Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+58
limb
lyle6
Isos
The-thing-next-door
Hole
PhSt
kvs
Nibiru
LMFS
miketheterrible
BliTTzZ
archangelski
slouma
Project Canada
Benya
gaurav
AK-Rex
x_54_u43
max steel
Zhukov-Patton
Arctic_Fox
sweartome123
Kimppis
ult
Regular
OminousSpudd
VladimirSahin
flamming_python
PapaDragon
zg18
KoTeMoRe
JohninMK
GunshipDemocracy
franco
Neutrality
Cpt Caz
Austin
Kyo
Cyberspec
Vann7
Asf
NationalRus
partizan
sepheronx
Mike E
George1
Zivo
Werewolf
AlfaT8
Mindstorm
medo
Flanky
magnumcromagnon
Flyboy77
GarryB
IshayJ
Viktor
alexgiorev3
62 posters

Ratnik combat gear

GarryB
    GarryB

Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 Empty Re: Ratnik combat gear

Post  GarryB Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:15 am

The next set they are working on is Ratnik 3 or it has some other name now, but it is very good that they are looking at the complete set of soldiers gear and a system rather than individual pieces.

This simplifies things because sometimes items can be combined into multifunctional devices that mean you don't need to carry three things to do three things you can carry one...

The did mention in one report that Ratnik 3 was going to include a new range of firearms that use new principles... which sounds intriguing...
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 pm

To replace the "Ratnik" outfit: in Russia, heavy-duty polyethylene has been created, which is applicable in body armor
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 1610593671_5

In Russia, a special super-lightweight and super-strong material has been developed. It is planned to make it the basis of promising means of protection against bullets and shrapnel for military personnel.

We are talking about the so-called ultramolecular polyethylene, the plates of which will become the basis of the body armor. The material is lighter not only than metal, but also Kevlar-based organoplastic used in the creation of American body armor. At least that's what they write in the departmental publication Krasnaya Zvezda.

It is indicated that the latest Russian material is able to withstand a direct hit of small arms ammunition weapons or a fragment moving at a speed of up to 670 m / s. This is significantly higher than the indicators of the mentioned American organoplastic (its limit is 480 m / s), as well as the Israeli material, designated as UD (up to 630 m / s).

The Russian supermolecular polyethylene is planned to be used in the creation of body armor, which will replace the set of military uniforms (equipment) "Ratnik".

According to the latest information, the new material is named "Super Thread". The first bulletproof vests, which are being tested, have already been produced on the basis of Supernity. Taking into account these tests, a conclusion will be made about the optimal thickness of the plates from the new version of polyethylene for various protection options.

It is especially emphasized that the new body armor can become the basis of protection for the marines, as the feature of the "Supernity" is also in the fact that the material is able to stay on the surface of the water.

With the active introduction of body armor based on such material, the load (by weight) on the fighters during combat (combat training) operations can be significantly reduced, which means the fighter saves energy, and therefore the ability to maintain combat effectiveness longer.

https://en.topwar.ru/178986-na-smenu-jekipirovke-ratnik-v-rossii-sozdan-sverhprochnyj-polijetilen-primenimyj-v-bronezhiletah.html

GarryB, par far, kvs and Hole like this post

kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:32 pm

The key is that it is not a solid plate but a threaded material. Combined with the properties of the plastic the claimed strength
    figures are fully realistic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-molecular-weight_polyethylene

GarryB likes this post

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:38 pm

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    To replace the "Ratnik" outfit: in Russia, heavy-duty polyethylene has been created, which is applicable in body armor
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 1610593671_5

In Russia, a special super-lightweight and super-strong material has been developed. It is planned to make it the basis of promising means of protection against bullets and shrapnel for military personnel.

We are talking about the so-called ultramolecular polyethylene, the plates of which will become the basis of the body armor. The material is lighter not only than metal, but also Kevlar-based organoplastic used in the creation of American body armor. At least that's what they write in the departmental publication Krasnaya Zvezda.

It is indicated that the latest Russian material is able to withstand a direct hit of small arms ammunition weapons or a fragment moving at a speed of up to 670 m / s. This is significantly higher than the indicators of the mentioned American organoplastic (its limit is 480 m / s), as well as the Israeli material, designated as UD (up to 630 m / s).

The Russian supermolecular polyethylene is planned to be used in the creation of body armor, which will replace the set of military uniforms (equipment) "Ratnik".

According to the latest information, the new material is named "Super Thread". The first bulletproof vests, which are being tested, have already been produced on the basis of Supernity. Taking into account these tests, a conclusion will be made about the optimal thickness of the plates from the new version of polyethylene for various protection options.

It is especially emphasized that the new body armor can become the basis of protection for the marines, as the feature of the "Supernity" is also in the fact that the material is able to stay on the surface of the water.

With the active introduction of body armor based on such material, the load (by weight) on the fighters during combat (combat training) operations can be significantly reduced, which means the fighter saves energy, and therefore the ability to maintain combat effectiveness longer.

https://en.topwar.ru/178986-na-smenu-jekipirovke-ratnik-v-rossii-sozdan-sverhprochnyj-polijetilen-primenimyj-v-bronezhiletah.html

GarryB, x_54_u43, Hole and lyle6 like this post

lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:11 pm

miketheterrible dislikes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm

I'm curious how he obtained the armor? You can't sell or donate without a license in Russia which brings some obvious questions to the videos.

GarryB likes this post

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Interesting that this guy seems to think helmets are to stop pistol bullets from close range.

Wonder if he realises how rare pistol rounds are on the modern battlefield...

Helmets and body armour protect soldiers from fragments and the odd shot from a weapon.

The claim that the latest Russian helmet is worse than their WWII models is amusing... especially when using a range of pistol calibres few countries military forces even use.

Does he know for sure the modern helmet he acquired was legitimate?

With the body armour he tested SLRs which are no longer in use in the west and 30-06 which is not really used either... could he not get some browning 50 cal ammo?

magnumcromagnon and miketheterrible like this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:32 pm

I have watched tests done by RT Russia showing the helmets stopping quite a lot.

So I'm calling bs on the video based upon how he obtained the helmets. I presume they are cheap knockoffs since official ones can only be sold to military and not civilian.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Dig this up

https://www.russiadefence.net/t4926p50-ratnik-combat-gear#87043

So the guy in video is claiming the Swiss are wrong then?

These are official tests done for multitude of helmets around the world

Yeah, I think he has some knockoff helmet. I am certain all are knockoff equipment. He will have to provide proof that these are official.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:22 pm

Well best, based on what? There's lot of bests, best in absolute protection, relative per weight, best in coverage etc. - has to be narrowed.

So I went ahead and tried to find out what or how it is the best and this is what I found:
    In terms of the ratio of anti-splinter resistance and weight, this helmet is at the level of the best world analogues.
    From https://vpk.name/library/f/shlem-6b47.html

I also found this handy chart:
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 Apt673B

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:32 pm

In your link:
    Since 2011, the armocom Center has been developing a combined-arms helmet 6B47 with reduced overall dimensions, with a weight of up to 1 kg and an anti-splinter resistance of more than 650 m/s. One of the main tasks when designing a helmet is to ensure injury safety when exposed to damaging elements: bullets of TT, PM pistols and shrapnel.

The video claims it can't protect from that but these helmets goes through very tough testing and sent abroad for testing as well for export certifications.  So he has a fake.

The helmet was tested against steel core 9mm rounds officially.  So the wearer of the helmet will survive that. This guy claims no.

As I said, nonsense. No way he obtained an official ratnik kit. You can't export it without a license registered officially and without gov oversight.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:03 pm

He used a glock 9 mm steel core to simulate the GOST-2 rating, so Parabellum 9x19 which is significantly more powerful than either the Tokarev or the Makarov cartridges. Pretty weird considering the official looking datasheet says its only good up to Makarov 57-N-181S.

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:12 pm

So what's it's equivalent? Cause the moron on the video says the US helmets are better but how is that the case when it has exact same specifications?  Even represented in your pic you provided.

I also lost brain cells reading the comments. Helmet protecting against 7.62 at short ranges like they claim? I guess the kneck doesn't snap under such conditions?
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm

miketheterrible wrote:So what's it's equivalent? Cause the moron on the video says the US helmets are better but how is that the case when it has exact same specifications?  Even represented in your pic you provided.
    He's comparing them to US combat helmets in circulation which are indeed better ballistically, with the very latest capable of shrugging even 300 BLK (but not the militarily significant .308). Pretty gnarly, but that's neglecting the fact that the US helmets are 3 lbs while the 6B47 is 1 kg, so 2.2 lbs.

Nearly 13 ounces in difference in weight is significant, that's like having a water bottle taped to your head for hours, and days on end. That sort of stress adds up and you can expect significantly more neck injuries and lots of very expensive medical treatments for your veterans as a result.

It could be the case that the Russians never really saw the point in providing for the marginal protection afforded by those extra 13 ounces, and just opted to cover the most common threat there is which is fragmentation from artillery shells. Seems like a very Russian way of thinking and one that is prone to be misunderstood by Westerners who insist on the utmost level of performance despite the resulting tradeoffs.

LMFS likes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Isn't the one in your pic in circulation in the US? If so, wouldn't that mean it's about the same?

which helmet is in circulation that protects against such munitions? From my limited knowledge of the body (took EMT), a person's kneck would snap.
    lyle6
    lyle6

Post  lyle6 Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:02 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Isn't the one in your pic in circulation in the US? If so, wouldn't that mean it's about the same?

which helmet is in circulation that protects against such munitions?  From my limited knowledge of the body (took EMT), a person's kneck would snap.

This one:

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm

Huh. I would need to see it in use where a watermelon wears it.  Cause that kind of pressure would cause internal injuries like Kneck. Better than dead I suppose. But not if the kneck snaps.

But this is something Ratnik 3 should look at.  Should stop minimum NATO round.

I also seen videos of Russian helmet stopping a lot so it's in the air. Ill see if I can dig up the videos.

I'm still unsure how he got it. Most likely illegal or its a fake set. Cause it isnt exactly out for export as of yet
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Unfortunately the video was set to private but the armor was able to handle ak-103 and SVD (7.62x51r) at 10m. No penetration

https://en.topwar.ru/111465-bronezhilet-ratnik-rasstrelyali-iz-svd-i-avtomata-ak-103.html
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm

miketheterrible wrote:Unfortunately the video was set to private but the armor was able to handle ak-103 and SVD (7.62x51r) at 10m. No penetration

https://en.topwar.ru/111465-bronezhilet-ratnik-rasstrelyali-iz-svd-i-avtomata-ak-103.html
    Here you go:

miketheterrible likes this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:03 pm

Yeah. Solid armor. I still stand by comment of mine, this American didn't get legit stuff. He couldn't due to sanctions and outright licenses needed to sell due to the type of equipment it is.
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Vulkan 5 has very high rating, able to take a SVD round. But as I said, would snap the kneck if the wearer.

Also, it is heavy. It is used by the FSB and the National guard.
    calripson

Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 Empty Russian ceramic plates

Post  calripson Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywlf6uaDvjQ&t=155s
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:01 am

Put the standard camo pattern on rando gear...ratnik armor it does not make. Seriously though, if I wear a blue and white striped shirt does that make me a VDV paratrooper? In NYC, there was a anti-drug/crime youth group who wore red berets called the "Guardian Angels"....does that make them Spetnaz commandos?
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.dailymail.co.uk%2Fi%2Fpix%2F2016%2F02%2F02%2F00%2F30C8EC6900000578-3427349-image-a-10_1454373325440

Oh no!!! Russian special forces are invading/waging war in the Bronx!!! Wink
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnyctastemakers.com%2Fguardianangels%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F12%2Fga-3-1024x576

miketheterrible and Hole like this post

miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 am

If it stops a 7.62x51r at 5m as shown in other tests, it brings into question where this dope gets his gear.

After learning it, he gets it donated by other members. I have serious questions about it's legitimacy. As I said, you can't get it outside of Russia without special licenses. You can't just "donate" it.

Scorpius likes this post

Russian_Patriot_
    Russian_Patriot_

Post  Russian_Patriot_ Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:59 pm

Russian soldiers on exercises in Uzbekistan with the 1PN137 sighting complex(part of the Ratnik equipment) , manufactured by the Jupiter plant: 1P87 collimator ("Valdai-PK120"), 1PN138 night monocular ("Valdai-MN120"), 1P90 sight tube ("Valdai-ZT410") and 1K241 laser designator.
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 36gppl10

1P87
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 Vslidb10

1PN138
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 H-1zwc10

1P90
    Ratnik combat gear - Page 11 P9kuan10

I didn't find any photos of 1K241

medo, dino00 and Hole like this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content