Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Share
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3090
    Points : 3122
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  franco on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:51 am

    rambo54 wrote:
    franco wrote:
    rambo54 wrote:regarding the deployment of new Kilos in the Black Sea / Novorossisk: do they belong to the 247th or 4th separate submarine Divison?
    Thanks

    My understanding is the 4th separate Submarine Brigade in Novorossisk. The 247th detached Submarine Division was the old unit of 877's in Sevastopol.

    Thanks old buddy!
    But what is with Alrosa? Is it still part of the 4th stationed as a lonesome boat in Sevastopol? And what is with the single Foxtrot and Romeo mod over there - are they also part of 4th?
    Thanks

    My understanding is that the Alrosa is in the dry-dock while those old two are not active but are still sitting at the naval yard in Sevastopol. Would expect the Alrosa to join the 4th when work is done.

    rambo54

    Posts : 162
    Points : 164
    Join date : 2014-04-01

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  rambo54 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm

    franco wrote:
    rambo54 wrote:
    franco wrote:
    rambo54 wrote:regarding the deployment of new Kilos in the Black Sea / Novorossisk: do they belong to the 247th or 4th separate submarine Divison?
    Thanks

    My understanding is the 4th separate Submarine Brigade in Novorossisk. The 247th detached Submarine Division was the old unit of 877's in Sevastopol.

    Thanks old buddy!
    But what is with Alrosa? Is it still part of the 4th stationed as a lonesome boat in Sevastopol? And what is with the single Foxtrot and Romeo mod over there - are they also part of 4th?
    Thanks

    My understanding is that the Alrosa is in the dry-dock while those old two are not active but are still sitting at the naval yard in Sevastopol. Would expect the Alrosa to join the 4th when work is done.

    They have dumped it here 44.612831° 33.556905° (as of July 2017) - looks weird
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3090
    Points : 3122
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  franco on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 pm

    Could be scaffolding, top outer plates removed or both.

    Check out here... 44.605843, 33.533153

    rambo54

    Posts : 162
    Points : 164
    Join date : 2014-04-01

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  rambo54 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:57 am

    franco wrote:Could be scaffolding, top outer plates removed or both.

    Check out here... 44.605843, 33.533153

    That can't be Alrosa (switch to 17.8.16) ...maybe two of the 636 stopped over there as a visit before going to Novorossisk. Are there any fotos of visiting Kilos at Sevastopol? I thought I saw some...

    hoom

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1413
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  hoom on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:27 pm

    They have dumped it here 44.612831° 33.556905° (as of July 2017) - looks weird
    Fits with this pic I posted back in June 2016 that was said to be recent, file name dates as 13 June 2016.

    Google Earth has most recent image 17 August 2016 looking not notably different. Thats only 2 months later though.

    Its not in that location 8 Feb 2016, shows up on 9 April.
    There was a Kilo in the drydock North East of there for about a year prior (not there 20 Sept 2015, there 31 Oct -> still there 8 Feb 2016, gone 9 April).
    Pretty sure I can see the shroud in some of the pics -> thats Alrosa

    Also
    Militarov wrote:
    Beint on long term overhaul since 2014. Overhaul is supposed to be made of 3 phases, 2 phases are done and last phase is being performed atm. Its currently in the workshop hangars after on 18th April 2016. it was pulled from the dry dock.

    Edit: via Balancer this was posted 4 June this year


    Edit2: this one posted 27 Jan, there are differences between the 3 pics so some work going on at least.


    Edit3: Hmm Suspect
    After communicating with a person who works for Alrosa, it seems that the boat is deliberately being repaired for a long time following the example of the B-380 with the corresponding finale ...
    B-380 was a Tango that was 'undergoing modernisation' from 2000 - 2009 before deciding to scrap it.
    Understandable that they might give up on it given the 6 new boats but not sure why they'd deliberately drag out repairs if they're intending to get rid of it Question

    First 4 in Sevastopol
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 7369
    Points : 7463
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:58 pm

    hoom wrote:..................
    First 4 in Sevastopol

    Their home base is in Novorossysk. Funny to see them all in Sevastopol.

    Is base in Novorossysk completed?
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3090
    Points : 3122
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  franco on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 pm

    I don't believe their new Novorossysk facility is complete yet.

    rambo54

    Posts : 162
    Points : 164
    Join date : 2014-04-01

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  rambo54 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:18 pm

    regarding the latest discussion here are some high qualitiy pictures of the south bay - 636 is also visible
    https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/903973870679547904
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3090
    Points : 3122
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  franco on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:20 pm

    My understanding was the Alrosa was an experimental model with a different propulsion system. Seems like it has spent more time in dock then active if my memory serves me correctly.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 7369
    Points : 7463
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:36 pm

    .
    Different angles:






    More pics of missile loading here:
    https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/97510/

    rambo54

    Posts : 162
    Points : 164
    Join date : 2014-04-01

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  rambo54 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 am

    so they obviously use Sevastopol before Novorossisk construction is finished - right?
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 1148
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:26 pm

    rambo54 wrote:so they obviously use Sevastopol before Novorossisk construction is finished - right?

    If the base is not finished yes that would be a sensible move.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3090
    Points : 3122
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  franco on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 pm

    rambo54 wrote:so they obviously use Sevastopol before Novorossisk construction is finished - right?

    Was announced within the last month or so that some of the support units facilities were completed and they were turned over the keys.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6206
    Points : 6271
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

    The Russian Navy’s final two diesel-electric submarines have reached the Mediterranean Sea en route to their permanent homeport in the Black Sea, Russian defense ministry announced on August 28.

    Project 636.3 (NATO reporting name: improved Kilo-class) submarines Kolpino and Veliky Novgorod got underway this month from Saint Petersburg on the Baltic Sea where they were built by Admiralty Shipyards.

    On August 16, the submarines were escorted by NATO vessels as they traveled through the North Sea while surfaced.

    They are accompanied by Baltic Fleet tug SB-921 on their way to the Black Sea fleet where they will round off the Russian Navy’s goal of operating six improved Kilo-class submarines in the Black Sea.

    Prior to entering the Black Sea, the submarines are likely to spend some time in the Mediterranean taking part in Russian operations in Syria, similarly to what their predecessor Krasnodar did a month ago before docking in Sevastopol.


    https://thebalticpost.com/2017/08/28/russias-black-sea-fleet-soon-to-welcome-final-two-kilo-submarines/

    hoom

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1413
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  hoom on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:06 am

    Another Kalibr strike, this time 10 rounds, 6 from one sub, 4 from the other Shocked

    Unless they reloaded at-sea/in Tartus they must have left the Baltic with a full Kalibr loadout & no torps? Shocked

    Edit: I thought had been previously mentioned in this thread but there have been at least 2 previous salvoes from the 2 subs off Syria

    miroslav

    Posts : 100
    Points : 102
    Join date : 2016-11-16
    Location : Land of Serbia

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  miroslav on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:08 pm

    hoom wrote:Another Kalibr strike, this time 10 rounds, 6 from one sub, 4 from the other Shocked
    Unless they reloaded at-sea/in Tartus they must have left the Baltic with a full Kalibr loadout & no torps? Shocked

    Edit: I thought had been previously mentioned in this thread but there have been at least 2 previous salvoes from the 2 subs off Syria


    I am not sure I understand your question, why would the Kalibrs and Torpedos be mutually exclusive. Kilos can carry up to 18 torpedoes according to the specification, but any one of these can be a Kalibr missile.

    Some specs:
    1. Kalibr 3M14K variant for subs:
    Length: 6.2 m
    Diameter: 533 mm (obviously)

    2 Torpedos, 53-65 variant:
    Length: 7.2 m
    Diameter: 533 mm


    Last edited by miroslav on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info added)

    hoom

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1413
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  hoom on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:24 am

    Uh, maths fail sorry Embarassed
    I was counting 12 Kalibr launched thinking that was the capacity but with 18 they have room for some torps or another bunch of shots.

    Anyways: 6 round salvo is pretty impressive.

    hoom

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1413
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  hoom on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:40 am

    Another 6 missile salvo, this one from Kolpino


    There was also a 3 round salvo a few days back though the video I saw showed only 2, maybe 1 from the other sub?

    For the record there's also been a bunch of dumb National Interest style poop propaganda articles doing the rounds 'The Hunt for Krasnodar' notable primarily for there being several variants & showing up in places that don't normally carry that kind of tripe.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 7369
    Points : 7463
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:09 am

    '
    Remember 2 years ago when first Kilo launched 2 missiles simultaneously and it was considered awesome? All shy and nervous like teen girl on her first date?

    Now they're routinely dumping 6 missiles in one salvo like every day is a prom night...lol1
    avatar
    BM-21

    Posts : 40
    Points : 42
    Join date : 2017-09-30

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  BM-21 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 am

    I wonder if 6 Kalibr is the maximum capacity for this boat or could they load it with even more cruise missiles? According to some of the earlier posts the land attack variant of the Kalibr has smaller dimensions than the torpedoes that it carries.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 7369
    Points : 7463
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:02 am

    BM-21 wrote:I wonder if 6 Kalibr is the maximum capacity for this boat or could they load it with even more cruise missiles? According to some of the earlier posts the land attack variant of the Kalibr has smaller dimensions than the torpedoes that it carries.  

    It's smaller but once you add the external package it has same dimensions

    I think that next Lada class should have set of vertical launchers but I don't know if they will add them

    Amur export version was supposed to have it
    avatar
    BM-21

    Posts : 40
    Points : 42
    Join date : 2017-09-30

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  BM-21 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:36 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    BM-21 wrote:I wonder if 6 Kalibr is the maximum capacity for this boat or could they load it with even more cruise missiles? According to some of the earlier posts the land attack variant of the Kalibr has smaller dimensions than the torpedoes that it carries.  

    It's smaller but once you add the external package it has same dimensions

    I think that next Lada class should have set of vertical launchers but I don't know if they will add them

    Amur export version was supposed to have it

    A kilo with 18 cruise missiles would be interesting given that the capability exists.

    hoom

    Posts : 1423
    Points : 1413
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  hoom on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 am

    I wonder if 6 Kalibr is the maximum capacity for this boat or could they load it with even more cruise missiles?
    As I posted earlier I'm pretty sure at least one of these subs has fired 12* including a full 6* round salvo, I think both must be over 12* with this latest salvo.

    I hope/wish someone has been keeping proper count.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 3090
    Points : 3122
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  franco on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:54 pm

    It is my understanding that they cannot reload Caliber into the torpedo tubes at sea, so 10 or 6 depending on the variant of sub would be the max.
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1814
    Points : 1965
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  TheArmenian on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:48 pm

    franco wrote:It is my understanding that they cannot reload Caliber into the torpedo tubes at sea, so 10 or 6 depending on the variant of sub would be the max.

    Incorrect.

    The subs carry a mix of Kalibers and torpedoes and can load, unload and reload all their tubes while at sea.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Project 877/636: Kilo class SSK

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:58 pm