Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Common Lies, Russophobia, Nonsense on Russia:

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

The "great" game Company of Heroes 2 and its historical facts

Post  Werewolf on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:57 pm

Just watch how poorly anti-russian propaganda in the game Company of Heroes portrayed russians as beasts that kill everything without logical sense.

TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Common Lies, Russophobia, Nonsense on Russia:

Post  TR1 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:18 pm

It is a dumb game, but pulling it from shelves is retarded.

I mean, fucking and killing hookers (GTA) is ok, but historical inaccuracy isn't? Bad precedent.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

what's with the influx of anti-russia in the news and forums lately?

Post  sepheronx on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:23 am

Mp.net is being flooded with bullshit news and trolls lately. Reddit isn't better either. It is being targeted pretty rough lately. Guess maybe people are just jelly ;-)

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:59 am

When they were having problems in the 1990s they were largely ignored... sounds to me like a bit of bitterness...

Especially as now they clearly seem to be moving forward with their equipment upgrades while the west is cutting defence spending.

For a lot of people in the west Russia is the enemy... just like for many in the west Germany and Japan is the enemy still... such things only change when generations die out.

Perhaps when Russia starts expanding its space exploration and perhaps if the US realises it is cheaper to cooperate than compete the image of Russia might change, but I suspect when Russian soldiers are getting good training, are mostly professional forces and have all new equipment they might get the respect they deserve... maybe not.

Hopefully WTO membership will allow Russian companies to take advantage of lower labour costs and offer high tech products that are more desirable than western equipment made in China.

I also hope the Russian companies are smart enough to produce their new gear in new factories in Russia rather than what most western companies seem to want to do... make everything in China and make bigger profits.

Why is making a bigger profit bad?

Well a big company that pretends to be a western company that produces all its stuff in China is not benefitting that western country with jobs and without creating lots of jobs it is the rich shareholders that make the money from the local consumers buying the product... the money moves from the masses to the workers in China as pay and to local rich as shareholders... the only locals that make money are the transport companies and local retail outlets which usually pay their workers rubbish wages anyway.

In other words China gets the investment and the skilled if underpaid workers, the country the company comes from get the products slightly cheaper and the rich get richer.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:01 am

If particular people on MPnet are getting outrageously anti Russian you could ask them if they are members of Greenpeace... when they btch about greenpeace being a liberal lefty organisation then just comment you thought their anti russian outbursts might be related to either the greenpeace piracy incident or the the anti gay laws Putin is passing... Razz  Clearly it was the latter. Twisted Evil 

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

SOC
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Post  SOC on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:34 am

sepheronx wrote:Mp.net is being flooded with bullshit news and trolls lately.
    "Lately"?

I don't know which forum is more ridiculous, that place or ATS.

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 am

It's pretty funny though. Even Russian members bashing their own country over small things, or expats bashing the government of the country for trivial things.

The belief I have regarding many Russians is that they are cynical in nature. I have noticed it within my family as well. So maybe it is that cynicism that shows. I know not everything is perfect and it will never be, but from outside perspective, sounds like things are significantly better than it was 10+ years ago.

Deep Throat
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Deep Throat on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:03 pm

MP.net ? The number of anti Russians posts are by and large the same as they were a couple of years ago as are anti Iran posts.

Over the last few years anti Syria , India and China posts have gone up drastically .

To be sure , there is no consistency in those posts . They condemn Islamic terrorism on one hand & on the other hand they support Syrian militias .

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't know, Russians criticizing Russia are fair game as they re using their rights to do so. There are some constructive critics like Ash for example. Russians were always critical to themselves as long as I remember. "Only in Russia" is one of lightest saying used by Russians in WTF moments.

New Russian generation brought back trends of chauvinism - almost on same level as British one in their finest days. Russian nationalism is too extreme to my taste. Eastern European nationalism in general is .. let's say, immature.

I don't see nothing wrong with other people criticizing/making fun of Russia as Russians themselves make fun of other countries too. Pindosi, fat Americans, fags, Georgians, churki and etc.
    No need to get Your panties in a twist about it. Poland is being mocked no less than Russia

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Very true. I like Ash as he is critical but constructive. Some other members are just too extreme imo.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:03 am

There is constructive criticism and there is the ignorance of stereotypes.

It seems if you have any sympathy towards Russia you are a communist and every communist is of course Joseph Stalin in disguise.

But they are happy with their stereotypes because everything western is good and cannot be scrutinised, everything in Russia is bad and with no redeeming features.. obviously because the west is all about truth and justice and democracy and the commies are all about oppression and gulags and of course corruption.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:39 am

GarryB wrote:There is constructive criticism and there is the ignorance of stereotypes.

It seems if you have any sympathy towards Russia you are a communist and every communist is of course Joseph Stalin in disguise.

But they are happy with their stereotypes because everything western is good and cannot be scrutinised, everything in Russia is bad and with no redeeming features.. obviously because the west is all about truth and justice and democracy and the commies are all about oppression and gulags and of course corruption.
    To be fair there aren't that many people on mp.net with those sort of views; most people are reasonable and open to debate - many are friendly to Russia because in their view - they are at war with Islamic terrorism and Russia is an ally.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 pm

For those who speak Russian. English guy speaks about Russia. His language skills are amazing!

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  macedonian on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 pm

flamming_python wrote:To be fair there aren't that many people on mp.net with those sort of views; most people are reasonable and open to debate - many are friendly to Russia because in their view - they are at war with Islamic terrorism and Russia is an ally.
    Mhm?...nevermind...we're probably thinking of different mp.net... afro

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:59 am

To be fair there aren't that many people on mp.net with those sort of views; most people are reasonable and open to debate - many are friendly to Russia because in their view - they are at war with Islamic terrorism and Russia is an ally.
    To be fair they are not all like that, but they just want Russia as an ally against Islamic Terrorism just like they wanted Stalins Soviet Union as an ally against Germany... when the smoke clears the differences come in to focus and it is the same old sht again.

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 am

Even in gaming communitty forum there are russophobes lol! and i were happen to be their nightmare.

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Stealthflanker wrote:Even in gaming communitty forum there are russophobes lol! and i were happen to be their nightmare.

With the constant anti-soviet/anti-russian propaganda from the west through out an entire century it is no wonder that people are just absolutley stupid, knowing absolutely nothing about russian country or people and just believe each lie they hear, like "gays" are jailed when they are gay, that gulags are some sort of death camps with almost zero survivability rate, that putin is a dictator even that almost 80% of the country vote for him over and over again and that the quality of life not only in soviet union but also in russia is so bad... they deny everytime when you face them with actual facts that the life standards especially during Soviet times were higher than anywhere in the west, free and the best education system which till this day russia is on nr. 1 place with 52% of population with higher academic degree, the biggest reading country, the best and free health care system, no homeless or jobless people, no religious or racial bullshit prosecution like they had and in the US with black people.

For average indoctrinated americans the world is devided in evil communists who never smile and will do everything they can to kill you, german nazis with mobile gas chambers or terrorists, the entire arabic culture just one big terrorist organisation... that is literally how they educate them to be stupid that makes it easier to spread fear and hatred.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Best and free healthcare system
    No homeless or jobless people

Thanks for the laugh Very Happy 
    In the Soviet Union maybe; not now that's for sure

Anyway, a lot of the other stuff you say is true though

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Werewolf on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:54 pm

flamming_python wrote:Best and free healthcare system
    No homeless or jobless people

Thanks for the laugh Very Happy 
    In the Soviet Union maybe; not now that's for sure

Anyway, a lot of the other stuff you say is true though
    i was speaking about soviet union but some are true till this day, like the level of education on population scale 52% with higher academic degree and the biggest readers are russians.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:49 am

When it comes to education- Russia will be facing challenge in the future. Stagnation will have consequences. But Medvedev already mentioned that education will be reformed.
    What's good about education in Russia is Soviet legacy. You have to give credit to Soviet educational system, especially precise sciences. I compared what we used do in our school and what kids learn in UK.. We did algebraic calculations, functions, geometry, probabilities, combinatorics, statistics, trigonometrics everyday as homework. What brits do is only scratching the surface. But then again, I don't use math I've learned like 90 percent of my time. Same with chemistry and physics.
    Or maybe I'm wrong. We used to make explosives out of "svinovcii surik"(red lead oxide powder which was used to paint zhiguli and moskvitch cars). Not to mention smoke bombs. It's enough to go to any basement in blockhouse built in 80ies or before and... Sulfur is right there in between pipe conections You just have to use screwdriver to scrap it out. People in west will never understand what childhood we had in Soviet union. It was a school on other level and I'm proud be born on eastern side of the curtain, I'm no soviet nostalgic, but late 80 were amazing time.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am

At least I personally have all the rights to be anti-russian.
    But somehow I can't find any hatred towards Russia. I might dislike Russian politics, but then I'm not the fan of my own politics too. I might be critical on one thing or another, but at least I have a decent understanding what is Russia as I'm in it's cultural and informational sphere.
    Hell I don't even hate USA. I'm indifferent to them. But their politics are not the people I respect. They are getting dumber and dumber and American presidents are starting to look like Boris Nikolayevich. America might not fall like "prophecies" say, but their government likes to test their own people patience.

By the way, talking about Russian experts. Funny thing happened to my wife. She was speaking with British lady at her new workplace. My wife still has noticeable accent and British lady got curious. She tried to guess nationality of my wife and when things started getting south literally my wife said that she is Russian(technically she is not, belorusian identidy is weaker than a floss) Oh... But Your nametag has name Victoria on it. It can't be real name, she said. It's a British name. My wife said that it can and said it's Latin name. "But I thought that Russian names sound like Babushka or Kasha" ...
    Not to mention more common folks and their knowledge about eastern Europe. That's what You get when Daily mail and other tabloids are pumping misinformation. I'm certainly sure most Russians could tell political system of UK and other important relevant countries while people in the West only know Putin, Stalin and Lenin and nothing about Russia at all.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am

You raise a few good points but I also think it goes a little both ways... I admit I know very little about the US and the people of the united states... I don't blame them for the choices and decisions of their governments any more than i want to be blamed for the actions of my government.

Most of what I know about the US comes from TV and movies, but I am pretty sure the TV image of 20 and 30 somethings living in New York in huge apartments like Friends is any truer now than it was in the early 1980s on Kate and Ally for divorced women to live in basement apartments.

There are no food stamps on TV, they never have to miss a meal to pay rent, yet millions of people live in NY and they can't all be eeking out an existence.

Non western people find it easy to find out about the west because the west actively promotes itself on TV and in movies... western people have to actively go out and find their own source of information about the rest of the world because the western media are on transmit... not receive.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 am

Yep and what's worse, most of the information that Westerners get around the rest of the world; I mean indirectly through TV (travelling is obviously better); is reguarly filtered through the same ideological crap.

One can see it in people's perceptions of Russia. It's bombarded with more propaganda than any other country; when I lived in Britain there were no positive articles, news reports, documentaries or anything else about it at all. It was all negative, it was all exaggerated and often laughable. At least it would be laughable if it didn't fill me with so much resentment and spite against my host country or rather the hypocritical elite running it.
    To an extent other Eastern European countries are viewed the same. Backward, poor, full of filthy people speaking a guttural language; and of course mafia and whores (mafia is more in relation to Russia though). They think that everyone there has just climbed down from the trees (indeed this is what a Russian politician noticed and commented about when he met some British delegation that came to Moscow; they were honestly shocked to see that it was a modern city or something along those lines).

When it comes to China in Britain; there is the usual boilerplate about lack of democracy and so on (albeit less than for Russia, funny how that works); but a great deal of coverage ends up being positive. The economic progress of the country is frequently focused on, as are aspects of Chinese culture and history; it's regarded as a very ancient civilisation that has brought much to the world. As it should be.

When the Beslan School siege happened - I followed it on Sky News (not that I didn't know any better; but funnily enough there aren't any alternative information sources without the glut of bias in the free and democratic West anyway). The anchor got a phone-in interview with an ex-SAS member while footage was playing in the background; in order to comment on the situation. For 10 minutes all she was doing was attempting to find flaws with Russian military tactics there; she kept asking them if they bothered establishing a cordon around the school, if its far back enough; for 10 minutes the same question about the perimiter security over and over and over again; even when the expert had multiple times already explained that from what he had seen it looks like the Russians know what they're doing.
    Pathetic.
    I've seen this sort of thing way too many times over too many years; it's made me outright cynical towards the West; I view it in absolutely no good terms whatsoever; it's just an expansive, war-mongering, intolerant empire to me which has established a level of indoctrination and subservience over its people like few others in history.

I try to be understanding, and balanced, and tolerant in my posts on this forum and others; but beneath it all there is that bias, that cynicism, that contempt towards what Europe and America claim to be and the values that they purport to stand for. I don't believe a damn word of it, although I admit that as they've probably repeated it all to themselves and to others so many times, that they probably believe their own bullshit by now.

As Sa'iqa
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  As Sa'iqa on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm

@Werewolf, flamming_python:
    The claim that USSR had zero unemployment and the best education system is extremely shaky. Of course officially everyone was employed somewhere but that was the result of structural overemployment, not of some miraculous properties of centrally planned economy. State controlled enterprises hired too many people, there were factories in which only 1/3 people actually had something to do, the rest did nothing and got their wages.

Regarding Soviet education - USSR had one of the best scientific education in the world, especially in the area of theoretical mathematics, physics, engineering etc. But it was USA that built more and better cars, roads, trains, aircraft, electronics, and later (beginning from early 80s) better tanks. 50% of all Nobel Prize winners were either Americans or Europeans working in USA.

TheArmenian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  TheArmenian on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:30 pm

As Sa'iqa wrote: State controlled enterprises hired too many people, there were factories in which only 1/3 people actually had something to do, the rest did nothing and got their wages.

Regarding Soviet education - USSR had one of the best scientific education in the world, especially in the area of theoretical mathematics, physics, engineering etc. But it was USA that built more and better cars, roads, trains, aircraft, electronics, and later (beginning from early 80s) better tanks. 50% of all Nobel Prize winners were either Americans or Europeans working in USA.  
    1/3 of the people only doing something was not the norm. Some factories in certain areas were in fact under-employed. It was common to have a few extra un-needed people at the workplace, but let us not exaggerate. The norm was probably less than 10% of un-needed people, that would bring the unemployment rate in the country to 0%.

50% of all Nobel Prize winners were either Americans or Europeans working in USA. 
    The Soviets would have had many more Nobel prize winners in sciences if more of their scientists defected to the USA Laughing 
    Honestly, the laughable Nobel Prize system is so politicized. It has no credibility and I do not respect it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:27 am

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:27 am