Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    World Economic News and Discussion

    Share

    TR1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5840
    Points : 5892
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  TR1 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 am

    Yeah Oregon outside of the Willamette Valley and the Coast is pretty bad. If you think North-east is bad, you should see the desert areas in the South....Malheur county has like 10 people living in it.

    I've never taken the 97, I only use the 5 when I drive from Portland to the Bay. Isn't it much slower?

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  Mike E on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:18 am

    TR1 wrote:Yeah Oregon outside of the Willamette Valley and the Coast is pretty bad. If you think North-east is bad, you should see the desert areas in the South....Malheur county has like 10 people living in it.

    I've never taken the 97, I only use the 5 when I drive from Portland to the Bay. Isn't it much slower?
    I doubt Harney is much better.... That being said, you haven't seen crap until you've seen the north-west Humboldt County in Nevada. I stayed there for a couple of days at a campground and it was my closest time to death (ok, not really). Literally nobody lives there, look up Denio, Nevada, and you'll see what I mean. (I was at the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge, I *dare* you to look at the pictures off it! - Desert areas)

    5 is quicker to the Portland area, but I was going up to Spokane in north-east WA. 97 cuts off about a hundred miles that way, but it also cuts off a hundred days off of your life from observing the isolation. The nice thing about 97, is that there is no traffic unless there are semis (in which case you are screwed, I had to pass tens and tens if not hundreds of semis). That being said, most of the time we were cruising at 90+ so no complaints there...

    higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2245
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  higurashihougi on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 am

    Don't know about similar stuffs in U.S., but one of my friends went to Singapore and found that Samsung dominate the smartphone there. After a day of going here and there he bought a Huawei Cool

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  Mike E on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:00 am

    higurashihougi wrote:Don't know about similar stuffs in U.S., but one of my friends went to Singapore and found that Samsung dominate the smartphone there. After a day of going here and there he bought a Huawei Cool
    Samsung sells a lot of high-end devices here, but for the most part that market in owned by Apple thanks to their marketing and former reputation. Thankfully other companies are rising up here in the US, and I think that a lot of iPhone users are looking at Android despite the iP6's amazing sales here so far. Huawei devices are nice, but you'd never find one here... People here have convinced themselves that Chinese-designed devices will sell their information, despite their iPhones being built there...

    higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2245
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  higurashihougi on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 am

    Mike E wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Don't know about similar stuffs in U.S., but one of my friends went to Singapore and found that Samsung dominate the smartphone there. After a day of going here and there he bought a Huawei Cool
    Samsung sells a lot of high-end devices here, but for the most part that market in owned by Apple thanks to their marketing and former reputation. Thankfully other companies are rising up here in the US, and I think that a lot of iPhone users are looking at Android despite the iP6's amazing sales here so far. Huawei devices are nice, but you'd never find one here... People here have convinced themselves that Chinese-designed devices will sell their information, despite their iPhones being built there...

    Basically because China is a competitor of U.S. therefore there are people who are attempt to decrease the image of Chinese goods so that the U.S. can win in the competition.

    In order to win in such competition, sometimes people created a complete bullshit story to fool the public and that is quite successful because people can be easily drowned in a massive sea of information and disinformation.

    To be fair I have witnessed a great number of Chinese bad commodities, quite a large number of them. But thankfully these are mainly the smuggled goods, or goods with dubious origins. But the large number of Chinese low-quality goods is a fact.

    I don't care much about "selling information" because I am quite assure that 1) being a normal mediocre indiviual I do not have any valuable information for the China to get and 2) all kinds of goverment in this world has been watching their citizens for long long time.

    It is said that after Steve Jobs passed away, the designs of iPhone has lost something very important, something very Steve Jobs which used to make the legend of Apple and iPhone.

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  Mike E on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:42 am

    higurashihougi wrote:
    Mike E wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Don't know about similar stuffs in U.S., but one of my friends went to Singapore and found that Samsung dominate the smartphone there. After a day of going here and there he bought a Huawei Cool
    Samsung sells a lot of high-end devices here, but for the most part that market in owned by Apple thanks to their marketing and former reputation. Thankfully other companies are rising up here in the US, and I think that a lot of iPhone users are looking at Android despite the iP6's amazing sales here so far. Huawei devices are nice, but you'd never find one here... People here have convinced themselves that Chinese-designed devices will sell their information, despite their iPhones being built there...

    Basically because China is a competitor of U.S. therefore there are people who are attempt to decrease the image of Chinese goods so that the U.S. can win in the competition.

    In order to win in such competition, sometimes people created a complete bullshit story to fool the public and that is quite successful because people can be easily drowned in a massive sea of information and disinformation.

    To be fair I have witnessed a great number of Chinese bad commodities, quite a large number of them. But thankfully these are mainly the smuggled goods, or goods with dubious origins. But the large number of Chinese low-quality goods is a fact.

    I don't care much about "selling information" because I am quite assure that 1) being a normal mediocre indiviual I do not have any valuable information for the China to get and 2) all kinds of goverment in this world has been watching their citizens for long long time.

    It is said that after Steve Jobs passed away, the designs of iPhone has lost something very important, something very Steve Jobs which used to make the legend of Apple and iPhone.
    Not really (and yes really at the same time), it is just a bunch of idiots who fall for the click-bait articles that are full of lies, that and the "tension" between China and the US.



    More than a fact, they are abundant in many markets, including the auto one. That being said, products made by companies like Huawei and Xiaomi are high-quality and are by no means cheap knock-offs.

    True... I seriously doubt that they sell users information...

    Steve was over-rated, if anything, Apple's recent drop in product-quality is the result of Jony Ive being in control of their products.....

    higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2245
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  higurashihougi on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:21 am

    One person also has asked the author about what is the second depression in 1936-1939. And this is his answer:

    Look at this graph
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AGraph_charting_income_per_capita_throughout_the_Great_Depression.svg&h=RAQEbzzEd\

    The 1936-1939 is a second period of the economic depression in the West. Actually a great number of opinions do not consider that 1936-1939 is the second depression. But according to the analyzing of Germany and the USSR, 1936-1939 is exactly a second economic depression. The name is "double depression". That is the reason why Western people see the term of "double depression" as a nightmare.

    Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2789
    Points : 2853
    Join date : 2014-06-19
    Location : Bay Area, CA

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  Mike E on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:16 am

    I wouldn't call that a second depression, it was a small negative "blip" in the long-term positive results. A recession it was, but not a depression... Heck, it was probably (I only know crap about the "first" great depression) due to the first one, in which case it isn't an independent depression anyways...

    type055
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 110
    Join date : 2014-09-03

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  type055 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:18 am

    where do u get this article,could u give a link? Cool Cool

    higurashihougi
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2130
    Points : 2245
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  higurashihougi on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:29 pm

    type055 wrote:where do u get this article,could u give a link? Cool Cool

    Okay but can you read Vietnamese ?

    https://www.facebook.com/HuyPhuc1981NB/posts/1516157588631618

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    World Economic News/Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 pm

    I figured there should be just one thread for news and such regarding this. I will use this main page as a index of some sort of important news and links to various sites worth watching.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:37 pm

    This Is How The IMF Just Lost Its Last Shred Of Credibility
    How The Market Reacts To Greek "News"

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:40 pm

    What FIFA Can Teach Us About Overpriced (And Overhyped) Stocks
    FIFA headquarters seem more like a nuclear bunker than a swanky executive facility – or perhaps they are both.

    They take up 11 acres on the Zürichberg, cost 240 million Swiss francs, and of the building’s eight floors, five of them are underground.

    They incorporate a fitness centre, a meditation room and a full size football (soccer) pitch.

    Bloomberg Business reports that cell phones are rendered inoperative by the black, Brazilian granite in the bowels of the building, and that executive committee meetings are held on the third subterranean level, in a conference room that has a floor of lapis lazuli.

    Buildings make a statement about their owners. FIFA-Hauptquartier seems to be saying: our owners have a boatload of cash.

    When the building was inaugurated, high winds and driving rain forced the anticipated flag ceremony indoors.

    But that didn’t faze Obergruppenführer Sepp Blatter (for the avoidance of any doubt, we are not suggesting that Sepp Blatter is or has ever been a Nazi paramilitary, although The Guardian has called him “the most successful non-homicidal dictator of the past century”), who opined artfully that

    “The sky is touched with tears but we can live with that because football also has to live in all weather conditions and rain is a gift from heaven.”
    Grand High Ming Blatter, who has been compared by the president of Dominican Republic soccer, to Jesus Christ, Nelson Mandela and Winston Churchill, also observed of his headquarters’ vast glass frontage that it

    “would allow light to shine through the building and create the transparency we all stand for.”
    Well, quite. Apart from in those five underground levels where you can’t receive a mobile phone signal, and where FIFA’s legal department requires that visitors sign nondisclosure agreements for routine meetings.

    Or even more ‘transparent’, FIFA’s head of finance Markus Kattner told Bloomberg that they wouldn’t disclose how they spent $397 million in personnel expenses, or what Mr. Blatter’s salary is: “We have hidden it so you cannot find it.”

    And if FIFA had shareholders, it is likely they would be somewhat less impressed by the gaudy awfulness and conspicuous consumptiveness of it all.

    Read more at Zerohedge.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:29 pm

    Iran looks into 5-6 routes to deliver gas to EU after sanctions are lifted - gas company NIGC
    Tehran is considering several gas delivery routes to Europe after Western sanctions on the country are lifted.

    “Iran is considering several routes to deliver gas to Europe, possibly around five or six routes,” Azizollah Ramezani, head of the National Iranian Gas Company’s liaison office told RIA Novosti news agency on Wednesday.

    There is the idea that Iran may join Turkstream to get some of its assets into Europe. So there may be negotiations in the future between Iran, Turkey and Russia.

    KoTeMoRe
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 3599
    Points : 3634
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 am

    sepheronx wrote:Iran looks into 5-6 routes to deliver gas to EU after sanctions are lifted - gas company NIGC
    Tehran is considering several gas delivery routes to Europe after Western sanctions on the country are lifted.

    “Iran is considering several routes to deliver gas to Europe, possibly around five or six routes,” Azizollah Ramezani, head of the National Iranian Gas Company’s liaison office told RIA Novosti news agency on Wednesday.

    There is the idea that Iran may join Turkstream to get some of its assets into Europe.  So there may be negotiations in the future between Iran, Turkey and Russia.
    That's non-sense, Iran has already a captive market in the East, why would it risk the same kind of BS like Russia by selling its gas to the very people that want to choke it? Unless it is a cartel swap, Russia takes some Iranian shares towards the East and Iran recoups Russian shares in Europe...the second option will have big issues with the current crop of thieves in Europe and the US.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:54 am

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Iran looks into 5-6 routes to deliver gas to EU after sanctions are lifted - gas company NIGC
    Tehran is considering several gas delivery routes to Europe after Western sanctions on the country are lifted.

    “Iran is considering several routes to deliver gas to Europe, possibly around five or six routes,” Azizollah Ramezani, head of the National Iranian Gas Company’s liaison office told RIA Novosti news agency on Wednesday.

    There is the idea that Iran may join Turkstream to get some of its assets into Europe.  So there may be negotiations in the future between Iran, Turkey and Russia.
    That's non-sense, Iran has already a captive market in the East, why would it risk the same kind of BS like Russia by selling its gas to the very people that want to choke it? Unless it is a cartel swap, Russia takes some Iranian shares towards the East and Iran recoups Russian shares in Europe...the second option will have big issues with the current crop of thieves in Europe and the US.

    Well, India is one of Irans largest consumers of oil/gas and Russia is looking to build a pipeline to India, as well, Russia acts as a medium between India and Iran for sales of oil/gas, so my guess is it will be a cartel swap of some sort.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15490
    Points : 16197
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  GarryB on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:32 am

    The Guardian has called him “the most successful non-homicidal dictator of the past century”)

    evidence... the guardian... a mouthpiece of the west, only calls elected officials dictators when they don't control them... the problem with FIFA is that the block we call the west is a minority and the non western countries are not interested in towing the western line... so an elected leader that does not bow down to western BS... like Blatter, like Chavez, like Putin, etc etc are called dictators even when they are elected into office...

    Now that the west has gotten its way the FIFA world cups will be held in western europe and the US and no where else.... and the game will stagnate... and the English still wont win a world cup.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:39 am

    11 Signs That America Has Already Gone Down The Toilet
    Just when you think that the depravity of the United States cannot possibly get any worse, something else comes along to surprise us. Many of the things that you are about to read about in this article are incredibly disturbing, but it is important that we face the truth about how far this nation has fallen. There are times when I will be having a conversation with someone else about the state of our country, and the other person will say something like this: “Wow – America is really going down the toilet.” At one time, I would have totally agreed with that. But at this point I would have to say that we have already circled the bowl and have made it all the way through to the other end. Our society is absolutely addicted to entertainment (most of which is utter trash), tens of millions of us are hooked on drugs (both legal and illegal), and we have murdered more than 56 million of our own babies. Our financial system is consumed with greed, we treat our military veterans like human garbage, and most of our “leaders” in Washington D.C. are deeply corrupt. In America today, 64 percent of all men view pornography at least once per month, it is estimated that one out of every four girls is sexually abused before they become adults, and we have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the entire industrialized world. We like to think that we are an “example” to the rest of the world, but the only example that we are setting is a bad one. The following are 11 signs that America has already gone down the toilet…

    Americans Are Fleeing These US Cities In Droves
    What do El Paso, New York, and Chicago have in common? They are among the top 20 cities from which Americans are fleeing in droves...

    The map below shows the 20 metropolitan areas that lost the greatest share of local people to other parts of the country between July 2013 and July 2014, according to a Bloomberg News analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data. The New York City area ranked 2nd, losing about a net 163,000 U.S. residents, closely followed by a couple surrounding suburbs in Connecticut. Honolulu ranked fourth and Los Angeles ranked 14th. The Bloomberg calculations looked at the 100 most populous U.S. metropolitan areas.

    Greek Lawmakers Clear The Way For Formal Bailout Discussions
    Update: 36 Syriza lawmakers did not support the bill.

    As expected, the Greek parliament has approved a second set of prior measures, clearing the way for formal discussions on a third bailout program for the debt-stricken country.

    As Bloomberg notes, "several lawmakers of governing Syriza party, including Parliament Speaker Zoi Konstantopoulou, former deputy Finance Minister Nadia Valavani didn’t support bill."

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:41 am

    China's Record Dumping Of US Treasuries Leaves Goldman Speechless
    On Friday, alongside China's announcement that it had bought over 600 tons of gold in "one month", the PBOC released another very important data point: its total foreign exchange reserves, which declined by $17.3 billion to $3,694 billion.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:53 am

    Kazakhstan president asks national exporters for currency

    Big news for Kazakhstan
    Kazakhstan moves to a free float tenge — premier

    What essentially happened was Kazakhstan's Tenge was considered over valued and due to Russia's rouble being tied to oil, and devalued, caused a stir in various companies; particularly Kazakhstan's largest metallurgy company was apparently losing huge market due to large imports of cheaper steel from Russia.  So the cheaper Tenge will mean that Kazakhstan's economy will be far more competitive in the EEU and China.  So in theory, it would mean even cheaper foods and products coming from Kazakhstan to Russia.

    Various experts are worried that this will in turn flood Russia with cheaper Kazakhstani goods and then reassure that due to trade turnover between the two countries is low, so not to threat. But I am on the opposite side of this. I think this will drastically increase trade turnover between the two countries and while the Tenge's devaluation would mean it is more expensive for Russian goods, overall, the currencies change are not that huge, thus still far cheaper to buy Russian goods in Kazakhstan. In turn, it would also mean that Kazakhstan's goods would also be cheaper and could help in Russia's growth for consumption.

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:10 pm

    "They Just Don't Want A Job" - The Fed's Grotesque "Explanation" Why 94.6 Million Are Out Of The Labor Force

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 pm

    Even Credit Suisse believes multi-polarity is inevitable:

    Credit Suisse – Is globalization coming to an end? New research signals a possible shift away from globalization to a multi-polar world

    The Credit Suisse Research Institute today released its “The End of Globalization or a More Multipolar World” report, presenting three scenarios: ‘globalization thrives,’ ‘a multipolar world emerges at economic, political and social levels’ and, more dramatically, ‘globalization comes to an end.’ The research signals a possible shift away from globalization to a multi-polar world.

    https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/about-us/media/news/articles/media-releases/2015/09/en/credit-suisse-is-globalization-coming-to-an-end.html

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:42 am

    Why The US Running Out Of Cash In 4 Weeks Is Good News

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 am

    Looks like the French are in trouble again:
    http://ria.ru/world/20151020/1304906807.html

    The French bank will pay a heavy fine for the violation of US sanctions

    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7302
    Points : 7612
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  sepheronx on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:02 am

    This hits closer to home, and KVS should read this, and any other Canadians here:
    "Jingle Mail" Makes Comeback In Canada As Underwater Borrowers Mail Keys Back To Banks

    Sponsored content

    Re: World Economic News and Discussion

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:18 pm


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:18 pm