Flyingdutchman
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Re: Project 1164 Atlant: Slava Class cruiser

Post  Flyingdutchman on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm

AlfaT8 wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Murmansk.
    When is it leaving for the Mediterranean?? Wink 
    http://inserbia.info/news/2013/08/russian-aircraft-carrier-admiral-kuznetsov-to-be-sent-to-syrias-tartus/

http://thediplomat.com/the-editor/2013/09/04/russias-aircraft-carrier-to-visit-syrian-naval-base/

Notio
    Private
    Private

Post  Notio on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 am

Flyingdutchman wrote:Syria Is not the reason they sended ships to the mediterranean. But  if all the arleigh burkes fire missiles at syria, is 4x 96 missiles is much much too much for the slava to intercept them but probably the us wont fire them all so the slava will be able to intercept alot of them. But as i was saying before they are not sending them for the conflict in syria.
    They don't carry 96 Tomahawks per ship. There is 96 Mark 41 VLS-cells per ship, but the same cells are also used for Harpoons and SAM-missiles. I think 56 tomahawks is in practice the maximum and it is plenty.

Flyingdutchman
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Flyingdutchman on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Notio wrote:
    Flyingdutchman wrote:Syria Is not the reason they sended ships to the mediterranean. But  if all the arleigh burkes fire missiles at syria, is 4x 96 missiles is much much too much for the slava to intercept them but probably the us wont fire them all so the slava will be able to intercept alot of them. But as i was saying before they are not sending them for the conflict in syria.
    They don't carry 96 Tomahawks per ship. There is 96 Mark 41 VLS-cells per ship, but the same cells are also used for Harpoons and SAM-missiles. I think 56 tomahawks is in practice the maximum and it is plenty.
    I know there are not tomahawks in all the cells the ESSM missile to and they dont fire harpoons from the cells they use tomahawks for anti-ships to.

Notio
    Private
    Private

Post  Notio on Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:24 am

Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    I know there are not tomahawks in all the cells the ESSM missile to and they dont fire harpoons from the cells they use tomahawks for anti-ships to.
    WRONG. There is no such thing as anti-ship Tomahawk in service. It was withdrawn in 1990. Harpoon is used, except from Flight IIA on.

Flyingdutchman
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Flyingdutchman on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:58 am

Notio wrote:
    Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    WRONG. There is no such thing as anti-ship Tomahawk in service. It was withdrawn in 1990. Harpoon is used, except from Flight IIA on.
    WRONG tactical tomahawk is used for anti-ship to.
    Search on the web.

Flyingdutchman
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Flyingdutchman on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Notio wrote:
    Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    http://navy-matters.blogspot.nl/2012/08/new-anti-ship-missiles.html?m=1

Notio
    Private
    Private

Post  Notio on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    Search on the web.
    How about you read the link you yourself provited? There is a plan for a new anti-ship Tomahawk, scheduled for operational capability in 2015. So WRONG again, boy, there is no anti-ship Tomahawk in use. I don't wanna read an another answer from you before you develop a capability for reading and comprehension. Capish?

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Russian Patriot on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Notio wrote:
    Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    Flyingdutchman wrote:
    Notio wrote:
    Search on the web.
    How about you read the link you yourself provited? There is a plan for a new anti-ship Tomahawk, scheduled for operational capability in 2015. So WRONG again, boy, there is no anti-ship Tomahawk in use. I don't wanna read an another answer from you before you develop a capability for reading and comprehension. Capish?

Excuse me, did you just tell a member what I think you did? Warning issued- RP

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 pm

175 million $ for Ukraine completion. Small amount if you ask me. If that ship has sea worthiness I think Russia should go for it. 

Named the cost of completion of the missile cruiser "Ukraine"

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:37 pm

thumbsup  feels like you are on it  respekt 

Interactive Slava class map

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Nice find ty.

runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  runaway on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:41 pm

They could just install slanted UKSK that Gary showed on old corvettes. No need to do a big deep rebuilding, and i dont see need for nuclear power. Burke class DDG has not nukepower, still it belongs to carrier task forces.

I guess we will se 2015 missile replacement with 8 slanted UKSK, 32 Oniks/clubs. With new AESA and Sigma added to new missile complex it will almost be a new cruiser.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 am

They could just install slanted UKSK that Gary showed on old corvettes. No need to do a big deep rebuilding, and i dont see need for nuclear power. Burke class DDG has not nukepower, still it belongs to carrier task forces.

The cheapest option would be to insert about three tubes down the existing tubes.

That would give 3 x 24 = 72 tubes.

Nuke power means they can go when and where they like and wont need strategically placed weapons, fuel and food and supplies around the world... a carrier group is only as fast as its slowest member.

Plus production of nuclear power plants could reduce costs.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  runaway on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:49 am

GarryB wrote:The cheapest option would be  to insert about three tubes down the existing tubes.

That would give  3 x 24 = 72 tubes.

Nuke power means they can go when and where they like and wont need strategically placed weapons, fuel and food and supplies around the world... a carrier group is only as fast as its slowest member.

Plus production of nuclear power plants could reduce costs.

I get 3 x 16= 48 tubes.
    I doubt Kutznetsov will have nuke but certainly new CV will have it. As only Kirov have nuke power today i think tankers will do. New seagoing tank ships are on the way, as are supply ships.
    Marshal Ustinov will likely be rebased to pacific fleet in 2014 if overhaul are completed.
    The former Admiral Lobov is a no go, a ship that has rusted for 23! years and a design that needs extensive rebuilding. Better to build addional Gorshkovs.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:31 am

well duh... sorry... having a blonde moment... I was thinking of the upgrade for the Oscars where the cheapest and simplest solution was to put three UKSK launch tubes in each Granit tube (of which there are 24).

With the Slava class of course each pair of missiles could be replaced with an 8 tube launch bin on an angle, which means 8 x 8 = 64 missiles.

I doubt Kutznetsov will have nuke but certainly new CV will have it. As only Kirov have nuke power today i think tankers will do.

They have been working on more powerful compact nuclear power plants for some time and I suspect the Kuznetsov was to be the first to test them as an upgrade but it seem more likely they could be fitted in the new upgrade of the Kirov in docks. Ships that size really benefit from nuke propulsion and the excess electrical generation power should make EM cats on the K much more likely... which means fixed wing AEW aircraft.... which extends the sight of the group... which is always a desirable thing.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  runaway on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:37 pm

"MOSCOW, December 13 (RIA Novosti) – The Russian Navy missile cruiser Marshal Ustinov is expected to rejoin the fleet in 2015 following delays in the warship’s refit, the Zvezdochka shipyard said Friday.

The Marshal Ustinov, a Slava-class missile cruiser, was launched in 1982 and commissioned with the Russian Northern Fleet in 1986. It has been undergoing a refit at the Zvezdochka shipyard in northern Russia since 2011.

The completion of the work, which included repair of the propulsion system and overhaul of the ship’s missile, communications and navigation systems, was originally scheduled for 2014. However, diagnostics revealed that the majority of electrical cables on the vessel must be replaced, the yard said.

“Taking into account the significant expansion of repair work, we are planning to return the Marshal Ustinov to the navy in 2015,” the shipyard’s general director, Vladimir Nikitin said in an exclusive interview with RIA Novosti.

Nikitin said two other Slava-class missiles cruisers in active service with the Russian navy – the Black Sea Fleet’s Moskva and the Pacific Fleet’s Varyag – will also undergo scheduled maintenance and overhaul at Zvezdochka in future.

The Slava-class cruisers were designed as surface strike ships with some anti-air and ASW capability, and have a primary armament of sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles."

Nothing of replaceing of missile system, just overhaul. And nothing about other systems, however, SIGMA battle control system is certainly included.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TR1 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Is that a surprise guys? I've been translating that its just an overhaul for the past 2 years Very Happy .

There is absolutely no "deep" modernization planned as of yet.
    However the situation is interesting- they mentioned the cabling all needed replacing (that shit is time consuming, see Vikra), and engine will be partially replaced- so in terms of working condition the ships could go another decade easily (post overhaul mind you, not from todays date) and that is without further round of overhaul (this time with modernization).

The question post repair is what to do with main caliber. Fort replacement is easy, plug in S-400, or if you want to go even more straight forward just put in Fort-M. The changes are minimal as far as the ship is concerned.
    Bazalt/Vulkan replacement requires a much more significant work around, I honestly don't see them replacing the bins for Onyx....I think they will just keep making the necessary number of Vulkans and call it a day. The missile will still be a monster in 2020.

I think this is the way to go, no deep modernization after Zvezdochka is done with the ships. No need for new cruisers until these guys are ready to retire next decade, and by that time the new destroyers will be ready and the question of if cruisers are at all needed can be addressed.

EDIT: Forgot, there is also the Osa, which is not getting any younger. I wonder if the deck space could be used to plug in a Kinzhal bin, I think that would be ideal, especially with the new Tor missile. Although Kinzhal is supposedly out of production.....yeah I think they will just keep Osa Sad .

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 am

Maybe replace Osa and the AK-630s with Palma.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 am

Although Kinzhal is supposedly out of production.....yeah I think they will just keep Osa

Perhaps they could unify the design and use TOR-M3 missiles at sea?

Just use the drop in vertical launch tubes without the naval rotary arrangement to increase the numbers of ready to use missiles.

The missiles themselves are cheap and making a few extra 10,000 for naval use will make production even cheaper overall.

BTW to be of any use all future new and upgraded vessels need Sigma to be installed to share data and provide communications.

Inclined launch bins for UKSK launchers would not be that expensive and the result is the withdrawl of an old missile system that would need a separate set of maintainence and handling tools to keep in service.

Standardisation really only works if it is fully implemented as quickly as possible.

Maybe replace Osa and the AK-630s with Palma.

Palma is low cost alternative... they want to protect these old ships so I say Duet guns, Pantsir-S1 gun/missile systems, and TOR-M3 based missiles in new compact stealthy mounts.

The enormous array of sensors and antennas can be consolidated into a few systems to reduce weight and improve performance.

runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  runaway on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:53 am

Now with the Komsomolets, then Admiral Flota Lobov nowUkrayina ("Ukraine"), it will for sure be scrapped. A pity it wasnt moored at sevastopol...

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:18 am

runaway wrote:Now with the Komsomolets, then Admiral Flota Lobov nowUkrayina ("Ukraine"), it will for sure be scrapped. A pity it wasnt moored at sevastopol...

what happened to this after crimea annexation? still in sevastopol??

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:06 am

Marshal Ustinov

Vympel
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Vympel on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Marshal Ustinov refit:

MR-600 radar has been replaced with MR-700 (where'd they get it?).

The S-300F radar is still there, but has scaffolding ...

runaway
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  runaway on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 am

The Slavas are beautiful and massive ships, and refitting them makes alot of sense since new cruisers will be a very long way of.
    With modern electronics they will be up to date, but i notice the sandbox missiles is still there, perhaps it isnt doable with VLS cells on her? What about Sam´s, is the OSA-M still there?

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Missile cruiser "Marshal Ustinov" Project 1164 "Atlas" will return to the Navy at the end of 2015

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:37 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:37 pm