Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Project 885: Yasen class

    Share
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1503
    Points : 1541
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Location : Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm

    artjomh wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Figured this was gonna happen. Import substitution doesnt happen in a day or even a year.

    Kazan doesn't use any Ukrainian components, genius.

    budget or technical difficulties then? They mentioned difficulties but for press might be another story.
    avatar
    sepheronx
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 7264
    Points : 7564
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 27
    Location : Canada

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 pm

    artjomh wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Figured this was gonna happen. Import substitution doesnt happen in a day or even a year.

    Kazan doesn't use any Ukrainian components, genius.

    Didnt say anything about ukrainian components. And that is what the article stated about import substitution. Asshole.

    According to him, the reason for another delay is "the novelty of the project." "The head boat is always built much longer than a series one," said the source. "In addition, the industry capacity, including in terms of import substitution, are insufficient, as the Kazan sub should have exclusively Russian-made electronic equipment and other ‘stuff.’"
    avatar
    artjomh
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 151
    Points : 187
    Join date : 2015-07-17

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  artjomh on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:36 am

    ExBeobachter1987 wrote:
    artjomh wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:Figured this was gonna happen. Import substitution doesnt happen in a day or even a year.

    Kazan doesn't use any Ukrainian components, genius.

    Were any western components used?
    Import substitution is about replacing Ukrainian and Western components.

    No.

    That was the original (supposedly ONLY) difference between Severodvinsk and Kazan. All submarines starting with Kazan got only indigenous components. This change was waaaay before the Ukraine adventure. Kazan was laid down in 2009, for people who don't remember.

    This is not a post-2014 change. This is how it was planned from the start.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16009
    Points : 16666
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  GarryB on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:40 am

    Cut the name calling... it makes you look like children.

    Also import substitution can effect production and projects in many ways... a product that includes no foreign parts at all can be effected if one of the companies supplying parts has had to prioritise production of other components needed for other projects.

    For instance turbine generators made in Russia by Saturn might be delayed because production is being prepared at Saturn for producing gas turbine engines for Frigates and Destroyers and corvettes that were otherwise made in the Ukraine or Germany.

    Or batteries made for the subs are delayed because lots of other projects now need Russian made batteries or other support equipment that was not previously planned for.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    jhelb
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 424
    Points : 490
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  jhelb on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 pm

    artjomh wrote:All submarines starting with Kazan got only indigenous components.

    artjomh, can a submarine fire torpedos at an [adversary] submarine that is behind it (maybe by changing gyro angles)? Thanks.
    avatar
    artjomh
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 151
    Points : 187
    Join date : 2015-07-17

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  artjomh on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 pm

    jhelb wrote:
    artjomh wrote:All submarines starting with Kazan got only indigenous components.

    artjomh, can a submarine fire torpedos at an [adversary] submarine that is behind it (maybe by changing gyro angles)? Thanks.

    Why not?

    Even in Word War II submarines used to fire torpedoes at targets with bearing over 45 deg, using stern torpedo tubes. You don't have stern tubes anymore because torpedos can maneuver now (and ship structure is radically different today), but the principle is pretty much the same.

    There was even one incident during WW2 where an American submarine essentially torpedoed itself because the torpedo circled around back on the mother sub.
    avatar
    AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1287
    Points : 1294
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  AlfaT8 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:43 am

    artjomh wrote:
    jhelb wrote:
    artjomh wrote:All submarines starting with Kazan got only indigenous components.

    artjomh, can a submarine fire torpedos at an [adversary] submarine that is behind it (maybe by changing gyro angles)? Thanks.

    Why not?

    Even in Word War II submarines used to fire torpedoes at targets with bearing over 45 deg, using stern torpedo tubes. You don't have stern tubes anymore because torpedos can maneuver now (and ship structure is radically different today), but the principle is pretty much the same.

    There was even one incident during WW2 where an American submarine essentially torpedoed itself because the torpedo circled around back on the mother sub.

    Those were just the tip of the iceberg back then.
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10009
    Points : 10497
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  George1 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:51 pm

    Russian Pacific Fleet to get first Yasen sub 2017-2018 — deputy commander

    i expected more speed in construction of yasen class


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10009
    Points : 10497
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  George1 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 am

    Fifth submarine Project 885 "Ash" will be laid on Sevmash in 2016


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Isos
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 588
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Isos on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:09 pm

    What are the capacities of the Yasen's sonar ?

    I just found on the wikipedia article of the Astute class that its Thales 2056 sonar is the best and was tested against a Virginia class.

    Do you have some article in English about russian sonars ?
    avatar
    PapaDragon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4351
    Points : 4459
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  PapaDragon on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:16 pm


    Severodvinsk testing complete:

    http://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/75512/
    avatar
    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2999
    Points : 3031
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  max steel on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:52 pm

    Russia's Next Super Submarine Is Almost Ready for War

    avatar
    x_54_u43
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 187
    Points : 207
    Join date : 2015-09-19

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  x_54_u43 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:09 am

    Isos wrote:What are the capacities of the Yasen's sonar   ?

    I just found on the wikipedia article of the Astute class that its Thales 2056 sonar is the best and was tested against a Virginia class.

    Do you have some article in English about russian sonars ?

    Found your problem.

    Also, forget about trying to find information on one of the most sensitive pieces of equipment on a submarine that is brand new.
    avatar
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 10009
    Points : 10497
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  George1 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 am

    Severodvinsk tested firings of torpedo "Физик".

    http://eagle-rost.livejournal.com/633373.html


    _________________
    "There's no smoke without fire.", Georgy Zhukov

    avatar
    Isos
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 588
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Isos on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:28 pm

    x_54_u43 wrote:
    Isos wrote:What are the capacities of the Yasen's sonar   ?

    I just found on the wikipedia article of the Astute class that its Thales 2056 sonar is the best and was tested against a Virginia class.

    Do you have some article in English about russian sonars ?

    Found your problem.

    Also, forget about trying to find information on one of the most sensitive pieces of equipment on a submarine that is brand new.

    It's not said just on wikipedia that French sonars are among the best.

    I didn't meant technical information but some interview of ex sailors about their experience, or something like that.

    I have read once on an article a comment (looked like it was true but who knows) made by an ex french sailor who said during a nato maritime exercice consisting in finding ennemy subs, a soviet sub surfaced in the center of the nato formation undetected while all the ships had activated their active search sonars. The immadiatly ended the exercice and tried to found it.
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

    Posts : 344
    Points : 348
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:00 pm

    Isos wrote:
    x_54_u43 wrote:
    Isos wrote:What are the capacities of the Yasen's sonar   ?

    I just found on the wikipedia article of the Astute class that its Thales 2056 sonar is the best and was tested against a Virginia class.

    Do you have some article in English about russian sonars ?

    Found your problem.

    Also, forget about trying to find information on one of the most sensitive pieces of equipment on a submarine that is brand new.

    It's not said just on wikipedia that French sonars are among the best.

    I didn't meant technical information but some interview of ex sailors about their experience, or something like that.

    I have read once on an article a comment (looked like it was true but who knows) made by an ex french sailor who said during a nato maritime exercice consisting in finding ennemy subs, a soviet sub surfaced in the center of the nato formation undetected while all the ships had activated their active search sonars. The immadiatly ended the exercice and tried to found it.

    you ever find any historical backing for this, that sounds like it would be an interesting read.
    avatar
    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5374
    Points : 5419
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Militarov on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm

    Militarov wrote:"Severodvinsk" (885):





    Testing Kalibr













    avatar
    Isos
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 584
    Points : 588
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Isos on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:38 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    x_54_u43 wrote:
    Isos wrote:What are the capacities of the Yasen's sonar   ?

    I just found on the wikipedia article of the Astute class that its Thales 2056 sonar is the best and was tested against a Virginia class.

    Do you have some article in English about russian sonars ?

    Found your problem.

    Also, forget about trying to find information on one of the most sensitive pieces of equipment on a submarine that is brand new.

    It's not said just on wikipedia that French sonars are among the best.

    I didn't meant technical information but some interview of ex sailors about their experience, or something like that.

    I have read once on an article a comment (looked like it was true but who knows) made by an ex french sailor who said during a nato maritime exercice consisting in finding ennemy subs, a soviet sub surfaced in the center of the nato formation undetected while all the ships had activated their active search sonars. The immadiatly ended the exercice and tried to found it.

    you ever find any historical backing for this, that sounds like it would be an interesting read.

    No I didn't. The better articles are made by ex sailors that tell their experiences but it's difficult to find them.

    Singular_trafo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 134
    Points : 134
    Join date : 2016-04-16

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Singular_trafo on Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm

    x_54_u43 wrote:
    Isos wrote:What are the capacities of the Yasen's sonar   ?

    I just found on the wikipedia article of the Astute class that its Thales 2056 sonar is the best and was tested against a Virginia class.

    Do you have some article in English about russian sonars ?

    Found your problem.

    Also, forget about trying to find information on one of the most sensitive pieces of equipment on a submarine that is brand new.


    The build in main sonar of the submarines good only against noisy targets,active searching and for communication.

    The main sonar to detect enemy submarines is the towed sonar(s) .

    The main sonar performance practically irrelevant .Even a side flank array can give higher detection performance the the main spherical or cylindrical array.


    Of course you has to rotate the ship to to scann all direction, but that is a small penalty compared to the performance.


    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5996
    Points : 6398
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Austin on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:35 am

    Yasen


    Austin
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5996
    Points : 6398
    Join date : 2010-05-08
    Location : India

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Austin on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:58 am

    Is Sonar of Yasen same as shown in this graphic ? I can see a huge rectangular sonar on the middle of the hull


    Singular_trafo
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 134
    Points : 134
    Join date : 2016-04-16

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Singular_trafo on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 pm

    Austin wrote:Is Sonar of Yasen same as shown in this graphic ? I can see a huge rectangular sonar on the middle of the hull


    Implausible.

    Very expensive.More sensible if they using several,small sensor block installed in a line on the side of the submarine, say at least with 1.5 meter distance each.
    avatar
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 16009
    Points : 16666
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  GarryB on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:22 am

    a rectangle that size looks more like a crew compartment area like living quarters or the command area, or the location of something like an AIP etc etc.

    Of course the flank arrays can be enormous on a Soviet or Russian sub as they are outside of the pressure hull...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    TheRealist
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 78
    Points : 112
    Join date : 2012-08-20

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  TheRealist on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:28 pm

    Perm is now officially a go.

    Sdelanounas.ru

    avatar
    hoom
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

    Posts : 415
    Points : 415
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  hoom on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:35 pm

    That section looks kinda narrow for such a big Sub Suspect

    Regarding that large rectangle on the side, there are a couple of pics of Severodvinsk launch that show some kind of rectangle there, a big passive array seems pretty likely to me.


    Sponsored content

    Re: Project 885: Yasen class

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 am