Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

The Situation in Kazakhstan

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

The Situation in Kazakhstan

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:26 am

Four-Day Terror Spree Leaves at Least 20 Dead in Kazakhstan

Six suspected terrorists remain at large in Kazakhstan following the deadliest internal attacks in the country's history, according to Kazakh officials. Twenty people — including 13 attackers killed by government forces — were reported dead this week in Aktobe, a city in the country's northwest sector near the border with Russia.

"The government of Kazakhstan and Ministry of Internal Affairs are closely examining the events and what has taken place," said Yerlan Kubashev, a political counselor at the Embassy of Kazakhstan in Washington, D.C. "As the situation continues to unfold, we will not be able to draw any conclusions."

The four-day rampage began Sunday with robberies at two gun stores, and continued as assailants hijacked a bus and rammed their way into a military base, where they killed three service members and wounded nine others. On Wednesday, the attackers assaulted a children's camp.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-10/four-day-terror-spree-leaves-at-least-20-dead-in-kazakhstan

Interesting how this happened in a city with a quarter Russian population.
    Also this city was known as Aktyubinsk, but anti-Russian policies changed it to Aktobe.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: The Situation in Kazakhstan

Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:46 am

Changing names doesn't = anti Russian. Could also be nationalists nationalizing the country. That is what current leader does. To gain strength a power over the country, band together nationalists.

And attacks happen everywhere. It hit a Kazakhstan military base. What does half a quarter Rus population have to do with this? Finding links where there is none?

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:49 am

sepheronx wrote:Changing names doesn't = anti Russian. Could also be nationalists nationalizing the country. That is what current leader does.  To gain strength a power over the country, band together nationalists.

And attacks happen everywhere. It hit a Kazakhstan military base. What does half a quarter Rus population have to do with this? Finding links where there is none?

I didn't mean Russians did that. As the city has a well known track record of jihadis attacks many years now.
    But the city has also been nothing short of colonised so to speak from the countryside with Muslim Kazakhs after the fall of USSR.

PS. dropping Russian names is not pro-Russian either. Also the city predates USSR, so changing its name is falsification of history. It was a Russian fort.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 am

But that is now the issue of Kazakhstan as the city is their jurisdiction. Russians also have left in droves in the past from Kazakhstan so who fills the void? They simply "nationalizing" for central power. Always the case if you look at most CIS countries. I don't like it myself, but I don't see it as anti-Russian but more like: "I R Kazakh, Urah!" kinda thing. They are still very much friendly an sympathetic to Russia.

As for the incident, it will be a growing trend, something Kazakhstan will have to work hard on in dealing. The more Muslims move in, the more likely terrorist cells increase. I know Russia is ramping up anti terrorism training with Kazakhstan and other CIS countries, but ultimately, Kazakhstan will have to work double/triple shift in dealing with these kind of people.

Sucks that Russia has so many Muslim based nations south of her. But something they need to help deal with.

I imagine in coming years, Kazakhstan will build a larger anti terrorist groups. They have little choice IMO.

Edit: I do find it interesting that this happens not so long after the "anti gov protests" though. Soros hand?

KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  KiloGolf on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:10 am

sepheronx wrote:Edit: I do find it interesting that this happens not so long after the "anti gov protests" though. Soros hand?

I find it interesting as it's near the oil too. Apparently the whole area there is a hub for oil and full of pipelines. Russia wouldn't want to mess that up. So it leaves us with the "moderate" and their support groups.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:50 am

Bad news for Kazakh authorities as well then. I imagine it will be a pretty hard crackdown on t authorities end.

Project Canada
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  Project Canada on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Sucks that Russia has so many Muslim based nations south of her. But something they need to help deal with.

I find it suspicious how Islam spread quickly in central asia after the collapse of USSR (I suspect KSA has a big hand in this), i mean the region already has islamic past but this could have been rectified if only the Russian church has actively converted muslims/non religious people in these areas to Russian orthodoxy. imo political correctness in relation to islam needs to be obliterated completely, cause today, Islamic propagation = okay, not much fuss. Christian propagation = Insult to Muslims! Disrespect to Muslim religion! Extremism! etc Rolling Eyes

Khepesh
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Khepesh on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:48 am

Shooting occuring in Alma-Ata, said to be in two locations. Seems police are the targets. Photos and video in the link http://informburo.kz/novosti/video-s-telom-ubitogo-vo-vremya-perestrelki-v-almaty-policeyskim-poyavilos-v-seti.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:13 pm

Kazakhstan may toughen penalties for terrorism and extremism

More:
    http://tass.ru/en/world/889291

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:40 pm

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 pm