Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Hello, from Ireland!

    Share

    auslander
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 862
    Points : 916
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  auslander on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:41 pm

    sepheronx wrote:Listen to Auslander as well, since he lives in Crimea.  He may be old and cranky at times, but he is full of knowledge and has great stuff to tell.  Hopefully Flaming Python will be able to provide you with any guidance as well, since he moved back to Russia.  He isn't on much these days but he is a good guy.

    I thank you for the complements! I work hard at showing my age and being as grumpy as my years allow. At my age that's a bunch!

    xelandru1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 22
    Points : 26
    Join date : 2016-03-24
    Age : 18
    Location : Dublin,Ireland

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  xelandru1 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:14 pm

    auslander wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Listen to Auslander as well, since he lives in Crimea.  He may be old and cranky at times, but he is full of knowledge and has great stuff to tell.  Hopefully Flaming Python will be able to provide you with any guidance as well, since he moved back to Russia.  He isn't on much these days but he is a good guy.

    I thank you for the complements! I work hard at showing my age and being as grumpy as my years allow. At my age that's a bunch!

    Have you seen my reply? Or shall we end the conversation on this thread?

    auslander
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 862
    Points : 916
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  auslander on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:17 pm

    xelandru1 wrote: Have you seen my reply? Or shall we end the conversation on this thread?

    Yes, I have seen your reply. I am familiar with Europe to a greater or lesser extent depending on location. I think you need to get some more years under your belt before you make a hard decision and who really knows what Russia or the rest of the world will be in a year or three. My recommendation would be for you to wait until you are twenty, study Russia, her language, her history, culture and economics in the meantime, then get a visa for a visit. You will need a 'sponsor' here to get a visa but by that time you may know a Russian or two from your schooling who will help you with that. At this time, depending on how your government feels about our actions in Krim and Sevastopol, you will probably not be able to get a visa to visit this peninsula. EU considers this peninsula to be Ukraine so you would have to apply to Kiev to get a visa. That visa would be worthless here, you will not be allowed entry because this is Russia now. It is also possible that this city might be limited access by then, one never knows. It is a Navy town.

    Read at least the sample of the book in the link I gave you. That is exactly how we speak and act here even though I use Odessa as the main woman characters home. The second book, up coming and a short story from the second tome will be published on amazon in a week or so, is centered in this city with many of the same characters from the first book. If you buy the novel, read it front to back, don't skip around at all, it is full of plots and subplots and the Post Scriptum at the end is poignant to say the least. It was written in summer 2013, before the coup d'etat in Kiev was started.

    xelandru1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 22
    Points : 26
    Join date : 2016-03-24
    Age : 18
    Location : Dublin,Ireland

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  xelandru1 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:44 pm

    Thank you for all the information Auslander. You have given me a good impression of what I should do, and according to members here, you have a good few years under your belt so I take it to be true. So I guess until now I'll live my life as usual here in Ireland, studying Russian history, language and culture under everything else, and then see how I'll feel about it when I'm old enough to even buy a drink.

    I never knew you wrote the book as I didn't pay attention to the author on Amazon, but now that I know that is quite an amazing feat, all of it's reviews are very positive too. As for getting a visa to gain access to Russia, It does not have to specifically for Crimea, right? I don't know waht Ireland thins of the situation over there, I believe they are pretty neutral.

    Anyway thanks for all the info.

    auslander
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 862
    Points : 916
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  auslander on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:00 pm

    When I mentioned getting a visa for Krimea I meant don't try to get a visa and list Krimea or Sevastopol as your 'port of entry'. Getting a visa for Russia means you can go anywhere in Russia including this peninsula and this city but you would be ill advised to try to cross the Uke border anywhere from Russia. I would advise that you stay only in Russia if you get a visa, fly in and out of Moscow. Aeroflot is an excellent airline and that is all I use now.

    The book was started in 2012, it was literally a whim to start writing one chilly winter's morn and some scribblings turned in to a novel. I took 2014 off to take care of events here and completed the tome and published on Amazon in I think June of '15. I am very pleased with the reviews and I have gotten more via private communications.

    I think for more discourse on this subject we should switch to PM's. I am here almost every day and in theory when a PM comes in I am notified immediately.

    franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1749
    Points : 1789
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  franco on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:08 pm

    xelandru1 wrote:Thank you for all the information Auslander. You have given me a good impression of what I should do, and according to members here, you have a good few years under your belt so I take it to be true. So I guess until now I'll live my life as usual here in Ireland, studying Russian history, language and culture under everything else, and then see how I'll feel about it when I'm old enough to even buy a drink.

    I never knew you wrote the book as I didn't pay attention to the author on Amazon, but now that I know that is quite an amazing feat, all of it's reviews are very positive too. As for getting a visa to gain access to Russia, It does not have to specifically for Crimea, right? I don't know waht Ireland thins of the situation over there, I believe they are pretty neutral.

    Anyway thanks for all the info.

    Auslander has written several books which is probably due to his age, but directly contributes to the grumpy part I'm sure Very Happy

    xelandru1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 22
    Points : 26
    Join date : 2016-03-24
    Age : 18
    Location : Dublin,Ireland

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  xelandru1 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:00 pm

    auslander wrote:When I mentioned getting a visa for Krimea I meant don't try to get a visa and list Krimea or Sevastopol as your 'port of entry'. Getting a visa for Russia means you can go anywhere in Russia including this peninsula and this city but you would be ill advised to try to cross the Uke border anywhere from Russia. I would advise that you stay only in Russia if you get a visa, fly in and out of Moscow. Aeroflot is an excellent airline and that is all I use now.

    The book was started in 2012, it was literally a whim to start writing one chilly winter's morn and some scribblings turned in to a novel. I took 2014 off to take care of events here and completed the tome and published on Amazon in I think June of '15. I am very pleased with the reviews and I have gotten more via private communications.

    I think for more discourse on this subject we should switch to PM's. I am here almost every day and in theory when a PM comes in I am notified immediately.

    Yes, that's fine we can switch to pm.

    xelandru1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 22
    Points : 26
    Join date : 2016-03-24
    Age : 18
    Location : Dublin,Ireland

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  xelandru1 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01 pm

    Ah Franco, one day you'll be there too Wink No need to worry...

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3675
    Points : 3787
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:43 pm

    welcome

    xelandru1
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 22
    Points : 26
    Join date : 2016-03-24
    Age : 18
    Location : Dublin,Ireland

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  xelandru1 on Sun May 08, 2016 1:36 am

    PapaDragon wrote:welcome

    Thanks

    Book.
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

    Posts : 667
    Points : 730
    Join date : 2015-05-08
    Location : Oregon, USA

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  Book. on Thu May 12, 2016 9:13 am

    Hello xelandru

    flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3182
    Points : 3310
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  flamming_python on Thu May 12, 2016 8:42 pm

    xelandru1 wrote:I see now. I always knew that Russia as a whole is hard to integrate with, and I know about how the bad parts are in Far East and central Russia usually. From what I hear, all the riches are in the west... The European part. Any specific reason why you suggested Belgorod? And what about that guy who moved to Saint Petersburg, is he still there? What was difficult for him. Thank you for welcoming me to the forums by the way, I really am enjoying my stay here. I'm scrolling through some old topics for info at the moment, I hope I can contribute soon...

    Yes I am and I'm loving it here BTW Cool

    When I moved to Russia 6 years ago I was like a poor immigrant; I came with just my sports bag and the clothes on my back, and stayed at my aunt's place. My dad gave me 300 pounds to buy a laptop after I finished military service here and that was the last bit of financial support I got from my parents. Took me 3 months to get a job, especially as I forgot everything I learned about programming from uni by the time I got around to actually trying to find a job involving it.

    Anyhow, now I'm living it up here, living in an awesome flat, high-paying job, custom made furniture, surround sound home cinema system, starting my own business, the werks.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Hello, from Ireland!

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:23 pm


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:23 pm