Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Share

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:17 pm

    crazy

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:24 pm

    Laughing

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:55 pm

    Amazing footage of #Iraq's Air Force destroying a Da'ish convoy in Rawah district in western #Anbar, near the #Syria border region.

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:21 pm

    https://twitter.com/Bassam_Nasralla/status/788458677867016192

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3369
    Points : 3412
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:05 pm

    The local 'you are not going to shoot my tyres out' modification.


    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4816
    Points : 4863
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  Militarov on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:07 pm



    Iraqis with good old Zastava

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3369
    Points : 3412
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  JohninMK on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 pm

    More 'no boots on the ground' US activity. Wait for the howls when the casualties start.

    Already Happened ‏@M3t4_tr0n 16m16 minutes ago


    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 pm

    IS captured 1/3 of Kirkuk in one day.



    Battle for Kirkuk - 21/10/2016 - 5th day of the Mosul offensive
    Mosul offensive has been stopped today. At dawn of October 21st IS fighters entered the Kurdish city of Kirkuk which is 150km away from Mosul, but invaders didn't come from Mosul, they came from Hawija pocket which is only 30 km from Kirkuk. Iraqi Army was so determined to take back Mosul that they left this pocket alone and launched an offensive to take back Mosul. Iraqis thought that IS fighters trapped in Hawija pocket have no offensive capabilities. As we can see they were very naive and ignorant.

    IS militiants entered the town of Kirkuk by sneaking to it among IDPs(Internally Displaced Persons). Some reports also indicate that these fighters could be Kurdish members of IS. That would explain the easiness of their entrance to Kirkuk. When IS fighters already entered the town they contacted with IS sleeping cells inside Kirkuk. After that they started to take control over southern neighbourhoods of the city and they met with only little resistance from Kurdish police.

    Friday is a day of prayer for Muslims, just like sunday for Christians. Meanwhile IS fighters where taking over southern neighborhoods of Kirkuk they also entered mosques and started to use people that were gathered there as human shields. They also started using mosques' speakers to call Kirkuk's habitants to join the army of the Caliphate.

    One IS unit was able to take control over Hotel Cihad in Komari neighborhood(you can find it on the map, look for a red dot in the north). This unit consisted of at least 50 fighters. Soon after taking control of the Hotel, invaders found themselves surrounded by Kurdish police. Kurds tried to storm the building. Fight lasted few hours, but police was unable to breach IS defences. Hotel Cihad still remains in the hands of IS fighters.

    By the noon IS fighters seized most of the districts of the southern Kirkuk. When this information reached Iraqi Army and Peshmerga forces in the Mosul countryside they decided to hold the Mosul offensive and send reinforcements to Kirkuk. After couple of hours the awaited reinforcements arrived in Kirkuk, however, they were unable to retake previously lost positions. Moreover, IS launched another attack in the southern part of Kirkuk.

    Hawija pocket

    VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 359
    Points : 379
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 25
    Location : Some redneck state in the US.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  VladimirSahin on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:42 pm

    It is beyond me how ISIS has so much power projection in Iraq and Syria.

    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3369
    Points : 3412
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:27 am

    VladimirSahin wrote:It is beyond me how ISIS has so much power projection in Iraq and Syria.
    Once you get hold of the concept that ISIS is the Sunni creation of the Saudi/US/Israeli/Turkish Governments, managed by large numbers of ex Saddam officers, tasked with the job of keeping the Shia out of northern Iraq/Syria, stopping Hezbollah's weapons supply and overthrowing Assad it all becomes clearer. This is an interesting view of what might be underway. Or might not.

    http://journal-neo.org/2016/10/20/mosul-offensive-reveals-larger-geopolitical-game-plan/

    zarib
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 25
    Points : 27
    Join date : 2016-01-29

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  zarib on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:28 am

    calm wrote:IS captured 1/3 of Kirkuk in one day.



    Battle for Kirkuk - 21/10/2016 - 5th day of the Mosul offensive
    Mosul offensive has been stopped today. At dawn of October 21st IS fighters entered the Kurdish city of Kirkuk which is 150km away from Mosul, but invaders didn't come from Mosul, they came from Hawija pocket which is only 30 km from Kirkuk. Iraqi Army was so determined to take back Mosul that they left this pocket alone and launched an offensive to take back Mosul. Iraqis thought that IS fighters trapped in Hawija pocket have no offensive capabilities. As we can see they were very naive and ignorant.

    IS militiants entered the town of Kirkuk by sneaking to it among IDPs(Internally Displaced Persons). Some reports also indicate that these fighters could be Kurdish members of IS. That would explain the easiness of their entrance to Kirkuk. When IS fighters already entered the town they contacted with IS sleeping cells inside Kirkuk. After that they started to take control over southern neighbourhoods of the city and they met with only little resistance from Kurdish police.

    Friday is a day of prayer for Muslims, just like sunday for Christians. Meanwhile IS fighters where taking over southern neighborhoods of Kirkuk they also entered mosques and started to use people that were gathered there as human shields. They also started using mosques' speakers to call Kirkuk's habitants to join the army of the Caliphate.

    One IS unit was able to take control over Hotel Cihad in Komari neighborhood(you can find it on the map, look for a red dot in the north). This unit consisted of at least 50 fighters. Soon after taking control of the Hotel, invaders found themselves surrounded by Kurdish police. Kurds tried to storm the building. Fight lasted few hours, but police was unable to breach IS defences. Hotel Cihad still remains in the hands of IS fighters.

    By the noon IS fighters seized most of the districts of the southern Kirkuk. When this information reached Iraqi Army and Peshmerga forces in the Mosul countryside they decided to hold the Mosul offensive and send reinforcements to Kirkuk. After couple of hours the awaited reinforcements arrived in Kirkuk, however, they were unable to retake previously lost positions. Moreover, IS launched another attack in the southern part of Kirkuk.

    Hawija pocket

    Not sure where you got your information from, but they did not capture any part of Kirkuk. It was one of their usual diversionary attacks to try to take Iraqi forces/resources/manpower away from the Mosul offensive. The Kurdish forces in Kirkuk were unprepared, so the terrorists were able to cause a lot of problems, but they certainly haven't taken military control of any area of Kirkuk. Some of them were killed, some blew themselves up, others are still holed up in buildings and surrounded. Even your map says "ISIS presence", not control. Kirkuk is still under control of Iraqi forces.

    More importantly, this did not have a major effect on the Mosul offensive. It does not look like the offensive was paused, since at least 6 new areas were liberated: Tal Taybah, AlBaydhah, AlShak, Tal Salman, Mishraq sulfur factory, AlNa'nanah, and probably other areas. Now, those were all done by IA, and federal police I think, so maybe this Kirkuk attack did have an effect on the Kurdish forces, but even then it's unlikely. These diversionary attacks would work better if the Iraqi forces were lacking reserve power, but it really doesn't look look like that, with the IA, ICTF, federal police, PMU, local police and Peshmerga all participating. We've seen them in the past carry out multiple operations and respond to ISIS threats in multiple areas at the same time, and this probably won't be different. There are more troops moving into Kirkuk to support, but they did not come from Mosul. For example, Turkmen units from the PMU have increased their presence in the city and are helping patrol the streets.

    That being said, Hawija definitely needs to be taken care of. As for sleeper cells, I'm not sure what can be done, but I guess realistically, it would have to be a more long term operation involving intelligence agencies etc.

    zarib
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 25
    Points : 27
    Join date : 2016-01-29

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  zarib on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:08 am

    Some nice pics from various places in the Mosul operation over the past few days


    ICTF before they moved to capture Bartella (pic is from 2 days ago I think)










    TOS1A from our Russian friends in the background














    Federal police




    M109


    Can't forget about the beast Mi-28NE

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3566
    Points : 3601
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:53 am

    JohninMK wrote:
    VladimirSahin wrote:It is beyond me how ISIS has so much power projection in Iraq and Syria.
    Once you get hold of the concept that ISIS is the Sunni creation of the Saudi/US/Israeli/Turkish Governments, managed by large numbers of ex Saddam officers, tasked with the job of keeping the Shia out of northern Iraq/Syria, stopping Hezbollah's weapons supply and overthrowing Assad it all becomes clearer. This is an interesting view of what might be underway. Or might not.

    http://journal-neo.org/2016/10/20/mosul-offensive-reveals-larger-geopolitical-game-plan/

    It's more complicated, the Naqshibandi cooperated openly with ISIS up to the point they started getting killed by ISIS. No one will shed a tear for those, but the cooperation was very short lived in reality, from early 2014 to early 2015. It's exactly the moment ISIS attacked Kobane and everyone started the ISIS campaign.

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:13 pm


    JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3369
    Points : 3412
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  JohninMK on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:28 pm

    New Peto map. If there are still lots of ISIS there its going to be a long and bloody haul.


    VladimirSahin
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 359
    Points : 379
    Join date : 2013-11-29
    Age : 25
    Location : Some redneck state in the US.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  VladimirSahin on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:26 am

    IED stuff are gonna mess up a lot of days.

    calm
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 454
    Points : 456
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  calm on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:34 am

    Rolling Eyes

    ISIS on the verge of capturing Ar-Rutbah city in surprise offensive
    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/isis-verge-capturing-ar-rutbah-city-surprise-offensive/

    More #ISIS footage from today's attack on Ar-Rutbah showing destroyed Ukrainian made BTR-4..

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3566
    Points : 3601
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 am

    calm wrote:Rolling Eyes

    ISIS on the verge of capturing Ar-Rutbah city in surprise offensive
    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/isis-verge-capturing-ar-rutbah-city-surprise-offensive/

    More #ISIS footage from today's attack on Ar-Rutbah showing destroyed Ukrainian made BTR-4..


    New Syrian Army didn't cut the I1 highway at Tanf? No, what a pity.

    zarib
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 25
    Points : 27
    Join date : 2016-01-29

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  zarib on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:16 am

    calm wrote:Rolling Eyes

    ISIS on the verge of capturing Ar-Rutbah city in surprise offensive
    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/isis-verge-capturing-ar-rutbah-city-surprise-offensive/

    More #ISIS footage from today's attack on Ar-Rutbah showing destroyed Ukrainian made BTR-4..

    It was another attempt at a counter attack or a diversionary attack. We've seen ISIS attempt this many times during previous offensives by the Iraqi forces. Can't remember the last time it actually worked.

    Again, this was unsuccessful. 4 suicide bombers were killed, 4 suicide bombers were captured, 3 SVBIEDs destroyed, and 2 technicals destroyed. There are some ISIS fighters still holed up in a few homes, and are surrounded.

    Reinforcements arrived pretty quickly. Rutbah was not even close to falling, so these headlines are really exaggerated.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3566
    Points : 3601
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 pm

    Sorry for the Iraqi brothers.

    Konkurs fired from ISIS makes Abrooms go postal.

    https://twitter.com/FPaidinfull/status/790604183355424768

    zarib
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 25
    Points : 27
    Join date : 2016-01-29

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  zarib on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:01 am



    The ICTF are just 6 Km east of Mosul as of today.

    The 16th Div are closing in on Hamam Al-Alil (30 Km south of Mosul) from the Qayyarah region. The Federal police and elements of the 9th Div are also closing in on Hamam Al-Alil, but from the south east.

    North of Mosul, elements of the 16th Div and 9th Div have captured Tal Kayf, 20 Km north of Mosul.

    The PMU leadership has tasked Asa'ib Ahl Alhaq in the retaking of Tal Afar. Hopefully that operation will start soon.


    KoTeMoRe wrote:Sorry for the Iraqi brothers.

    Konkurs fired from ISIS makes Abrooms go postal.

    https://twitter.com/FPaidinfull/status/790604183355424768

    The video was taken down. Was it the usual ammo cook-off? Or was the armor actually penetrated/tank killed?

    KiloGolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1213
    Points : 1231
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  KiloGolf on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:37 am

    zarib wrote:The video was taken down. Was it the usual ammo cook-off? Or was the armor actually penetrated/tank killed?

    here you go: VIDEO LINK

    Yeap, usual ammo cook-off. Nasty hit, useless crew.  Neutral

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3566
    Points : 3601
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 am

    zarib wrote:

    The ICTF are just 6 Km east of Mosul as of today.

    The 16th Div are closing in on Hamam Al-Alil (30 Km south of Mosul) from the Qayyarah region. The Federal police and elements of the 9th Div are also closing in on Hamam Al-Alil, but from the south east.

    North of Mosul, elements of the 16th Div and 9th Div have captured Tal Kayf, 20 Km north of Mosul.

    The PMU leadership has tasked Asa'ib Ahl Alhaq in the retaking of Tal Afar. Hopefully that operation will start soon.


    KoTeMoRe wrote:Sorry for the Iraqi brothers.

    Konkurs fired from ISIS makes Abrooms go postal.

    https://twitter.com/FPaidinfull/status/790604183355424768

    The video was taken down. Was it the usual ammo cook-off? Or was the armor actually penetrated/tank killed?

    I'm repeating this because I just don't want to sound like a turd. RIP to the crew if they were killed, let's hope for the blow-off panels to have worked. It's very sad to see this crap.

    It looked like ammo went off and the tank was toasting because one hatch was open. Also I will indicate casulaty numbers and will not put links, you can ask by PM or i will indicate the relevant source off hand.

    Again, sad for the Iraqis despite the clear indication that Konkurs sees to work very well. Not good when it hits an ally.

    Also there's half a dozen hits that IS has released against ISF. At least one other Abroomz and mainly MRAPs.

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4816
    Points : 4863
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  Militarov on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:43 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    zarib wrote:

    The ICTF are just 6 Km east of Mosul as of today.

    The 16th Div are closing in on Hamam Al-Alil (30 Km south of Mosul) from the Qayyarah region. The Federal police and elements of the 9th Div are also closing in on Hamam Al-Alil, but from the south east.

    North of Mosul, elements of the 16th Div and 9th Div have captured Tal Kayf, 20 Km north of Mosul.

    The PMU leadership has tasked Asa'ib Ahl Alhaq in the retaking of Tal Afar. Hopefully that operation will start soon.


    KoTeMoRe wrote:Sorry for the Iraqi brothers.

    Konkurs fired from ISIS makes Abrooms go postal.

    https://twitter.com/FPaidinfull/status/790604183355424768

    The video was taken down. Was it the usual ammo cook-off? Or was the armor actually penetrated/tank killed?

    I'm repeating this because I just don't want to sound like a turd. RIP to the crew if they were killed, let's hope for the blow-off panels to have worked. It's very sad to see this crap.

    It looked like ammo went off and the tank was toasting because one hatch was open. Also I will indicate casulaty numbers and will not put links, you can ask by PM or i will indicate the relevant source off hand.

    Again, sad for the Iraqis despite the clear indication that Konkurs sees to work very well. Not good when it hits an ally.

    Also there's half a dozen hits that IS has released against ISF. At least one other Abroomz and mainly MRAPs.

    Judging by photos i saw last 48h Iraqis are getting good beating by ATGMs.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3566
    Points : 3601
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:48 am

    Militarov wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    zarib wrote:

    The ICTF are just 6 Km east of Mosul as of today.

    The 16th Div are closing in on Hamam Al-Alil (30 Km south of Mosul) from the Qayyarah region. The Federal police and elements of the 9th Div are also closing in on Hamam Al-Alil, but from the south east.

    North of Mosul, elements of the 16th Div and 9th Div have captured Tal Kayf, 20 Km north of Mosul.

    The PMU leadership has tasked Asa'ib Ahl Alhaq in the retaking of Tal Afar. Hopefully that operation will start soon.


    KoTeMoRe wrote:Sorry for the Iraqi brothers.

    Konkurs fired from ISIS makes Abrooms go postal.

    https://twitter.com/FPaidinfull/status/790604183355424768

    The video was taken down. Was it the usual ammo cook-off? Or was the armor actually penetrated/tank killed?

    I'm repeating this because I just don't want to sound like a turd. RIP to the crew if they were killed, let's hope for the blow-off panels to have worked. It's very sad to see this crap.

    It looked like ammo went off and the tank was toasting because one hatch was open. Also I will indicate casulaty numbers and will not put links, you can ask by PM or i will indicate the relevant source off hand.

    Again, sad for the Iraqis despite the clear indication that Konkurs sees to work very well. Not good when it hits an ally.

    Also there's half a dozen hits that IS has released against ISF. At least one other Abroomz and mainly MRAPs.

    Judging by photos i saw last 48h Iraqis are getting good beating by ATGMs.

    Yeah but it is open range around Mosul. They knew it...It pains me to see that most of these are ATGM's taken from Syrian AF or Syrian Moderats.

    Sponsored content

    Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #2

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:48 pm


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:48 pm