Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+25
Odin of Ossetia
Djabberwocky
Cifu
ScotchedEarth
d_taddei2
sepheronx
mack8
Rodinazombie
franco
victor1985
Godric
George1
jhelb
Stealthflanker
flamming_python
Sujoy
Cyberspec
SOC
Werewolf
KomissarBojanchev
collegeboy16
Austin
GarryB
IronsightSniper
nightcrawler
29 posters

Military/War Books-Publications

franco
    franco

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty Re: Military/War Books-Publications

Post  franco Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:33 pm

George1 wrote:«Brothers Armed»

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 2419876_original

Did you read that book? Tried to order the original when it came out, but got a run around by the publisher so gave up.
    George1
    George1

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty Re: Military/War Books-Publications

Post  George1 Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:38 pm

franco wrote:
    Did you read that book? Tried to order the original when it came out, but got a run around by the publisher so gave up.

no i just found it and posted it here
    Rodinazombie

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty The Russia Defence Book Club

Post  Rodinazombie Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Im an avid reader, as im sure a lot of you guys are, so feel free to share any recommendations or tell us what you are reading now.

Im currently reading about kublai khan, the grandson of genghis khan who inherited the largest empire in history and doubled it.

Genghis khan and the mongol empire is one of my biggest interests, id love to head out there oneday.

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Image13
    mack8
    mack8

Post  mack8 Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Dragon's Wings by Andreas Rupprecht. Book about known chinese built and unbuilt aircraft. All i can say is what a monumental, stupid, grievous, crippling mistake the sino-soviet split was for China, and for USSR as well (along with the "great leap forward" and the "cultural revolution"). China lost 20-25 years of potential technological know-how and advancement.

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 1375431060_5
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Book Review

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1557628.html
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:56 pm

BROTHERS ARMED 2nd edition

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 2633660_800

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty Zerohedge - How Hitler Came to Power

Post  sepheronx Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:28 am

Guest Post: How Hitler Came To Power
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:53 pm

does anyone know where you can get a copy of this?

http://tass.com/defense/887510

The STATUS Company has published a book titled “Russian Weapons in Syrian Conflict”. The book’s editor, Prof. Valery Polovinkin, PhD, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation,
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:45 am

Syria book here:

https://translate.yandex.by/web?url=http://vpk.name/news/165838_minoboronyi_zakazalo_snaiperskuyu_minipushku.html

Book on top row centre is about Syria...
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty reply

Post  d_taddei2 Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:05 pm

GarryB wrote:Syria book here:

https://translate.yandex.by/web?url=http://vpk.name/news/165838_minoboronyi_zakazalo_snaiperskuyu_minipushku.html

Book on top row centre is about Syria...

thanks for the info, but its not the book i was looking for Russian Weapons in Syrian Conflict”. The book’s editor, Prof. Valery Polovinkin, the book you suggest is about Russian air force by different author. but thanks anyway will give it a quick read.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 am

Just got a book by a Russian author on kit and uniforms from the Afghan war in the Soviet period.

It is called:

Soviet and Mujahideen Uniforms, Clothing, and Equipment in the Soviet-Afghan War, 1979-1989
    By Zammis Schein

Being published in the US I expected propaganda crap about how bad the Soviets were etc etc...

But this book is 90% photos of gear from the Authors own collection.

During the 1980s he taught Afghan girls to speak english and collected all sorts of items.

The book does not include weapons, only kit and clothing, though it does include ammo.

I thumbed through it from cover to cover and found it all rather interesting.

It is a hard cover book of good quality that is a good addition to my library.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:27 am

Here is that Syria book:

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Weapons-Syrian-Conflict-Polovinkin/dp/5990655312

d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:28 am

GarryB wrote:Here is that Syria book:

https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Weapons-Syrian-Conflict-Polovinkin/dp/5990655312

Thanks garryb but have you seen the price. I use to have a lot of soviet army books and uniforms, helmets and bayonets. The uniforms all sold and books given away to charity shops had to get rid of everything for my mission in Africa. I even had a deactivated 120mm HESH round for a challenger 2 tank which was bloody heavy. All I have left now is deactivated mosin nagant 1938, tokarev TT30 1948, SKS 1953, even sold my trabant p601 but I know that I will get another once I finish in Africa.
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:25 am

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 4568100_original

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2796467.html

ScotchedEarth
    ScotchedEarth

Post  ScotchedEarth Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Regarding Polovinkin’s book, depending on how much they charge for postage, you might get it marginally cheaper direct from Ruslania. (You’ll have to ‘goolag’ it as I’m not allowed to post URLs.)

(d_taddei2, you mention your deactivated Mosin-Nagant—are you aware that bolt-action rifles are still legal in Britain? You might already be a Firearms Certificate holder for all I know, but it is quite a common misconception that all guns are banned—while we no longer conform to the intent of our 1689 Bill of Rights (‘That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law’; for Scotland, Claim of Right 1689: ‘That the Dissarming of protestants … are Contrary to Law’), you can still obtain bolt-actions, if you’re prepared to jump through a few hoops. You can even legally own a fancy .50 cal. sniper’s job: see the website of the Fifty Calibre Shooters Association UK.)

Some here might be interested in a novel, Twilight’s Last Gleaming, by John Michael Greer (2015), about the demise of the USA. Recommended by the Saker website, whose opinion might weigh with some. Readable book (my opinion as someone who enjoy[s/ed/ing] C.S. Forester’s Hornblower tales, Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin series, and Bernard Cornwell’s novels). I would be interested in knowledgeable others’ input about the plausibility of some of the plot points.

Greer is optimistic with his costs for the F-35: “[H]ow much did we spend for this plane?” “Just over $350 billion for the whole program.” (p.271) GAO (USG Accountability Office) as of August 2017 now estimate final cost in excess of $400 bn (not taking into account the DoD’s estimate of costs ‘over the 50-year life of the program … at least $1.4 trillion’ (PoGO, The Defense Monitor, Jan–May, 2017)).

I’ve read that US military exercises are often ‘gamed’ to ensure the ‘right’ side and ‘right’ tactics win. And Lt Col James G. Burton’s 1993 The Pentagon Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard (another recommended book) shows how corrupt USG’s procurement and development process is. It is near certain that if the US/West finds itself at war with a peer power—where it can’t enjoy its advantage of overwhelming firepower and superior technology—it’s going to suffer a shock, even without the various ‘deus ex machina’ used in Greer’s novel. Not necessarily a ‘losing the war’ shock—who can foresee?—but certainly a 9/11-type shock, i.e. a shedload of casualties in a brief period rather than dribbled over a decade or more-long war as currently and hitherto.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:32 am

Actually that is rather cheap compared to what we have to pay for books here in New Zealand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/5990655312/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

At $110 dollars US that is about as much as I paid for that Soviet Afghan camo book I mentioned above... (looks like it is coming from Finland).

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22449641700&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26an%3Dpolovinkin

All I have left now is deactivated mosin nagant 1938, tokarev TT30 1948, SKS 1953, even sold my trabant p601 but I know that I will get another once I finish in Africa.

Interesting. I have a Mosin 1938 carbine... it is a short handy little rifle with plenty of punch. I had an SKS, but my Tokarev is a BB gun... Smile

I have about half a dozen other Mosin rifles and carbines as well as an SLR and a chinese AK and a chinese M4.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 pm

ScotchedEarth wrote:Regarding Polovinkin’s book, depending on how much they charge for postage, you might get it marginally cheaper direct from Ruslania. (You’ll have to ‘goolag’ it as I’m not allowed to post URLs.)

(d_taddei2, you mention your deactivated Mosin-Nagant—are you aware that bolt-action rifles are still legal in Britain? You might already be a Firearms Certificate holder for all I know, but it is quite a common misconception that all guns are banned—while we no longer conform to the intent of our 1689 Bill of Rights (‘That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law’; for Scotland, Claim of Right 1689: ‘That the Dissarming of protestants … are Contrary to Law’), you can still obtain bolt-actions, if you’re prepared to jump through a few hoops. You can even legally own a fancy .50 cal. sniper’s job: see the website of the Fifty Calibre Shooters Association UK.)

I don't have a fire arms certificate but was in the army and have fired all kinds of weapons in various countries including in an underground bunker in Riga Latvia. Even fired RPG -2 although it turned out to be faulty causing me to sustain a shrapnel wound which is still in me to this day see my youtube channel dtads.
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:52 pm

GarryB wrote:Actually that is rather cheap compared to what we have to pay for books here in New Zealand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/5990655312/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

At $110 dollars US that is about as much as I paid for that Soviet Afghan camo book I mentioned above... (looks like it is coming from Finland).

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22449641700&searchurl=sortby%3D17%26an%3Dpolovinkin

All I have left now is deactivated mosin nagant 1938, tokarev TT30 1948, SKS 1953, even sold my trabant p601 but I know that I will get another once I finish in Africa.

Interesting. I have a Mosin 1938 carbine... it is a short handy little rifle with plenty of punch. I had an SKS, but my Tokarev is a BB gun... Smile

I have about half a dozen other Mosin rifles and carbines as well as an SLR and a chinese AK and a chinese M4.

Yeah but not fully knowing what the book actually contains puts me off such a price

Nice collection I fire a Mosin-Nagant carbine in Ukraine a few years back your right it does pack a punch but the Dragunov had one hell of kick when I fired that on the same day. Also fired AK-74, M4, and some ukrainian semi auto pistol called fort 12. Also fired PK, M60, M30, M79 grenade launcher, Glock, uzi, makarov,  Tokarev including one that was used in liberation of Berlin so a soviet officer stated they were equivalent of Lt. Col they were given it as a gift (they weren't involved in WW2 but were in soviet army in till its collapse) and didnt really want me to fire it but after much persuading they gave in but only one mag full of rounds. I have pics on my FB if interested
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:30 am

From the synopsis on the Amazon and other pages it seems to be an evaluation of Russian weapons systems in the Syrian theatre... which to me seems to be a rather interesting read... I might buy it myself...
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:38 am

"Russian New Generation Warfare Handbook"
    Cifu
    Cifu

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty Air defense systems and methods booklets by Molnibalage

Post  Cifu Sat May 19, 2018 6:07 am

Molnibalage make several really good booklets about the air defense systems, here I try to cover them all:

S-25
    S-75 family
    S-200 family
    S-300 family
    IADS / GCI systems of the Cold War
    Nike family and BOMARC
    HAWK
    Patriot
    Air defense at the XXI. century

New booklets:

S-125 vs. F-117

Download directory

Download Directory @ Mediafire

This is the translation of the long Hungarian book what Molnibalage made in cooperation with other guys for ex. with Hpaps, he is well known for the SamSim.
    This is the whole, in Hungarian:
    click here

Because these chapters (booklets) just a part of a big book are some parts in the document which refer to content of the book in other chapters. Slowly the whole book will be translated, but it could take years to finish it.

Have a good reading!  Wink

Last edited by Cifu on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : new booklets released)
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:30 am

Can anyone suggest a book (or books) for

1. Soviet Military during Cold war (deployments in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in Third world)
    2. Soviet war in Afghanistan
    jhelb
    jhelb

Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

Post  jhelb Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am

George1 wrote:Can anyone suggest a book (or books) for

1. Soviet Military during Cold war (deployments in Eastern Europe and elsewhere in Third world)

If you can read Russian you may choose to read

Афганский дневник - A Soviet paratrooper writes about his experience serving in Afghanistan

http://militera.lib.ru/1/cats/wars/20/1979-1989.html

The only English book that I've read related to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan is a book titled The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan

George1
    George1

Post  George1 Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am

jhelb wrote:
    George1 wrote:Can anyone suggest a book (or books) for

If you can read Russian you may choose to read

Афганский дневник - A Soviet paratrooper writes about his experience serving in Afghanistan

http://militera.lib.ru/1/cats/wars/20/1979-1989.html

The only English book that I've read related to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan is a book titled The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan

thanks friend!
    Djabberwocky

Military/War Books-Publications - Page 3 Empty Book "Defense enterprises of the USSR and Russia"

Post  Djabberwocky Tue May 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Dear Colleagues!
    A book is being distributed (digital copy) "Defense enterprises of the USSR and Russia" (Moscow: TOM, 2010)
    Specifications: 300 dpi output resolution, conversion to pdf-format.
    Download link https://yadi.sk/d/so_ZosdYBB_5gw
    If there are any problems with the download, please email me at RAFAirBook@yandex.ru I can put the book on another resource.
    Book in Russian!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm