There are zero in service as it was never purchased beyond a few testing units.
New unified vehicles have made BTR-90 obsolete.
KomissarBojanchev wrote:Well thats a sad story about my favorite APC
Between the Ministry of Defense and the military-industrial complex, another scandal broke. According to "News" from the military establishment, hard claim is Arzamas Engineering Plant (AMZ) for disrupting the supply of two hundred modernized BTR-82 in the framework of the state defense order (SDO). This is almost 60% of the state defense order for armored personnel carriers for the years 2011-2012.
- Disruption of the state defense order was evident at the end of last year, and we immediately began to find out what was wrong. I can only say that the results of the preliminary proceedings at the plant suffered a number of responsible leaders, one of the deputies shot the director in charge of the BTR-82, as well as several heads of departments, - the "News" source in the Defense Ministry.
Sources of "Izvestia" indicate that the cause of failure was signed last year between the plant and the contract of "Rosoboronexport" for supply of BTR-82 and BTR-80 foreign buyer. For whom these machines has not been disclosed. Order turned up suddenly, and AMZ was not ready to increase the volume of production.
A representative of one of the departments of the Ministry of Defense in charge of ensuring the state defense order, said "News", which claims to AMZ estimated at tens of millions of rubles.
- The exact amount of penalty is calculated, but for 200 cars will be impressive amount. Manufacturers need to feel responsible for the failure of supplies, - he says.
BTR-82 equipped with a motorized infantry brigade of the Southern Military District, and marine units in the Caspian Sea and Black Sea. 200 armored personnel carriers - a complete set of one infantry brigade of the new image. As part of the SOUTH often busy counter-terrorism measures, the lack of an entire armored brigade painfully affected the whole county, stressed the source.
The exact number of armored vehicles that AMZ has to supply troops, he called refused, citing the secrecy of information. The source said only that the contract signed in 2010, and the Army has about 250 cars. And according to experts, the total number of BTR-82 in the armed forces closer to 1.5 thousand, about a third of them - the new, the rest converted from an older model BTR-80.
BTR-82 - is the latest modernization of the Soviet model of the BTR-80A. It is armed with a 30mm automatic cannon, is more powerful than its predecessor, the 320-hp engine KamAZ, a new radio station, autonomous satellite navigation channels, active laser-pulse illumination, which allows the commander to detect the enemy at distances up to 3 km. Thus its value in today's local conflicts has increased significantly.
The machine should be completely replaced by 80-ku conversion or issue new ones. The next main "workhorse" Army should be a promising BTR "Boomerang", which promises to be shown at the end of this year.
In the Military-Industrial Company, which manages the Arzamas Engineering Plant, "News" confirmed that the disruption of supplies was, but could not name the reason for secrecy.
- This is the state defense order, and its parameters are secret. The Ministry of Defense, we reported about these reasons, - said the representative of the Military-Industrial Company.
Another source in the defense hinted "News" that the supply disruptions caused by the congestion of AMZ orders for "Rosoboronexport", which sells armored cars to Kazakhstan and a number of other foreign armies. Officers of the Army Technical Services called 82-ku good machine, but the 80-ka, in their opinion, better.
- BTR-82 well armed, optics and excellent engine. Is that suspension seat in the troop compartment unaccustomed soldiers, especially in body armor and weapons. But the 82 th stuffed with electronics, it must be properly maintained. It is suspected that even the officers are not always right, not what soldiers odnogodichniki - SOUTH doubt officer.
He called the "oak" the old BTR-80, which is very clear, "hindered and very talented fighters." To realize the potential of the 82-th model requires professionals, so that the current personnel would be better to "oak", sums up the source "news."
Independent expert on the history of Russian armored Khlopotov Alex believes that BTR-82 is a temporary measure, for all its modern units.
- We still designed BTR-90, but it is a machine of another, more difficult and expensive class. 82nd is more suitable for a mass army of the Soviet type and good for a transitional period, as worked out, reliable, relatively inexpensive, well-armed and protected. In any case, the troops needed "Boomerang" - he said "News."
Expert called bad sign non-compliance of contractual obligations and the defense industry did not see anything special in the boot AMZ export sales to the detriment of domestic. According to his observations, many buyers of armored vehicles in Asia and Africa put a non-disclosure to the time when the brand new tanks and armored vehicles arrive to the place of deployment.
Head of the Press and Information Ministry of Defense, Colonel Igor Konashenkov at the time of publication was unable to provide comment.