Russian Internet domain names which are registered abroad that may result from US anti-Russia sanctions targeting Crimea.

MOSCOW, January 31 (Sputnik) — Russian Telecom and Mass Communications Ministry have suggested legal entities and individuals to consider registration or transfer of their Internet domains to Russian registrar companies, in a statement on Friday.

The suggestion comes to avoid unilateral termination of functioning of Russian Internet domain names registered abroad due to US anti-Russia sanctions targeting Crimea, the Ministry said.

Russian users have been receiving notifications of possible suspension of the Internet domain names service from foreign registrar companies lately, according to the Ministry.

Several major US companies have already ceased business activities in Crimea because of an order issued by US President Barack Obama on December 19, 2014. The order said that US companies must stop supplying products and services to Crimea by February 1, 2015.

The restrictions specifically targeting Crimea were imposed by Western countries after Crimea's reunification with Russia in March 2014.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150131/1017579503.html#ixzz3QO7ZQ8uy
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi, I dont know if there is a dedicated thread around here for Russian IT so I just decided to post this here

I'm tired of using Google Chrome everytime I browse the internet, at first its fast but now the speed is so crappy and there is even a point where my laptop said its running very low on memory even when Im just running Chrome the whole time with no other apps active. Is there any Russian browsers that I can try? I might switch to Firefox, but Im curious if Russia has some interesting browsers to offer russia
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:40 am

I use Firefox and I do like the way it works... it occasionally crashes but tends to recover nicely allowing all the tabs that were open to be reopened after a crash.

I also like the new tabs opening with thumbnails of recently opened pages so I can open a new tab and click on the thumbnail for this forum easily enough.

One other browser I used for a bit was called Torch... it was obviously free and seemed to be rather good. I didn't use it long enough to find out if if slowed down over time as all my bookmarks were in firefox so I went back... creature of habit... Smile

Torch is here:

http://www.torchbrowser.com/
    zepia
    zepia

Post  zepia Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Yandex make a decent browser but still based on google chrome.
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:59 pm

zepia wrote:Yandex make a decent browser but still based on google chrome.

Yandex uses code from both Chrome and Opera browsers.  I use Yandex browser as I am supporting Russian companies as best as I can.  It is a pretty darn good browser too, far speedier than chrome (due to Opera's coding) and its interface is great thanks to Chrome.

I also use Yandex mail and find it far easier to use as it has a very good interface and an easy drag and drop system.

also comes with a pre-installed ad blocker.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:06 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    zepia wrote:Yandex make a decent browser but still based on google chrome.

Yandex uses code from both Chrome and Opera browsers.  I use Yandex browser as I am supporting Russian companies as best as I can.  It is a pretty darn good browser too, far speedier than chrome (due to Opera's coding) and its interface is great thanks to Chrome.

I also use Yandex mail and find it far easier to use as it has a very good interface and an easy drag and drop system.

also comes with a pre-installed ad blocker.

Got now yandex browser, seems better or on par with firefox. Like the layout and the basic functions that are better embedded into the browser like the security and filter addons to avoid spam, auto linking to other sides and other stuff, better than in firefox.

Yota Devices intends to begin production in Kaluga

Apparently, the phones will be a secure type phone, meant for all types really (but there is a huge demand for government and enterprise needs). So they will end up opening a plant to produce them in Russia for that. They will be expensive, but specialized.

Need a new phone since my current one is broken and i have to use my 11 year old one right now, bit archaic but works like its first day. However thought for weeks to get a Yotaphone but i find those smartphones are to expensive and Yotaphone 2 is nowhere in my budget with 600 euro's, thought maybe to import it from Russia could end up being cheaper if i somehow can get it that way and avoid ordering it for german prices?

Maybe someone has better grasp of that and how to get one for russian price?
    George1
    George1

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Russian multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products

Post  George1 Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm

China's Xinhua news agency opens official page on Russia’s largest social network

ST. PETERSBURG, September 2. /TASS/. China’s official news agency Xinhua has launched its official page on Russia’s most popular social networking site,Vkontakte, the site's spokesman said on Wednesday.

"Xinhua is one of the world’s leading news agencies so we were happy with the arrival of the official page," Georgy Lobushkin said. "Vkontakte has already started joint work with Chinese colleagues."

"We hope the Xinhua New community will let Russian Internet users access news about China and important international events," Xinhua said on its Vkontakte page, which already has some 6,000 followers.
    Kyo
    Kyo

Post  Kyo Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:29 pm

Yandex has become the primary search engine for devices running Windows 10
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:56 pm

Kyo wrote:Yandex has become the primary search engine for devices running Windows 10

My comment on the site:

There seems to be plenty of Russian OS's based on Linux:

Synergy is being developed by Russian railways and Rosatom: marchmontnews.com/Technology-Innovation/Volga/20881-Russias-own-operating-system-expected-%E2%80%98oust-Windows.html
    OS Phantom: dz.ru/en/solutions/phantom/
    OS Elbrus: elbrus2k.wikidot.com/elbrus-operating-system
    ROSALab: www.rosalab.com/
    Linux ALT: www.altlinux.ru/
    The problem seems to be that everyone is trying to create their own OS and no one is really working together to build an OS That can be used on all systems. People at ALT Linux should be working to make their OS compatable with Elbrus CPU and work with ROSA to make the enterprise variant. Combine resources and knowledge will help in developing a desktop and software needed that all industries and institutions in Russia could use. Make it cheap enough that everyone would buy (lets say for $ 10) and work with enterprises to build the software they need that is specialized for them.

Also get someone like mail.ru and 1C involved to make it compatible with video games and what not. This is how you will create a OS That will work.

Alternative option is choose which one of these developers is the better one (Most likely between ROSA or ALT) and give them a massive grant to work on further developing their OS, make it far easier for support for Russian hardware (MCST or Baikal) and far more support in drivers and software development.

This is in reference to them asking when Russia will have their own OS.

I say Russia already has them, and Phantom being the only one different than the rest (being equivalent to maybe OSX). But it seems that there are way too many developers of it and no one is really pushing for their use. ROSA enterprise looks interesting though.
    Book.
    Book.

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Ru linux OS

Post  Book. Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:57 pm

LLC NTC IT ROSA is a Russian software development company since 2012. The lineup of our products include free Open Source distributives as well as commercial Open Source distros. We work on desktop and server solutions, mobile and embedded systems as well as cloud service deployment and infrastructural service deployment systems.

ROSA cooperates with hardware manufacturers, systems integrators and hardware/software integrated solutions developers. Feel free to contact us.

http://en.rosalinux.com/

Ru linux OS study
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Russian Internet-related services and products

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 am

Nothing is made in Russia, because there is the brain drain:

In Russia, the first network will be a quantum Internet
    Project Canada

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Russia to create its own Wikipedia

Post  Project Canada Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 pm

not sure if its the right thread to post this but anyways

Russia to create its own Wikipedia

The Russian government will develop a domestic analogue of Wikipedia on the basis of the Great Russian Encyclopedia and other Russian scientific books, a document signed by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said. The document was published on the website of legal information.

A special committee will supervise the implementation of the project. The committee includes Deputy Minister of Communications and Mass Media Alexei Volin, representatives of the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Culture and the Russian Academy of Sciences. Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Prikhodko will chair the committee.

The document states that "the national scientific and educational interactive encyclopedic portal" is to be developed on the basis of the electronic version of "Great Soviet Encyclopedia" and other Russian scientific encyclopedias.

http://www.pravdareport.com/news/russia/kremlin/30-08-2016/135466-russia_wikipedia-0/

Its been first reported in 2014, one would think alot has already been done to implement this project but it seems its still on the planning stage despite all the time that has passed since the project was conceived.

GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Post  GunshipDemocracy Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:05 am

Militarov wrote:

http://astra-linux.ru

Linux can be turned into fortress, its used by US Navy, US Army, National Guard, White House, German gov, Chinese supercomputers run on it, French police, NASA, CERN...

White House or US army have noo fears form NSA but Russia & China should. Os for Russia must be developed only by own resources. Kaspersky/Yandex/dr.Web could join consortium. Can have linux emulators/containers but noeve based on code developed under US authorities.

Open-BSD has FBI backdoors installed says IDG
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63067

Linux.BackDoor.Gates.5
    https://vms.drweb.ru/virus/?i=3942018

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Yandex has become the primary search engine for devices running Windows 10

Post  miketheterrible Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 am

Rosa linux is used by Russian authorities and various bodies. A fairly large and powerful Linux is.
    Project Canada

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Online stores in Russia

Post  Project Canada Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi gents, im thinking of sending a gift to my Russian friend who lives in Vladivostok, i plan on buying her some electronic stuff and I figured it would be cheaper to buy from a Russian online store and just have it shipped to her address than buying it here in Canada and mailing it all the way over there. 

Any suggestions on what online Russian electronics store i can place my order? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Firebird

Russian Internet-related services and products Empty Erm.. act with real caution. : ) )

Post  Firebird Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:38 pm

Project Canada wrote:Hi gents, im thinking of sending a gift to my Russian friend who lives in Vladivostok, i plan on buying her some electronic stuff and I figured it would be cheaper to buy from a Russian online store and just have it shipped to her address than buying it here in Canada and mailing it all the way over there. 

Any suggestions on what online Russian electronics store i can place my order? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1)
    Well in the recent past it was difficult.
    Ozon is/was considered Russia's Amazon. But placing an order there as a foreign citizen seems to be nigh on impossible. Russia has its own Amazon now. I don't know how feasible that is.

Alternatively you could use a nearby Amazon eg Germany and confirm they guarantee delivery ie getting past shitty customs agents. (You also have a potential import duty hassle!).

Top online stores 2016
    https://ecommercenews.eu/100-biggest-online-stores-russia/

You may be better sending money to a friend of your friend to arrange this.
    Otherwise the whole transaction could fuck up leaving you with big import duties or some other hassle. However, my view would be.. hesitate full stop.

2)
    I'm not sure what the status of your friendship is with this.. friend.
    Anyway, something I've observed with Russian women. I've dated them from where I live in England. And some of my friends have done the distance friendship thing.

Ru women are sweet, affable, girlish, say all the right things. Look and act all pure and innocent. Often giving it the "devout Christian" routine.
    BUT they're also fickle, ultra-flakey, insincere, two faced, dishonest, agenda driven and disloyal. And various other things. This is aside from the "professional/semi pro scammers" that some people come across. Even "non scammers" get a nice little side income from it all - even frequenting military type forums!

Thats not me being "waycist" or anything. I'm half Russia. And when Russian women are good, they are brilliant... WHILE they are good!

Do you think your friend will still be as friendly after she announces her engagement to some local guy etc? Even if your intentions are wholly platonic throughout. Generally speaking, you wouldn't see her for dust.

My view is give your gift to your Russian friend the next time you see her.
    Assuming everything else is right.

PS Vladivostock? Owwch!Thats a distance. Are you West or Eastern Canada?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am