Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Share
    avatar
    Khepesh

    Posts : 1667
    Points : 1736
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Khepesh on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:01 pm

    I cannot find the orginal report in English, but this from DNR24 is interesting, if true, about MH17. They say that the Australian team investigating the incident have testified to a court in Melbourne that less than half of the fueselage wreckage held by Kiev was sent to Nederlands, that some of the wreckage is not from MH17, that the Dutch initial report about MH17 being shot down by BUK does not conform to Australian or international standards, and that photos, in the link, show that evidence has been tampered with. And the Australians also say that Russia is NOT responsible for any interference. http://dnr24.com/main/16840-avstraliya-utverzhdaet-chto-uliki-po-malaziyskomu-boingu-poddelany-a-rossiya-ne-prichastna.html
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:00 pm

    MH-17 investigation trundles on. I woner if the Malaysians are checking out all the parts that apparently Ukraine kept back in Kiev?

    Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko extended the stay of Malaysian experts investigating the downed MH17 passenger jet over Donbass to August 18, 2016, the Ukrainian Parliament announced on its website Wednesday.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – "[The extension] was returned with the president’s signature [on December 30, 2015]," the Verkhovna Rada’s website reads.


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20151230/1032488100/mh17-ukraine-poroshenko.html#ixzz3vnhFeEzh
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:25 pm

    Bellingcat at it again. From Interfax

    Dutch prosecutors have said they will "seriously study" claims by citizen journalists to have identified Russian soldiers implicated in the crash of flight MH17, shot down over eastern Ukraine in July 2014, The Guardian wrote on January 4. The claims have been made by a British-based group of "citizen investigative journalists" called Bellingcat, which specializes in trawling through data on social media and other open sources, the Guardian said.

    In an interview with the Dutch TV channel NOS on Sunday, January 3, Bellingcat founder Eliot Higgins said his organization had now identified 20 soldiers in this brigade. This is "probably" the group that either knows who fired or has that individual among its number, Higgins said. The sources for this include photos posted on the Internet and army data about personnel deployment that was available online, NOS said. It added that a redacted version of the report should be published "shortly."

    "We received the report just after Christmas," Wim de Bruin, a spokesman for the Dutch prosecutor's office, reported on Sunday. "We will seriously study it and determine whether it can be used for the criminal inquiry," he added.

    In 2014, Bellingcat reported that a BUK mobile launcher, spotted on July 17 in an area controlled by pro-Russian rebels, came from a military convoy from Russia's 53rd anti-aircraft brigade – a unit based in Kursk but sent on maneuvers near the Ukrainian border.
    avatar
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2149
    Points : 2250
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  higurashihougi on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:58 pm

    Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Militarov on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:06 pm

    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    "He" (you know who) was even invited to official statements regarding MH17 by Duch side. He was in first row even. Guy that 2 years ago did not know difference between AK and AR15 platform went long way. His readers and supporters on Twitter are making him "legit".
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  sepheronx on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:47 pm

    Gee, I wish I could continuously lie and fudge info, to just use open source info and make as much money as well.

    This guy is a joke, but a useful tool. Hence why the Dutch use him.  Wont do much other than piss off real professionals as he was kicked out if some sort of forensic group due to lying or such.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Werewolf on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:54 pm

    JohninMK, seriously include links to that stuff. Want to read the comments. Very Happy
    avatar
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2149
    Points : 2250
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  higurashihougi on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:07 pm

    Werewolf wrote:JohninMK, seriously include links to that stuff. Want to read the comments. Very Happy

    The original news from the Guardian.

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/04/mh17-dutch-investigators-to-study-citizen-journalist-claims-over-russians-involved-in-crash

    From Interfax

    http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/315391.html
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5358
    Points : 5587
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Werewolf on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:23 pm

    Didn't know the guardian still had so many guilable idiots in their comment section.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:18 pm

    higurashihougi wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:JohninMK, seriously include links to that stuff. Want to read the comments. Very Happy

    The original news from the Guardian.

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/04/mh17-dutch-investigators-to-study-citizen-journalist-claims-over-russians-involved-in-crash

    From Interfax

    http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/315391.html
    Thanks.

    wilhelm

    Posts : 231
    Points : 235
    Join date : 2014-12-09

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  wilhelm on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:45 pm

    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    He's a youngster (well, compared to me he is) who previously didn't even know the difference between an AK and an M16, yet tried to pass himself off as some sort of investigative expert. Think about that for a moment...
    He operates from his (or his moms) flat and sits on his computer all day long and compiles "facts" from his various "sources" and blogs, and takes what he wants, discards what he doesn't, and assembles what he deems necessary into a story with a slant he wants to present.
    Again, think about that for a moment...

    It's absolutely and completely ludicrous.
    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3261
    Points : 3367
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  flamming_python on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:01 pm

    wilhelm wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    He's a youngster (well, compared to me he is) who previously didn't even know the difference between an AK and an M16, yet tried to pass himself off as some sort of investigative expert. Think about that for a moment...
    He operates from his (or his moms) flat and sits on his computer all day long and compiles "facts" from his various "sources" and blogs, and takes what he wants, discards what he doesn't, and assembles what he deems necessary into a story with a slant he wants to present.
    Again, think about that for a moment...

    It's absolutely and completely ludicrous.

    He's got connections to intelligence services (MI6 et all), and that's enough to buy him constant references and adulations in the mass-media. Simple as that really.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:02 pm

    wilhelm wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    He's a youngster (well, compared to me he is) who previously didn't even know the difference between an AK and an M16, yet tried to pass himself off as some sort of investigative expert. Think about that for a moment...
    He operates from his (or his moms) flat and sits on his computer all day long and compiles "facts" from his various "sources" and blogs, and takes what he wants, discards what he doesn't, and assembles what he deems necessary into a story with a slant he wants to present.
    Again, think about that for a moment...

    It's absolutely and completely ludicrous.

    Not at all. He is just doing what the White House said they were doing at the time of the MH-17 downing, getting their information from social media. Clearly he, or his 'team' have good search and analytical abilities so he could be a guy heading for the top in the new intelligence gathering world. Surprised he has not been absorbed into the operation in Cheltenham. But then maybe he has, he is getting a lot of 'push' behind his comments, which seems to suit what someone wants the world to believe.

    He has initiative and ability, what he is doing makes a lot of sense to him and, whilst I disagree totally with what he says, to me.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5742
    Points : 5846
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  PapaDragon on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:39 pm

    Militarov wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    "He" (you know who) was even invited to official statements regarding MH17 by Duch side. He was in first row even. Guy that 2 years ago did not know difference between AK and AR15 platform went long way. His readers and supporters on Twitter are making him "legit".

    If Twitter following makes you legit then Kim Kardashian is the second coming of Jesus....
    avatar
    auslander

    Posts : 1057
    Points : 1125
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  auslander on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:05 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    "He" (you know who) was even invited to official statements regarding MH17 by Duch side. He was in first row even. Guy that 2 years ago did not know difference between AK and AR15 platform went long way. His readers and supporters on Twitter are making him "legit".

    If Twitter following makes you legit then Kim Kardashian is the second coming of Jesus....

    I wouldn't think Jesus had a butt that size. In fact not many women have a butt that size. In another ten years her walking away from you will look like the front end of a '58 Edsel disappearing in the primordial slime.
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5609
    Points : 5650
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Militarov on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:15 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    "He" (you know who) was even invited to official statements regarding MH17 by Duch side. He was in first row even. Guy that 2 years ago did not know difference between AK and AR15 platform went long way. His readers and supporters on Twitter are making him "legit".

    If Twitter following makes you legit then Kim Kardashian is the second coming of Jesus....

    Well, sadly that is how this sick world works. Kim probably has more power in her hands than Jesus at this point....
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm

    auslander wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    "He" (you know who) was even invited to official statements regarding MH17 by Duch side. He was in first row even. Guy that 2 years ago did not know difference between AK and AR15 platform went long way. His readers and supporters on Twitter are making him "legit".

    If Twitter following makes you legit then Kim Kardashian is the second coming of Jesus....

    I wouldn't think Jesus had a butt that size. In fact not many women have a butt that size. In another ten years her walking away from you will look like the front end of a '58 Edsel disappearing in the primordial slime.
    Not many on here will know the significance of your Edsel comment without looking it up. Something to do with us being old methinks.
    avatar
    auslander

    Posts : 1057
    Points : 1125
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  auslander on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:43 am

    JohninMK wrote:
    auslander wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Question: Why Bellingcat's claims should be "seriously studied" in the first place ? Rolling Eyes

    "He" (you know who) was even invited to official statements regarding MH17 by Duch side. He was in first row even. Guy that 2 years ago did not know difference between AK and AR15 platform went long way. His readers and supporters on Twitter are making him "legit".

    If Twitter following makes you legit then Kim Kardashian is the second coming of Jesus....

    I wouldn't think Jesus had a butt that size. In fact not many women have a butt that size. In another ten years her walking away from you will look like the front end of a '58 Edsel disappearing in the primordial slime.
    Not many on here will know the significance of your Edsel comment without looking it up. Something to do with us being old methinks.

    Yeah, but once they google it they'll understand the analogy.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:18 am

    MH-17 rumbles on

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — According to a letter sent by Oleg Storchevoy, deputy head of Rosaviatsia, to Dutch Safety Board Chairman Tjibbe Joustra, the Russian experts “continued their research based on the additional data specified in the final report and as a result obtained some new important facts that had been not examined in the course of the investigation."

    The new facts of the Dutch report called into question include the presence of heavy air defense systems in eastern Ukraine that were not controlled by Ukrainian government forces, the fact that the aircraft was hit by a 9N314M high-explosive fragmentation warhead, that the warhead that hit the aircraft was carried by a 9M38-series missile launched by a Buk surface-to-air missile system, and the position of the missile in relation to the aircraft at the moment of detonation, as well as the area it was launched from.

    The final report by the Dutch Safety Board on the MH17 crash in Ukraine ignores the fact that Kiev deliberately concealed or distorted information on real threats to the safety of civil flights arising from the military activities of Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense, Rosaviatsia said. “The conclusion made in the report…that Ukraine, having sovereign control of its airspace, was responsible for ensuring the safety of flights…appears to be incomplete and does not reflect the objective fact that Ukraine ignored safety risks for civil aircraft after unleashing hostilities in the east of the country.”

    The full text of the letter has been posted on Rosaviatsia's official website.


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160114/1033107563/mh17-report-ukraine-russia.html#ixzz3xJ5ayKW7

    Full report, including the 12 page letter, in English is at http://fortruss.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/storchevoys-letter-to-dutch-safety.html


    Last edited by JohninMK on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Second item added)
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:29 pm

    JohninMK wrote:MH-17 rumbles on

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — According to a letter sent by Oleg Storchevoy, deputy head of Rosaviatsia, to Dutch Safety Board Chairman Tjibbe Joustra, the Russian experts “continued their research based on the additional data specified in the final report and as a result obtained some new important facts that had been not examined in the course of the investigation."

    The new facts of the Dutch report called into question include the presence of heavy air defense systems in eastern Ukraine that were not controlled by Ukrainian government forces, the fact that the aircraft was hit by a 9N314M high-explosive fragmentation warhead, that the warhead that hit the aircraft was carried by a 9M38-series missile launched by a Buk surface-to-air missile system, and the position of the missile in relation to the aircraft at the moment of detonation, as well as the area it was launched from.

    The final report by the Dutch Safety Board on the MH17 crash in Ukraine ignores the fact that Kiev deliberately concealed or distorted information on real threats to the safety of civil flights arising from the military activities of Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense, Rosaviatsia said. “The conclusion made in the report…that Ukraine, having sovereign control of its airspace, was responsible for ensuring the safety of flights…appears to be incomplete and does not reflect the objective fact that Ukraine ignored safety risks for civil aircraft after unleashing hostilities in the east of the country.”

    The full text of the letter has been posted on Rosaviatsia's official website.


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160114/1033107563/mh17-report-ukraine-russia.html#ixzz3xJ5ayKW7

    Full report, including the 12 page letter, in English is at http://fortruss.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/storchevoys-letter-to-dutch-safety.html
    Well, I finally read the letter. They come up with several 'new important facts' (clearly a legal phrase) that severely question the Dutch Final Report. Either the Dutch try to ignore the Russian letter or they have a bit of a problem. Anyone who thinks that this might go to any court, other than of the kangaroo kind, with any chance of a conviction is deluding themselves.

    In outline the conclusions are:

    - Bow tie fragments are not from 9N314M warhead, too thin (my comment is that very very few were recovered from the hundreds created)
    - Holes in fuselage don't match 9N314M bow tie fragments
    - Fragment of 9M38 missile body found at crash site doesn't match expected shape after detonation
    - Assumed detonation point doesn't match warhead's fuse algorithm, too close to nose of 777
    - Assumed detonation point doesn't match 9N314M spray area with evidence on fuselage
    - Concluded launch area doesn't match specification and operating principles of 9M38, Russian calculations show launch in area of Zaroshchenskoye.

    Also that there is no evidence to confirm claim in report that the An-24 and Su-25 were downed by a 'heavy' SAM like the Buk.

    Under the terms of the Chicago Convention and protocols of ICAO, Ukrainian airspace should have been closed in April 2014. So Ukraine has a liability.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:25 pm

    Chapter and verse analysis of the MH-17 saga, basically homing in on Kerry's comment shortly after the incident, that the US knew exactly where it was launched from, that turned into silence on that issue. A long but interesting read covering all the key points.

    https://consortiumnews.com/2016/01/15/mh-17s-unnecessary-mystery
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:10 am

    More on MH-17. This time in the ECHR where Ukraine is being pursued for not shutting its airspace. Another John Helmer investigation where he is teasing out the behind the scenes shenanigans. These are the first couple of paras

    The European Court of Human Rights is refusing to act on a year-old case from the daughter of a Dutch passenger killed when Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 was shot down on July 14, 2014. Denise Kenke, daughter of Willem Grootscholten, accuses the Ukraine Government of failing its legal duty to prevent civilian aircraft from flying into the airspace Ukrainian officials knew to be dangerous. Her court papers say the claim is also founded on the conclusion of the Dutch Safety Board, reported last October, that the government in Kiev had been negligent in failing to act on “sufficient reason for closing the airspace above the eastern part of Ukraine”.

    Although the 11-page application was filed on November 17, 2014, the Court has imposed a secrecy blackout on all details of the case, preventing website access. After Kenke’s lawyer, Elmar Giemulla of Berlin, a leading German aviation law specialist, filed additional argument, legal precedents, and evidence from the Dutch Safety Board (DSB), the Court refused to acknowledge receipt or to reply. Tracey Turner-Tretz, spokesman for the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) and its registrar, Roderick Liddell, a British national, said this week: “the application in question was granted confidentiality.”


    The whole stinking evasive mess is at http://johnhelmer.net/?p=14997#more-14997
    avatar
    Neutrality

    Posts : 848
    Points : 866
    Join date : 2015-05-02

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Neutrality on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:04 am

    I think people on this website will find this recent piece of news VERY interesting. It's about flight MH17 and failure on Ukraine's part to notify EUROCONTROL about 3 non-operational radars in Eastern Ukraine at the time of the disaster:

    http://politiek.tpo.nl/2016/02/02/mh17-oekraine-mellde-uitstaan-radars-niet-aan-eurocontrol/

    Translation by Google: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpolitiek.tpo.nl%2F2016%2F02%2F02%2Fmh17-oekraine-mellde-uitstaan-radars-niet-aan-eurocontrol%2F

    The Dutch are slowly getting there.

    Joe Sultana promised to come with more information this week. It will be very interesting to hear what this man has to say.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5230
    Points : 5293
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:32 am

    Neutrality wrote:I think people on this website will find this recent piece of news VERY interesting. It's about flight MH17 and failure on Ukraine's part to notify EUROCONTROL about 3 non-operational radars in Eastern Ukraine at the time of the disaster:

    http://politiek.tpo.nl/2016/02/02/mh17-oekraine-mellde-uitstaan-radars-niet-aan-eurocontrol/

    Translation by Google: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpolitiek.tpo.nl%2F2016%2F02%2F02%2Fmh17-oekraine-mellde-uitstaan-radars-niet-aan-eurocontrol%2F

    The Dutch are slowly getting there.

    Joe Sultana promised to come with more information this week. It will be very interesting to hear what this man has to say.
    Good find. Its not new news but its good that the Dutch are clearly pursuing the Ukrainian duty of care aspect i e that MH-17 should not have been there in the first place.

    Bet the Dutch are interested in the dates those radars were out of service, not that the records won't have been tampered to suit Kiev.
    avatar
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2149
    Points : 2250
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  higurashihougi on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:27 pm

    https://www.rt.com/news/331833-mh17-dutch-probe-ignore/


    Desperate for answers that would shed the light on who fired the BUK missile that allegedly hit the passenger plane on July 17, 2014, and dissatisfied with the slow-moving Dutch probe, the relatives have turned to the heads of several states, including Russia’s. On January 22, they sent a letter to Putin, asking about the primary data from radars and satellites, which they think is crucial.

    "We did not impose any conditions or restrictions regarding further use and disclosure of radar data, records of phone conversations and other data we submitted to the Dutch Safety Board (DSB) at its request. Moreover, Russia has stored all that data to this day, and is willing to provide it once again to the relevant authorities," said Storchevoy.

    Moscow provided the Netherlands with radar and other data on the MH17 crash but it has all been ignored, a Russian aviation official said, responding to the relatives of Dutch victims who recently wrote to President Vladimir Putin.

    Oleg Storchevoy, the deputy head of Rosaviatsia, the agency representing Russia in the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash investigation, has personally addressed the relatives of the victims in a lengthy letter.

    "I would like to emphasize that Russia is strongly committed to establishing the actual cause of the crash, and has consistently done everything in its power to help find out the truth, both throughout the course of the technical investigation and following its official completion," he said.

    Sponsored content

    Re: MH-17 downing: Data and update

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:08 pm