Post  Austin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:01 am

New Pictures of T-95 have emerged

http://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/75960.html#cutid1

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: First photos of T-95 and T-90AM

Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:19 am

Yes, I posted a link to those photos from Igors blog above.

Very interesting.

At first I thought they had gone for a narrow chassis, but now that I look at it again... it appears more like the width is standard tank width and the Chassis is longer and a lot deeper. The level the hull rises above the tracks is significant, though it is made to look worse by the side skirts. The nose hull armour looks very thick.

There seems to be a lot of stuff on the turret even if there is no crew inside it and unless that guy standing on the hull is a dwarf in the top shot both the hull and the turret are signficantly bigger than the T series tanks before it.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am

I think a taller turret will also make it a jucier target , in the sense the opposite gunner would see it much earlier then say it would sight a t-90

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 am

Except that without crew or ammo in the turret what exactly are they hitting?

Without crew or ammo or fuel in the turret an enemy tank is firing either a slim dart projectile or a plasma beam generated by a HEAT warhead to make a relatively narrow hole... even if it goes right through the turret... so what?
    Anything it goes through will be seriously damaged or destroyed... but unless it was the main gun itself it wont effect the performance of the tank or crew.

Also in addition to being a larger target it is also a harder target with better protection.
    Think of a T-90 turret in your head and then take out the crewmen and spare ammo. Think about penetrations from all sorts of angles that go right through. Unless they damage the autoloader or main gun the tank is pretty much still operational.

BTW if the tank has UAVs and MMW radar and CM wave radar and Thermal sights using long, medium, and short IR frequencies I kinda think it will be this tank "seeing" you first.

When you beef up the armour as much as you can the focus then becomes spotting the enemy at the longest range possible... because most tanks can destroy most other tanks at close range and the best way for tanks to fight is to stand off where their armour will protect them from the enemies fire and fire at their enemy with relative impunity.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:07 am

Well if its a HEAT round it may hit the autoloader or some component that might cause the autoloader or MG to stop.

It could also damage the sensitive electronics of CITV or other electronics on top or inside the turret.

They need to flatten the turret to keep its profile low.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 am

Odds are that targets are detected using a number of sensors and the taking out of one of those sensors will effect performance, but will not take the tank out of action.

Besides it would be logical for the gunner to recognise the target and realise their is little point in firing on the turret so he might aim for the hull.

"taking out a tank" by hitting its main gun or ammo would be much easier on an Abrams because its ready to use ammo is in the turret bustle, but how often has that happened in real combat?

I would suspect the top of the turret likely contains some form of protection from top attack weapons and may include an APS to protect the top of the tank from submunitions and top attack weapons.

Or it could be a new form of protection as used by postal services and marketing departments all over the world... you've bought that MP3 player that comes in a box the size of a shoebox for a product the size of a matchbox. How many times will they hit it before they work out where the vital components are...

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am

All said that still does not disqualify my reasoning that T-95 will be detected much earlier due to its higher profile compared to other tanks , so first look and first kill advantage might not be that of T-95 ,irespective of its sensors or APS

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Its weight is for sure more than 55 tons.

Looks ugly and powerful witch makes west seeing it as typical SU design.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

First photos of T-95 and T-90AM

Post  Austin on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:48 pm

here is some additional news on price of T-90A link

In addition, the criterion of "cost-effectiveness, T-90A exceed the nearest competitor - a German" Leopard "- at least 1,5 times, he said. A direct comparison between two similarly priced MBT provides an advantage in 2-2,5 times in favor of Russian products. "And declared Commander SW price of Russian tanks, at least 1.5 times the figure for which the manufacturer is ready to deliver the T-90A to the troops," - said the official.

So what he is saying is they can deliver the T-90A at 1.5 times lower price than what the Chief said which was $4million.

1.5 times lower cost will be $2.6 million unit cost of T-90A

AbsoluteZero
    Corporal
    Corporal

Post  AbsoluteZero on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:12 am

Hi guys I've got a question, recently there had been a number of images circulating in defense forums about a certain Object 195, now isn't that the T-95 project that just got canceled recently? or is it a totally new design thats being developed for serial production in replacement of the T-90?

here are some images I've collected:

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 am

AbsoluteZero wrote:Hi guys I've got a question, recently there had been a number of images circulating in defense forums about a certain Object 195, now isn't that the T-95 project that just got canceled recently? or is it a totally new design thats being developed for serial production in replacement of the T-90?

Object 195 or T-95 project got cancelled last year along with other project.

But the chief designer of the tank mentioned that technologies developed and experienced gathered for T-95 will be incorporated in the new tank which is under development.

IronsightSniper
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  IronsightSniper on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:06 am

Like austin said.

I'm guessing that those recent photos are just from army guys who thought it would be funny to take a picture next to em.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:14 am

From that link from Chief Designer

Izvestiya talked to Uralvagonzavod’s chief armor designer, Vladimir Nevolin, who said:

“The main complaints against the T-90 today are connected with its insufficient survivability. Its deficiency is the placement of people, weapons, and fuel in one compartment. In any case of armor penetration, the igniting of fuel is unavoidable. Even with a fire suppression system, such a possibility isn’t excluded. Therefore, the development of modern armored equipment is going the way of separating people from the fuel and munitions. Moreover, the employment of remotely-controlled armaments is essential. These principles were implemented in our future product – “item 195.” For example, on it, the tank turret no longer had the crew. But it turns out no one needed such a project.”

Vesti FM asked Igor Korotchenko whether Postnikov’s claim that Russian arms aren’t up to snuff is true. He said there are objective problems with Russian-designed weapons, and some planned for introduction are really obsolete. But, according to Korotchenko, the Defense Ministry’s main criticism is that Russian combat vehicles don’t meet survivability requirements.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

New Pictures of T-95 have emerged

Post  GarryB on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:44 am

Speaking to a RIA Novosti press conference, Director of the Ministry of Industry and Trade’s
    (Minpromtorg) Defense-Industrial Complex Development Department, Igor Karavayev answered Postnikov this way:
    “Unfortunately, we are encountering unwarranted criticism of the tactical-technical characteristics of Russian military equipment lately. Allegedly, it doesn’t match its international counterparts.
    An objective evaluation of the characteristics and tests conducted, but also the pace at which our exports are growing, attest to the contrary.”
    He said more than a few countries buy Russian tanks, and the T-90A got a positive evaluation from testing in difficult climatic conditions, including in Saudi Arabia, India, and Malaysia. In Saudi Arabia, according to Karavayev, the T-90A was the only tank to destroy more than 60 percent of its targets after a road march. Karavayev continues:
    The tests conducted in Saudi Arabia as part of an open tender fully and completely contradict the Glavkom’s [Postnikov’s] assertions.”

One of the goals behind the T-90T is to address the survivability issues already identified.The fact that the Army has been to cheap to pay for the survivability enhancements for the tanks suggests a whole new design is a waste of time because they wont buy that either.ERA is cheap yet Russian tanks went into combat without it in Chechnia in the mid 1990s, or with the blocks fitted but no explosive installed.T-90s are bought but not with their full equipment like Shtora and Arena or Drodz because they say they are too expensive.An M1A2 would be expensive too.As mentioned in your post Austin they designed the T-95 to address the survivability issues raised and the Army called it obsolete.Pretty clear the Army knows more about what it doesn't want than what it does want, and the media is hardly the best method of telling the defence industry what it does or does not want.The Russian industry has worked hard to get export orders in a time when the Russian military has been useless in supporting it financially with little or no orders.All this public whining will only undermine all that hard work and result in a loss of income for the Russian industry.... so who will pay for the next generation of weapons if the exports dry up?The Russian military will pay of course... which means the next gen of weapons will be even more expensive and the Russian Military will have no one to blame but themselves.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Nice video of T-90 and Leopard comparision

Post  Austin on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 am

Nice video of T-90 and Leopard comparision , use translation for content but video is good

http://rian.ru/video/20110322/356548390.html

nightcrawler
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

Nice video of T-90 and Leopard comparision , use translation for content but video is good

Post  nightcrawler on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 pm

Russian T-90 tank versus German Leopard 2A6 tank

In the 1500km desert travel evaluation of tanks the T-90 stood foremost among the rivals namely US A1-Abrams & German Leopards dictating its superior speed; firepower & more still its low silhouette causing major problem for the enemy to attack the Russian T-90. More still this tank is four times cheaper than its German counterpart & one can acquire four T-90s as compared to one Leopard for the same price.

see vid.
    http://defencedog.blogspot.com/2011/03/russian-t-90-tank-versus-german-leopard.html

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 pm

T-90AM will be shown in September
    http://www.vz.ru/news/2011/4/7/481997.html

Some pictures I guess of T-90M

http://s013.radikal.ru/i322/1101/14/46f5d9b58456.jpg

http://i037.radikal.ru/1012/2c/9ad930b71b18.jpg http://i037.radikal.ru/1012/2c/9ad930b71b18.jpg

http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/294/2PGGy.jpg http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/294/2PGGy.jpg

medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  medo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Some pictures I guess of T-90M

http://s013.radikal.ru/i322/1101/14/46f5d9b58456.jpg

http://i037.radikal.ru/1012/2c/9ad930b71b18.jpg http://i037.radikal.ru/1012/2c/9ad930b71b18.jpg

http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/294/2PGGy.jpg http://militaryrussia.ru/i/284/294/2PGGy.jpg

Interesting pictures. It seems development of T-90 / T-95 is still going on. So maybe they are not definitively canceled, but just delayed to do some improvements. Any informations if development of BMPT is still going on?

IronsightSniper
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  IronsightSniper on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 am

FYI, the first picture you posted is a picture of the Black Eagle.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 am

T-95 aka Object 195

This tank is discontinued development by Uralvagonzavod in 2010. Its successor is the T-90AM which is a further modernisation of T-90.

Defense declassified the new Russian tank

Uralvagonzavod introduce a new generation of tank T-90AM at the exhibition of arms, which will be held in Nizhny Tagil in the first half of September 2011. On it informs RIA Novosti quoted the press service of the company. URA.RU agency wrote that the new model is a modified version of the tank T-90.

According to CEO UralVagonZavod Oleg Sienko, Defense declassifies new car and has already "consented to the passport image. At the September exhibition tank will be shown in action. Sienko also said that the tank was modified based on comments the Defense Ministry.

CEO UralVagonZavod said that at a meeting held on 8 December 2009, the military have voiced a number of criticisms of the T-90AM. In particular, they claim, to the engine, transmission, charge, and a host of other things. " Now, the engine became more powerful at 130 horsepower, has changed the barrel, there was a "completely different, secure machine-gun installation.

Sienko also said that Uralvagonzavod plans to continue upgrading its other cars, the T-95, though the Defense Ministry in the development of the project is not interested. Back in April 2010 the first deputy defense minister of Russia Vladimir Popovkin said that the agency stopped funding the development of T-95. However, Sienko said that it continues to see in this machine is "more positive than negative."

Uralvagonzavod - Russia's largest manufacturer of military equipment and various types of freight cars. Oleg Sienko headed the company since 2009.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 am

IronsightSniper wrote:FYI, the first picture you posted is a picture of the Black Eagle.

Yes indeed , that thought went to my mind when I first saw it.

Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Austin on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:50 am

Interview:Oleg Sienko: With the finalization of the T-95, may have to take a chance

link

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 am

Sienko also said that Uralvagonzavod plans to continue upgrading its
    other cars, the T-95, though the Defense Ministry in the development of
    the project is not interested. Back in April 2010 the first deputy
    defense minister of Russia Vladimir Popovkin said that the agency
    stopped funding the development of T-95. However, Sienko said that it
    continues to see in this machine is "more positive than negative."

I suspect that if part of the problem with the T-95 was cost and amount of foreign components that over time such issues will resolve themselves and the domestic electronics industry revives (hopefully), and technology moves forward internally rather than from external to Russia.

From that link Austin I noticed this:

It is finished taking into account all requirements of the Ministry of Defense, expressed still in December 2009.

This is interesting because the MOD criticised the T-90 for still using levers or sticks instead of a steering wheel, and it also criticised the lack of defence from top attack weapons.

I guess the above comment means that the T-90AM has new driver controls and defence from top attack weapons... DIRCM?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

T-90AM will be shown in September

Post  GarryB on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:26 am

Interesting pictures. It seems development of T-90 / T-95 is still going
    on. So maybe they are not definitively canceled, but just delayed to do
    some improvements. Any informations if development of BMPT is still
    going on?

The plans in the 1990s were for the T-90 to continue in service for quite some time, and for the T-95 to gradually enter service with the T-90 AFAIK.
    Currently the plans seem to me to be... and I have looked all over the place at all sorts of information from lots of different sources... to upgrade some T-72s to the upgrade standard created for them... which pretty much brings them up to near T-90 standard and adds lots of T-90 stuff like gun and engines etc to greatly improve commonality. In addition to maybe 4,000-5,000 T-72s upgraded, they were also going to have between 1,000 and 1,500 T-90s, but before they started making lots of T-90s (note none were ordered in 2011 for the Russian Military) they wanted an upgrade that removed as many fixable faults as they could in practical terms... so new ERA, turret bustle autoloader as well as under floor armoured autoloader so ammo is no longer stored in the crew compartment and one assumes they will alter where the fuel is stored for the same reasons... also a new gun and new communications and battle management system and new engine and presumably new transmission too. Once it is updated they will start producing the new model T-90 and also upgrading existing T-90s to that standard as they go through overhaul/repair.
    The result will be a fielded force of about 2,000 tanks which share guns and ammo and engines and optics and fire control systems et all and a reserve of maybe 4,000 more tanks.
    In actual practise I rather suspect that the T-90Ms will be kept in storage for real combat, while crews will train on simulators and the upgraded T-72s. The T-90s will likely come out for parades and the odd international exercise, but the normal wear and tear will be on the T-72s.
    In the late 2015-2020 they will have the new Armata heavy vehicle family of which the tank model will be the replacement for the T-90. It will likely have many features of the T-95... probably including external gun in an unmanned turret, and probably a larger calibre gun too. It is certainly possible that the 125mm gun might be kept in service in the first models, but eventually a 150+mm calibre weapon is probably likely unless the west drops their heavy tank designs and starts looking at more mobile sub 45 ton vehicles...
    It is hard to say how they will introduce Armata... because as it is a family of vehicle chassis it makes sense to introduce them all at once... which means lots of vehicle chassis.
    There will be the tank of course, but there will also be the APC... probably only with a light weapon like a 14.5mm gun or 30mm cannon in an external mount, which will likely make a fire support vehicle with BMP-3 level fire power a requirement. A sort of BMPT but with BMP-3 like armament and tank like armoured turret.
    And of course there is the Armata based recovery vehicles, artillery (coalition?), air defence, command, recon, etc etc.
    This is a lot of chassis that will need to be introduced for the Heavy Brigades.
    I suspect that different command regions will get priority and they will change a brigade at a time from the current material to their new allocated material.

I suspect the light formations will get their vehicles first because of cost.

I am just looking forward to see if there are any DIRCM type systems fitted to the new T-90M.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:45 pm

No comments of T-95? WoW...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:13 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:13 am