Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  flamming_python on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Ughh I hate it when I hear the word "Terminator 2", get myself psyched up and then remember that it's just a colloquial name that someone's given to the BMPT-72.

The real Terminator 2 is going to be the Armata-based one. And boy is it. gonna. kick. ass.

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:11 pm

TR1 wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:

Armed BULAT and more interestingly, the BTR-82 with new turret

Every time I see a so-called "MRAP", I think of BTR-152.

Bulat and Vystrel don't deserve to be called MRAPs.

Modern BTR-152s are exactly what they are.

If one's to be picky, the 4x4 Vystrels are even more BTR-40s than BTR-152s.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:10 pm

flamming_python wrote:
    TR1 wrote:
    TheArmenian wrote:

Armed BULAT and more interestingly, the BTR-82 with new turret

Every time I see a so-called "MRAP", I think of BTR-152.

Bulat and Vystrel don't deserve to be called MRAPs.

Modern BTR-152s are exactly what they are.

If one's to be picky, the 4x4 Vystrels are even more BTR-40s than BTR-152s.

That too, but I was referring to the Bulat 6X6 in the picture.

HMMWV reminds me of GAZ-69. Of course, I am not trying to belittle the GAZ-69.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:38 pm

From Gaz 66 to Hummer Smile 

Personally I liked Hummer. Very sturdy vehicle. Bit underpowered though. Simple as hell and not crap like civilian versions. It's iconic vehicle like Jeep.

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:34 am

Regular wrote:From Gaz 66 to Hummer Smile 

Personally I liked Hummer. Very sturdy vehicle. Bit underpowered though. Simple as hell and not crap like civilian versions. It's iconic vehicle like Jeep.

GAZ-69, not GAZ-66. GAZ-66 is a phenomenal vehicle that should never be insulted by even being mentioned in the same book as HMMWV.

Here is a picture of GAZ-69A. Of course, many of the GAZ-69s are still running in some parts of the world.

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:46 am

I know Gaz-69. Never drove it. But we used to have it in our farm. At least chassi as we kept many many cars there. Plenty of Soviet tractors too Very Happy 
    I've learned how to drive off road on Gaz-66 and we used it's chassi on off road projects. I have driven Hummer in military. Why are You so harsh about Hummer? Do you have any bad experience about it?
    We even owned M1008 from army surplus... I can say that older US vehicles were amazing. Simple and reliable. They were good when it came to engines, when Soviet engines were lacking. Still best off road vehicles were made in Japan.
    By the way if You ask any Russian who is the ultimate off road vehicle they will tell You it's Gelik Very Happy There is unhealthy fixation with that particular gitlerwagen in Russia.

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:41 pm

has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  macedonian on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:53 pm

GAZ-69, not GAZ-66. GAZ-66 is a phenomenal vehicle that should never be insulted by even being mentioned in the same book as HMMWV.

Here is a picture of GAZ-69A. Of course, many of the GAZ-69s are still running in some parts of the world.

Wouldn't mind owning one of these.
    Put another engine in it so you can register it, and restore it...some fresh paint and all...would make one hell of a ride!
    Nice pic.
    Thanks

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:57 am

A BTR-80 would be great fun to take to airshows and militaria shows. I'd even get dressed up... probably even shave the beard... sadly though I would still be a really fat bald guy clearly not fitting the uniform...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Asf
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  Asf on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm

a really fat bald guy clearly not fitting the uniform...
    Sounds like a general  Smile 

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 pm

The BTR-80 is very comfortable compared to any BMD you know riding in a BMD when you are above 180 cms is horrible, we did it in drills and so on I wish we had something big like the Kurganets but that is only for comfort when it comes to real war Its better to have something with huge fire power and a low silhouette and low weight. When will the new RATNIK gear come into service and will it equip the whole armed forces?

Regular
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Regular on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:13 pm

VladimirSahin wrote:has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool
    Buggies? I was told that there was only 1 VDV buggy custom built from NIVA? So I presume You served in 45th?
    By the way something interesting. Ive seen it's prototypes in late 90s on TV.. Now it looks hummerish

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 pm

I am sorry but that is not the one I dont know even if it was a buggy my english is not fully great, you can say it is a army vehicle and we had four vehicles and two of them was this vehicle (in our unit I did recon for one year then I asked to go to a landing regiment that was a assault unit)  I can't find picture maybe it was custom ordered? It had a PKT on top or you could have installed a grenade launcher or something else I will try to look if they have photo of this vehicle I was talking about.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:26 am

There was talk of Ratnik starting service this year or next year once they have sorted out the new AK family of weapons to go with it.

Regarding the light vehicle... is it this?

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

flamming_python
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  flamming_python on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:17 pm

GarryB wrote:A BTR-80 would be great fun to take to airshows and militaria shows. I'd even get dressed up... probably even shave the beard... sadly though I would still be a really fat bald guy clearly not fitting the uniform...

As we all know there are no bald people in the military, they're not allowed in - so yep you would be exposed immediately  Razz 

VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  VladimirSahin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:56 pm

GarryB yes that is the vehicle we got it in our unit in 2011

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:31 am

Ansyr' Armored Amphibian

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:35 am

Regular wrote:Why are You so harsh about Hummer? Do you have any bad experience about it?

Just that it's an overpriced Jeep. How was its reliability by the way?

Last edited by Morpheus Eberhardt on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:55 am

Hummer is supposed to be eventually replaced with something else, as the hummer H1 line, which is what the HUMVEE is based off of, is in China (manufacturing).  Last time they talked about it, Ford Israel came out with their own variant, and were pushing it for US use.  Haven't heard much since.  From what I have heard from people who have served and used one, is that they lack a great deal of any armor.

Much better than the G-Wagon that Canada uses.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:40 am

Why are You so harsh about Hummer? Do you have any bad experience about it?

My understanding of the evolution of the Tigr was that it was originally developed for a Middle East country that had lots of Humvees given to it by the US as aide and they wanted something similar that wasn't so expensive to run and was actually armoured... which most of the standard original Humvees weren't despite being very big and heavy already.

The result was the original Tigr which was designed and built but suddenly found itself without a market because the US found out and threatened to pull their "aide" if they bought a Russian vehicle too.

BTW that ANSYR looks interesting... being amphibious is a huge plus in my opinion and was one of the biggest weaknesses of the vehicles like Vodnik.

mutantsushi
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  mutantsushi on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:23 am

AFAIK, US Army and Marines plan to replace most HMMVs with upgraded, up-armored HMMVs, and a smaller component with JLTVs which are better armored/protected. JLTV at this stage is being bid by Lockheed (w/ BAE subcontracting some components), Oshkosh, and AM General (original HMMV contractor.

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 am

Regular wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:has anyone had experience with a MAZ-537 I love that truck and I wish I could have drove it in the army but I think that they wont let you drive without a army truck license, I personally had fun with those buggys we got in the VDV lightweight it was fun driving it in the snow I honestly forgot what its make was, I have gotten the chance to drive a BTR-80 which is almost like driving a truck except that it has a 14.5mm cannon on top  Cool
    Buggies? I was told that there was only 1 VDV buggy custom built from NIVA? So I presume You served in 45th?
    By the way something interesting. Ive seen it's prototypes in late 90s on TV.. Now it looks hummerish

Isn't that truck the Zibak Mk2?

magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:29 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Regular wrote:

Isn't that truck the Zibak Mk2?

Chechens have their own version:

macedonian
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  macedonian on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Not my cup of tea that one...too Humveeish

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel