Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

VladimirSahin
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  VladimirSahin on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:35 pm

@Seig I think there was maybe a misunderstanding, that's exactly the point I was trying to get across the light units aren't what's needed. During the Crimean operations however there were BTR-80s used as well. But the thing is these light units don't serve a multi-role function at all, basically limited to what you've said.

As for hitting supply lines, or rear areas: Yes the VDV can be used for these roles as well, and operating in the rear lines of the enemy is a plausible mission scenario if possible.
    eehnie
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  eehnie on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:10 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:@Eehnie

First off tactical mistake of my army? a battle changes faster than you can imagine one second everything is going according to plan the next just twenty men fucked everything up. There is no battle where a tactical mistake isn't made. The thing is how big is the mistake.

Now these vehicles, I highly doubt these will be the final production versions (That is a Syrian vehicle) if so that is a rather large mistake. I never committed on the vehicles themselves merely the formation of the unit does have it's place on a battlefield not the equipment they are given. I am not saying you are wrong but you are also under some misguided notions a battlefield is like how you think it is.

Now if the picture we seen is the final Russian production version then yes that is beyond foolish give me a grenade launcher and that truck is dead. Now I will use a Syrian example for you. The Rebels for example. I know their equipment general numbers of what they had at one point in time they had MORE than enough light AT to cover every single unit, yet int he spaces where operations against them took place only around 40 percent of the space had these weapons present. Only the places that had the heaviest fighting where the SAA had the most armor, or that was critical in terms of strategic land was given these weapons. The areas where no combat was expected at most had small arms like rifles, even the SAA supply lines had areas where just guys with machine guns defended it.

If a big enough force was detected they would send men from a reserve area to counter it. The rats used this against them really the SAA lost more supplies to this then will be admitted by them or the Russians. They got in fast hit hard and got out. Now you can argue "Well the SAA does have limited manpower..." sure but every army does this. Even Mother Russia.

Now you can take my experience for what you want. I personally do not care, I just sought to inform you.

If my comment has been more focused in the vehicle is because the original new was focused in the vehicle.

There are two potential strategic mistakes that I would not bet to find in armies with minimal organization:
    - To have units without man-portable equipment of all the types.
    - To have units totally uncovered by heavy weapons.

The first is obviously a question strategic nature. It is a question of equipment. It can be enough to defeat an attack with Patriots armed like explained in the news. The second also helps to the unit attacked by the Patriots, but still the result of the initial fight can depend also of tactic questions. Even a best case situation of victory for the Patriot unit in the initial attack, only a miracle can save them after it, if the adversary meets well the second strategic point, and has the area covered by heavier and longer range weapons. Today the range of fire of the heavy artillery and of the MRLSs is obscene.

To use Typhoons 6x6 instead of Patriots with this combat configuration can make a difference in the initial attack, but after it something else is required too.
    SeigSoloyvov
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:54 pm

eehnie wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:@Eehnie

First off tactical mistake of my army? a battle changes faster than you can imagine one second everything is going according to plan the next just twenty men fucked everything up. There is no battle where a tactical mistake isn't made. The thing is how big is the mistake.

Now these vehicles, I highly doubt these will be the final production versions (That is a Syrian vehicle) if so that is a rather large mistake. I never committed on the vehicles themselves merely the formation of the unit does have it's place on a battlefield not the equipment they are given. I am not saying you are wrong but you are also under some misguided notions a battlefield is like how you think it is.

Now if the picture we seen is the final Russian production version then yes that is beyond foolish give me a grenade launcher and that truck is dead. Now I will use a Syrian example for you. The Rebels for example. I know their equipment general numbers of what they had at one point in time they had MORE than enough light AT to cover every single unit, yet int he spaces where operations against them took place only around 40 percent of the space had these weapons present. Only the places that had the heaviest fighting where the SAA had the most armor, or that was critical in terms of strategic land was given these weapons. The areas where no combat was expected at most had small arms like rifles, even the SAA supply lines had areas where just guys with machine guns defended it.

If a big enough force was detected they would send men from a reserve area to counter it. The rats used this against them really the SAA lost more supplies to this then will be admitted by them or the Russians. They got in fast hit hard and got out. Now you can argue "Well the SAA does have limited manpower..." sure but every army does this. Even Mother Russia.

Now you can take my experience for what you want. I personally do not care, I just sought to inform you.

If my comment has been more focused in the vehicle is because the original new was focused in the vehicle.

There are two potential strategic mistakes that I would not bet to find in armies with minimal organization:
    - To have units without man-portable equipment of all the types.
    - To have units totally uncovered by heavy weapons.

The first is obviously a question strategic nature. It is a question of equipment. It can be enough to defeat an attack with Patriots armed like explained in the news. The second also helps to the unit attacked by the Patriots, but still the result of the initial fight can depend also of tactic questions. Even a best case situation of victory for the Patriot unit in the initial attack, only a miracle can save them after it, if the adversary meets well the second strategic point, and has the area covered by heavier and longer range weapons. Today the range of fire of the heavy artillery and of the MRLSs is obscene.

To use Typhoons 6x6 instead of Patriots with this combat configuration can make a difference in the initial attack, but after it something else is required too.

Then you would be wrong, I saw this from the SAA when I was alongside the Kurds, I seen this from ISIS, from the Rebels who had more than enough of both to do what you state. You are viewing things in a perfect world not how reality works. Again this is my personal experience in Syria which is only what 6 months old?. Typhoons would be the best choice for a unit like this, the success of the attack would depend on positioning and timing alone. Even if they spent just 10 minutes there, provided they did the attack correctly. That's all you need. I raided lines in this time frame with vehicles like this and caused enough damage. This also depends on what point of the enemies force are you seeking to attack these units will require independent recon forces to find the ample location for their attack. These units are mean't for prolonged fighting to the point they would require heavier stuff.

The main objective for a unit like this is three things.

1. Attack weak spots in supply lines, no supply line has a perfect defense most have many weak spots.

2. Divert manpower away from the Frontline force the enemy to keep more men than they would like.

3. Take advantage of a tactical error by the enemy and exploit it for the main's forces benefit.

Part of my job Sides fighting with the Kurds was teaching/training them. They used these examples to great benefit ISIS had more armor than them but they still won by using maneuver tactics to exploitISIs positioning which is what these kinds of units will be doing.

Now if they can do it right thats another story,
    Benya
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

UAZ “Patriot” combat vehicles

Post  Benya on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:42 pm

A bit more detailed article about the concept of the "superlight brigade".

Russian armed forces have created a new superlight infantry battalion equipped with UAZ Patriot

A superlight infantry battalion has been formed in the Samara Region. It is unique as far as the Russian Armed Forces are concerned. The unit shall operate UAZ Patriot wheeled vehicles mounting Kalashnikov machineguns, the press office of the Central Military District told journalists.

Russian-made UAZ-3163 Patriot 4x4 light tactical vehicle

"Building on the lessons learnt from the fighting of recent years, a superlight infantry battalion has been stood up. It is the first unit of the kind ever in the Russian Armed Forces," the press office said.

The UAZ Patriots in the battalion’s inventory will be equipped with 7.62-mm Kalashnikov machineguns and other weapons as required. Around 90 Patriots are due to the brigade the battalion reports to before the end of the year.

The activation of the battalion will boost the brigade’s mobility by several times on military operations in urbanized terrain and enable it to raid the enemy’s flanks and unprotected positions with lightning speed. The unit’s personnel are receiving tactical training and conducting range practice at the Roshchinsky Training Area in the Samara Region while waiting for the arrival of their new materiel.

The newly infantry brigade of the Central Military District was formed in the Samara Region on November 30. It comprises infantry, field artillery, scout, combat engineer and other units. Its manning with enlisted personnel is under way.

Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/december_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/russian_armed_forces_has_created_a_new_superlight_infantry_battalion_equipped_with_uaz_patriot_tass_11412161.html

Well, those support units of the brigade (field artillery, combat engineer), would need heavier equipment no matter what. These UAZ Patriots are indeed looking like technicals (no armor, no heavy weapons (except ATGMs maybe), so I totally agree with VladimirSahin's statement. In my opinion, the only viable task for this type of units would be COIN (counter-insurgency), but only with a bit heavier vehicles like the Typhoon-series, since these UAZ Patriots do not offer adequate mine/IED and projectile protection.

par far
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  par far on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:55 pm

"RUSSIA EXPANDS GROUND FORCES."

https://southfront.org/russia-expands-ground-forces/

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Ground Forces

Post  Militarov on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Benya wrote:A bit more detailed article about the concept of the "superlight brigade".

Russian armed forces have created a new superlight infantry battalion equipped with UAZ Patriot

A superlight infantry battalion has been formed in the Samara Region. It is unique as far as the Russian Armed Forces are concerned. The unit shall operate UAZ Patriot wheeled vehicles mounting Kalashnikov machineguns, the press office of the Central Military District told journalists.

Russian-made UAZ-3163 Patriot 4x4 light tactical vehicle

"Building on the lessons learnt from the fighting of recent years, a superlight infantry battalion has been stood up. It is the first unit of the kind ever in the Russian Armed Forces," the press office said.

The UAZ Patriots in the battalion’s inventory will be equipped with 7.62-mm Kalashnikov machineguns and other weapons as required. Around 90 Patriots are due to the brigade the battalion reports to before the end of the year.

The activation of the battalion will boost the brigade’s mobility by several times on military operations in urbanized terrain and enable it to raid the enemy’s flanks and unprotected positions with lightning speed. The unit’s personnel are receiving tactical training and conducting range practice at the Roshchinsky Training Area in the Samara Region while waiting for the arrival of their new materiel.

The newly infantry brigade of the Central Military District was formed in the Samara Region on November 30. It comprises infantry, field artillery, scout, combat engineer and other units. Its manning with enlisted personnel is under way.

Source: Arrow http://www.armyrecognition.com/december_2016_global_defense_security_news_industry/russian_armed_forces_has_created_a_new_superlight_infantry_battalion_equipped_with_uaz_patriot_tass_11412161.html

Well, those support units of the brigade (field artillery, combat engineer), would need heavier equipment no matter what. These UAZ Patriots are indeed looking like technicals (no armor, no heavy weapons (except ATGMs maybe), so I totally agree with VladimirSahin's statement. In my opinion, the only viable task for this type of units would be COIN (counter-insurgency), but only with a bit heavier vehicles like the Typhoon-series, since these UAZ Patriots do not offer adequate mine/IED and projectile protection.

Its what we call light mobility vehicle for the army. Every army has some type of such vehicle. Here we atm use mix of Mercedes G class (Puch), Land Rover Defenders and Pinzgauers.

UK is using thousands of Land Rover Wolfs. French have Peugeot P4s and Land Rovers. This is kinda retaking spot UAZ 469 had basically.
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Russian defense contractor puts new types of armament into production this year

The corporation has fully complied with the state defense order in 2016, supplying over 1,200 pieces of armament and military hardware to the Defense Ministry

YEKATERINBURG, December 21. /TASS/. The Urals-based civil and defense contractor Uralvagonzavod has put seven new armament types into production this year, the corporation’s press office reported on Wednesday.

"In 2016, the corporation has arranged the production of seven types of armament. First of all, this is the T-72B3 more profoundly upgraded tank with a more powerful engine and an improved fire control system," the press office said.

"The enterprise has also started for the first time to serially produce the BMR-3MA armored mine-clearing vehicle, the modernized IMR-3M engineering vehicle, the upgraded DT-10PM two-unit prime mover and the SPM special fire-fighting vehicle of unique design that has no rivals in the world. Uralvagonzavod has also assimilated the modernization of the TOS-1A heavy flamethrower system," the enterprise’s press office said.

According to Uralvagonzavod’s data, the corporation has fully complied with the state defense order in 2016, supplying over 1,200 pieces of armament and military hardware to the Defense Ministry.

As part of the state defense order for this year, Uralvagonzavod has fulfilled over 90 state contracts, 70% of which are long-term agreements.

The BMR-3M is a Russian armored mine-clearing vehicle designated to conduct reconnaissance, negotiate and clear minefields, ways of troop columns’ movement and create minefield lanes amid the enemy’s resistance by fire. The BMR-3M has been designed with the use of the chassis of the T-90 tank whose armor has been reinforced.

The TOC-1A heavy flamethrower "Solntsepyok" (Sunheat) is a multiple launch rocket system. The TOS-1A comprises a BM-1 combat vehicle, a T3M-T transporter-loader vehicle and an ammunition set of multiple launch rockets. The TOS-1A heavy flamethrower system is unique by its technical solutions, combat assignments and combat efficiency and has no rivals in the world.

Uralvagonzavod is a Russian R&D Corporation that develops and produces military hardware: T-72, T-90 tanks, BMR-3M mine-clearing combat vehicles, TOS-1A heavy flamethrower systems, Msta-S self-propelled howitzers and other weapons.

The Corporation integrates R&D institutes, design bureaus and production facilities. Uralvagonzavod is wholly owned by the state.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/921184

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am

Making the best out of a bad situation, living out of tents;

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2378892.html
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:00 am

franco wrote:Making the best out of a bad situation, living out of tents;

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2378892.html

Τhis is Russian Army. The best in winter conditions!

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 am

Defense Ministry launches large-scale upgrade of practice ranges in west Russia

VORONEZH, January 17. /TASS/. Russia’s Defense Ministry has started large-scale upgrade of training ranges in the Voronezh, Leningrad and Nizhny Novgorod Regions, the Western Military District’s press office reported on Tuesday.

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/925527

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:08 pm

80th separate motorized rifle brigade Arctic

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2394940.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:18 am

Research Institute of Applied Chemistry is developing new aerosol grenades

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2425662.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:59 am

Russia’s General Staff to strengthen troops in western, Arctic directions

General Staff chief said the decisions made by the supreme commander-in-chief "are being implemented within the strictly defined deadlines, guaranteeing Russia’s military security"

MOSCOW, March 23. /TASS/. The Russian General Staff is focused on strengthening the groupings of forces in the western, south-western and Arctic directions during its strategic planning, Head of the General Staff’s Main Operations Department Sergei Rudskoi said on Thursday.

"The General Staff concentrates the basic efforts on increasing combat capabilities, the capabilities of the Armed Forces, deploying and reinforcing the groupings of forces in the western, south-western and Arctic strategic directions," the general said at a ceremony of introducing officers to the Russian president due to their appointment to senior command posts.

Rudskoi told the president that the decisions made by the supreme commander-in-chief "are being implemented within the strictly defined deadlines, guaranteeing Russia’s military security."

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/937071

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am

Putin orders to draft over 140,000 men into army this spring

More:
    http://tass.com/defense/938387

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:09 pm

George1 wrote:Putin orders to draft over 140,000 men into army this spring

More:

Ouch, 13,000 less then last year. Suppose it should be expected, 2017 & 2018 are the low points on the demographic curve for 18 year old's.
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  PapaDragon on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:39 pm

franco wrote:
    George1 wrote:Putin orders to draft over 140,000 men into army this spring

More:

Ouch, 13,000 less then last year. Suppose it should be expected, 2017 & 2018 are the low points on the demographic curve for 18 year old's.

Yup. Still, given the increased number of contract soldiers lately I think they should absorb that number without any issues.
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:48 am

Moscow Victory Parade 2017 rehearsal, Alabino

franco
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  franco on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Latest equipment rehearsal for May Parade released by the Ministry of Defense;

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mNhmQtgGa6E

Also 5 major new items in this year's parade;

- Arctic Air Defense equipment
    - Su-30SM flying for the Russian Knights
    - Bal and Bastion anti-ship missiles
    - "Unarmia" (new youth military organization) marching in the parade for the first time
    - T-72B3M will participate in the parade

Book.
    Senior Lieutenant
    Senior Lieutenant

Post  Book. on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Гранатомет «Балкан» проходит войсковые испытания
    Russia "Balkan" the Grenade held military tests - APRIL 21, 2017

At present, the Russian grenade launcher "Balkan" held military tests, its acceptance into service is expected in this year.

"Now the rocket launcher located on the military testing. I believe that this year it should be adopted by ", - said the chief designer of NPO" Pribor "holding company" Tehmash "Oleg Chizhevsky.

Antipersonnel grenade launcher 6S19 "Balkan" is the latest development in the field of domestic grenade launchers. It increases the firing range of more than 25% and power in steps two times compared with the standard 30-mm complexes (AGS-17 "Flame" and AGS-30).

http://rostec.ru/news/4520235

Photo: Russian Arms Journal
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 am

Awesome.

The new 40mm grenade looks much larger and heavier than the current 30mm grenades and the launcher looks slim and compact and would be ideal for mounting in a turret on a vehicle as there are no empty shell casings to eject as it is like their 40mm underbarrel grenade launchers in that they are more like mortar bombs than shells.

The extra range would also be useful too.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Wed May 10, 2017 1:58 am

Victory Parade in Buryatia

According to Baikal-Daily, about 1.5 thousand people took part in the Victory Parade in the main square of Ulan-Ude - representatives of the units and military units of the Eastern Military District stationed in Buryatia and representatives of other law enforcement agencies.

Also about 40 units of military and special equipment passed through the Soviets Square - armored personnel carriers BTR-80, samples of military equipment of the Tornado, Hurricane, etc. The commander of the 36th Army, Dmitry Kovalenko, commanded the parade.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2600034.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 27, 2017 9:29 pm