Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russia-South Korea Military cooperation

airstrike
    airstrike

Russia-South Korea Military cooperation Empty Russia-South Korea Military cooperation

Post  airstrike on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:55 pm

Russia to buy back T-80 tanks and BMP-3 IFVs from South Korea

http://echelon-defense.com/2016/09/06/russia-to-buy-back-t-80-tanks-abd-bmp-3-ifvs-from-south-korea/
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Russia-South Korea Military cooperation Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:01 am

airstrike wrote:Russia to buy back T-80 tanks and BMP-3 IFVs from South Korea

http://echelon-defense.com/2016/09/06/russia-to-buy-back-t-80-tanks-abd-bmp-3-ifvs-from-south-korea/

seems a bit strange surely Russia has enough T-80's to use as spare parts and BMP-3 as well. And T-80 are being slowly phased out. Would be nice to send them to Syria for SAA and Hez. lol
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russia-South Korea Military cooperation Empty Re: Russia-South Korea Military cooperation

Post  GarryB on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:17 am

It is most likely like the US wanting to buy back Australias Hornets so it can sell them new F-35s.

Except in this case I suspect Russian will likely be offering South Korea a tank and an IFV rather more potent than the ones they already have... unlike the US offer to Australia...
    eehnie
    eehnie

Russia-South Korea Military cooperation Empty Re: Russia-South Korea Military cooperation

Post  eehnie on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:44 pm

GarryB wrote:It is most likely like the US wanting to buy back Australias Hornets so it can sell them new F-35s.

Except in this case I suspect Russian will likely be offering South Korea a tank and an IFV rather more potent than the ones they already have... unlike the US offer to Australia...

This would be right if Russia and South Korea would be allies like the US and Australia are.

I think more that Russia wants to retire these weapons from South Korea giving them some money that will not be enough for South Korea to replace them by American equivalent warfare.
    whir

Post  whir on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:15 pm

eehnie wrote:I think more that Russia wants to retire these weapons from South Korea giving them some money that will not be enough for South Korea to replace them by American equivalent warfare.
    Wishful thinking, it's just a simple repurchase since those tanks were the secured deposit of a loan.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:53 pm

whir wrote:
    eehnie wrote:I think more that Russia wants to retire these weapons from South Korea giving them some money that will not be enough for South Korea to replace them by American equivalent warfare.
    Wishful thinking, it's just a simple repurchase since those tanks were the secured deposit of a loan.

Then South Korea will pay more or less to replace them...
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:48 pm

South Korea took the T-80 as debt repayment in the first place.

AFAIK they have been popular and done the job required... but I suspect Russia would prefer to sell them T-90s instead.

I also suspect they will want to sell them upgraded BMP-3s with better hull arrangements and perhaps better armament.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:42 pm

I doubt seriously Russia wants to put T-90s together with the tanks of the US.

The alone goal of these T-90 in their entire life would be to defend the land from troops of the north (and I mean not from North Korea), or to go to the north together with the US tanks.

So, no. Nothing of this is in the interest of Rusia.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 am

I think Russia wants to turn South Korea away from its dependence and focus on the US and one of the best ways to do that is to start selling them weapons technology, and developing joint developments with them...

Russia has to expand the countries it trades with.

It has pretty much lost most of its eastern european market for political reasons... though given time that might come back to an extent, but Russia can't just ignore US aligned countries... previously it offered excellent prices and rugged and effective if not totally sophisticated equipment.

The new stuff is as sophisticated as any western stuff but the price has not increased to equal western equipment... an opportunity...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:16 pm