Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 am

Two more photos

This first one's really interesting.

This is an upgraded SVDS with a thermal scope.

The second one's an upgraded SR-3M with that slightly EOTech-ish sight attached to it.

Last edited by Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Sniper Rifles and Units

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:14 am

Seems they are better than foreign rifles:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.com&tl=en&u=http://www.orsis.com/support/publications/78726/&usg=ALkJrhh3e5boQTyKR24mBDh-5q73SRMbeA

That was pretty quick... just two years ago Russian sniper rifles were all crap and to have anything decent they needed foreign rifles that resulted in Steyr purchases of sniper rifles.

Now Russian rifles are winning world competitions.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:20 am

Looks to me like a standard SVDS with folding stock, though it does appear to have rail mounts, I have seen that bipod configuration before and I don't think a free floating barrel is possible with such a gas operated rifle.

Nice photos though... thanks for posting. Smile

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:26 am

Note in this photo a larger calibre SVD which appears to have the scope on the top cover with the old long muzzle flash hider and to the left a couple of SVDS rifles with the shorter muzzle device and bipods.

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:27 am

GarryB wrote:Looks to me like a standard SVDS with folding stock, though it does appear to have rail mounts, I have seen that bipod configuration before and I don't think a free floating barrel is possible with such a gas operated rifle.

Nice photos though... thanks for posting. Smile

It seems I need to stop using what I read on the Firearm Blog as a good source of information Laughing

Thanks for the heads up Garry, I'll edit out the misinformation.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am

I am glad you posted them.

There are lots of experts of all sorts around the place and none of them are always right in my experience and that includes me.

I find admitting when I make a mistake and learning new stuff is the best way to deal with it. clown

And never take yourself too seriously... if I am wrong... it is not the end of the world.

The key is to be respectful and not nasty or personal.

Sadly that is not common on the web and anonymity gives great size to very small people (I am not talking about physical size you understand) and some people feel big by making others feel small.

Glad the people here are all interested in discussion and learning and it is not about ego.

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:19 am

GarryB wrote:I find admitting when I make a mistake and learning new stuff is the best way to deal with it. clown

Glad the people here are all interested in discussion and learning and it is not about ego.

I strongly agree with both of those statements.

On topic though. .

I have a quick question: Is that the Shakhin(or whatever) thermal scope on that SVDS or is it of foreign manufacture?
    Also, who manufactures those collaminator sights being used on the AK-107s and SR-3Ms?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:48 am

This is the Shakhin thermal weapon scope, and as you can see it is more angular than the scope shown.

I would need to know more about the source of the image before I comment on its origin... is it in service, or testing.

It appears to have a rounded shape to it, but Russian optics companies are in the process of mastering 2nd and 3rd gen thermal imagers so it could come from any of a number of makers.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Shakhin scope in use...

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Can anyone recognize these 3 types of weapons?

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 pm

SVDS with aftermarket stock

T-5000 from ORSIS

AK-107 with 60 round mag

*Still trying to figure out what model of collimator sight that is

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 am

This new photo from the side shows the scope is new, the system is called Ratnik and is about their third iteration of a super soldier system. The first two were called Permyachka I and II.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:45 am

SVDS with standard black stock, bipod attachment, new design folding stock, and rail mount on the top of the receiver for optics.

for others see Zivos post.

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 am

Good catch, thanks.

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:47 am

I just noticed the T-5000 was missing its bolt during that photoshoot.

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:48 am

Zivo wrote:I just noticed the T-5000 was missing its bolt during that photoshoot.

It's because the photos are staged. Maybe he was in the process of cleaning it and a camera crew asked him to get up and pose for a picture, who knows. It's also probably the reason they have their fingers on the trigger when they shouldn't (at least that's what I'm hoping. .)

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 am

These sexy new rifles make SV-98 look like peasant crap.

It's like an Atlas compared to a Teodore!
    Borderlands anyone Very Happy ?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:00 pm

At a recent shooting match the T-5000 came first, a Sako TRG came second and an SV-98 came third.

The SV-98 is not a bad rifle and should be rather accurate.

I actually think the older SV-98 looks better than the new model with the folding stock because the latter just looks like all the other new plastic sniper rifles... though I think it would look better in black rather than green, and of course modern resin/thermoplastic rather than wood.

I just noticed the T-5000 was missing its bolt during that photoshoot.

When the mission is to get your photo taken, then the bolt... along with ammo become surplus to requirements.

It's also probably the reason they have their fingers on the trigger when they shouldn't (at least that's what I'm hoping. .)

I rather doubt they would have their best trained special forces acting as clothes horses for the media...

Besides when there is no bolt in the weapon... "trigger discipline" is just anal.

Mr.Kalishnikov47
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Mr.Kalishnikov47 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:14 am

Ah, just what I was hoping for, some footage from TvZvezda.

It's nothing amazing, but I think it's worth posting

http://tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201209280954-l5ih.htm

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 pm

http://nightvision.ru/en/catalog/5/item/158

Could be redesigned Dedal-T thermal imaging scope.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:41 am

Certainly could be.

It is funny that a few years ago none of the Russian optics companies even mentioned thermal sights, but now most of them have sections on thermal weapons scopes and hand held viewers.

KomissarBojanchev
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Russian Sniper Rifles and units: Discussion

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 pm

This rifle has a pretty cool calibre  9x64mm but just how useful is it? Can it be fired while standing and is its role an itermediate  type between the 7,62mm sniper rifles and the 50 cal AMRs? Has it entered service yet?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 pm

It was initially intended as a calibre to use against enemy troops with vests on out to 600m or so.

In many ways it is a bit like a 7.62 x 54Rmm round but with a much heavier bullet.

It appears as though they have dropped their interest in the round in favour of their own version of the 338LM round which has rather better performance, including accuracy to 1,500m with good effect against vest wearing targets.

The 9.3 x 64mm is a popular hunting calibre in Europe so it might sell as a sporting weapon guess, but for shorter range work to 600m or so they now have the 12.7 x 55mm round which combines bullet weight with subsonic options as well.

SWAT Pointman
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  SWAT Pointman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 pm

I always thought the .338 Lapua was overpowered. Something like a 7mm remington magnum would be more suitable I think.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 am

The key is transonic bullet speed.

When bullets change from supersonic to subsonic speed they can be quite erratic and their accuracy can suffer.

For most modern 308s that speed transition is between 800m and 1,000m or so, though a special long range bullet of optimum shape can improve it.

The problem for most armies however is that their standard 308s are accurate and effective to 800-900m or so, and a decent rifle costs $5-$8 thousands dollars and weighs about 6-7kgs. The other weapons they commonly have are 50 cal weapons that can weigh from 12-15kgs that have effective ranges up to 2km or more but as well as being heavy are very expensive... often $20-$25 thousand dollars.

The 338 LM round in its original form was optimised for the 1,000-1,200m range in a rifle that weighs 8-10kgs and costs $10-$12 thousand dollars.

It basically fills a gap in range performance and also in weight and cost.

If you want to shoot at vehicles or targets wearing body armour at max range then a 50 cal or even 57 cal can do the job, but if you want to just sit out of small arms fire range but not carry a rifle that weighs so much it needs two men to carry it then a 338LM fits that gap.

The new 338LM probably has an effective range of 1.5km so in many cases targets that would otherwise have required a heavy expensive 50 cal can be taken with a lighter cheaper rifle.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:24 am

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:24 am