Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Share

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:02 pm

    Was about to post it.

    The Hunter is on duty.

    Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1504
    Points : 1540
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  Zivo on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 pm

    I wonder where the Ka-52's are?

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5391
    Points : 5640
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  Werewolf on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 pm

    Zivo wrote:I wonder where the Ka-52's are?

    Designating shit and fancy recon missions.

    medo
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3057
    Points : 3155
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  medo on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:06 pm

    Zivo wrote:I wonder where the Ka-52's are?

    On the mission to ensure sleepless nights for ISIL. Very Happy

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3388
    Points : 3431
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  JohninMK on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:17 am

    The tourists have already reached Palmyra, no, no, not the foreign guys relaxing in the front who are clearly up to no good (from an ISIS perspective), the three near the top of the hill Laughing


    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3685
    Points : 3797
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 am


    Военный Советник ‏@miladvisor

    #Russian team on the ground helps correcting the work of artillery and aviation on #Palmyra front


    https://twitter.com/miladvisor/status/713825120410812416




    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:06 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Военный Советник ‏@miladvisor

    #Russian team on the ground helps correcting the work of artillery and aviation on #Palmyra front


    https://twitter.com/miladvisor/status/713825120410812416




    Let's see if KoTeMoRe can identify this system.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:28 am

    Ironically that looks awfully a lot like a detection and jamming antenna.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:36 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:Ironically that looks awfully a lot like a detection and jamming antenna.

    Communication jammer?

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:56 am

    Yes...

    x_54_u43
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 188
    Points : 208
    Join date : 2015-09-19

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  x_54_u43 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:12 am

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Военный Советник ‏@miladvisor

    #Russian team on the ground helps correcting the work of artillery and aviation on #Palmyra front


    https://twitter.com/miladvisor/status/713825120410812416




    Let's see if KoTeMoRe can identify this system.


    You would be hard-pressed to find information on Russian jamming systems, they don't give out much information except for what you see on stands, and even that is limited to pictures and basic specifications.

    It might be related RP-377, as those have been spotted multiple times on the back of BTR-82As, would not be surprised if Russians developed modular, family-based systems with each covering different sections of the radio spectrum.


    It might be "Торна"



    Antenna height might be different, but most are adjustable anyway. Only difference is the lower section, but those could be folded away where we can't see them on the vehicle.

    Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1035
    Points : 1050
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  Dima on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:39 am

    sweartome123 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:While air strike is a little off (especially as he had and MG2/MIB at disposal for point defence that wasn't used) he sure died his AK at hand (blood clearly visible on cheekweld, dust cover, eyepiece). Motherfuckers didn't get him alive. What's most important here is that he was seemingly alone (IE he was abandoned by his fireteam, most probably dead or wounded). VP warrior.  

    Do you think that this soldier was likely the one seen in that ISIS video last week?

    Being a foward observer is dangerous stuff. I'm certain he took many ISIS scumbags down with him.

    Rest in peace, soldier.
    Yes, probably its that same person. Like I said earlier, he was into recce mission and got killed along with his colleagues. Now we know for sure that he got killed while on specific duty. The Russian MoD have confirmed 1 KIA after days since this first got reported and I don't think they have anything to hide w.r.t to KIA. The IS have been claiming about 5 dead Russians which gives us an idea this forward recce/spotter group consisted of possibly 5 members with one Russians and 3-4 SAA guys. All guys likely perished in the firefight and the terrorists managed to get hold of the body.

    Dima
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1035
    Points : 1050
    Join date : 2012-03-22

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  Dima on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:02 am

    Mi-28 over Palmyra


    Russian media

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:21 am

    Dima wrote:
    sweartome123 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:While air strike is a little off (especially as he had and MG2/MIB at disposal for point defence that wasn't used) he sure died his AK at hand (blood clearly visible on cheekweld, dust cover, eyepiece). Motherfuckers didn't get him alive. What's most important here is that he was seemingly alone (IE he was abandoned by his fireteam, most probably dead or wounded). VP warrior.  

    Do you think that this soldier was likely the one seen in that ISIS video last week?

    Being a foward observer is dangerous stuff. I'm certain he took many ISIS scumbags down with him.

    Rest in peace, soldier.
    Yes, probably its that same person. Like I said earlier, he was into recce mission and got killed along with his colleagues. Now we know for sure that he got killed while on specific duty. The Russian MoD have confirmed 1 KIA after days since this first got reported and I don't think they have anything to hide w.r.t to KIA. The IS have been claiming about 5 dead Russians which gives us an idea this forward recce/spotter group consisted of possibly 5 members with one Russians and 3-4 SAA guys. All guys likely perished in the firefight and the terrorists managed to get hold of the body.

    there is no evidence there were more casualties or the guy they showed in the video was Russian. There is circumstantial evidence that one set of photos published by IS of GRU/SSO FAC team with Hizb balancers was involved in Syria and at least one Russian-looking operative was killed. The only hard evidence we have is a 1992 rifle with expensive setup, a multi purpose defensive charge and Russian MD. They seized nothing of value from the dead, if that was a whole FAC team they killed, then they must have communicated by smoke signals with VKS.

    OminousSpudd
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 817
    Points : 836
    Join date : 2015-01-03
    Age : 21
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  OminousSpudd on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:08 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Dima wrote:
    sweartome123 wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:While air strike is a little off (especially as he had and MG2/MIB at disposal for point defence that wasn't used) he sure died his AK at hand (blood clearly visible on cheekweld, dust cover, eyepiece). Motherfuckers didn't get him alive. What's most important here is that he was seemingly alone (IE he was abandoned by his fireteam, most probably dead or wounded). VP warrior.  

    Do you think that this soldier was likely the one seen in that ISIS video last week?

    Being a foward observer is dangerous stuff. I'm certain he took many ISIS scumbags down with him.

    Rest in peace, soldier.
    Yes, probably its that same person. Like I said earlier, he was into recce mission and got killed along with his colleagues. Now we know for sure that he got killed while on specific duty. The Russian MoD have confirmed 1 KIA after days since this first got reported and I don't think they have anything to hide w.r.t to KIA. The IS have been claiming about 5 dead Russians which gives us an idea this forward recce/spotter group consisted of possibly 5 members with one Russians and 3-4 SAA guys. All guys likely perished in the firefight and the terrorists managed to get hold of the body.

    there is no evidence there were more casualties or the guy they showed in the video was Russian. There is circumstantial evidence that one set of photos published by IS of GRU/SSO FAC team with Hizb balancers was involved in Syria and at least one Russian-looking operative was killed. The only hard evidence we have is a 1992 rifle with expensive setup, a multi purpose defensive charge and Russian MD. They seized nothing of value from the dead, if that was a whole FAC team they killed, then they must have communicated by smoke signals with VKS.

    Good point. This would add validity to the claim that he did in fact call an airstrike on his position. Hence no gear or body to show for it. R.I.P indeed.

    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3685
    Points : 3797
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:33 pm


    BM-27 Uragan ‏@bm27_uragan

    Russian marine in Tartus port


    https://mobile.twitter.com/bm27_uragan



    Cool

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1304
    Points : 1326
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KiloGolf on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:29 am

    Zivo wrote:I wonder where the Ka-52's are?


    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:43 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    BM-27 Uragan ‏@bm27_uragan

    Russian marine in Tartus port


    https://mobile.twitter.com/bm27_uragan



    Cool

    So the Russians have brought all kind of night sights in Syria;...PN19K5/PN23/IWT Xaron

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:49 am

    BTW only 3 recorded ATGM launches in March...

    THREE! February saw 79 (which was a lot more than expected, but very much spread, thus lacking that punch back force they used to be. In the mean time the SAA started using them as portable direct light arty.

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1304
    Points : 1326
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KiloGolf on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:02 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:BTW only 3 recorded ATGM launches in March...

    THREE! February saw 79 (which was a lot more than expected, but very much spread, thus lacking that punch back force they used to be. In the mean time the SAA started using them as portable direct light arty.

    Almost as if someone has been wrecking their supplies day and night dunno
    Or the bosses lost motivation.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:21 am

    KiloGolf wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:BTW only 3 recorded ATGM launches in March...

    THREE! February saw 79 (which was a lot more than expected, but very much spread, thus lacking that punch back force they used to be. In the mean time the SAA started using them as portable direct light arty.

    Almost as if someone has been wrecking their supplies day and night dunno
    Or the bosses lost motivation.

    Bit of both, but most probably the complete cutoff of Turkish border and internal shenanigans have scattered the TOW teams. Until the US figures out how to get around both Russian bombs and ceasefire...

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3388
    Points : 3431
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:40 pm

    Pictures courtesy BM-27

    Mi-24 in its lair



    Interesting ZPU-4 mount



    Two Mi-24 and Mi35 on the way home. That An is a big beasty!!!


    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3388
    Points : 3431
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 pm

    Russia pulling out, yeah russia

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The Syrian army confirmed Sunday that it had liberated the historic city of Palmyra from Daesh terrorist group with support of national aviation and Russian Aerospace Forces.

    Later on Sunday, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he had instructed the Russian Defense Ministry to provide maximum support to Syria in demining Palmyra.

    “In line with the decision by the Russian president, engineering troops, including units from the International Anti-Mining Center, will complete tasks on demining Palmyra,” Gerasimov told journalists.

    He said that this week the necessary equipment and demining robotic equipment would be sent to the liberated ancient city.


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160328/1037079278/russia-demining-palmyra.html#ixzz44CN5yOaT

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3388
    Points : 3431
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 pm

    Yandex translate

    The General staff of the Russian Federation: Palmyra freed by Russian special forces and military advisers
    28.03.2016, 14:21

    The Syrian city Palmyra was part VC of the Russian Federation, Russian special forces and military advisers. This was announced by the chief of the General staff of the Russian armed forces Valery Gerasimov.


    Original news RT in Russian:
    https://russian.rt.com/article/155900

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3388
    Points : 3431
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  JohninMK on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:40 pm

    No rest for the wicked

    The Russian Air Force is not taking a break after the liberation of Palmyra (Tadmur); instead, they have chosen to expand their aerial campaign to the strategic town of Sukhanah, which is situated in the Homs Governorate’s northeastern countryside. Sukhanah is an oil rich town that has become the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham’s (ISIS) stronghold in northeastern Homs; its proximity to the Deir Ezzor Governorate makes it a top priority for the Syrian Arab Army’s Central Command.

    So far, the Russian Air Force has launched several airstrikes over the town, hitting a large number of ISIS targets along the Palmyra-Sukhanah Road. In the coming days, the frequency of these airstrikes will exponentially increase as the Syrian Armed Forces push their way towards this strategic desert- town.


    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/russian-air-force-begins-new-campaign-isis-controlled-sukhanah/ | Al-Masdar News

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Military involvement and aid to Syria #8

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:01 am


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:01 am