Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Recommended Military/War Books-Publications

d_taddei2

Re: Recommended Military/War Books-Publications

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks garryb but have you seen the price. I use to have a lot of soviet army books and uniforms, helmets and bayonets. The uniforms all sold and books given away to charity shops had to get rid of everything for my mission in Africa. I even had a deactivated 120mm HESH round for a challenger 2 tank which was bloody heavy. All I have left now is deactivated mosin nagant 1938, tokarev TT30 1948, SKS 1953, even sold my trabant p601 but I know that I will get another once I finish in Africa.
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 pm

ScotchedEarth

Post  ScotchedEarth on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Regarding Polovinkin’s book, depending on how much they charge for postage, you might get it marginally cheaper direct from Ruslania. (You’ll have to ‘goolag’ it as I’m not allowed to post URLs.)

(d_taddei2, you mention your deactivated Mosin-Nagant—are you aware that bolt-action rifles are still legal in Britain? You might already be a Firearms Certificate holder for all I know, but it is quite a common misconception that all guns are banned—while we no longer conform to the intent of our 1689 Bill of Rights (‘That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law’; for Scotland, Claim of Right 1689: ‘That the Dissarming of protestants … are Contrary to Law’), you can still obtain bolt-actions, if you’re prepared to jump through a few hoops. You can even legally own a fancy .50 cal. sniper’s job: see the website of the Fifty Calibre Shooters Association UK.)

Some here might be interested in a novel, Twilight’s Last Gleaming, by John Michael Greer (2015), about the demise of the USA. Recommended by the Saker website, whose opinion might weigh with some. Readable book (my opinion as someone who enjoy[s/ed/ing] C.S. Forester’s Hornblower tales, Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin series, and Bernard Cornwell’s novels). I would be interested in knowledgeable others’ input about the plausibility of some of the plot points.

Greer is optimistic with his costs for the F-35: “[H]ow much did we spend for this plane?” “Just over $350 billion for the whole program.” (p.271) GAO (USG Accountability Office) as of August 2017 now estimate final cost in excess of $400 bn (not taking into account the DoD’s estimate of costs ‘over the 50-year life of the program … at least $1.4 trillion’ (PoGO, The Defense Monitor, Jan–May, 2017)).

I’ve read that US military exercises are often ‘gamed’ to ensure the ‘right’ side and ‘right’ tactics win. And Lt Col James G. Burton’s 1993 The Pentagon Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard (another recommended book) shows how corrupt USG’s procurement and development process is. It is near certain that if the US/West finds itself at war with a peer power—where it can’t enjoy its advantage of overwhelming firepower and superior technology—it’s going to suffer a shock, even without the various ‘deus ex machina’ used in Greer’s novel. Not necessarily a ‘losing the war’ shock—who can foresee?—but certainly a 9/11-type shock, i.e. a shedload of casualties in a brief period rather than dribbled over a decade or more-long war as currently and hitherto.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Actually that is rather cheap compared to what we have to pay for books here in New Zealand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/5990655312/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

At $110 dollars US that is about as much as I paid for that Soviet Afghan camo book I mentioned above... (looks like it is coming from Finland).

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22449641700&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26an%3Dpolovinkin

All I have left now is deactivated mosin nagant 1938, tokarev TT30 1948, SKS 1953, even sold my trabant p601 but I know that I will get another once I finish in Africa.

Interesting. I have a Mosin 1938 carbine... it is a short handy little rifle with plenty of punch. I had an SKS, but my Tokarev is a BB gun... Smile

I have about half a dozen other Mosin rifles and carbines as well as an SLR and a chinese AK and a chinese M4.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 am

ScotchedEarth wrote:Regarding Polovinkin’s book, depending on how much they charge for postage, you might get it marginally cheaper direct from Ruslania. (You’ll have to ‘goolag’ it as I’m not allowed to post URLs.)

(d_taddei2, you mention your deactivated Mosin-Nagant—are you aware that bolt-action rifles are still legal in Britain? You might already be a Firearms Certificate holder for all I know, but it is quite a common misconception that all guns are banned—while we no longer conform to the intent of our 1689 Bill of Rights (‘That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law’; for Scotland, Claim of Right 1689: ‘That the Dissarming of protestants … are Contrary to Law’), you can still obtain bolt-actions, if you’re prepared to jump through a few hoops. You can even legally own a fancy .50 cal. sniper’s job: see the website of the Fifty Calibre Shooters Association UK.)

I don't have a fire arms certificate but was in the army and have fired all kinds of weapons in various countries including in an underground bunker in Riga Latvia. Even fired RPG -2 although it turned out to be faulty causing me to sustain a shrapnel wound which is still in me to this day see my youtube channel dtads.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:52 am

GarryB wrote:Actually that is rather cheap compared to what we have to pay for books here in New Zealand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/5990655312/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

At $110 dollars US that is about as much as I paid for that Soviet Afghan camo book I mentioned above... (looks like it is coming from Finland).

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22449641700&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26an%3Dpolovinkin

All I have left now is deactivated mosin nagant 1938, tokarev TT30 1948, SKS 1953, even sold my trabant p601 but I know that I will get another once I finish in Africa.

Interesting. I have a Mosin 1938 carbine... it is a short handy little rifle with plenty of punch. I had an SKS, but my Tokarev is a BB gun... Smile

I have about half a dozen other Mosin rifles and carbines as well as an SLR and a chinese AK and a chinese M4.

Yeah but not fully knowing what the book actually contains puts me off such a price

Nice collection I fire a Mosin-Nagant carbine in Ukraine a few years back your right it does pack a punch but the Dragunov had one hell of kick when I fired that on the same day. Also fired AK-74, M4, and some ukrainian semi auto pistol called fort 12. Also fired PK, M60, M30, M79 grenade launcher, Glock, uzi, makarov,  Tokarev including one that was used in liberation of Berlin so a soviet officer stated they were equivalent of Lt. Col they were given it as a gift (they weren't involved in WW2 but were in soviet army in till its collapse) and didnt really want me to fire it but after much persuading they gave in but only one mag full of rounds. I have pics on my FB if interested
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:30 pm

From the synopsis on the Amazon and other pages it seems to be an evaluation of Russian weapons systems in the Syrian theatre... which to me seems to be a rather interesting read... I might buy it myself...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    George1

Post  George1 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:37 am