Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+13
TMA1
JohninMK
lyle6
LMFS
Tsavo Lion
brissonkov
MMBR
George1
eehnie
GarryB
calripson
franco
Benya
17 posters

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments)

Benya
    Benya

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments)

Post  Benya Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Today I have done some editing to the Western Military District's unit list

After a bit of research, I have found out that the 19th Heavy SP Artillery Battalion and the 18th Heavy SP Mortar Battalion (both units garrisoned at Tambov) have been merged into the 45th Heavy Artillery Brigade. The other interesting thing is that the unit uses 2S7M "Malkas" (modernized variant of the 2S7 "Pion" heavy SP howitzer). So I added the new brigade.

• (45 ABr BM) 45th Heavy Artillery Brigade (Tambov, Tambov region)

-Equipment: 12 2S7M "Malka" 203mm heavy self-propelled howitzers, 8 2S4 "Tyulpan" 240mm heavy self-propelled mortars

Next up, I found some info on the newly formed 3rd Motor Rifle Division, so I've edited its TO&E too

Here they are:

-(752 MSP) 732nd Motor Rifle Regiment (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

-Equipment:

-(xxx MSP) xxx Motor Rifle Regiment (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

-Equipment:

Somewhat similar news about the 144th Motor Rifle Division:

-(488 MSP) 488th Motor Rifle Regiment (Klintsiy, Bryansk region)

-Equipment:

-(xxx MSP) xxx Motor Rifle Regiment (Klintsiy, Bryansk region)

-Equipment:

-(148 ORB) 148th Detached Reconaissance Battalion (Smolensk, Smolensk region)

-Equipment:

A new motor rifle regiment for the 4th Guards "Kantemirovskaya" Tank Division is under forming:

-(432 MSP) 432nd Motor Rifle Regiment (Naro-Fominsk, Moscow region)

-Equipment:

For me, it is very interesting to find out some fresh info about new units.

I fixed a load of typos too. Very Happy
    GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 Empty Re: Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments)

Post  GarryB Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:17 am

Future Russian armored divisions will have I assume three brigades of three battalions each ? How many tanks and IFV are in a battalion ? I assume the plan is to equip armored brigades with T-14 and T-15. Will motorized infantry brigades get Kurganetz or T-15 ? Where do the Bumerangs fit in

The equipment of an armoured division was dictated by several factors... the terrain it would operate on, the sort of enemy it would face, its distance from the front lines in any future conflict, and the sort of thing it was near... ie what was it protecting.

There were pretty much two basic types of division... tank heavy and infantry heavy but both had both tanks and infantry and were useful for different types of opponents on different types of terrain.

There will be rather more different types of future Russian armoured divisions.

The whole purpose of vehicle families is to reduce the different types of vehicles within each division.

In a tank division now you have a huge number of soft skinned vehicles that can be defeated with relatively light anti armour weapons.

Future Heavy tank divisions will be armata based. Future heavy motor rifle divisions will be armata based. That is the whole idea.

Depending on the mobility level required future medium tank divisions might be Kurganets based if there are few roads and lots of swamps and difficult country. In areas where roads are plentiful then a medium tank division might have boomerang based divisions. They wont mix them because the situation and location will either suit wheeled or tracked. The motor rifle units will use the same vehicle base so the logistics tail need only carry equipment and tools and spares for one vehicle family type.

For light recon type units and for light coin operations the typhoon will be standard.

Previously if the terrain was poor then BMPs would be preferred over BTRs due to their better cross country performance... in fact in snowy regions MTLB based troop transports were preferred to BMPs for the same reason.

Currently here are 3 types of motor rifle brigades:

1. Equipped with BTR-80 APCs. These units will be reequipped with Boomerang APCs/IFVs.

2. Equipped with MT-LB APCs. MT-LBs will be replaced with Kurganets APCs/IFVs (Mostly APCs, I think)

3. Equipped with BMPs. Most of these units are using the BMP-2 variant, but there are several brigades that are using BMP-3. Older BMP-1s are retired and are kept in reserve. Kurganets IFVs/APCs (Mostly IFVs) will replace the current BMPs.

For future armored brigades, I'm not exactly sure, but I think they will have to be equipped with T-15 heavy IFVs, since it's based on the same platform as the T-14, and we are talking about Armata brigades.

Kurganets brigades will get Kurganets vehicles for troop transport or MBT or ambulance or anti tank or anti aircraft and everything else.

Boomerang brigades will get boomerang vehicles for troop transport or MBT or ambulance or anti tank or anti aircraft and everything else.

Armata brigades will get armata vehicles for troop transport or MBT or ambulance or anti tank or anti aircraft and everything else.

That is the whole point of vehicle families.

ZU-23-2 23mm (it would be an improvement to see them replaced by ZSU-23-4 Shilkas).

That is not how it works... if they only had ZU-23-2 then the ZSU-23-4 probably would not be a suitable replacement. Some sort of towed twin barrel 30mm cannon would make rather more sense.

2B9 Vasilyok 82mm (it would be an improvement to see them replaced by other portable/man-portable mortar of 120mm or of 82mm).

The Vasilyok is a potent little weapon that is relatively mobile... being a wheeled system. I really could not see a man portable 82mm weapon properly replacing it... the 2B9 has a four round clip magazine and is fully automatic. You could not replace it with a hand loaded mortar and still retain the same performance.

As shown in Syria the ZU-23 has a range of uses against both ground and air targets and would not be so easy to replace in some roles.

For instance replacing it with MANPADS would take away its ability to hit ground targets effectively... or small UAVs with small IR signatures...

You can't say they need to upgrade to this or that system without knowing what they are likely to go up against or what resources they have or have not got... and indeed what terrain they need to operate on.

If they can only deploy by helicopter to small clearings on the sides of hills then the ZU-23 is rather more use than a Shilka for example.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:13 am

My take is that the T-15 will replace the BMP's in Tank brigades / regiments, the Kurganets replace BMP brigades / regiments and the Boomerang replaces BTR brigades / regiments. The T-14 replaces all tanks. Those units requiring MT-LBV's will get the new tracked BTR. This will be a slow process of 2-3 brigade / regiments a year or at least 20-25 years.  

For equipment and not counting support vehicles, a Tank battalion (175 men) has 41 tanks in a Motor Rifle unit (4 companies of 10 each plus a commanders tank) or 31 tanks (140 men) in a Tank unit (3 companies of 10 plus a commanders tank). A BMP battalion (482 men) has 37 BMP's and a BTR / MT-LB battalion (510 men) has 40 BTR's. The difference is that the BMP battalion does not require an anti-tank platoon due to each vehicle already having such, while the BTR / MT-LB battalion employees a 3 vehicle anti-tank platoon (28 men).

There will also be enough equipment for 6 brigades / regiments of BMP-3's, 9-10 brigades / regiments of BTR-82A / 82AM and 3-4 brigades / regiments of MT-LBV6M in the interim.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Russian Army starts forming a new Motor Rifle brigade in the Samara region of the Central Military District. The yet to be identified unit will replace the the 23rd brigade which along with the 28th brigade were transferred into the Western district to form the base of the two Motor Rifle divisions being formed there.

https://ria.ru/defense_safety/20161130/1482464568.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:05 am

My take is that the T-15 will replace the BMP's in Tank brigades / regiments, the Kurganets replace BMP brigades / regiments and the Boomerang replaces BTR brigades / regiments. The T-14 replaces all tanks. Those units requiring MT-LBV's will get the new tracked BTR. This will be a slow process of 2-3 brigade / regiments a year or at least 20-25 years.

The point is mobility... strategic and tactical... by shortening the logistics tail.

It would not be a revolutionary concept and vehicle families would not be needed of they were just replacing the T series tanks with Armata and BMPs with Kurganets and BTRs with Boomerang.

There is an IFV version of the Armata and the Kurganets and the Boomerang... it will have a 57mm cannon and also likely missiles like kornet or something newer.

We have seen the MBT Armata but that same turret will also be fitted to Kurganets and Boomerang for the tank role in Kurganets and boomerang units.

I rather suspect the largest number of vehicles will be Boomerang because of their mobility and low cost of operation, though they will rely on new ceramic armour and active and passive defence systems to keep them safe.

Very simply there will be a range of sensors and weapons on a turret and vehicle modifications for each role... ie for the APC role the Armata actually has a front mounted engine and a specific turret and modified rear hull. The Kurganets APC and Boomerang APC will have the same hull features and turret.

If they were going to mix and match the different vehicles in each division there would be no need for an Armata APC... they need an Armata APC because all the other vehicles in the unit will be Armata based so they need an Armata based APC.

Not a totally new concept fundamentally... there are a wide range of MTLB and BTR and BMP and T series tank vehicle modifications like engineer vehicles and command vehicles and artillery and air defence vehicles etc etc. The new concept here is to use one vehicle type in each unit with different modular turrets and arrangements of systems to allow one vehicle type to perform all the roles.

This means the logistics chain just needs one type of track replacement link, spares and equipment for one type of engine and one type of transmission or wheel etc etc.

It means all vehicles in one unit will have the same or similar level of mobility and a similar level of protection for the crew.

In the case of Coalition the turret will likely be no better armoured than MSTA but the crew will enjoy tank levels of protection in the hulls and the same for the other vehicle families with their unmanned turrets.

It does not make them tank tough... a Pantsir in an Armata brigade will have vulnerable missiles and radar and guns and EO turrets but the crew will be in the hull and safe from most infantry weapons.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55 am

franco wrote:My take is that the T-15 will replace the BMP's in Tank brigades / regiments, the Kurganets replace BMP brigades / regiments and the Boomerang replaces BTR brigades / regiments. The T-14 replaces all tanks. Those units requiring MT-LBV's will get the new tracked BTR. This will be a slow process of 2-3 brigade / regiments a year or at least 20-25 years.  

For equipment and not counting support vehicles, a Tank battalion (175 men) has 41 tanks in a Motor Rifle unit (4 companies of 10 each plus a commanders tank) or 31 tanks (140 men) in a Tank unit (3 companies of 10 plus a commanders tank). A BMP battalion (482 men) has 37 BMP's and a BTR / MT-LB battalion (510 men) has 40 BTR's. The difference is that the BMP battalion does not require an anti-tank platoon due to each vehicle already having such, while the BTR / MT-LB battalion employees a 3 vehicle anti-tank platoon (28 men).

There will also be enough equipment for 6 brigades / regiments of BMP-3's,  9-10 brigades / regiments of BTR-82A / 82AM and 3-4 brigades / regiments of MT-LBV6M in the interim.

This is a very logical approach. I think just the same. In the refered to the tracked BTRs replacing the MT-LB, I think the same philosophy will be followed with Armata APC (or T-15, not sure if a low armed armata based APC will be done) in the units with tanks and Kurganets APC in the units without tanks.

I also think the artillery and MRLS units can be totally covered with self propelled pieces based on the Armata, Kurganets and Bumerang platforms. 240mm and 203mm artillery calibers likely only in the Armata platform.

Finally, the Typhoon platform can be likely the basis for other types of independent units (SpetsNaz,...). And the BMD-4M platform can be likely the platform for Airborne Troops and Marine Infantry vehicles.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:34 pm

We have seen the MBT Armata but that same turret will also be fitted to Kurganets and Boomerang for the tank role in Kurganets and boomerang units.

I don't see this happening for the following reasons;

- military has already looked at a wheeled tank and ruled it out
    - have not seen any development of a Kurganents tank.
    - long term plans for 2300 plus Armata's at a time when there are around 2600 tanks fielded in Russian tank battalions
    - believe the original intent was to create single model based units back 10 years ago when the R&D started but the decision to retain a more conventional approach has since been taken.
    - of course I have been wrong before Suspect and undoubtedly again Embarassed

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 am

- have not seen any development of a Kurganents tank.

If they can put a 125mm gun on the Sprut then they can put one on the Kurganets and the Boomerang.

- military has already looked at a wheeled tank and ruled it out

Or did they look at in service foreign wheeled tanks and reject them?

- long term plans for 2300 plus Armata's at a time when there are around 2600 tanks fielded in Russian tank battalions

The CFE agreement limited Russia to 6,000 tanks in Europe... I realise it currently does not apply but gives you an idea of how many tanks they would normally have in theatre... ie 2,500 or so in service and 3,500 in storage/reserve.

Did they say 2,300 Armata MBTs or did they say 2,300 Armatas? Because half will be troop transports even if they don't make any other type.

- believe the original intent was to create single model based units back 10 years ago when the R&D started but the decision to retain a more conventional approach has since been taken.

It has been mentioned several times that these are vehicle families that will expand to include all the vehicle types currently in service...

- of course I have been wrong before Suspect and undoubtedly again Embarassed

And I can say the same... but the whole point is mobility and matching forces to situations/terrains.

The uparmoured BMP-2 was popular in Afghanistan because of its mobility and fire power and to reach high angle targets with its cannon. The BTR-80 was popular because of its mobility, but its light armour let it down... Boomerang will be a cross between a BMP-2 and a BTR-80... especially with active protection and all the likely sophisticated systems it will be fitted with... like audio shot detection systems, night and all weather optics, special NERA armour, likely UAVs and other things to make them more capable on the modern battlefield.
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:49 am

GarryB wrote:Did they say 2,300 Armata MBTs or did they say 2,300 Armatas? Because half will be troop transports even if they don't make any other type.

2,300 T-14 MBTs for sure, and I would say that at least 600-800 T-15 heavy IFVs (for tank divisions/brigades), 60-100 BREM-16 ARVs (4-6 in an Armata brigade, 8-12 in an Armata division), 30-40 TOS-2s heavy flamethrowers (3 vehicles in each NBC defense regiment, plus in some NBC defense brigades) and 60-80 TZM-2 transloaders (2 for each TOS-2), 280-380 BMO-2s (18 in each NBC defense regiment (currently 11 regiments), and in each NBC defense brigade (5 brigades at the moment), plus 3 in every motor rifle brigade's NBC defense company), 800-1000 2S35 Koalitsiya-SV SP howitzers (18-36 in a motor rifle/tank brigade, and at least 36 or more in an artillery brigade). I think that if the Army wants to replace all 2S3 "Akatsiyas", 2S5 "Giatsints" and 2S19 "Mstas" in the long term, they will need a lot of Koalitsiyas.
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 pm

x OvA (x Combined Arms Army) Under forming

• (150 Gv MSD) 150th Guards "Idritsko-Berlinskaya" Motor Rifle Division (Novocherkassk/Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

Units of the division:

- (102 MSP) 120th Motor Rifle Regiment (Maykop, Republic of Adygea - under transfer to Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

-Equipment:

- (xxx MSP) xxx Motor Rifle Regiment

-Equipment:

-Equipment:

- (68 TP) 68th Tank Regiment (Budennovsk, Stavropol region - under transfer to Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

-Equipment:

- (xxx SAP) xxx Self-propelled Artillery Regiment

-Equipment:

- (xxx ZRP) xxx Air Defense Regiment (Millerovo, Rostov region)

-Equipment:

- (xxx ORB) xxx Detached Reconaissance Battalion (Novocherkassk, Rostov region - under transfer to Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

- (xxx OPTAB) xxx Detached Anti-tank Artillery Battalion

-Equipment:

- (xxx OISB) xxx Detached Engineer-sapper Battalion

-Equipment

- (xxx OB S) xxx Detached Signal Battalion

-Equipment:

- (xxx OB MTO) xxx Detached Logistics Battalion

-Equipment:

- (xxx OMB) xxx Detached Medical Battalion

-Equipment:

Today I have added the unit list of the newly formed 150th Guards Motor Rifle Division (Southern Military District). Sadly, no data on equipment have been released (the division is still under forming BTW).

Plus I have added titles to the units that have one ("Idritsko-Berlinskaya" for the 150th Division, and so on), currently only for the units of the Southern MD, but I will add the titles of certain units in the other three districts.

Post's link: Arrow https://www.russiadefence.net/t5271-russian-army-military-districts-land-units-locations-equipment-and-rearmaments#171222
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Long time, no updates to this topic, so I think that it would be time for some fresh info.

The structures of Russia's new divisions have been started to take shape

The 3rd Guards and 144th Motor Rifle Divisions of the Western Military District:

• (3 Gv MSD) 3rd Guards "Vislenskaya" Motor Rifle Division (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

Units of the division:

- (252 MSP) 252 Motor Rifle Regiment (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

Equipment:

- (752 MSP) 752nd Motor Rifle Regiment (Valuyki, Belgorod region)

Equipment:

- (237 TP) 237th Tank Regiment (Valuyki, Belgorod region)

Equipment:

- (99 SAP) 99th Self-propelled Artillery Regiment (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

Equipment:

- (xxx ZRP) xxx Air Defense Regiment

Equipment:

- (84 ORB) 84th Detached Reconaissance Battalion (Valuyki, Belgorod region)

Equipment:

- (337 OISB) 337th Detached Engineer-sapper Battalion (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

- (692 OB S) 692nd Detached Signal Battalion (Valuyki, Belgorod region)

- (xxx OB MTO) xxx Detached Logistics Battalion (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

- (xxx OMB) xxx Detached Medical Battalion (Boguchar, Voronezh region)

• (144 MSD) 144th Motor Rifle Division (Yelnya, Smolensk region)

Units of the division:

- (488 MSP) 488th Motor Rifle Regiment (Klintsiy, Bryansk region)

Equipment:

- (xxx MSP) xxx Motor Rifle Regiment (Zaymishche, Bryansk region)

Equipment:

- (xxx MSP) xxx Motor Rifle Regiment (Yelnya, Smolensk region)

Equipment:

- (xxx TP) xxx Tank Regiment (Yelnya, Smolensk region)

Equipment:

- (856 SAP) 856th Self-propelled Artillery Regiment (Pochep, Bryansk region)

Equipment:

Equipment:

- (148 ORB) 148th Detached Reconaissance Battalion (Smolensk, Smolensk region)

- (xxx OPTAB) xxx Detached Anti-tank Artillery Battalion (Yelnya, Smolensk region)

Equipment:

- (xxx OISB) xxx Detached Engineer-sapper Battalion (Yelnya, Smolensk region)

- (xxx OB S) xxx Detached Signal Battalion (Smolensk, Smolensk region)

Plus the 150th and 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Divisions of the Southern Military District

• (150 Gv MSD) 150th Guards "Idritsko-Berlinskaya" Motor Rifle Division (Novocherkassk/Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

Units of the division:

- (102 MSP) 102nd Motor Rifle Regiment (Maikop, Republic of Adygea - under transfer to Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

Equipment:

Equipment:

Equipment:

- (68 TP) 68th Tank Regiment (Budennovsk, Stavropol region - under transfer to Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

Equipment:

- (xxx SAP) xxx Self-propelled Artillery Regiment

Equipment:

- (933 ZRP) 933rd Air Defense Regiment (Millerovo, Rostov region)

Equipment:

- (174 ORB) 174th Detached Reconaissance Battalion (Novocherkassk, Rostov region - under transfer to Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

Equipment:

- (xxx OB S) xxx Detached Signal Battalion (Kadamovskiy, Rostov region)

• (42 Gv MSD) 42nd Guards "Yevpatoriyskaya" Motor Rifle Division (Khankala/Kalinovskaya/Shali/Borzoy, Republic of Chechnya)

Units of the division:

- (70 MSP) 70th Motor Rifle Regiment (Shali, Republic of Chechnya)

Equipment:

- (71 MSP) 71th Motor Rifle Regiment (Khankala, Republic of Chechnya)

Equipment:

- (291 MSP) 291st Motor Rifle Regiment (Borzoy, Republic of Chechnya)

Equipment:

- (xxx TB) xxx Detached Tank Battalion

Equipment:

- (50 SAP) 50th Self-propelled Artillery Regiment (Shali, Republic of Chechnya)

Equipment:

Equipment:

- (xxx ORB) xxx Detached Reconaissance Battalion

Equipment:

- (xxx OB S) xxx Detached Signal Battalion (Khankala, Republic of Chechnya)

Under the command of the 49th Combined Arms Army (Southern MD), a new artillery brigade is being formed.

• (227 ABr) 227th "Tallinskaya" Artillery Brigade (Krasnooktyabrskiy, Republic of Adygea)

Forming on the base of the former 943rd MLRS Regiment.

Equipment: 8 BM-27 Uragan 220mm MLRS systems, 18 2S65 Msta-B 152mm towed howitzers, 6 MT-12 Rapira 100mm towed AT guns, 18 9P149 Shturm-S self-propelled ATGM systems, 3 PRP-4M artillery reconaissance vehicles, 2 AZK-7 audiometric location vehicles

A new, yet strange type of unit have been formed also in the Southern MD

• (2140 GIPO) 2140th Information/Psychological Operations (PsyOps) Group(Rostov-on-Don, Rostov region)

Equipment: 1 "Leer-3" EW drone complex, 1 "Orlan-10" drone, ZS-82 "Dekorator" (on BRDM-2 chassis)/ ZS-88 "Delitel" (on BTR-80 chassis)/ ZS-96.03 (on BTR-80 chassis) and MZS-83 "Grom" (on MT-LBU chassis) loudspeaker vehicles, ATOF-97 mobile print shop, "Zhurnalist" mobile print shops, PTsT-07 mobile digital print shop, BPK-63MKL mobile fax shop, some 82mm and 122mm mortars (used for launching propaganda leaflet-dispensing shells)
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 am

Minor correction:

...some 82mm and 122mm mortars

No such thing as a Russian or Soviet 122mm mortar.

Either 122mm howitzer (ie D-30 or some such) or it is a 120mm mortar design.
    MMBR
    MMBR

Post  MMBR Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm

So is russia moving away from brigades and back to divisions? Or is it going to have a mix of a few divisions and many brigades?
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm

MonkeymodelBananaRepublic wrote:So is russia moving away from brigades and back to divisions? Or is it going to have a mix of a few divisions and many brigades?

The latter one, I think.
    brissonkov

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 Empty Unit images

Post  brissonkov Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Benya, I liked very much the visual orbats you had created and posted on shipbucket. But it now seems we can't access them anymore. Is it possible to access them again? I'm using that for wargaming and it's rare to find such complete work like that elsewhere on the internet.
    Benya
    Benya

Post  Benya Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm

brissonkov wrote:Benya, I liked very much the visual orbats you had created and posted on shipbucket. But it now seems we can't access them anymore. Is it possible to access them again? I'm using that for wargaming and it's rare to find such complete work like that elsewhere on the internet.

Actually, none of them were made by me. I have checked them and I couldn't find them as well, maybe the site's domain had expired or something.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Photos of military equipment of the freshly formed 150th Idritsa-Berlin Order of Kutuzov 2nd Class Motor Rifle Division of the 8th Guards Combined Arms Army of the Southern Military District, taken at the main location of the division in the village of Persianovsky, Rostov Region. The T-72B3 tanks of the 2016 model and BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles are presented. The equipment for the most part is still outside the hangar storage.

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 75292410
    Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 75295010
    Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 75297410

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3843386.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:45 pm

The 19th Motorized Rifle Division is deployed in the Southern Military District

December 28th, 22:52
    The original was taken from a colleague altyn73 in the 19th Motorized Rifle Division of the Southern Military District. Somehow I missed it. But the 19th motorized rifle division is already deploying on the basis of the 19th motorized rifle brigade. February 15, 2020 The first rehearsal of the Victory Parade in Vladikavkaz. Another 19th brigade. source https://youtu.be/Ee_k-_4ixYc

June 17, 2020 One of the last rehearsals for the Victory Parade in Vladikavkaz. Already the 19th division. source - https://youtu.be/x22w8e6kDKg

Colonel Roman Vyazovsky has been in command of the 4th military base (South Ossetia) since November 2020

The motorized rifle division of the Southern Military District celebrated its 98th anniversary. July 23, 2020

The brigade itself will become the backbone of the 503rd (or 653rd) motorized rifle regiment, and the artillery divisions will be transferred to the revived 292nd self-propelled artillery regiment. In Ingushetia, a military town is being built and training grounds for a new motorized rifle regiment are being set up ( https://altyn73.livejournal.com/1373606.html ).

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4224045.html
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:14 pm

The 19th brigade in Sputnik was the 503rd Guards Motor Rifle regiment originally, while the 693rd Guards Motor Rifle regiment became the 4th Military base. Apparently both will revert to their old designations. The big question is what will the new Motor Rifle regiment being formed in Ingushetia be, as both the 135th and 429th Motor Rifle regiments had been a part of the old 19th MR Division.

EDIT: Not much in the way of construction in Ingushetia probably due to protests from locals. There is a small tent town just south of Alkhasty, Ingushetia. The blogger seems to believe it will be named the 135th Regiment which prior to the disbanding of the old 19th Division was stationed in Prokhladny, Kabardino-Balkaria.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:31 pm

Western military district will be strengthened by

LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:58 am

The army in Western Russia is being reinforced with new T-90M tanks and Terminator combat vehicles."

Moscow. January 2. THE First tank army of the Western military district (ZVO) will receive more than 200 units of military and special equipment in 2021, in particular, new t-90M Proryv tanks and Terminator tank support combat vehicles (BMPT), said army commander Lieutenant General Sergei Kisel.

"During the year, the tank Association will receive deeply upgraded T-80BVM tanks, the latest t-90M Proryv tanks, BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles, tank support combat vehicles, and BTR-82A armored personnel carriers," Kisel said.
    According to him, the army will also receive reconnaissance and chemical vehicles RHM-6-01, smoke machines TDA-3, mobile engineering repair complexes and other equipment.
    The first tank army of the Western military district was recreated in 2014. Its troops are deployed in the Moscow, Ivanovo, Smolensk and Nizhny Novgorod regions. The army headquarters is located in Bakovka (Moscow region). The army includes, in particular, the Taman motorized rifle and Kantemirovskaya tank divisions, the 6th tank brigade, the 27th Sevastopol motorized rifle brigade, and the 112th missile brigade in Shuya.

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=0&nid=544027&lang=RU

lancelot likes this post

calripson

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 Empty No Armata?

Post  calripson Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:39 am

LMFS wrote:The army in Western Russia is being reinforced with new T-90M tanks and Terminator combat vehicles."

Moscow. January 2. THE First tank army of the Western military district (ZVO) will receive more than 200 units of military and special equipment in 2021, in particular, new t-90M Proryv tanks and Terminator tank support combat vehicles (BMPT), said army commander Lieutenant General Sergei Kisel.

"During the year, the tank Association will receive deeply upgraded T-80BVM tanks, the latest t-90M Proryv tanks, BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles, tank support combat vehicles, and BTR-82A armored personnel carriers," Kisel said.
    According to him, the army will also receive reconnaissance and chemical vehicles RHM-6-01, smoke machines TDA-3, mobile engineering repair complexes and other equipment.
    The first tank army of the Western military district was recreated in 2014. Its troops are deployed in the Moscow, Ivanovo, Smolensk and Nizhny Novgorod regions. The army headquarters is located in Bakovka (Moscow region). The army includes, in particular, the Taman motorized rifle and Kantemirovskaya tank divisions, the 6th tank brigade, the 27th Sevastopol motorized rifle brigade, and the 112th missile brigade in Shuya.

https://www.militarynews.ru/story.asp?rid=0&nid=544027&lang=RU

No Armata? Tamanskaya Division was slated to be the first to receive T-14.
    franco
    franco

Post  franco Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:37 pm

Military Forces in Sakhalin and Kuriles Islands:

Ground Forces (68th Army Corps) ~10,000 troops

- 68th Army Corps HQ (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk)
    - 137th Communication battalion (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk)
    - 39th Motor Rifle brigade (Khomutovo)
    - 312th Rocket Artillery battalion (Aniva)
    - 676th Sapper Engineer battalion (Aniva)
    - 230th reserve storage & repair base (Daynoe)
    - 18th Machine Gun Artillery division HQ (Goryachiye Klyuchi)
    - 49th Machine Gun Artillery regiment (Goryachiye Klyuchi)
    - 46th Machine Gun Artillery regiment (Lagunnoye)
    - Equipment: 50+ tanks, 300+ MT-LB's, 120+ artillery, 50 air defense, UAV's, EW

Air Force

- operates out of 4 airfields / airports, only 1 an airbase (Sokol)
    - aircraft are detached from main land units. Normally 2-4 Su-35S, 1-2 transports and 2-6 Mi-8's.

Air Defense

- 39th Radio Technical regiment (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk) - controls the various radar sites located around the islands
    - 1724th Rocket Air Defense regiment (Khomutovo) - switching to S-400 from 300PS. Latest google images show 8 SAM's at Sokol Airbase and 16 SAM's at Khomutovo
    - some S-300V4's deployed to Goryachiye Klyuchi last year on an exercise. Not sure if any stayed.

Navy

- around 6 hydrographic vessels operating out of Nikolayev and Korsakov harbours

Coastal Defense

- new Coastal Rocket Artillery brigade being established in Sakhalin, expect will include the 2 units below which presently report to the Regiment outside Vladivostok
    - 574th Coastal Rocket Artillery battalion (Lagunnoye) 4 BAL AShM
    - 789th Coastal Rocket Artillery battalion (Goryachiye Klyuchi) 4 BASTION AShM

zardof, LMFS and Hole like this post

franco
    franco

Russian Army: Military units (Locations, equipment and re-armaments) - Page 2 Empty Formation of the 75th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment in the Kaliningrad Region

Post  franco Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:17 pm

Formation of the 75th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment in the Kaliningrad Region

Excerpt posts Defense Ministry: "The Kaliningrad region is continuing the construction and modernization of infrastructure of military camps of the army of the Baltic Fleet housing Currently, there is a reconstruction of another barracks of a tank regiment in Gusev, on the order of another barracks, then will be renovated club and a medical unit.. This year, the military the builders will begin the reconstruction of the barracks of one of the motorized rifle regiments, designed for 400 people in the city of Sovetsk. "

https://function.mil.ru/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12341318@egNews

Until 1993, the 40th Guards Tank Division was stationed in the town of Sovetsk, Kaliningrad Region. The division included the 75th Guards Motorized Rifle Regiment. In 1993, the division was transformed into the 10th Guards Tank Brigade with the abolition of the regimental structure. In 1997, the brigade was disbanded.

The now revived motorized rifle regiment will become part of the new motorized rifle division of the 11th Army Corps, formed on December 1, 2020.It should be noted that the city of Sovetsk (until 1946 - the city of Tilsit) is located on the banks of the Neman River on the border with Lithuania, from where the shortest overland route to the border with the main part of Russia.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4248191.html

NOTE: Apparently the 3rd Motor Rifle regiment for the new Motor Rifle regiment in Kaliningrad will be the 75th Guards according to this blogger. Still nothing on the name of the new division.

Hole likes this post

franco
    franco

Post  franco Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Kaliningrad strengthens the land force

The defense of the exclave will be entrusted to the newly formed motorized rifle division

The Ministry of Defense will strengthen the ground defense component of the Kaliningrad region. In particular, the reorganization of the 79th separate motorized rifle brigade began. This is the most powerful combined-arms formation in the region at the moment. On its basis, a regiment is being formed, which will be deployed in Sovetsk. This unit, along with a number of others, will become part of the motorized rifle division, which will be entrusted with the defense of the exclave. According to experts, the updated group will be able to effectively cover the Kaliningrad region from different directions.

A motorized rifle division in the Kaliningrad region will be formed this year, sources in the military department said. Its units and subdivisions will take part in the strategic exercises Zapad-2021, which will be held in September.

According to Izvestia sources, the division will be based on a regiment created on the basis of the 79th motorized rifle brigade. He will receive part of the old "brigade" battalions and some support units. It is possible that the 7th separate guards motorized rifle regiment, located in Kaliningrad, will become the second regiment that will become part of the division.

The 79th Separate Guards Motorized Rifle Insterburg Brigade is the successor of the 18th Guards Rifle Division, one of the most famous formations of the Great Patriotic War. Initially, it was formed in 1939 at number 133. It participated in hostilities since July 1941, held the defenses on the Dnieper, in the Smolensk and Kalinin (now Tver) regions. For the heroism of the personnel, the unit was one of the first in March 1942 of the year to receive the status of the Guards and serial number 18. At the final stage of the war, the division stormed Konigsberg and Pillau, fought on the Baltic Spit. At the end of 1945, it was transformed into the 30th Guards Mechanized Division, in 1957 - into the 30th Guards Motorized Rifle Division, in 1964 - into the 18th Guards Motorized Rifle Division. In 2001 it became the 79th separate guards motorized rifle brigade.

“Until the early 1990s, the 11th Army was stationed in the region, but then it was reduced,” military historian Dmitry Boltenkov told Izvestia. - In recent years, the Kaliningrad region has been covered by the 11th Army Corps, which includes a motorized rifle brigade and a regiment, as well as an artillery brigade and a tank regiment. Apparently, now they decided to reformat the grouping. Poland adjoins our exclave in the south, and Lithuania in the north - multinational NATO battalions are serving in these states on rotation. Apparently, in the end, they will make it so that part of the Russian troops will be oriented towards Poland, and the other towards Lithuania. If necessary, they will be able to quickly respond to changes in the situation.

The decision to form a division on the territory of the exclave is long overdue, military expert Vladislav Shurygin believes.

“After the experiments at the beginning of the last decade, when they tried to completely transfer the army to the brigade system, it became obvious that it would be quite difficult to fight in brigade scattering without large formations,” he told Izvestia. - Especially in the west, where the enemy has superiority and uses powerful weapons systems. The division is a powerful fist. On the one hand, it has everything that is necessary for local conflicts. On the other hand, in case of large-scale hostilities, the division has all the necessary means to defend Kaliningrad.

Strengthening the exclave

The upcoming formation of a full-fledged motorized rifle division in the Kaliningrad region was announced in December last year by the commander of the Baltic Fleet, Alexander Nosatov. It will include motorized rifle, tank and artillery regiments. According to the admiral, the new unit will become part of the 11th Army Corps protecting the exclave.

The reason for the strengthening of the ground grouping by the Russian military is the pulling of NATO multinational strike groups to the borders of the region. Among them is one armored and several battalion-tactical. The modernization and strengthening of the Russian grouping in the exclave has been going on for several years. At the beginning of 2018, Iskander-M operational-tactical missile systems were transferred to the region. According to the Ministry of Defense, they have rearmed the 152nd Missile Brigade of the 11th Army Corps of the Baltic Fleet.

At the beginning of 2019, there were reports of the reorganization of the tank battalion located in the Kaliningrad region into the 11th separate regiment. The next year, representatives of the defense department announced the receipt of three dozen modernized T-72B3M tanks with significantly improved protection against cumulative ammunition and a new fire control system.

The artillery brigade of the 11th Army Corps last year instead of Grad multiple rocket launchers received long-range Smerch MLRS of 300 mm caliber. This made it possible to increase both the range of target destruction and the salvo power of the compound.

Recently, Russia has been actively strengthening the defense of the exclave. As Izvestia previously reported, this year a division of the unique supersonic Bastion complexes will be deployed there. They are capable of hitting targets at a distance of up to 600 km. The Coastal Missile Force is represented by the 27th Separate Brigade. The connection is based in the village of Donskoye, Svetlogorsk urban district, 30 km from the regional center. This settlement is located at the westernmost tip of the Zemland peninsula, approximately at the same distance from the northern and southern borders of the region. This location makes it possible to keep under control almost the entire water area of ​​the Baltic Sea adjacent to Russian territory.

In addition, in recent years, several divisions of S-400 Triumph anti-aircraft missile systems have entered the region. The naval aviation received Su-30SM multipurpose fighters and upgraded Ka-27M helicopters. The armored units of the army corps are swapping out the outdated T-72Bs for their newest modification, the T-72B3M, which is better protected and with more firepower.

GarryB and George1 like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm