Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Share
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3905
    Points : 3936
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:10 am



    Dragunov MA.



    SK-16

    Look closely, get your own idea.

    Also...in Russian. It's basically the Copy Paste of the PopMech article.

    http://panzer-88.livejournal.com/109490.html

    Rifle incorporates AN-94 derivated recoil principle. And a gas trap...however, there's a little issue with the bolt carrier which is a MA/SVD system.

    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:23 pm

    I see on world guns that the Russians have created a new calibre based on the 338LM sniper round. Their new round is larger calibre... it is a 9mm, but uses the same 69mm long cartridge case as the .338LM round and is intended for long range sniping.

    Here is a new rifle designed to fire the new round:

    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/rus/sr4-e.html


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3905
    Points : 3936
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:54 pm

    GarryB wrote:I see on world guns that the Russians have created a new calibre based on the 338LM sniper round. Their new round is larger calibre... it is a 9mm, but uses the same 69mm long cartridge case as the .338LM round and is intended for long range sniping.

    Here is a new rifle designed to fire the new round:

    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/rus/sr4-e.html

    Yes the SR4. But it isn't exactly new...the gun has been in use for sometimes with Presidential security.
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10085
    Points : 10575
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:00 pm

    Russian Armed Forces started getting sniper rifles SVDm

    Подробнее на ТАСС:
    https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3359949&usg=ALkJrhgUNi6YXzYhCEvabroPCm28XIYgrg


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 6093
    Points : 6499
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Austin on Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:16 pm

    This is for GarryB

    SVD Dragunov




    David Fortier and I take a look at the SVD Dragunov sniper rifle. The SVD Dragunov is one of the most prolific sniper rifles on the modern battlefield. It has an interesting history behind it and I bet you learn a thing or two you didn't know about it in this video. I know I learned a few things in my conversation with David. The SVD in this video belongs to gun writer Marc Vorobiev who is also an Afghan war vet who served in the Soviet military during the 1980's.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:56 am

    Thanks for that Austin... interesting.

    Though AFAIK the 7.62 x 54mm round entered service in 1891 as a black powder round with a 220 grain round nosed projectile and sights measured in arshins and a calibre measured in Lini (the latter being 0.1 of an inch so the Mosin rifle was called a 3 line rifle... even though it is a .311 calibre rifle). It was the early 1900s when it got smokeless powder, a pointed spitzer bullet and new metric sights...

    Otherwise very good... and BTW the German experts in optics they talk about that influenced the design of the optics... there was plenty of investment by the Soviet Union in German gun and optics technology, but most of that was destroyed by the German invasion of the country.... it is only fair German scientists were used to take up the slack... so to speak.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10085
    Points : 10575
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am

    SVDM looks terrific!!



    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1962055.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7255
    Points : 7555
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  sepheronx on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:34 am

    So is this SK-16 being seriously considered? Or is this simply just something for the far future?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3905
    Points : 3936
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:36 pm

    sepheronx wrote:So is this SK-16 being seriously considered? Or is this simply just something for the far future?

    SK-16 is typical Halo product from Izhmash. They did a lot of those, just to put forward their know-how. there's literally nothing wrong with the SVD(S/M) what ever. You could even dress the Dragunov System up like the SK without using a gas trap. Same deal was for AK400. It's just projects going on and off to steay active in R&D and maybe have foreign sales.

    The AK-400 should be a killer in places like Vietnam. Far superior system vs Galil.

    par far
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1346
    Points : 1499
    Join date : 2014-06-26

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  par far on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

    George1 wrote:SVDM looks terrific!!



    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1962055.html


    Do we have any information about the SVDM?

    Range
    Accuracy
    Scope
    Barrel length


    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1495
    Points : 1533
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:39 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:So is this SK-16 being seriously considered? Or is this simply just something for the far future?

    SK-16 is typical Halo product from Izhmash. They did a lot of those, just to put forward their know-how. there's literally nothing wrong with the SVD(S/M) what ever. You could even dress the Dragunov System up like the SK without using a gas trap. Same deal was for AK400. It's just projects going on and off to steay active in R&D and maybe have foreign sales.

    The AK-400 should be a killer in places like Vietnam. Far superior system vs Galil.

    what is so much better in AK-400 comparing with other derivatives?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3905
    Points : 3936
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:38 am

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:So is this SK-16 being seriously considered? Or is this simply just something for the far future?

    SK-16 is typical Halo product from Izhmash. They did a lot of those, just to put forward their know-how. there's literally nothing wrong with the SVD(S/M) what ever. You could even dress the Dragunov System up like the SK without using a gas trap. Same deal was for AK400. It's just projects going on and off to steay active in R&D and maybe have foreign sales.

    The AK-400 should be a killer in places like Vietnam. Far superior system vs Galil.

    what is so much better in AK-400 comparing with other derivatives?

    Three things.

    It's a short stroke action, which renders the bolt carrier and bolt lighter as the rod is separate from bolt carrier. This means that the mass of the bolt and bolt carrier is not able to inflict as much "recoil" when it hits on the "buffer plate" that is fixed and spring loaded to the receiver.
    The short stroke action has a gas port, which is identical to the SVD, that allows for a better cleaner use of suppressors and also muzzle loaded grenades.
    Muzzle device is straight out of the AK12.
    Top cover is totally serrated on both ends. One lever on the rear receiver (like the Drag), but with a different mechanism and one springloaded, latched front serration like AN94. This means that it is possible to actually put a rail compatible sight system, all while also preserving the ability to have an Soviet legacy Unified mount system.
    Then there's the aperture rear sight, the freefloating had guard and generally the stiffer platform (1.5mm steel).

    Things that haven't changed, selector, ammunition, loading handle side.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:54 pm

    The new 9mm calibre will be an interesting addition to the Russian calibre collection... by my reckoning they will have had the 9x18mm Makarov, the 9x19mm Parabellum, 9x21mm, and they played with a 9x30mm Grom cartridge for SMGs for a while, plus they also have the 9 x 39mm subsonic round for the AS and VSS and other weapons, and they have the 9.3x62mm for the SVDK I believe...

    The new round is a 9 x 69mm so it is slightly larger in calibre to the .338 LM round which has the designation of 8.6 x 70mm, or 8.58 x 70mm.... even though its actual case measurement is given as 69.2mm.

    Would be interesting to see if they mass produced a ball version of the ammo for a heavy PKP with a semi auto rifle like the heavy AK12 model as the much larger round would allow both weapons to reach out and touch better at ranges in the 1,200m to 1,500m range with accuracy and lethality.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1495
    Points : 1533
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:20 am

    In case you did not see perspective developments thread Smile

    Smart bullet sees the target
    https://rg.ru/2016/07/19/sekretnaia-boevaia-tehnika-vpervye-proshla-ispytanie-uchebnym-boem.html

    How will change gear for the Russian infantry?
    Andrey Grigoriev: Now we are developing a new composite barrels , which are much lighter than usual. Created a fundamentally new family of bullets, for example, of two or more metals, with a special armor-piercing long-range properties. Designed intelligent scopes, advanced sniper rocket complex with a controllable bullet, and more.
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1495
    Points : 1533
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:59 am




    Update:

    In Russia began testing "smart bullets" in guided mode

    Already completed the stages of design and experimental development of products in the unmanaged mode

    MOSCOW, July 19. /TASS/. The Russian advanced research Foundation (DRF) began testing "smart bullets" in controlled flight, said in an interview with TASS Deputy Director General of the organization Vitaly Davydov.

    "Work in this direction continues. Completed the design and experimental testing of the product in unmanaged mode, tested in controlled flight," he said.
    The Fund had planned to test "smart bullets," which should hit targets at a distance of ten miles, in the last year.




    http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3467018












    GunshipDemocracy wrote:In case you did not see perspective developments thread Smile

    Smart bullet sees the target
    https://rg.ru/2016/07/19/sekretnaia-boevaia-tehnika-vpervye-proshla-ispytanie-uchebnym-boem.html

    How will change gear for the Russian infantry?
    Andrey Grigoriev: Now we are developing a new composite barrels , which are much lighter than usual. Created a fundamentally new family of bullets, for example, of two or more metals, with a special armor-piercing long-range properties. Designed intelligent scopes, advanced sniper rocket complex with a controllable bullet, and more.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4496
    Points : 4675
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 pm

    GunshipDemocracy wrote:


    Update:

    In Russia began testing "smart bullets" in guided mode

    Already completed the stages of design and experimental development of products in the unmanaged mode

    MOSCOW, July 19. /TASS/. The Russian advanced research Foundation (DRF) began testing "smart bullets" in controlled flight, said in an interview with TASS Deputy Director General of the organization Vitaly Davydov.

    "Work in this direction continues. Completed the design and experimental testing of the product in unmanaged mode, tested in controlled flight," he said.
    The Fund had planned to test "smart bullets," which should hit targets at a distance of ten miles, in the last year.




    http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/3467018












    GunshipDemocracy wrote:In case you did not see perspective developments thread Smile

    Smart bullet sees the target
    https://rg.ru/2016/07/19/sekretnaia-boevaia-tehnika-vpervye-proshla-ispytanie-uchebnym-boem.html

    How will change gear for the Russian infantry?
    Andrey Grigoriev: Now we are developing a new composite barrels , which are much lighter than usual. Created a fundamentally new family of bullets, for example, of two or more metals, with a special armor-piercing long-range properties. Designed intelligent scopes, advanced sniper rocket complex with a controllable bullet, and more.

    15 years ago similar projects to this (in the US) seemed like gold-plated white elephants, and eventually became failures...so whats the difference? We're in the age of Photonics, within the coming years we'll see a brave-new-world in ultra-miniaturization, with Photonic microchips with thousands of CPU cores (yes you heard right), that make developments like this possible. So in the coming 10 years you'll see this technology applied to heavy sniper units and vehicle autocannons. Before, going above 12.7x108mm anti-material rifles was not real popular, due to the fact that it would increase size thus creating cumbersome weight, and even the increased velocity would likely still be inaccurate at increased ranges when you factor in optics. With this it seems possible that a man portable 14x114mm anti-material rifle, and a small air-droppable UGV based 23x115mm, 23x152mm, and 30x165mm sniper-autocannon system could be created to liquidate targets at extended ranges, with optical/electro-optical guidance for short-ranges and radio command guidance at extended ranges. The increase in capability for AFV's and SHORAD vehicles may even be greater, with the help of mobile command posts and more robust guidance systems/vehicles, radio commanded rounds could be guided dozens or potentially even hundreds at a time could be guided accurately at ground and air targets.
    avatar
    TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1662
    Points : 1823
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  TheArmenian on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:39 pm

    SVK



    avatar
    Arctic_Fox
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 136
    Points : 143
    Join date : 2015-05-02
    Age : 24
    Location : Brazil

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Arctic_Fox on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:50 am











    avatar
    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3905
    Points : 3936
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 am

    2 different calibres for the SVK...
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1495
    Points : 1533
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:

    15 years ago similar projects to this (in the US) seemed like gold-plated white elephants, and eventually became failures...so whats the difference?

    you mean like this ?   Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil


    BTW i remember during commie times in Poland was one brilliant electronic engineer - he proposed  advanced to those times solution of sound recording. Commission reject dhis proposal  to go into prod.Why? because they did not do it in USA  Razz  Razz  Razz



    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    We're in the age of Photonics, within the coming years we'll see a brave-new-world in ultra-miniaturization, with Photonic microchips with thousands of CPU cores (yes you heard right), that make developments like this possible. So in the coming 10 years you'll see this technology applied to heavy sniper units and vehicle autocannons. Before, going above 12.7x108mm anti-material rifles was not real popular, due to the fact that it would increase size thus creating cumbersome weight, and even the increased velocity would likely still be inaccurate at increased ranges when you factor in optics. With this it seems possible that a man portable 14x114mm anti-material rifle, and a small air-droppable UGV based 23x115mm, 23x152mm, and 30x165mm sniper-autocannon system could be created to liquidate targets at extended ranges, with optical/electro-optical guidance for short-ranges and radio command guidance at extended ranges. The increase in capability for AFV's and SHORAD vehicles may even be greater, with the help of mobile command posts and more robust guidance systems/vehicles, radio commanded rounds could be guided dozens or potentially even hundreds at a time could be guided accurately at ground and air targets.

    or rocket assisted guided bullet? simple to correct flight path or like in US small gyroscope[/quote]
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    sniper rifles

    Post  GarryB on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:50 am

    http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sniper-rifles/rus/svk-e.html

    Interesting that the page regarding the SVDK mentions the 7.62 x 54R calibre version can use standard Dragunov magazines but that it also has 15 and 20 round mags... presumably able also to be used on Dragunov SVDs.

    To be honest I don't really like the new plastic look... I did like the VS-121 bullpup model... a tidied up version of that with a 20 round mag can be sent to my address for testing any time.

    This MA compact assault rifle seems to be an AKS-74U replacement... which surprises me as a bullpup version could be as small but with a barrel length to make it more effective... but with duplicated controls it looks easy enough to use with little chance of snagging gear on it.

    I assume these sand coloured models are intended to appeal to the Middle East users...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16054
    Points : 16685
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  GarryB on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am

    So the information about the new 9x69mm ammo, which is basically a 338LM round necked out to a 9mm calibre round suggests that this would be the "other" calibre for the VS-121.

    So that means it would come in 7.62 x 54mm, 7.62 x 51mm, and 9 x 69mm calibre.

    With the improved trigger and heavy barrel I would suspect in the two former calibres it should be effective out to 1km with good ammo, and likely 1.5km with the latter ammo.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1662
    Points : 1823
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  TheArmenian on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:34 am

    Here is the motherload of pictures of the guns shown at the Army-2016 exhibition:

    6 Pages

    https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/soustov/album/167135?

    and here is the first video of the SVK


    avatar
    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3905
    Points : 3936
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:03 pm

    TheArmenian wrote:Here is the motherload of pictures of the guns shown at the Army-2016 exhibition:

    6 Pages

    https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/soustov/album/167135?

    and here is the first video of the SVK



    Ironically the stock they had prepared for the AK-12 now is slapped to the SVK...(and probably all the rest of the lineup in the future).
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10085
    Points : 10575
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  George1 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:09 am

    Russia Launches the World’s Lightest Heavy Sniper Rifle Ever

    Read more: https://sputniknews.com/russia/20161003/1045951766/russia-snipers-rifle.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov


    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:44 am