Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Questions and Ideas

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: Questions and Ideas

Post  sepheronx on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:19 am

You may notice that your computer may get heavily bogged down due to the massive amount of videos/images posted. Sometimes it may overload the server or sometimes it may just be your computer having trouble to pick up all packets of data. Other may be due to where the images are hosted.

The threads that post such stuff really bring my computer to its knees and a 6 core processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 60mb/s connection really shouldn't be a problem. But still this site finds a way.

Arctic_Fox
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Arctic_Fox on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:29 am

sepheronx wrote:You may notice that your computer may get heavily bogged down due to the massive amount of videos/images posted.  Sometimes it may overload the server or sometimes it may just be your computer having trouble to pick up all packets of data.  Other may be due to where the images are hosted.

The threads that post such stuff really bring my computer to its knees and a 6 core processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 60mb/s connection really shouldn't be a problem.  But still this site finds a way.

I think this happens when the picture comes from Russian sites

here's some examples:

Chrome:

Explorer:

sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  sepheronx on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:03 am

Could very well be. It should be mandatory on the forums that hotlinking should be a no no (I think it already is) and using sites like imgur may be far more appropriate as a source of hosting images.

Also, I avoid using chrome. You should try using Yandex Browser or Firefox.

Arctic_Fox
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

Post  Arctic_Fox on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:03 am

sepheronx wrote:Could very well be.  It should be mandatory on the forums that hotlinking should be a no no (I think it already is) and using sites like imgur may be far more appropriate as a source of hosting images.

Also, I avoid using chrome.  You should try using Yandex Browser or Firefox.

Thanks @sepheronx, i'll try it

max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  max steel on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:53 am

Chrome works fine on mine.

victor1985
    Major
    Major

is this possible?

Post  victor1985 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:57 am

yesterday i had this idea about a compression method in computer science.
    is like this. lets say we assign to the whole ASCII code a number each 3 digits. every ASCII character and symbol would have it's own number.
    then we take something for example a game. we take all the characters and symbols of the game from it's source code and we give each the number from what i've said above. we then create a number raised at a power wich give when calculate a long long row of numbers exacly like all the numbers in the row of the game code. when we will extract the game all to do is calculate the number raised at the power then each 3 digits in the result would be the corresponding character or symbol. thus if i'm not wrong a whole game of 3 GB let's say can be compressed into few bits.
    can work?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:04 am

So you are suggesting assigning a number code to a number code?

Ascii is a numeric code to represent a letter or character already... ie 0 to 255

It is an 8bit representation system... 8bit being 2 to the power of 8, or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2=256 which equals the numbers from 0 to 255.

The advent of non european users of computers have made ASCII totally obsolete so Unicode is used instead... the current UTF-32 uses 32 bit encoding... so instead of 256 combinations you can have just under 4.3 billion possible characters... so it can include the letters in pretty much any or all languages...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

victor1985
    Major
    Major

Post  victor1985 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:57 am

well sort of....add the fact that the entire compressed file is sent as a single ( or couple) number(s) raised at a power ....
    there was a explanation that i received from someone that that is not possible because prime numbers are rarely.
    how that comes?
    point is also that on your own pc you dont need all the languages. you can have the native language and english or something else for international speak

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:46 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 am