Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Share
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4488
    Points : 4661
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:


    Update:

    In Russia began testing "smart bullets" in guided mode

    Already completed the stages of design and experimental development of products in the unmanaged mode

    MOSCOW, July 19. /TASS/. The Russian advanced research Foundation (DRF) began testing "smart bullets" in controlled flight, said in an interview with TASS Deputy Director General of the organization Vitaly Davydov.

    "Work in this direction continues. Completed the design and experimental testing of the product in unmanaged mode, tested in controlled flight," he said.
    The Fund had planned to test "smart bullets," which should hit targets at a distance of ten miles, in the last year.




    http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3467018












    GunshipDemocracy wrote:In case you did not see perspective developments thread Smile

    Smart bullet sees the target
    https://rg.ru/2016/07/19/sekretnaia-boevaia-tehnika-vpervye-proshla-ispytanie-uchebnym-boem.html

    How will change gear for the Russian infantry?
    Andrey Grigoriev: Now we are developing a new composite barrels , which are much lighter than usual. Created a fundamentally new family of bullets, for example, of two or more metals, with a special armor-piercing long-range properties. Designed intelligent scopes, advanced sniper rocket complex with a controllable bullet, and more.

    15 years ago similar projects to this (in the US) seemed like gold-plated white elephants, and eventually became failures...so whats the difference? We're in the age of Photonics, within the coming years we'll see a brave-new-world in ultra-miniaturization, with Photonic microchips with thousands of CPU cores (yes you heard right), that make developments like this possible. So in the coming 10 years you'll see this technology applied to heavy sniper units and vehicle autocannons. Before, going above 12.7x108mm anti-material rifles was not real popular, due to the fact that it would increase size thus creating cumbersome weight, and even the increased velocity would likely still be inaccurate at increased ranges when you factor in optics. With this it seems possible that a man portable 14x114mm anti-material rifle, and a small air-droppable UGV based 23x115mm, 23x152mm, and 30x165mm sniper-autocannon system could be created to liquidate targets at extended ranges, with optical/electro-optical guidance for short-ranges and radio command guidance at extended ranges. The increase in capability for AFV's and SHORAD vehicles may even be greater, with the help of mobile command posts and more robust guidance systems/vehicles, radio commanded rounds could be guided dozens or potentially even hundreds at a time could be guided accurately at ground and air targets.
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1714
    Points : 1871
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  TheArmenian on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:39 pm

    SVK



    avatar
    Arctic_Fox

    Posts : 148
    Points : 155
    Join date : 2015-05-02
    Age : 24
    Location : Brazil

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Arctic_Fox on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:50 am











    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3911
    Points : 3938
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 am

    2 different calibres for the SVK...
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:

    15 years ago similar projects to this (in the US) seemed like gold-plated white elephants, and eventually became failures...so whats the difference?

    you mean like this ?   Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil


    BTW i remember during commie times in Poland was one brilliant electronic engineer - he proposed  advanced to those times solution of sound recording. Commission reject dhis proposal  to go into prod.Why? because they did not do it in USA  Razz  Razz  Razz



    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    We're in the age of Photonics, within the coming years we'll see a brave-new-world in ultra-miniaturization, with Photonic microchips with thousands of CPU cores (yes you heard right), that make developments like this possible. So in the coming 10 years you'll see this technology applied to heavy sniper units and vehicle autocannons. Before, going above 12.7x108mm anti-material rifles was not real popular, due to the fact that it would increase size thus creating cumbersome weight, and even the increased velocity would likely still be inaccurate at increased ranges when you factor in optics. With this it seems possible that a man portable 14x114mm anti-material rifle, and a small air-droppable UGV based 23x115mm, 23x152mm, and 30x165mm sniper-autocannon system could be created to liquidate targets at extended ranges, with optical/electro-optical guidance for short-ranges and radio command guidance at extended ranges. The increase in capability for AFV's and SHORAD vehicles may even be greater, with the help of mobile command posts and more robust guidance systems/vehicles, radio commanded rounds could be guided dozens or potentially even hundreds at a time could be guided accurately at ground and air targets.

    or rocket assisted guided bullet? simple to correct flight path or like in US small gyroscope[/quote]
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16526
    Points : 17134
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    sniper rifles

    Post  GarryB on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:50 am

    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/rus/svk-e.html

    Interesting that the page regarding the SVDK mentions the 7.62 x 54R calibre version can use standard Dragunov magazines but that it also has 15 and 20 round mags... presumably able also to be used on Dragunov SVDs.

    To be honest I don't really like the new plastic look... I did like the VS-121 bullpup model... a tidied up version of that with a 20 round mag can be sent to my address for testing any time.

    This MA compact assault rifle seems to be an AKS-74U replacement... which surprises me as a bullpup version could be as small but with a barrel length to make it more effective... but with duplicated controls it looks easy enough to use with little chance of snagging gear on it.

    I assume these sand coloured models are intended to appeal to the Middle East users...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16526
    Points : 17134
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am

    So the information about the new 9x69mm ammo, which is basically a 338LM round necked out to a 9mm calibre round suggests that this would be the "other" calibre for the VS-121.

    So that means it would come in 7.62 x 54mm, 7.62 x 51mm, and 9 x 69mm calibre.

    With the improved trigger and heavy barrel I would suspect in the two former calibres it should be effective out to 1km with good ammo, and likely 1.5km with the latter ammo.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1714
    Points : 1871
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  TheArmenian on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:34 am

    Here is the motherload of pictures of the guns shown at the Army-2016 exhibition:

    6 Pages

    https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/soustov/album/167135?

    and here is the first video of the SVK


    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3911
    Points : 3938
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:03 pm

    TheArmenian wrote:Here is the motherload of pictures of the guns shown at the Army-2016 exhibition:

    6 Pages

    https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/soustov/album/167135?

    and here is the first video of the SVK



    Ironically the stock they had prepared for the AK-12 now is slapped to the SVK...(and probably all the rest of the lineup in the future).
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10515
    Points : 10992
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:09 am

    Russia Launches the World’s Lightest Heavy Sniper Rifle Ever

    Read more: https://sputniknews.com/russia/20161003/1045951766/russia-snipers-rifle.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:01 pm




    KALUGA GUNSMITHS HAVE EXPERIENCED LONG-RANGE RIFLE "TWILIGHT"

    I


    A weapons company from Kaluga region developed a unique rifle sverhdalnoboynaya svlk-14S "Twilight". it is capable of hitting targets at a record range of more than three kilometers. Writes Rambler News Service, told about it at the exhibition "INTERPOLITEX-2016" Vladislav Lobaev, the Director of the manufacturer of the gun — Lobaev Arms.

    The shooting held in 2015, the rifle can accurately hit the target, otstavku from it at 3400 meters.

    After that "Twilight" has been improved: the rifle barrel extended, and made it heavier. Now the company is preparing for a new shooting and hopes that the weapon will already strike targets at a range of 4000-4200 meters. Meanwhile, according to experts, is no sniper weapon in the world can show such a result.

    However, there is complexity in the European part of Russia is difficult to find the shooting range is equipped, allowing to conduct aimed fire at a distance.

    By the way, the sighting range of a normal sniper rifle, armed security forces, is about 1000-1200 meters.










    http://lobaevarms.ru/products/svlk-longrange-sniper-rifle/
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3911
    Points : 3938
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:58 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:


    KALUGA GUNSMITHS HAVE EXPERIENCED LONG-RANGE RIFLE "TWILIGHT"

    I


    A weapons company from Kaluga region developed a unique rifle sverhdalnoboynaya svlk-14S "Twilight". it is capable of hitting targets at a record range of more than three kilometers. Writes Rambler News Service, told about it at the exhibition "INTERPOLITEX-2016" Vladislav Lobaev, the Director of the manufacturer of the gun — Lobaev Arms.

    The shooting held in 2015, the rifle can accurately hit the target, otstavku from it at 3400 meters.

    After that "Twilight" has been improved: the rifle barrel extended, and made it heavier. Now the company is preparing for a new shooting and hopes that the weapon will already strike targets at a range of 4000-4200 meters. Meanwhile, according to experts, is no sniper weapon in the world can show such a result.

    However, there is complexity in the European part of Russia is difficult to find the shooting range is equipped, allowing to conduct aimed fire at a distance.

    By the way, the sighting range of a normal sniper rifle, armed security forces, is about 1000-1200 meters.










    http://lobaevarms.ru/products/svlk-longrange-sniper-rifle/

    .408 Cheytac, nothing out of the ordinary for the round, what we need is follow up shots.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4488
    Points : 4661
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 am

    23 mm anti-material rifle is being developed:

    Defense Ministry ordered sniper "mini-gun"

    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:50 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote: .408 Cheytac, nothing out of the ordinary for the round, what we need is follow up shots.


    Wasn´t it in this very thread mentioned about guided sniper ammo tested now in Russia? but not sure if for such small kalibers maybe for 23mm riffles.

    BTW For Chytac ammo you need no license to produce?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3911
    Points : 3938
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote: .408 Cheytac, nothing out of the ordinary for the round, what we need is follow up shots.


    Wasn´t it in this very thread mentioned about guided sniper ammo tested now in Russia? but not sure if for such small kalibers maybe for 23mm riffles.

    BTW For Chytac ammo you need no license to produce?

    I don't think that the ammo was produced integrally by Lobaev, IMO it was reloaded from commercially available rounds or they made a wildcat for the shootout.
    Also Lobaev still has contacts with UAE which can in return provide them with ammo that would otherwise be difficult to obtain for Russia formally. And Lobaev is a private armorer and gunsmith, it doesn't have issues to import ammunition for its needs.
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 1570
    Points : 1608
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:19 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote: I don't think that the ammo was produced integrally by Lobaev, IMO it was reloaded from commercially available rounds or they made a wildcat for the shootout.
    Also Lobaev still has contacts with UAE which can in return provide them with ammo that would otherwise be difficult to obtain for Russia formally. And Lobaev is a private armorer and gunsmith, it doesn't have issues to import ammunition for its needs.


    Would it make sense to adopt Cheytac instead of .338 LM? Or they are not to replace rather compliment each other?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3911
    Points : 3938
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:33 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote: I don't think that the ammo was produced integrally by Lobaev, IMO it was reloaded from commercially available rounds or they made a wildcat for the shootout.
    Also Lobaev still has contacts with UAE which can in return provide them with ammo that would otherwise be difficult to obtain for Russia formally. And Lobaev is a private armorer and gunsmith, it doesn't have issues to import ammunition for its needs.


    Would it make sense to adopt Cheytac instead of .338 LM?  Or they are not to replace rather compliment each other?

    I will say that from military view point it doesn't. At 3000m better grab a Konkurs and be sure the guy you're targeting is dead for good. Exteme range shooting is something that is mainly required because you can't have indirect or direct fire support. 3km shots are senseless, amazing but don't make sense, unless you are on that super stealthy mission that requires to drop some top chief without him even knowing.

    The Cheytac and LapMag make sense in their extreme accuracy at the range between 1/2 km. There is a margin to talk about the .408CT/.416B vs LapMag because both have bigger energy at release and hallmarks (500m/1000m/1500m). But both rounds will kill no more than the LapMag at those ranges.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16526
    Points : 17134
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:45 am

    That 23mm gun looks interesting.

    I suggested a while back that the Russians should make an anti material rifle like the South African NTW-20 that had a 20mm round and a 14.5mm round option with changeable barrels and bolts.

    For a Russian rifle it would make more sense to use a 14.5 x 114mm high velocity round (for armour piercing use... for which you could develop SLAP rounds) and have a 23 x 115mm for the lower velocity HE rounds as the rounds are very similar in size.

    With further development a much higher velocity APFSDS round could be developed for the 23mm round as its larger calibre would allow more propellant and more energy to be pushed down the barrel.

    The rifle they are proposing above however looks like it will be based on either the 30 x 165mm round (used by army navy and air force in all their 30mm guns) or the 23 x 152mm high velocity cannon round used in the Shilka and ZU-23-2 anti aircraft weapons.

    I remember mentioning the 23mm calibre weapon to Anthony Williams a while back and he said too much gas and recoil... so it will be interesting to see what round they choose as both these 30mm and 23mm rounds are vastly more powerful than the round I suggested.

    With a projectile optimised for low drag I suspect they will be after a very long range weapon so higher muzzle velocity would be useful... but also a guided shell would be useful too.

    AFAIK they have developed a new round in 9mm calibre based on the .338LM for use at medium to long range... ie 800m-1,500m.

    I am sure they can use their own aerodynamic models and come up with a calibre that is useful at very long ranges too without having to copy anything.

    If they are looking at 23mm or 30mm projectiles then it can't possibly be a copy of a Cheytac... that has a calibre of .408 inch or something like that.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10515
    Points : 10992
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:51 pm

    New sniper system for Russian special services ready for serial supplies

    The sniper system, developed for the first time in modern Russia’s history, is equipped with optical sight and a 2km laser ranging device

    KLIMOVSK, November 5. /TASS/. The new sniper system for Russia’s special services has passed state trials and is ready for serial supplies, CEO of the Central Research Institute of Precision Machine-Building (TsNIITochMash) Dmitry Semizorov said on Saturday.

    "The rifles have successfully passed state tests," Semizorov said, presenting the new rifle to Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin. "The work of an interdepartmental commission has been completed," he added.

    The first supplies of the sniper system will be carried out for the Federal Protective Service (FSO), a federal government agency tasked with protecting high-ranking state officials. "We have the first order, the first batch is small, it will be used by the FSO forces and we are already working on serial supplies," Semizorov said.

    The sniper system, developed for the first time in modern Russia’s history, is equipped with optical sight and a 2km laser ranging device. It is fully based on domestic materials, except for the electronic component base in thermal pointers, he said.


    More:
    http://tass.com/defense/910597


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Benya

    Posts : 528
    Points : 532
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Benya on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:47 pm

    New sniper rifle from TsNIITOCHMASH will be delivered to the Russian secret services.

    The sophisticated sniper system developed for Russian secret services has passed the official tests and been ready for full-rate production, TsNIITOCHMASH Director General Dmitry Semizorov said, showing the cutting-edge rifle to Russian Vice-Premier Dmitry Rogozin.


    The new TsNIITOCHMASH sniper rifle for Russian secret services is based on the T-5000 rifle.

    "The rifles have passed the official trials," he said. "The interdepartmental commission has done its job and cleared them for production." According to the vice-premier, the new sniper system’s launch customer is Russia’s Federal Guard Service.

    "The first order has been placed. The batch will be small. It is designed for operational evaluation by the Federal Guard Service, and large-scale deliveries are being pondered as well," he said.

    The TsNIITOCHMASH director general added that the government would clear the weapon for the service entry with the Federal Guard Service inside a month. The first batch is already being manufactured.

    "It will include two 7.62-mm and two 8.6-mm systems," he added. "There will have been a large order by late 2017."

    Semizorov added that the delivery would be executed "in a very interested manner". Five companies have been involved in the program, but the delivery will take place "through a single window".

    "TsNIITOCHMASH assumes the responsibility for the operation of the whole system; hence, a governmental customer will turn to TsNIITOCHMASH alone in case of maintenance or scheduled repair issues, rather than having to deal with all of the companies involved," Semizorov explained, adding that he meant a full life-cycle contract.

    During the weapon’s presentation, Rogozin was told that Russia’s sniper system of the kind was its first one and on a par with foreign analogs in terms of accuracy and range. It was in development concurrently with its advanced night and day scopes and laser target designators. The system’s feature is that it was being developed at the same time with its ammunition.

    Both rifles making up the system are chambered for two cartridges, one being an ordinary ball round and the other an armor-piercing one. The 7.62x51-mm and 8.6x69-mm rounds are superior to foreign analogs by 25-30%. The ammunition plants in Tula and Ulyanovsk manufacture them. The sniper system is afforded an optical scope and a laser range-finder effective at a range of 2 km.

    Semizorov emphasized that the rifles were made of Russian materials only, save for the electronic components used in the thermal-imaging sights. The sniper system has been derived from the T-5000 rifle.

    Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/new_sniper_rifle_from_tsniitochmash_will_be_delivered_to_the_russian_secret_services_tass_10911164.html


    8.6x69-mm? Is that a new caliber?
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4488
    Points : 4661
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:25 am

    Benya wrote:New sniper rifle from TsNIITOCHMASH will be delivered to the Russian secret services.

    The sophisticated sniper system developed for Russian secret services has passed the official tests and been ready for full-rate production, TsNIITOCHMASH Director General Dmitry Semizorov said, showing the cutting-edge rifle to Russian Vice-Premier Dmitry Rogozin.


    The new TsNIITOCHMASH sniper rifle for Russian secret services is based on the T-5000 rifle.

    "The rifles have passed the official trials," he said. "The interdepartmental commission has done its job and cleared them for production." According to the vice-premier, the new sniper system’s launch customer is Russia’s Federal Guard Service.

    "The first order has been placed. The batch will be small. It is designed for operational evaluation by the Federal Guard Service, and large-scale deliveries are being pondered as well," he said.

    The TsNIITOCHMASH director general added that the government would clear the weapon for the service entry with the Federal Guard Service inside a month. The first batch is already being manufactured.

    "It will include two 7.62-mm and two 8.6-mm systems," he added. "There will have been a large order by late 2017."

    Semizorov added that the delivery would be executed "in a very interested manner". Five companies have been involved in the program, but the delivery will take place "through a single window".

    "TsNIITOCHMASH assumes the responsibility for the operation of the whole system; hence, a governmental customer will turn to TsNIITOCHMASH alone in case of maintenance or scheduled repair issues, rather than having to deal with all of the companies involved," Semizorov explained, adding that he meant a full life-cycle contract.

    During the weapon’s presentation, Rogozin was told that Russia’s sniper system of the kind was its first one and on a par with foreign analogs in terms of accuracy and range. It was in development concurrently with its advanced night and day scopes and laser target designators. The system’s feature is that it was being developed at the same time with its ammunition.

    Both rifles making up the system are chambered for two cartridges, one being an ordinary ball round and the other an armor-piercing one. The 7.62x51-mm and 8.6x69-mm rounds are superior to foreign analogs by 25-30%. The ammunition plants in Tula and Ulyanovsk manufacture them. The sniper system is afforded an optical scope and a laser range-finder effective at a range of 2 km.

    Semizorov emphasized that the rifles were made of Russian materials only, save for the electronic components used in the thermal-imaging sights. The sniper system has been derived from the T-5000 rifle.

    Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/new_sniper_rifle_from_tsniitochmash_will_be_delivered_to_the_russian_secret_services_tass_10911164.html


    8.6x69-mm? Is that a new caliber?

    Russkized .338 Lapua Magnum.
    avatar
    jhelb

    Posts : 433
    Points : 500
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  jhelb on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 am

    GarryB wrote:
    If they are looking at 23mm or 30mm projectiles then it can't possibly be a copy of a  Cheytac... that has a calibre of .408 inch or something like that.

    Hey Garry, look at this SLVK 14S with over 4200 meter range in the works thumbsup

    https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20161124.aspx
    avatar
    Benya

    Posts : 528
    Points : 532
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Benya on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:24 pm

    Kord-M large-caliber sniper rifle to enter in service with the Russian armed forces in 2017.

    The first examples of the cutting-edge Kord-M large-caliber sniper rifle will be fielded with the Russian Armed Forces in 2017, according to Russian daily newspaper Izvestia. Russian special forces will receive the unique Kord-M large-caliber sniper rifle to enable special operators to eliminate enemy manpower and lightly armored vehicles at a range of 2 km. The weapon’s light enough weight, a mere 10 kg, will allow the commandos to haul the advanced rifle on long forced foot marches.


    Kord-M 12.7-mm sniper system 6S8 (Photo Vitaly Kuzmin)

    The Kord-M high-accuracy sniper system also is known as ASVK-M and 6V7M-1. The weapon was developed by the Degtyaryov Plant in the town of Kovrov. It turned out to be far lighter than its foreign rivals, in particular, the US-made M82 equipping virtually all special outfits in the world, and it is said to have surpassed its foreign competition in terms of targetable range, according to early feedback.

    At present, the tests of the ASVK-M are nearing an end, a Defense Ministry official close to the matter has told the Izvestia. In 2017, its first examples will be fielded with special forces and airborne units and then will enter the inventory of the mountain infantry brigade’s snipers.

    Degtyaryov’s representatives declined to comment on the trials.

    Now, the snipers with Russian special forces operate the ASVK Kord large-caliber sniper system measuring 1.5 m long and weighing more than 12 kg. A skilled sniper firing the Kord hits a target out to 1.5 km.

    The Kord-M is a derivative of the ASVK, but its weight has diminished to 10 kg and its targetable range has been extended to 2 km through the use of advanced technologies and materials and a new design. The ASVK-M punches through armor up to 15 cm thick, concrete walls and brickwork.

    A large-caliber sniper rifle should not be too light. The heavier the rifle, the better it dampens strong recoil owing to its weight, a military officer, a sniper himself, has told the Izvestia daily. For instance, the recoil of the standard-issue Kord exceeds that of the AK-74 by several orders of magnitude and is bad for health. In particular, if you fire it for a long time, your kidneys suffer and you feel as if you have been hit on your head a few times. The Kord-M’s designers managed to strike a reasonable balance, and the weapon’s weight reduction has not increased its kick.


    Kord-M 12.7-mm sniper system 6S8 (Photo Copyright Army Recognition)

    According to the officer, the standard-issue Kord is a good rifle with excellent accuracy, but it better fits the snipers of infantry brigades and divisions, operating on armored cars.

    Special operators behind the enemy lines have to carry their gear on their backs, hence, the weight of their weapons influences the success of their missions, the officer explained.

    Major sniper rifle manufacturers do their best to reduce the weight of their large-caliber weapons, but no one has succeeded in cutting it to 10 kg. For instance, while the Barrett M82 weighed around 13 kg, the latest Barrett XM500 weighs 11.8 kg, and the weight of the AS50 from British company Accuracy International has dropped by only 900 g - to 14.1 kg - over its earlier weapon, the AW50. Interestingly, the targetable range of the M82 and XM500 is slightly longer than 1,100 m and that of the AS500 and AW500 about 1,500 m.

    "Now that mass attacks are being replaced with surgical commando assaults, special forces sorely need rifles to kill a wide range of targets at long range. The weapons should be light and small enough so that they do not prevent snipers from displacing quickly," Popular Mechanics Editor-in-Chief Alexander Grek has told the Izvestia daily.

    The designers of such weapons faced a number of problems not that long ago, with their large-caliber rifles being rather heavy and kicking hard. However, the advent of more sophisticated muzzle brakes, alloys and ammunition has enabled the manufacturers to slash the weight of their weapons, while retaining their long range, according to the Izvestia daily.

    Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/kord-m_large-caliber_sniper_rifle_to_enter_in_service_with_the_russian_armed_forces_in_2017_tass_12512161.html



    Special forces again? Well, I don't know but I think that the Army (standard motor rifle units) itself should receive some heavy-caliber, platoon-level sniper rifles. By platoon-level, I mean that for example, there are 4 squads in a platoon, and in every squad, there is a soldier equipped with a sniper rifle. Three squads would have a soldier with an SVDS "Dragunov" 7.62mm sniper rifle, and one squad would have a soldier with a 12.7mm sniper/anti-material rifle, while special forces receive the more advanced, longer range rifles, from let's say 8.6mm to .408 CheyTac.

    With this tactic, the 4th squad can provide fire support against light vehicles, or targets (enemy snipers, enemy machine gunners) behind cover.

    In fact that every motor rifle brigade has a sniper company, they should receive some mid-category rifles, while the squads/platoons receive standardized ones, and SpetzNaz units would receive the true high-end rifles.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16526
    Points : 17134
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:00 pm

    Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5538
    Points : 5579
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Militarov on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:14 pm

    GarryB wrote:Heavy rifles are not so critical for general infantry... they will have a 30mm cannon operating with them and perhaps a 100mm rifled main gun or soon a 57mm high velocity weapon too.

    In Mechanised infantry that has APCs maybe in open field. However in urban and rural (mountains-forests) combat anti-material rifles are extremly useful and there is basically nothing that can replace them. Being capable of destroying or damaging high value targets on ranges beyond 1000m with accuracy and very cheap is extremly useful.

    Also targets of these rifles are quite specific, those are not the same targets that 100mm gun has.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 pm