Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Share

    Benya
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 256
    Points : 262
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Benya on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:47 pm

    New sniper rifle from TsNIITOCHMASH will be delivered to the Russian secret services.

    The sophisticated sniper system developed for Russian secret services has passed the official tests and been ready for full-rate production, TsNIITOCHMASH Director General Dmitry Semizorov said, showing the cutting-edge rifle to Russian Vice-Premier Dmitry Rogozin.


    The new TsNIITOCHMASH sniper rifle for Russian secret services is based on the T-5000 rifle.

    "The rifles have passed the official trials," he said. "The interdepartmental commission has done its job and cleared them for production." According to the vice-premier, the new sniper system’s launch customer is Russia’s Federal Guard Service.

    "The first order has been placed. The batch will be small. It is designed for operational evaluation by the Federal Guard Service, and large-scale deliveries are being pondered as well," he said.

    The TsNIITOCHMASH director general added that the government would clear the weapon for the service entry with the Federal Guard Service inside a month. The first batch is already being manufactured.

    "It will include two 7.62-mm and two 8.6-mm systems," he added. "There will have been a large order by late 2017."

    Semizorov added that the delivery would be executed "in a very interested manner". Five companies have been involved in the program, but the delivery will take place "through a single window".

    "TsNIITOCHMASH assumes the responsibility for the operation of the whole system; hence, a governmental customer will turn to TsNIITOCHMASH alone in case of maintenance or scheduled repair issues, rather than having to deal with all of the companies involved," Semizorov explained, adding that he meant a full life-cycle contract.

    During the weapon’s presentation, Rogozin was told that Russia’s sniper system of the kind was its first one and on a par with foreign analogs in terms of accuracy and range. It was in development concurrently with its advanced night and day scopes and laser target designators. The system’s feature is that it was being developed at the same time with its ammunition.

    Both rifles making up the system are chambered for two cartridges, one being an ordinary ball round and the other an armor-piercing one. The 7.62x51-mm and 8.6x69-mm rounds are superior to foreign analogs by 25-30%. The ammunition plants in Tula and Ulyanovsk manufacture them. The sniper system is afforded an optical scope and a laser range-finder effective at a range of 2 km.

    Semizorov emphasized that the rifles were made of Russian materials only, save for the electronic components used in the thermal-imaging sights. The sniper system has been derived from the T-5000 rifle.

    Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/new_sniper_rifle_from_tsniitochmash_will_be_delivered_to_the_russian_secret_services_tass_10911164.html


    8.6x69-mm? Is that a new caliber?

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4494
    Points : 4685
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:25 am

    Benya wrote:New sniper rifle from TsNIITOCHMASH will be delivered to the Russian secret services.

    The sophisticated sniper system developed for Russian secret services has passed the official tests and been ready for full-rate production, TsNIITOCHMASH Director General Dmitry Semizorov said, showing the cutting-edge rifle to Russian Vice-Premier Dmitry Rogozin.


    The new TsNIITOCHMASH sniper rifle for Russian secret services is based on the T-5000 rifle.

    "The rifles have passed the official trials," he said. "The interdepartmental commission has done its job and cleared them for production." According to the vice-premier, the new sniper system’s launch customer is Russia’s Federal Guard Service.

    "The first order has been placed. The batch will be small. It is designed for operational evaluation by the Federal Guard Service, and large-scale deliveries are being pondered as well," he said.

    The TsNIITOCHMASH director general added that the government would clear the weapon for the service entry with the Federal Guard Service inside a month. The first batch is already being manufactured.

    "It will include two 7.62-mm and two 8.6-mm systems," he added. "There will have been a large order by late 2017."

    Semizorov added that the delivery would be executed "in a very interested manner". Five companies have been involved in the program, but the delivery will take place "through a single window".

    "TsNIITOCHMASH assumes the responsibility for the operation of the whole system; hence, a governmental customer will turn to TsNIITOCHMASH alone in case of maintenance or scheduled repair issues, rather than having to deal with all of the companies involved," Semizorov explained, adding that he meant a full life-cycle contract.

    During the weapon’s presentation, Rogozin was told that Russia’s sniper system of the kind was its first one and on a par with foreign analogs in terms of accuracy and range. It was in development concurrently with its advanced night and day scopes and laser target designators. The system’s feature is that it was being developed at the same time with its ammunition.

    Both rifles making up the system are chambered for two cartridges, one being an ordinary ball round and the other an armor-piercing one. The 7.62x51-mm and 8.6x69-mm rounds are superior to foreign analogs by 25-30%. The ammunition plants in Tula and Ulyanovsk manufacture them. The sniper system is afforded an optical scope and a laser range-finder effective at a range of 2 km.

    Semizorov emphasized that the rifles were made of Russian materials only, save for the electronic components used in the thermal-imaging sights. The sniper system has been derived from the T-5000 rifle.

    Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/new_sniper_rifle_from_tsniitochmash_will_be_delivered_to_the_russian_secret_services_tass_10911164.html


    8.6x69-mm? Is that a new caliber?

    Russkized .338 Lapua Magnum.

    jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 423
    Points : 489
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  jhelb on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 am

    GarryB wrote:
    If they are looking at 23mm or 30mm projectiles then it can't possibly be a copy of a  Cheytac... that has a calibre of .408 inch or something like that.

    Hey Garry, look at this SLVK 14S with over 4200 meter range in the works thumbsup

    https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20161124.aspx

    Benya
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

    Posts : 256
    Points : 262
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Benya on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:24 pm

    Kord-M large-caliber sniper rifle to enter in service with the Russian armed forces in 2017.

    The first examples of the cutting-edge Kord-M large-caliber sniper rifle will be fielded with the Russian Armed Forces in 2017, according to Russian daily newspaper Izvestia. Russian special forces will receive the unique Kord-M large-caliber sniper rifle to enable special operators to eliminate enemy manpower and lightly armored vehicles at a range of 2 km. The weapon’s light enough weight, a mere 10 kg, will allow the commandos to haul the advanced rifle on long forced foot marches.


    Kord-M 12.7-mm sniper system 6S8 (Photo Vitaly Kuzmin)

    The Kord-M high-accuracy sniper system also is known as ASVK-M and 6V7M-1. The weapon was developed by the Degtyaryov Plant in the town of Kovrov. It turned out to be far lighter than its foreign rivals, in particular, the US-made M82 equipping virtually all special outfits in the world, and it is said to have surpassed its foreign competition in terms of targetable range, according to early feedback.

    At present, the tests of the ASVK-M are nearing an end, a Defense Ministry official close to the matter has told the Izvestia. In 2017, its first examples will be fielded with special forces and airborne units and then will enter the inventory of the mountain infantry brigade’s snipers.

    Degtyaryov’s representatives declined to comment on the trials.

    Now, the snipers with Russian special forces operate the ASVK Kord large-caliber sniper system measuring 1.5 m long and weighing more than 12 kg. A skilled sniper firing the Kord hits a target out to 1.5 km.

    The Kord-M is a derivative of the ASVK, but its weight has diminished to 10 kg and its targetable range has been extended to 2 km through the use of advanced technologies and materials and a new design. The ASVK-M punches through armor up to 15 cm thick, concrete walls and brickwork.

    A large-caliber sniper rifle should not be too light. The heavier the rifle, the better it dampens strong recoil owing to its weight, a military officer, a sniper himself, has told the Izvestia daily. For instance, the recoil of the standard-issue Kord exceeds that of the AK-74 by several orders of magnitude and is bad for health. In particular, if you fire it for a long time, your kidneys suffer and you feel as if you have been hit on your head a few times. The Kord-M’s designers managed to strike a reasonable balance, and the weapon’s weight reduction has not increased its kick.


    Kord-M 12.7-mm sniper system 6S8 (Photo Copyright Army Recognition)

    According to the officer, the standard-issue Kord is a good rifle with excellent accuracy, but it better fits the snipers of infantry brigades and divisions, operating on armored cars.

    Special operators behind the enemy lines have to carry their gear on their backs, hence, the weight of their weapons influences the success of their missions, the officer explained.

    Major sniper rifle manufacturers do their best to reduce the weight of their large-caliber weapons, but no one has succeeded in cutting it to 10 kg. For instance, while the Barrett M82 weighed around 13 kg, the latest Barrett XM500 weighs 11.8 kg, and the weight of the AS50 from British company Accuracy International has dropped by only 900 g - to 14.1 kg - over its earlier weapon, the AW50. Interestingly, the targetable range of the M82 and XM500 is slightly longer than 1,100 m and that of the AS500 and AW500 about 1,500 m.

    "Now that mass attacks are being replaced with surgical commando assaults, special forces sorely need rifles to kill a wide range of targets at long range. The weapons should be light and small enough so that they do not prevent snipers from displacing quickly," Popular Mechanics Editor-in-Chief Alexander Grek has told the Izvestia daily.

    The designers of such weapons faced a number of problems not that long ago, with their large-caliber rifles being rather heavy and kicking hard. However, the advent of more sophisticated muzzle brakes, alloys and ammunition has enabled the manufacturers to slash the weight of their weapons, while retaining their long range, according to the Izvestia daily.

    Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/kord-m_large-caliber_sniper_rifle_to_enter_in_service_with_the_russian_armed_forces_in_2017_tass_12512161.html



    Special forces again? Well, I don't know but I think that the Army (standard motor rifle units) itself should receive some heavy-caliber, platoon-level sniper rifles. By platoon-level, I mean that for example, there are 4 squads in a platoon, and in every squad, there is a soldier equipped with a sniper rifle. Three squads would have a soldier with an SVDS "Dragunov" 7.62mm sniper rifle, and one squad would have a soldier with a 12.7mm sniper/anti-material rifle, while special forces receive the more advanced, longer range rifles, from let's say 8.6mm to .408 CheyTac.

    With this tactic, the 4th squad can provide fire support against light vehicles, or targets (enemy snipers, enemy machine gunners) behind cover.

    In fact that every motor rifle brigade has a sniper company, they should receive some mid-category rifles, while the squads/platoons receive standardized ones, and SpetzNaz units would receive the true high-end rifles.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15867
    Points : 16572
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 pm

    Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5263
    Points : 5308
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Militarov on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:14 pm

    GarryB wrote:Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.

    In Mechanised infantry that has APCs maybe in open field. However in urban and rural (mountains-forests) combat anti-material rifles are extremly useful and there is basically nothing that can replace them. Being capable of destroying or damaging high value targets on ranges beyond 1000m with accuracy and very cheap is extremly useful.

    Also targets of these rifles are quite specific, those are not the same targets that 100mm gun has.

    VladimirSahin
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 403
    Points : 423
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 26
    Location : Florida

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  VladimirSahin on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:24 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.

    In Mechanised infantry that has APCs maybe in open field. However in urban and rural (mountains-forests) combat anti-material rifles are extremly useful and there is basically nothing that can replace them. Being capable of destroying or damaging high value targets on ranges beyond 1000m with accuracy and very cheap is extremly useful.

    Also targets of these rifles are quite specific, those are not the same targets that 100mm gun has.

    Right, a battalion level sniper platoon should be issued these for environments like these. I believe the correspondent US troops have battalion level sniper units and those guys have access to Barret .50 calibers.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5263
    Points : 5308
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Militarov on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:33 pm

    VladimirSahin wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.

    In Mechanised infantry that has APCs maybe in open field. However in urban and rural (mountains-forests) combat anti-material rifles are extremly useful and there is basically nothing that can replace them. Being capable of destroying or damaging high value targets on ranges beyond 1000m with accuracy and very cheap is extremly useful.

    Also targets of these rifles are quite specific, those are not the same targets that 100mm gun has.

    Right, a battalion level sniper platoon should be issued these for environments like these. I believe the correspondent US troops have battalion level sniper units and those guys have access to Barret .50 calibers.

    Here its company lvl i belive, with M-93. But i am not sure if it was 2 per company or 4...

    VladimirSahin
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 403
    Points : 423
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 26
    Location : Florida

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  VladimirSahin on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:38 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.

    In Mechanised infantry that has APCs maybe in open field. However in urban and rural (mountains-forests) combat anti-material rifles are extremly useful and there is basically nothing that can replace them. Being capable of destroying or damaging high value targets on ranges beyond 1000m with accuracy and very cheap is extremly useful.

    Also targets of these rifles are quite specific, those are not the same targets that 100mm gun has.

    Right, a battalion level sniper platoon should be issued these for environments like these. I believe the correspondent US troops have battalion level sniper units and those guys have access to Barret .50 calibers.

    Here its company lvl i belive, with M-93. But i am not sure if it was 2 per company or 4...

    That's pretty good, you Serbs got nasty firepower if that's the case. In Donbas it's not weird to see PTRDs with units, those things can wreck treads of armored vehicles as well. I'd say anti-material rifles are worth it.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5263
    Points : 5308
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Militarov on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:44 pm

    VladimirSahin wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    GarryB wrote:Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.

    In Mechanised infantry that has APCs maybe in open field. However in urban and rural (mountains-forests) combat anti-material rifles are extremly useful and there is basically nothing that can replace them. Being capable of destroying or damaging high value targets on ranges beyond 1000m with accuracy and very cheap is extremly useful.

    Also targets of these rifles are quite specific, those are not the same targets that 100mm gun has.

    Right, a battalion level sniper platoon should be issued these for environments like these. I believe the correspondent US troops have battalion level sniper units and those guys have access to Barret .50 calibers.

    Here its company lvl i belive, with M-93. But i am not sure if it was 2 per company or 4...

    That's pretty good, you Serbs got nasty firepower if that's the case. In Donbas it's not weird to see PTRDs with units, those things can wreck treads of armored vehicles as well. I'd say anti-material rifles are worth it.

    Also on company lvl there is ABG-30 automatic grenade launcher detachment. On batallion lvl there is added Anti-tank platoon and fire support platoon with mortars.
    .

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 pm