Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Share
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1815
    Points : 1966
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  TheArmenian on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 am

    Videos from the manufacturer



    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11915
    Points : 12390
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:22 pm

    Fresh img of OTs-129. Interesting semi-auto marksman/sniper rifle by TsKIB SOO(of KBP).
    1st presented last May at Law Enforcement Advanced Tech Day. Seems Western/reminds of SR-25:upper&lower receiver.;appears direct impingement(!?);apparently extensive use of alum;10-rd 7.62x51 mag



    https://twitter.com/Russian_Defence/status/989814916243689472


    This seems to be an experimental short barrel variant of ZiD's ASVK-M (6V7M).Could be chambered for .338 Lapua Magnum(?) cartridge - which is quite popular with Russian snipers & marksman. Also note what appears to be a Steyr SSG 08 / Elite 08 bipod.



    https://twitter.com/Russian_Defence/status/989821062350278662

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11915
    Points : 12390
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:21 pm

    A combat variant prototype of Orsis K-15 Brat with a burst mode in 7.62 x 51 mm. Reminds of FN SCAR- looks, calibre & system wise - most likely features a short-stroke gas piston & gas regulator.Probably intended for export market but might find its way into some spetsnaz units.



    https://twitter.com/Russian_Defence/status/990195885907816448

    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 3126
    Points : 3168
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 76
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:29 pm

    George1 wrote:A combat variant prototype of Orsis K-15 Brat with a burst mode in 7.62 x 51 mm. Reminds of FN SCAR- looks, calibre & system wise - most likely features a short-stroke gas piston & gas regulator.Probably intended for export market but might find its way into some spetsnaz units.



    https://twitter.com/Russian_Defence/status/990195885907816448


    Looks cool welcome welcome welcome but I wonder why still 7,62 in NATO not better Lapua Magnum? higher energy/range.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18090
    Points : 18650
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Tue May 01, 2018 11:03 am

    Likely for export.

    Want them to come out with a replacement round for the 7.62 x 54mm... something like the 6x49mm or something newer...
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 3126
    Points : 3168
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 76
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue May 01, 2018 1:32 pm

    GarryB wrote:Likely for export.

    Want them to come out with a replacement round for the 7.62 x 54mm... something like the 6x49mm or something newer...

    6x49mm I've read recently (not bookmarked the source tho Sad ) that in US there is discussion that 6x45mm is much better then Grendel in terms of terminal energy not to mention universality for LMGs and flat trajectory.
    7.62×35mm
    BTW there were lotsa discussions that 7,62x39mm is old Soviet crap and now in US they "discovered" 0.3 blackout 7,62x35mm

    Waht Russians could to is to play with ballistic coefficient and lower a bit weight of bullet so terminal energy is at least the sam eand trajectory flatter for longer distance. Not to mention costs saving to keep millions of AK chambered 7,62x39 as perspective weapons Smile

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout






    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5964
    Points : 5993
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Militarov on Tue May 01, 2018 2:09 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    6x49mm I've read recently (not bookmarked the source tho Sad  ) that in US  there is discussion that 6x45mm is much better then Grendel in terms of terminal energy not to mention universality for LMGs and  flat trajectory.
    7.62×35mm
    BTW there were lotsa discussions that 7,62x39mm is old Soviet crap and now in US they "discovered" 0.3 blackout  7,62x35mm

    Waht Russians could to is to play with ballistic coefficient and lower a bit weight of bullet so terminal energy is at least the sam eand trajectory flatter for longer distance. Not to mention costs saving to keep millions of AK chambered 7,62x39  as perspective weapons Smile

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout




    And some quality control too to be honest.

    https://warhead.su/2018/04/26/luchshie-v-mire-chto-ne-tak-s-rossiyskimi-patronami

    I got box of 7,62x54R "Extra" last year from Novosibirsk ammo factory in one shop here (on my genuine suprise its available), and it was quite shubby, actually quite horrid compared to Serbian PPU and Winchester i mostly buy. Box contained 20, one failed for unknown reasons, one was "delaborated" by the loading mechanism of Izmash "Tiger" carabine.
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3982
    Points : 3999
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    6x49mm I've read recently (not bookmarked the source tho Sad  ) that in US  there is discussion that 6x45mm is much better then Grendel in terms of terminal energy not to mention universality for LMGs and  flat trajectory.
    7.62×35mm
    BTW there were lotsa discussions that 7,62x39mm is old Soviet crap and now in US they "discovered" 0.3 blackout  7,62x35mm

    Waht Russians could to is to play with ballistic coefficient and lower a bit weight of bullet so terminal energy is at least the sam eand trajectory flatter for longer distance. Not to mention costs saving to keep millions of AK chambered 7,62x39  as perspective weapons Smile

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_AAC_Blackout




    And some quality control too to be honest.

    https://warhead.su/2018/04/26/luchshie-v-mire-chto-ne-tak-s-rossiyskimi-patronami

    I got box of 7,62x54R "Extra" last year from Novosibirsk ammo factory in one shop here (on my genuine suprise its available), and it was quite shubby, actually quite horrid compared to Serbian PPU and Winchester i mostly buy. Box contained 20, one failed for unknown reasons, one was "delaborated" by the loading mechanism of Izmash "Tiger" carabine.

    That is no quality control issue it is an ethical issue. How many dinosaur surplus cans have been passed as new rounds? I had relaquered 7,62's with powder compound being from the 70's. But at least this is commercial crap, lightyears away from the US procuring UXO grade M43 to Afghanistan and Niger. Ironically they were procuring sub-10 ammo to the Al-Qaeda buddies. There is an ethical issue with the Russian manufacturers, that has nothing to do with their actual industrial capabilities. This is a managerial problem. Will remain so until some suit is hanging by the balls.
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 3126
    Points : 3168
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 76
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote: That is no quality control issue it is an ethical issue. How many dinosaur surplus cans have been passed as new rounds?

    ethics an business are adversely correlated. At best not correlated. Not only in Russia in capitalism in general. Nocontrol, no sanctions. Et voila.


    This is a managerial problem. Will remain so until some suit is hanging by the balls.

    +1000 attack attack






    but gents as for making "lightweight" 7,62x39mm say trading 125g bullet to 70-80 to increase AK initial energy and velocity? does it make sense?
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18090
    Points : 18650
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Wed May 02, 2018 3:34 am

    6x49mm I've read recently (not bookmarked the source tho Sad ) that in US there is discussion that 6x45mm is much better then Grendel in terms of terminal energy not to mention universality for LMGs and flat trajectory.

    I think you are mixing things up a bit here... 6x49mm is not intended to be some super universal round that replaces assault rifle rounds and full power rifle rounds

    The 6x49mm is a long slim 120 grain bullet moving at 1.2km/s that should be effective out to 1.5km... it gets to 1.5km faster than the 7.62x54mm round and is moving faster when it gets there because of its long narrow shape so retains more energy and arrives faster with less bullet drop...

    The rounds the US is playing with is to replace their 5.56mm, whose only problem is that it is not a sniper rifle round... they want high precision and they want super lethality and it needs to be not effected by wind or distance and kill with each shot... it is something that cannot be found.

    7.62×35mm
    BTW there were lotsa discussions that 7,62x39mm is old Soviet crap and now in US they "discovered" 0.3 blackout 7,62x35mm

    Personally I think the 300 blackout is crap... the 9x39mm offers much better performance with much heavier bullets and is just a better round for quiet ops.

    For silenced ammo you need subsonic so with that restriction you get better performance with heavier projectiles and 9x39mm wins that game across the board.

    Waht Russians could to is to play with ballistic coefficient and lower a bit weight of bullet so terminal energy is at least the sam eand trajectory flatter for longer distance. Not to mention costs saving to keep millions of AK chambered 7,62x39 as perspective weapons

    Yeah... no... what the Russians need to keep in mind is that assault rifle cartridges are not supposed to hit people 800m away let alone kill them at that range.

    The 6x49mm can be used in rifles and machine guns in place of heavier and less accurate 7.62x54mm loaded weapons to reach out and touch, while new 5.45mm calibre weapons can keep doing what they are already doing... improved powders could increase performance by 1.3-1.4 as the first post in this thread suggests by expanding quickly and accelerating the bullet faster down the barrel to get better velocities... better powder and new plastic driving band technology to further improve velocities by 15% should lead to longer barrel life and more lethal bullets using the same ammo in the same guns (5.45 x 39mm) and new ammo in new guns (6x49mm) that can be redesigned because straight walled and rimmless rounds can use simpler actions and straight magazines...


    but gents as for making "lightweight" 7,62x39mm say trading 125g bullet to 70-80 to increase AK initial energy and velocity? does it make sense?

    Not really... Russian and Soviet rifle calibres were standardised... the 7.62x54mmR round actually has a .311 calibre bullet... it is the same width as the 303 british round, but the 7.62x25mm and 7.62x39mm both also have the same .311 diametre bullet, so in theory you could take a 90 grain 7.62x25mm bullet and put it in a 7.62x39mm or 7.62x54mm case if you wanted... there are plenty of bullet weights to choose from... 90 grain for the pistol round, 122 grain and 154 grain for the AK calibre and 149, 173, and 203 grain for the rifle calibre... though I suspect the heavier rounds would leave no space for powder in the pistol case.

    the simple fact is that the AK is effective because of bullet weight and not speed... I always thought the AKS-74U would make more sense in 7.62x39mm or 9x39mm as the short barrel length does not really compromise the performance of the round as much as it does with the 5.45mm round that relies of velocity for effect.

    A light bullet in a 7.62x39mm round means short fat projectile which would be rubbish at longer ranges as it would shed velocity to rapidly and by the time it got to 200-300m it would be going slower than a 120 grain round... of course you could argue that beyond that it does not matter anyway.

    Personally I think the main issue with the 7.62x39 is trajectory but the crux of the issue is range estimation... bullet drop is only an accuracy problem if you don't know the range to the target and you guess wrong.

    For a hunter with a laser range finder the 7.62 x 39mm can be perfectly adequate out to quite extreme ranges...

    Remember the 7.62x51mm is lauded as a super accurate round out to 1km... well at 1km its bullet drop is about 32 feet... so bullet drop is not a good measure for accuracy... if you know the range and you know the drop, your aim can compensate and you can still hit your target.

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11915
    Points : 12390
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Wed May 30, 2018 12:49 pm

    Russia to upgrade heavy sniper rifle

    The rifle’s upgrade is expected to be completed in 2020

    MOSCOW, May 30. /TASS/. Russia’s 12.7mm heavy sniper rifle OSV-96 will be upgraded to get a new cartridge and become a precision gun, a representative of the Shipunov Instrument-Making Design Bureau (the rifle’s developer) told TASS on Wednesday.

    Today the rifle is less accurate than other guns developed by the Shipunov Instrument-Making Design Bureau, for example, the MTs-116M sniper rifle, he said.

    "Work is underway to upgrade the OSV-96 to increase the accuracy of fire and the density of hits. Now we are at the stage of R&D work, which will be followed by experimental and design work and a cycle of trials. We expect the rifle’s upgrade to be completed in 2020," the design bureau’s representative said.

    A new sniper cartridge is planned to be developed as part of the OSV-96 rifle’s modernization, he added.

    The OSV-96 is a Russian large-caliber sniper rifle designed to destroy enemy manpower and military hardware at large distances. The rifle is chambered for the powerful 12.7x107mm cartridge (used both for machine guns and specialized sniper rifles). According to the rifle’s producer, its accuracy range is 1,800 m. The rifle is fed by a 5-round magazine. The OSV-96 is in service with the Defense Ministry, the Interior Ministry and the Federal Security Service of Russia.


    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/1007174
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 3126
    Points : 3168
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 76
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed May 30, 2018 1:09 pm

    George1 wrote:Russia to upgrade heavy sniper rifle

    MOSCOW, May 30. /TASS/. Russia’s 12.7mm heavy sniper rifle OSV-96 will be upgraded to get a new cartridge and become a precision gun, a representative of the Shipunov Instrument-Making Design Bureau (the rifle’s developer) told TASS on Wednesday


    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/1007174

    self-guided ammo?

    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 11915
    Points : 12390
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 Yesterday at 2:13 pm

    Russian President Vladimir Putin visited the Kalashnikov Concern’s shooting range and tested the company's brand new sniper rifle in Kubinka on Wednesday.
    After inspecting the experimental samples of the rifles, Putin shot five times with an SVCh-308 (Chukavin sniper’s rifle) rifle at a target from a distance of 600 meters. Three of the president's shots successfully hit the target.
    According to Kalashnikov, the SVCh-308 rifle is designed to engage the enemy's manpower at small and medium distances. It can be used in conditions of combined arms combat as well as for keeping a cover. The rifle's small dimensions allow the shooter to do without additional weapons, which increases mobility.

    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 832
    Points : 832
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Hole Yesterday at 5:26 pm

    Not bad for a man who doesn´t shoot every day.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 am